I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I'm waiting on BB10 on the PlayBook before I go out and buy a BB10 phone. I want to make sure it's everything I expect it to be. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other PB owners feel the same way, and that'd be a good way to get them buying early.
    ya, i feel exactly the same say. I too would like to use BB10 on playbook first. But god know when.! I think bb10 os will come out in March and it will be available to PB around june or July 2013. Seemingly, it will take about an year for bb10 to come to PB. AND THATS REALLY FRUSTRATING
    09-17-12 02:41 AM
    Releasing BB10 on the Playbook first...

1. ... would use up already limited resources to produce the BB10 phones.
    2. ... would create no additional revenue for RIM as the Playbooks were already written off and are currently sold at a loss.
    3. ... would make current users ecstatic about BB10 but frustrated that they couldn't buy a BB10 phone immediately.
    09-17-12 02:56 AM
    Releasing BB10 on the Playbook first...

1. ... would use up already limited resources to produce the BB10 phones.
    2. ... would create no additional revenue for RIM as the Playbooks were already written off and are currently sold at a loss.
    3. ... would make current users ecstatic about BB10 but frustrated that they couldn't buy a BB10 phone immediately.
    what about those of us who paid 699$ for Playbook? RIM will bring BB10 to playbook aparantly an year later than its launch just because of its own problem ?
    Last edited by abhishekpradhan32; 09-17-12 at 03:29 AM.
    09-17-12 03:24 AM
    what about those of us who paid 699$ for Playbook? RIM will bring BB10 to playbook aparantly an year later than its launch just because of its own problem ?
    The company's survival is on the line. How exactly does it help RIM to push out BB10 for the Playbook and potentially have no BB10 phones by their revised, already late, deadline? Another delay could kill them and having BB10 on the Playbook early wouldn't mean much after that.

The BB10 phones will be a source of revenue/potential profit, unlike the current Playbooks sold at a loss. BB10 phones can also grow the number of BB10 users, thus encouraging developers.
    bitek likes this.
    09-17-12 01:09 PM
    Meh, can't see what 2.1 would do for me that I can't already do with 2.0.
    09-17-12 01:12 PM
    Guys, think about it. Where did Alec Saunders work before joining RIM? Yes Microsoft. And after attending a RIM press meeting I had the feeling that I have heard what he said before, but it wasn't until I learned that he previously worked at Microsoft that the coin dropped.

So I wondered if RIM used the same speechwriter or marketing company as Microsoft used for Windows 98?

-More secure
    -Faster
    -More than blah million lines of code
    -Consumer friendly
    -App Friendly

djjmaddox likes this.
    09-19-12 04:28 PM
    Meh, can't see what 2.1 would do for me that I can't already do with 2.0.
    - separating android apps so that one can crash and you still run the others -or that's what I'm told.
    - allowing us to handle USB mem keys... (but here probably I dream)
    09-20-12 04:08 AM
    - separating android apps so that one can crash and you still run the others -or that's what I'm told.
    - allowing us to handle USB mem keys... (but here probably I dream)
    That would be a big step up. If they could also improve the UI, so you really can't tell when it's an android app (ideally if you swipe from the top down you'd get the back menu at the top, not at the bottom).
    09-20-12 06:56 PM
    People should not be frustrated. You bought devices from a company that is simply ******** and they live in another cosmic dimension where time is slower than in the rest of the world and where competitors do not exist, when it comes to updates you know that you will be stuck with the firmware version that the device came with, the solely purpose of rumours about OS updates or "amazing" apps that are around the corner is to momentarily give you the impression that you have an exciting device in your hands and your hard earned money are well spent, and finally you are doing your best to find reviews in google that will confirm your illusionary belief (or reinforce it) that BB or PB is simply the best thingy out there. When a new update will arrive, just pray that it will not make you spend your nights trying to figure out how to downgrade to the previous "working" OS version. Do not forget....RIM's favourite word is "SOON" which usually (actually always) has the meaning of "sometime in the infinite" future. Good luck and enjoy.
    This sounds as if only rim has issues like that. Popular Samsung galaxy tab just got update to android 4.0. Yet 4.1 is already out. It will take Samsung another year to release 4.1. Recently Microsoft phones are not compatible with latest 8.0 and so on and so on. So your "soon" should be put into context imo.
    09-21-12 08:15 PM
    As loyal as I have been to blackberry I finally admitted to myself that they have failed and it ill just be a slow decline now until they drop the playbook. They simply cannot get their act together. I think they will eventually recede back to solely being a phone manufacturer and stick with it.

Delays, disappointments, broken promises and now we have seen the playbook actually have an os update pulled and customers told to downgrade. There will not be a 2.1, it should be obvious to all RIM is throwing all their eggs into the bb10 basket. It will be the playbook's waterloo, as it will be released late again (I say now late q1 or early q2 of 2013) and will be full of bugs and a disappointment.

I would look for early summer 2013 to see from Thorsten or whoever a very craftily constructed statement saying that RIM is dropping all projects outside of phones so they can "concentrate on where their strengths lie"; the stock having approached the $1 point by then. We may even see rimm become a penny stock.
    09-21-12 08:53 PM
    For missing the 2.1 release date, I didn't know they had a specific date for it. As for skipping 2.1, I didn't know that they said they were going to. As for pushing back BB10 even more, I didn't realize that they stated that they would.

I think that OS2.1 come out sometime between now and BB10 (they made a beta version of 2.1 that is already pretty stable, so they should release it).

I think that BB10 phones come out *around* the same time as they push BB10 to PlayBooks (isn't is meant to be a universal BB OS? Maybe some tweaks will be needed, but the foundation will be there).

My understanding of it is that 2.1 was never meant to be the be all, end all OS, it is a side project in *support* of us PlayBook users. Sure their eggs are all in the basket for BB10 and that is no secret, RIM's main project is BB10, and that is why they are looking at *perfection*. They are competing with Apple and Google, they need perfection.

I am saying what I haven't heard, so if I am wrong, tell me.

I believe that BlackBerry phones have a good chunk of users, and that PlayBook has another few hundred thousand (quarter million, half million, whatever). If BB10 unifies the two then that means app developers can make essentially 1 app and with the combined larger customer base, the higher the chance of apps being developed for it. If BB10 turns out to be great and there are apps than the tablets and the phones sales will grow. The more revenue RIM gets the more resources they will have to provide faster updates and better services.

There are steps involved for RIM which they should not jump and I'd imagine by merging tablets and phones together it will be much better for RIM than sticking to just phones. Maybe I am the only one that sees this as tactical and that they learned from their horrible run and gun method they used with the PlayBook (which was great and still great hardware wise).
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-22-12 02:36 AM
    (they made a beta version of 2.1 that is already pretty stable, so they should release it)
    yea and I have to ask myself, why haven't they? something is wrong with this picture.
    09-22-12 08:56 AM
    If they release the beta as is as an official that would be a fail. It is still buggy and missing features that were said to be in 2.1. That would give more bad press and worse than delaying a never promised released date, time frame or whatever.
    09-22-12 09:03 AM
    Nothing wrong imo. Its software and i think the only "problem" is that Thorsten will not settle for less. I believe he was handed the 2.1 release candidate and for whatever reason he felt it wasnt ready. He has shown he wants things released when they are ready to be released not when the consumer is ready for it to be released.

We will see 2.1 early this week and it will have a few surprises to quiet down all the negative nellys. Im looking forward to it. Apps built with cascades are so awesome looking and BlackBerry10 is built using cascades. Just watch what happens when BB!0 is released people are gonna go ape sh!t over it. And isnt it a comforting thought to know that our PlaayBooks will be getting this new OS? People can lol at PlayBook users all they want but mark my words,we will soon have that last laugh. This tablet was a great investment imo thats why i bought a few

Have a look at the power of cascades http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...viewer-743674/
    09-22-12 09:13 AM
    Nothing wrong imo. Its software and i think the only "problem" is that Thorsten will not settle for less. I believe he was handed the 2.1 release candidate and for whatever reason he felt it wasnt ready. He has shown he wants things released when they are ready to be released not when the consumer is ready for it to be released.

We will see 2.1 early this week and it will have a few surprises to quiet down all the negative nellys. Im looking forward to it. Apps built with cascades are so awesome looking and BlackBerry10 is built using cascades. Just watch what happens when BB!0 is released people are gonna go ape sh!t over it. And isnt it a comforting thought to know that our PlaayBooks will be getting this new OS? People can lol at PlayBook users all they want but mark my words,we will soon have that last laugh. This tablet was a great investment imo thats why i bought a few

Have a look at the power of cascades http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...viewer-743674/
    I love your optimism and hope you're right. Having owned my pb for a year and watched its slow, often painful, progression I would love it to become a true contender in the tablet arena. This last release and almost immediate pull of OS .668 has left me skeptical and worried for the future of the pb. Bring it on RIM. It's pretty much do or die time.
    09-22-12 09:24 AM
    If they release the beta as is as an official that would be a fail. It is still buggy and missing features that were said to be in 2.1. That would give more bad press and worse than delaying a never promised released date, time frame or whatever.
    It isn't really buggy (for me at least), and not sure what major features it is missing that was promised. Either way, what I mean is that if BB10 is coming around quicker than 2.1 (and lets hope), then they will probably just release the 2.1 that they currently have internally. They have some sort of 2.1 already made and they won't just skip over it and scrap it. If it is missing a few features, nobody will really care because if in that *particular scenario* then BB10 is around the corner. Either way, RIM will probably release 2.1. Maybe not on your official release date, but rather on their own official release date.

yea and I have to ask myself, why haven't they? something is wrong with this picture.
    There is nothing wrong with this picture, it is not the most funded project or the most staffed project at RIM, nor should it be. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but there was no official date to release the official version. You can still get the Beta and it really is very stable (at least for me) if 2.1 is that important to you. For me 2.1 was important (I wanted Portrait modes for e-mail, calendar, and contacts as well as I wanted individual Android players). I downloaded the 2.1 Beta and well I forget that it is even a beta version.
    El Bori likes this.
    09-22-12 11:58 AM
    As loyal as I have been to blackberry I finally admitted to myself that they have failed and it ill just be a slow decline now until they drop the playbook. They simply cannot get their act together. I think they will eventually recede back to solely being a phone manufacturer and stick with it.

Delays, disappointments, broken promises and now we have seen the playbook actually have an os update pulled and customers told to downgrade. There will not be a 2.1, it should be obvious to all RIM is throwing all their eggs into the bb10 basket. It will be the playbook's waterloo, as it will be released late again (I say now late q1 or early q2 of 2013) and will be full of bugs and a disappointment.

I would look for early summer 2013 to see from Thorsten or whoever a very craftily constructed statement saying that RIM is dropping all projects outside of phones so they can "concentrate on where their strengths lie"; the stock having approached the $1 point by then. We may even see rimm become a penny stock.
    Try not to be too emotional.

1. It's just a device
    2. TBF you bought it for what it did when you bought it, not for what it might do. I just got a PB this week, and although it's taken me a while, I'm starting to see the benefits of it.

You're right, RIM are disastrous for managing the comms and schedules around software updates, and that can be frustrating. As someone who started on a Pearl in 2007 i can tell you it's something they've always been terrible at.
    09-22-12 12:05 PM
    It isn't really buggy (for me at least), and not sure what major features it is missing that was promised. Either way, what I mean is that if BB10 is coming around quicker than 2.1 (and lets hope), then they will probably just release the 2.1 that they currently have internally. They have some sort of 2.1 already made and they won't just skip over it and scrap it. If it is missing a few features, nobody will really care because if in that *particular scenario* then BB10 is around the corner. Either way, RIM will probably release 2.1. Maybe not on your official release date, but rather on their own official release date.

There is nothing wrong with this picture, it is not the most funded project or the most staffed project at RIM, nor should it be. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but there was no official date to release the official version. You can still get the Beta and it really is very stable (at least for me) if 2.1 is that important to you. For me 2.1 was important (I wanted Portrait modes for e-mail, calendar, and contacts as well as I wanted individual Android players). I downloaded the 2.1 Beta and well I forget that it is even a beta version.
    It does work OK but there is still issues, pausing browser, checkerboarding (not a huge deal to me), some fourms etc no matter how many times I poke a like or agree etc. nothing happens - on these same forums I didn't have that issue with .668, there is no imap folder support, the file management still leaves a lot to be desired - I know that won't come until BB10 and maybe perhaps none of the other will and I think RIM thinks no needs or wants bookmark management or being able to search a web page for a key word and on.

From what I read 2.1 should add SMS to bridge along with more things I can't remember now. So if you think 2.1 is worthy of an official release of 2.1 then you might as well stay on the last official as the beta adds nothing but portrait mode in native email. Oh I guess if you use many android apps I've heard there is improvement in that but it's a beta and there is a reason why so I say no it is not worthy of an official 2.1 release.
    09-22-12 01:00 PM
    So whats this update i just received all about Attachment 117464
    09-22-12 01:45 PM
    Some people said it installed an app called "bug reporter"... Other said they saw no difference.
    09-22-12 01:53 PM
    It does work OK but there is still issues, pausing browser, checkerboarding (not a huge deal to me), some fourms etc no matter how many times I poke a like or agree etc. nothing happens - on these same forums I didn't have that issue with .668, there is no imap folder support, the file management still leaves a lot to be desired - I know that won't come until BB10 and maybe perhaps none of the other will and I think RIM thinks no needs or wants bookmark management or being able to search a web page for a key word and on.

From what I read 2.1 should add SMS to bridge along with more things I can't remember now. So if you think 2.1 is worthy of an official release of 2.1 then you might as well stay on the last official as the beta adds nothing but portrait mode in native email. Oh I guess if you use many android apps I've heard there is improvement in that but it's a beta and there is a reason why so I say no it is not worthy of an official 2.1 release.
    I am not saying it would be ideal, but that 2.1 will be coming out. If BB10 is moving quicker than they thought or they decided to rush it all of a sudden, then 2.1 will come out with their internal beta. That scenario is unlikely, but even if that somehow happened, then a 2.1 version will be released (they have newer internal versions done already, they won't just scrap it). Chances are BB10 will be released around the same time as they think it will be (1Q 2013), so 2.1 official (not any sort of beta version) will be out. This post merely stating that 2.1 will probably be coming out between now and BB10, unlike what others say. There is no reason for it not to.

People appear to be upset that RIM missed a deadline that *RIM* did not set. Because RIM missed this imaginary deadline, RIM is going to skip 2.1, release BB10 for the PlayBook months/years after their phones, discontinue their tablets all together, etc.

There is little sense that 2.1 will not arrive at all. There is little sense that BB10 will be delayed for the PlayBook for quarters after the first BB10 phones. There is little sense that they would discontinue making tablets and thereby cutting their OS user pool by thousands. And all of these RIM apocalyptic theories because they missed an imaginary deadline.
    ralfyguy and rjedge54 like this.
    09-22-12 01:59 PM
    Some people said it installed an app called "bug reporter"... Other said they saw no difference.
    Just checked and still no bug reporter or bridge sms on this update version still sitting on 840 beta
    09-22-12 02:06 PM
    That is just a small update for the Beta. Bla1ze said that "2.1.0.1012 being tested for Gold Candidate.", so look for the 2.1.0.1 coming sometime (There is *no* release date set for it!). Source thread

Edit:
    I never received a bug reporter either and haven't seen/experience anything different. I am not sure what that update is for, to be honest.
    09-22-12 02:07 PM
    It isn't really buggy (for me at least), .....
    Well put it this way I have used two PBs for a year and all has been well behaved apart from the Hotmail mobile server name bug which was fixed in 668 and 2.1beta.

So I loaded 2.1.0.840 beta and yes the bug wad fixed, and the email has a portrait mode with keyboard too small for my fingers, and sideloads run in their own window (big deal, they are also slow to load) .
    Unfortunately browsing Amazon UK in 2.1 means browser closing every few minutes. Also I took a screen dump (vol+ vol-) and it hung. Also made all my photos disappear.

It's buggy. I got rid. Hope it's not the finished product!

Goodness knows how but I got a new invite to upgrade from 358 to 668 which I accepted with gratitude.
    09-22-12 02:11 PM
    Agree berrycleaver about no date. I was just responding to the current 2.1 beta should be released as an official.
    BerryClever likes this.
    09-22-12 02:12 PM
105 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD