well i copied my files but i havent done a backup. would it brick my pb if i dont wipe it?

is there any documentation to find some info on this?
    Every other update has been applied without wiping my device or bricking it so I don't see why this would be any different. I also believe those who participated in the Beta did not have to wipe their device.

It just wouldn't make sense if you did... It would be annoying, frustrating and simply a bad move for RIM to put out an update that either bricked your device or forced you to wipe all data...

You should be fine
    02-20-12 09:53 PM
    Skype convo was mentioned... Not sure if this will work to join the group but here goes... http://www.reuters.com

If anyone wants to setup an IRC feel free
    Waiting on that irc ! hopefully some one will make one..thinking about it myself but id have to post it on a site so everyone can access. is that allowed?
    02-20-12 09:54 PM
    Man my phone froze and I had to battery pull LOL
    02-20-12 09:54 PM
    Every other update has been applied without wiping my device or bricking it so I don't see why this would be any different. I also believe those who participated in the Beta did not have to wipe their device.

It just wouldn't make sense if you did... It would be annoying, frustrating and simply a bad move for RIM to put out an update that either bricked your device or forced you to wipe all data...

You should be fine
    thats what i would think. but maybe they want to delete all sideloaded apps. ill be the 'trial' part but hopefully there will be no 'error' to go with it
    02-20-12 09:57 PM
    that must be rawr, well i changed my mind and i will stay up for slumb partehh!
    haz food and drinks, pb paired with my lcd screen watching movies.
    with the phone in my hand as the remote control lounge-ing on the bed woaah.
    GoRIMGo likes this.
    02-20-12 10:00 PM
    I want to stay up but its time for bed. As I type this laying in bed and my PB is connected to my TV reading this thread. Love this new bridge and the features but I can wait on the PB's new OS. Night to you all and I hope it comes out but I'm not holding my breath.
    02-20-12 10:02 PM
    hahah kenny where is your post?
    02-20-12 10:02 PM
    OS 2.0 has arrived

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyhlWBZkcqE[/YT]
    peter9477, FSeverino, rmah and 8 others like this.
    02-20-12 10:05 PM
    just thought of this...

will it show an 'update' if we have the beta?
    bc we already have a 2.0 version...
    02-20-12 10:08 PM
    OS 2.0 has arrived

there you fixed it, lmao kenny isn' t that youu??
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-20-12 10:09 PM
    just thought of this...

will it show an 'update' if we have the beta?
    bc we already have a 2.0 version...
    I wasn't sure either, so I just wiped and downgraded both my PBs. I'm not taking any chances.
    02-20-12 10:11 PM
    I wasn't sure either, so I just wiped and downgraded both my PBs. I'm not taking any chances.
    i just dont want to go through the hassle of reloading the android apps (i only have free ones but i have like 15 ) lol
    plus i just got asphalt and mc which are 1gb worth of dls
    02-20-12 10:13 PM
    LOL..maybe it was Justin Beiber holding a Playbook.
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-20-12 10:13 PM
    i just dont want to go through the hassle of reloading the android apps (i only have free ones but i have like 15 ) lol
    I hear ya. I had plenty of Android apps installed. The way I see it, I am not sure what will and wont work, but I know I want this update. I'll worry about apps after the install.
    02-20-12 10:15 PM
    do i need to wipe before upgrade?
    You don't need to.

Many of us who are long-time developers have a sense that it's just generally a good idea to do that, however, from long experience with such things. I debricked mine a day ago (and actually put the beta back on it again, then debricked it again, but that was just to test some code).

You can probably safely ignore us though, as even RIM people have publicly stated that it's not necessary. (Note: there were people stating the same sort of thing in past situations where I've seen bad things happen involving betas, so that doesn't do much for me. ;-) )

You will not lose your paid apps if you wipe it, but if you had a favourite free app which has now become paid, or (apparently) if a paid app has increased in price in an update, then you'll have to pay something (the difference in price) to get it. This is very rare.

If you wipe you will lose all your app data, media files, and so forth. If you do a backup first, then you could restore those after the update.

So to summarize: nobody must wipe or debrick, and it's likely nothing will go wrong if they don't do that.

Caveat: if my PlayBook were rooted, I would definitely debrick it first if I planned to use it "for real" afterwards. If I planned only to keep toying with it, then don't bother...
    FSeverino likes this.
    02-20-12 10:16 PM
    There was a rumor a while back that we would be able to bridge or tether with android phones after the OS 2 update. Was this ever confirmed?
    02-20-12 10:16 PM
    there you fixed it, lmao kenny isn' t that youu??
    I can't stop watching that guy. I bet some of us will be just like him in a few hours
    02-20-12 10:17 PM
    So a successful update will go along way towards fixing RIM's credibility. Won't do the whole job, not by a sight. But it'd be a good first step in a positive direction.

I say good luck RIM.
    02-20-12 10:17 PM
    was planning on staying up all night, but someone is sick at work and have to cover her shift in the am. suppose i'll wake up, let it install and (hopefully) it'll be ready to play with when i come home from work
    02-20-12 10:18 PM
    So a successful update will go along way towards fixing RIM's credibility. Won't do the whole job, not by a sight. But it'd be a good first step in a positive direction.

I say good luck RIM.

Dude, why poo poo the party?
    Last edited by Crackfairy Curvy; 02-20-12 at 10:22 PM. Reason: error
    BryGuy86 likes this.
    02-20-12 10:19 PM
    I just updated my profile pic to show how crazy Im going, waiting for the update, while Buzzing on coffee
    Last edited by DAnklaud; 02-20-12 at 10:23 PM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-20-12 10:19 PM
    02-20-12 10:23 PM
    02-20-12 10:25 PM
    I've setup a group PIN is 2825B7EF let me know you want to be put in the group
    Yes, please. Yippee!
    02-20-12 10:35 PM
    lmao all those gifs and movies peepz are posting, shows how excited the people are really are.
    i'm having a good time reading all the comments lmao.
    02-20-12 10:39 PM
1,272 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD