People chill tho jeez. I see no other OS out there adding new features to their platform every 6 months.
    That is because they already have the features we are waiting for and have had them for awhile now. I don't know about anyone else but I want the functionality that every other system takes for granted. I can care less about the fluff make it more functional.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-14-12 09:40 AM
    No other OS gives you 1. Bridge SMS, 2. Another OS baked in (Android Runtime), 3. Bridge over wifi... All theses are unique to BlackBerry and the playbook. So again these are new features that RIM is offering. The playbook as is... Is fully functional all it lacks is are apps, not core features.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    09-14-12 12:01 PM
    What will people complain about after 2.1 is released? Where is BB10!!! RIM promised us! ... As far as I remember they said 2.1 was coming, but they didn't say when. If they release a bugged filled 2.1 your the same ones that will be making 5 of the same threads complaining. Even with a bugged free 2.1 people will still be displeased by something or another. In my opinion 2.0.1.668 is a solid build. I think they should iron out and optimize the UI to be smoother than jam pack more features but that's my opinion. However BB10 OS seems very fluid and responsive so I suppose I won't have to worry about keyboard and ui laggs.

People chill tho jeez. I see no other OS out there adding new features to their platform every 6 months.
    I just want my tablet to be able to do what the other 1 billion tablets can do. Am i asking for anything special here?

I've never asked for an Android Player and would have been better if they didn't bring it. Now developers can just convert their android apk to bar and submit it and move on to iOS or Android. They don't even care about the BB QNX OS platform and how better their native apps would be on the Playbook.

I just want BB apps and a solid OS.
    Last edited by rupam95; 09-14-12 at 01:35 PM.
    09-14-12 01:29 PM
    No other OS gives you 1. Bridge SMS, 2. Another OS baked in (Android Runtime), 3. Bridge over wifi... All theses are unique to BlackBerry and the playbook. So again these are new features that RIM is offering. The playbook as is... Is fully functional all it lacks is are apps, not core features.
    Where are you getting SMS on your pb? As far as I know that isn't an option until 2.1 final and a bridge update. Android runtime doesn't give me native functions and I don't want an apple product that requires third party apps for function.

It most definitely lacks core features and functionality. Have you tried to attach a picture to an email out of hundreds of pictures? How about when you're in word to go and you want to send your file?

I do love the UI and the swiping but it is still definitely lacking in features and function that I guess we won't see until the thing is over 2 years old and suffering from a battery that will no longer hold a charge.

I admit I do like using it and I use it most of the time but it's still a frustration for doing some basic things. I can care less about the apps a lot want, give me function with me not needing to buy an app or use some convoluted work around to do it.

And if anyone thinks the 2.1 beta is good enough then I think you should just stay on it no matter how many updates come out. I used the beta and it certainly is not good enough unless you like mediocrity or are a developer which it was made for to develop.

No hater here I just lost my rose colored glasses. Am still hoping they can get it done.
    sagec and Mr Donut like this.
    09-14-12 01:36 PM
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned it because I didn't read through all the pages, but here it goes:

I think 2.1 will come out along side the phone release of BB10. We know BB10 will come later than the phones(by a few months from everything I had seen) than the Playbook.

Why do I think it will come along side? This is just speculation but BB10 will launch with a new Bridge(since it can't use the OS7 app) and with it will come the feature we have been waiting for(SMS). With that 2.1 will come out and it will be complete. That will give us time to be happy with OS 2.1 until BB10 comes to the Playbook.

This is just my own guess as to the reason for the delay. They are waiting until BB10 or shortly before it before releasing it.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    09-14-12 10:37 PM
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned it because I didn't read through all the pages, but here it goes:

I think 2.1 will come out along side the phone release of BB10. We know BB10 will come later than the phones(by a few months from everything I had seen) than the Playbook.

Why do I think it will come along side? This is just speculation but BB10 will launch with a new Bridge(since it can't use the OS7 app) and with it will come the feature we have been waiting for(SMS). With that 2.1 will come out and it will be complete. That will give us time to be happy with OS 2.1 until BB10 comes to the Playbook.

This is just my own guess as to the reason for the delay. They are waiting until BB10 or shortly before it before releasing it.
    Could be.

But i have waited too long and i'm getting tired of missed promises. :'(
    09-14-12 11:07 PM
    Where are you getting SMS on your pb? As far as I know that isn't an option until 2.1 final and a bridge update.
    That's what I am saying, The 2.1 that everyone is wondering where it is.. That's what's coming (SMS bridge, better android and wifi bridge). For me, id rather have RIM spend as much time on the beta and ensure for a smoother experience... Those are all additional features that playbook owners will have that is unique to their tablet and i believe it should be appreciated that's all.

No OS is perfect and I believe RIM is getting a beating. Ofcourse its their own doing, had they launched the playbook when ipad and android was at 1... They would be better off. But everyone is expecting a new OS to compete bug free with the 6th iteration from apple (ios 6), and the umpteenth from Google (jelly bean). As the OS matures we will see more of these problems resolved. I for one think RIM has done a wonderful job in such a short time... They are catching up well IMO while staying true and unique.
    09-14-12 11:33 PM
    That's what I am saying, The 2.1 that everyone is wondering where it is.. That's what's coming (SMS bridge, better android and wifi bridge). For me, id rather have RIM spend as much time on the beta and ensure for a smoother experience... Those are all additional features that playbook owners will have that is unique to their tablet and i believe it should be appreciated that's all.

No OS is perfect and I believe RIM is getting a beating. Ofcourse its their own doing, had they launched the playbook when ipad and android was at 1... They would be better off. But everyone is expecting a new OS to compete bug free with the 6th iteration from apple (ios 6), and the umpteenth from Google (jelly bean). As the OS matures we will see more of these problems resolved. I for one think RIM has done a wonderful job in such a short time... They are catching up well IMO while staying true and unique.

I love PB Noobs. They are so positive about things.

Maybe after a year more of waiting they might feel like us, who have had this thing for over a year now and are tired of waiting.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    balding1 and cdelcampo216 like this.
    09-14-12 11:41 PM
    I can't Update My BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS 1.0 to OS 2.0 I Have A Problem It says Your Blackberry Playbook Tablet can not connect to update server Please Turn Off or Retry when i click retry it says You can't Please Restart... What is THAT BIG AND BAD PROBLEM OHHH I bought it a month ago... ?????????????? PLEASEE HELPPPP Thank You
    09-15-12 02:06 AM
    This is what RIM support is for.
    Call them.
    antiRIM likes this.
    09-15-12 10:15 AM
    Since you just bought it a month ago, go ahead and call The BlackBerry PlayBook support 1-800 #. They should be able to talk you through it step-by-step.

In your description of the problem, you mentioned that it said "Please restart". Did you do that? Did you try to run the software update after the restart? Could you plug your PB into laptop or desktop computer that has BlackBerry Desktop Software on it? If your PB is still on OS 1, it may be suffering from some of the earlier wifi issues. By plugging it into a computer with DS, you will be prompted to run the update using the computers Internet connection. After you get that done, it should be smooth sailing.

Let us know how you make out.
    09-15-12 10:28 AM
    well a lot of things could be improved in the next release. sms bridge and bridge over wifi is good, but picture handling is just awful. since pb is a multimedia device as well (I know, it's for people, who do things), I have thousands of pictures on my pb. if I load up the photos applicarion, the oldest picture is at the top. if I want to check out the latest one, I have to spend infinite time scrolling, because there isn't a scrollbar. it would be nice if at least I could switch to directory view or even better, this directory would group my pictures by years and months and only then would I have to deal with the thumbnails
    android applications are impossible to kill, and even if I close the player, some applications are still eating up pb resources. a task manager is needed.
    there should be an option to instruct pb to turn off radio in standby.
    also, if pb is bridged, I get redundant mail and calendar notification. it would be nice if pb would temporarially disable native notifications while bridged.
    and of course the usual complains: no skype, no voip, no native gtalk client.
    copying files over wifi is incredibly slow.
    I could go on, but whoever says playbook couldn't use a bit of powerup by a new os is either seriously biased, or doesn't even use his device.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-15-12 01:42 PM
    A couple of tips. If you want to go to the bottom of the list in the file browser, you don't need to scroll. Just hit the search icon, then put a . (period) in the input box- that will take you to the end. Second, don't use the stock file browser- use Ghost Commander. Ghost is a file browser that sees the full file structure of the PB, has thumbnails of pics (size of which can be adjusted in settings) and files can be organized by date, name, size etc. Pics and other files can be launched within Ghost or sent to other apps (Messages, for example, attached to an email). Third, as to the android player freezing, this is almost non existant in the beta 2.1.
    belidzs likes this.
    09-15-12 02:25 PM
    also, if pb is bridged, I get redundant mail and calendar notification. it would be nice if pb would temporarially disable native notifications while bridged.
    pretty simple fix for this: if you don't want to receive redundant notifications you can do so thru the device properties menu on the Bridge app that is installed on ur phone. It allows you to enable/disable notifications for each bridged apps, and for email and calendar gives you granular control over each email account.
    09-15-12 06:28 PM
    A couple of things that I want to add regarding those who are complaining about those of us who are ....complaining about the device/OS/updates.

We, the people who are frustrated and are complaining (I am one of those), are doing so because we forked out our savings account to by a tool, a piece of entertainment, to look cool or whatever. We are CUSTOMERS, we are not fans. We do not follow blindly any company, be it BB, iOS, Android, Windows. We BUY from a company.

And since we give them our money, we DEMAND, yes, we demand a better service, updates, a better to previous OS. If we don't get that we will move on. We don't care how much workload this will involve, we don't care how much this will cost, we are not programmers. And certainly we are not "fans". We are consumers. And we will not be the ones who will loose. We will just find a sucker to buy our device on eBay and put the money towards another tool, entertainment device, something we will look cool with.

Finally, if the RIM guys are so incompetent to deliver here is a suggestion. Invite/license the Linux community (QNX is based on Linux) to take over, give them for free some PBs and promise them a percentage of the earnings. Soon you will have a large consumer base, updates/upgrades faster than what the RIM's CEO ever dreamt of and RIM can then focus on doing whatever it was doing all this time - whatever that was.

Thanks
    FF22, belidzs and Fmar like this.
    09-16-12 08:57 AM
    A couple of things that I want to add regarding those who are complaining about those of us who are ....complaining about the device/OS/updates.

We, the people who are frustrated and are complaining (I am one of those), are doing so because we forked out our savings account to by a tool, a piece of entertainment, to look cool or whatever. We are CUSTOMERS, we are not fans. We do not follow blindly any company, be it BB, iOS, Android, Windows. We BUY from a company.

And since we give them our money, we DEMAND, yes, we demand a better service, updates, a better to previous OS. If we don't get that we will move on. We don't care how much workload this will involve, we don't care how much this will cost, we are not programmers. And certainly we are not "fans". We are consumers. And we will not be the ones who will loose. We will just find a sucker to buy our device on eBay and put the money towards another tool, entertainment device, something we will look cool with.

Finally, if the RIM guys are so incompetent to deliver here is a suggestion. Invite/license the Linux community (QNX is based on Linux) to take over, give them for free some PBs and promise them a percentage of the earnings. Soon you will have a large consumer base, updates/upgrades faster than what the RIM's CEO ever dreamt of and RIM can then focus on doing whatever it was doing all this time - whatever that was.

Thanks
    QNX is NOT based on Linux!

It is much older than Linux. Good grief!
    JRAtk027, blue_k and hpjrt like this.
    09-16-12 09:45 AM
    QNX is NOT based on Linux!

It is much older than Linux. Good grief!
    Thank you for enlightening me. Now that I know what QNX really is, I will stick to the playbook. I can now see the perfection in it.

Thanks
    09-16-12 10:42 AM
    Geez....reading threads like this is exhausting! If you don't like you PlayBook or BlackBerry, then try out another platform you think you will like. I have tried numerous other platforms and keep coming back to BlackBerry over and over again. I choose to use my PlayBook because I like it....2.1 will come when it is ready. I am running 2.1 BETA and it seems stable and definitely is an improvement. I too can't wait for the official 2.1 with SMS over Bridge and WiFi Bridge but I enjoy my PlayBook. There is really nothing else out there like a BB 9900 bridged to a PlayBook to get sh*t done!
    jafobabe and bambinoitaliano like this.
    09-16-12 11:30 AM
    I don't really want to hijack the thread here but it's sort of related. Many of you mention to get the beta by signing up to the dev program. So, if I was to do this and get it working, what happens if/when a non-beta version comes out? Do you just update over top of the beta or do you wipe and install the new release? Just curious.

I am not sure I want to go through the hassle of installing a beta that may/may not mess up any future releases and cause me upgrade headaches in the future.

Feedback appreciated...
    09-16-12 04:34 PM
    I don't really want to hijack the thread here but it's sort of related. Many of you mention to get the beta by signing up to the dev program. So, if I was to do this and get it working, what happens if/when a non-beta version comes out? Do you just update over top of the beta or do you wipe and install the new release? Just curious.

I am not sure I want to go through the hassle of installing a beta that may/may not mess up any future releases and cause me upgrade headaches in the future.

Feedback appreciated...
    No one can be sure but generally you should be able to migrate to an official OS (if it ever comes) without issues. But it is BETA and anything could happen. Back up your unique data manually and also with Desktop Software before doing anything else.
    09-16-12 06:52 PM
    No one can be sure but generally you should be able to migrate to an official OS (if it ever comes) without issues. But it is BETA and anything could happen. Back up your unique data manually and also with Desktop Software before doing anything else.
    Ok, thanks for your reply. I think I will hang tight at the moment and research this update a bit more before taking the plunge.

I just got the PB yesterday and finally got it reliably connected to my network (D-link 825N) after many hours of frustration (had to go with G mode connectivity instead of N on a Guest Mode network setup for it). I quite like the Playbook now that I can use it online though. Watching the demo HD video on it is awesome. If this N network bug didn't appear I would be perfectly content and that's really the reason I was going to try the beta in the first place.
    09-16-12 07:42 PM
    What would you think of releasing the 10 software prior to the handheld release to try and build some "chatter" on the forums? You know RIM isn't going to get the love from the media, so they need to go the grass route method. At least this is my opinion. I'm hoping the new cmo can kickstart a new era of advertising.
    09-16-12 09:09 PM
    What would you think of releasing the 10 software prior to the handheld release to try and build some "chatter" on the forums? You know RIM isn't going to get the love from the media, so they need to go the grass route method. At least this is my opinion. I'm hoping the new cmo can kickstart a new era of advertising.
    They will first release 10 to other "new" hardware to sell some hardware then they may release it to this playbook.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-16-12 10:03 PM
    They will first release 10 to other "new" hardware to sell some hardware then they may release it to this playbook.
    ^^^^ This!

RIM aren't going to squander their flagship OS, with all that's resting on it in terms of bringing the company back from the brink, by releasing it first on a tablet that is "getting-on" in technology terms and also has a vanishingly small market penetration.

They want BB10 on phones as a unique selling proposition, and they want those phones to sell like hot-cakes. If they don't sell, it's game-over. If they do sell, then BB10 will/may (delete according to your personal feelings ) come to PB some while after the outcome is clear.
    09-17-12 01:09 AM
    I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I'm waiting on BB10 on the PlayBook before I go out and buy a BB10 phone. I want to make sure it's everything I expect it to be. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other PB owners feel the same way, and that'd be a good way to get them buying early.
    09-17-12 02:36 AM
105 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD