it is true. with Java off playbook browser is flying.
    Ok it's javascript, not java.

But then "turn off this and that" is an answer for the nineties.
    12-11-12 07:38 AM
    Well I'm turning javascript off now. Will it have a noticeable effect in terms of stuff that doesn't get done?
    cjenniti likes this.
    12-11-12 08:20 AM
    Edit: LOL notice I was posting about the PlayBook 4G update and this post is for the regular PlayBook. My bad!
    Last edited by Thunderbirt; 12-11-12 at 08:33 AM.
    12-11-12 08:23 AM
    The reason for the checker boarding is that sites are badly built, the Playbook browser is perfectly fine, sites like Crackberry need to be built better.

They could start by combining the amount of css files in to 1 file, minifying the css, reducing the amount of http requests again, for JS, really no need for so many.
    There's no need for over 20 requests before content is even parsed by the browser!

Sites like this remind me of Blackberry's current OS, just messy, and when something new is added its a quick and dirty little "fix", the way the "blackberry count down timer" has been implemented in the source code is a prime example.
    There have been badly built websites ever since the WWW came to be, and that's not going to change. Since that's never, ever going to change, browsers will need to be able to handle poorly coded websites better. Now since some browsers are handling those websites without too much trouble, but the PB browser checkerboards, hangs, lags, and has keyboard lag as well, then no, it is NOT perfectly fine then is it.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-11-12 08:24 AM
    Hi,

I have a 9800 on OS 6 bridged into my PB. I've checked for an OS update on the PB and it tells me I'm on the latest version 2.1.0.1088.

Is this update OS 7 dependent?
    peen likes this.
    12-11-12 08:27 AM
    Hi,

I have a 9800 on OS 6 bridged into my PB. I've checked for an OS update on the PB and it tells me I'm on the latest version 2.1.0.1088.

Is this update OS 7 dependent?
    Ummm... This might the update for the PlayBook (hasn't been announced or anything as of yet officially) Not a BB update, but a PB update!
    12-11-12 08:41 AM
    I'm aware it's PB update as my post clearly states. The PB still tells me 2.1.0.1088 is the latest version.
    12-11-12 09:13 AM
    Well I'm turning javascript off now. Will it have a noticeable effect in terms of stuff that doesn't get done?
    speed improvement is substantial. I started using back simplebrowser+. great with four fully cusotmized tab. tab 1 has java on. tab 2 has java off. works great.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    12-11-12 09:14 AM
    I'm aware it's PB update as my post clearly states. The PB still tells me 2.1.0.1088 is the latest version.
    yes I know, but this update has NOT been announced!! It is a future update that could be coming out this week.
    12-11-12 09:15 AM
    I'd be happy with browser improvements personally. The checkerboarding is a little crazy on some sites...cough...crackberry...cough.
    I believe it is because sites load so much crap on the pages.
    12-11-12 09:21 AM
    Ok fair enough.....I though it was an active release.....
    12-11-12 09:26 AM
    speed improvement is substantial. I started using back simplebrowser+. great with four fully cusotmized tab. tab 1 has java on. tab 2 has java off. works great.
    I bought it too, but switching between tabs takes so long, so I find myself back using the standard browser again.
    12-11-12 09:32 AM
    The reason for the checker boarding is that sites are badly built, the Playbook browser is perfectly fine, sites like Crackberry need to be built better.

They could start by combining the amount of css files in to 1 file, minifying the css, reducing the amount of http requests again, for JS, really no need for so many.
    There's no need for over 20 requests before content is even parsed by the browser!

Sites like this remind me of Blackberry's current OS, just messy, and when something new is added its a quick and dirty little "fix", the way the "blackberry count down timer" has been implemented in the source code is a prime example.
    Have seen this stated before re badly built Web sites and I almost believed it. Used to also blame my ISP, my speed is 10 Mb. However, I recently purchased a Nokia Lumia 920 and with WiFi only I do not experience a problem loading these sites. I know I'm not comparing apples to apples but am working with the tools I have available to me ie the PB and the Lumia. The Lumia loads these badly built Web sites at a blazingly fast speed. Sometimes you guys speak with such authority. Am also tired of hearing how much better the PB browsers is than the competition. Honestly, using the PB browser is a very painful process.
    CairnsRock and partizan666 like this.
    12-11-12 09:36 AM
    There have been badly built websites ever since the WWW came to be, and that's not going to change. Since that's never, ever going to change, browsers will need to be able to handle poorly coded websites better. Now since some browsers are handling those websites without too much trouble, but the PB browser checkerboards, hangs, lags, and has keyboard lag as well, then no, it is NOT perfectly fine then is it.
    Good points. All I can do is HOPE that these issues with loading sites is better on the coming bb10. I seriously doubt that they will be fixed or even modified in any upgrade to the current OS (if one even comes) unless it is such a simple coding oversight that a line or two of code would fix it.
    12-11-12 09:38 AM
    It can affect some sites and/or actions. Sometimes dropdown menus won't respond appropriately making it hard to pick items. It depends on what the j-script was coded to do for the site. It can affect CB in some ways. You can easily turn it back on.
    12-11-12 09:40 AM

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    I do the same but TabONE is javascript OFF - so that's my main browsing tab. If I need it ON, I open TabTWO!
    12-11-12 09:42 AM
    Good points. All I can do is HOPE that these issues with loading sites is better on the coming bb10. I seriously doubt that they will be fixed or even modified in any upgrade to the current OS (if one even comes) unless it is such a simple coding oversight that a line or two of code would fix it.
    Agreed. If they carry the playbook qnx experience into bb10, the outcome will not be good.
    12-11-12 12:22 PM
    whas new with the release homies? I haven't turned on my playbook in months homies, no hbo go means no go on the playbook....can't wait for bb10 across the board...peace homies.
    12-11-12 12:26 PM
    It would be nice to have my appworld account unblocked. My contacts list working and my messages working properly.
    I've only been using the playbook for a couple days so I'm still just getting familiar with it but am curious what reasons BB would block users from appworld (not that I'm super nosey, just want to make sure it doesn't happen to me).
    currygoat likes this.
    12-11-12 12:27 PM
    This is not a inside BlackBerry tip. 2.1.0.1088 released day after registration info released and today registration info (PTCRB - dated DEC 3) for 2.1.0.1282 released. So this is just an inspiration...

"OS version 2.1.0.1282 Radio version: 2.1.0.1283"
    First, apologies for going on topic :P.

What does it mean "Radio version"? Does that mean either the wifi or the 4G version? Or does it mean that the FM radio feature will be activated?

And back to off topic. The PB is my first BlackBerry product and I always heard great things about the browser being the fastest. I have an Android phone and the PB is much faster on the same WiFi network (PB checkerboards with the loading bar going while the Android just has a white screen with a loading bar going, but PB loads much faster). Is the PB browser actually slower than the normal BB devices I heard about?
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-11-12 12:43 PM
    Not having any issues with updating on 3 PBs at home and several at work. Three updates last week alone. I hope it gets fixed for you.
    It's specifically the in-app purchasing side that doesn't seem to work for many... error 30242. Seems to be a problem with some games that let you buy updates/extra levels/etc from within the game. Radiant Defence is the one that particularly bugs my son. Bla1ze posted about a month ago that they were working on the fix in 1172.
    12-11-12 01:30 PM
    Hopefully this gives us native bbm, or bbm voice, or both.
    12-11-12 03:23 PM
    I've only been using the playbook for a couple days so I'm still just getting familiar with it but am curious what reasons BB would block users from appworld (not that I'm super nosey, just want to make sure it doesn't happen to me).
    BB did not block my account on purpose, its a system error that they so far have been unable to fix. Its ok to ask on crackberry, thats what its all about.
    bruce807 likes this.
    12-11-12 04:25 PM
    The current PB browser is using AIR as the user interface and that is the main cause of these problems. I will bet my last penny that this will not happen at all on BB10. Air is a resource hog IMHO.
    12-11-12 05:49 PM
    I wonder if some of the charging problems people have been having were due to changes in .1088. Hopefully an update will help with that as well.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    12-11-12 05:56 PM
105 1234 ...