Hi,

I am using a Playbook since a few days, evaluating it for our business needs.

Among our commonly used applications, people use OneNote to take notes during meeting. According to several blogs, the best way to use Onenote from the BBP is to go through Skydrive.

Been there, done that.
    It works marvelously well for Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents. But whenever I try to open a OneNote book, the BBP proposes me to save a zip file instead.

Any idea how to solve this ? It is normal behaviour ?

OS 1.0.7.2670

Kind regards,
    07-29-11 03:21 AM
    Hmm did you try opening the zip file on your desktop to see what's in it? Just a thought might lead you further down the trail. . Or save it to PB then transfer to desktop to open? Not sure if/how PB handles zips...
    07-29-11 04:01 AM
    I did.
    The zip contains all files present in a Onenote Notebooks: so multiple ".one" and one ".onetoc2" files.

Proceeding one step further, if I copy a single ".one" file to Skydrive, it is correctly recognized as a OneNote file but when opening it from the BBP browser, it gets downloaded as a ".one" file.
    07-29-11 04:33 AM
    I did.
    The zip contains all files present in a Onenote Notebooks: so multiple ".one" and one ".onetoc2" files.

Proceeding one step further, if I copy a single ".one" file to Skydrive, it is correctly recognized as a OneNote file but when opening it from the BBP browser, it gets downloaded as a ".one" file.
    The new office format files are actually zip files(docx,xlsx etc). I did a class a coupe years ago it might have something to do with how the server and browser are setup to handle various mime types. I think because of how it is setup the playbook browser tries to determine the file type instead of just downloading it. When it determines the file type it sees that it is an actual zip file and thats why it is renaming it as such. As far as I know the playbook has no application to read onenote files, so that is probably the reason it is trying to detect the stream type. I tried skydrive with a pptx and it worked, so i'm sure the reason it didn't work is because no application has been registered for that file type.
    07-29-11 08:04 AM
    @agentfat2004

Skydrive is supposed to open a built-in Onenote inside the browser. At least it does it from a PC browser.
    07-29-11 08:28 AM
    Hi,

Among our commonly used applications, people use OneNote to take notes during meeting. According to several blogs, the best way to use Onenote from the BBP is to go through Skydrive.

Been there, done that.
    It works marvelously well for Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents. But whenever I try to open a OneNote book, the BBP proposes me to save a zip file instead.

OS 1.0.7.2670

Kind regards,
    I ran into this behavior. You are being directed to the mobile Office site, which displays this behavior. There should be a link on the skydrive page that will let you force the full desktop browser version of the site and then it should work fine.
    Veynom, BSFA2008 and apasehculun like this.
    07-29-11 01:19 PM
    Hi,

Been there, done that.

OS 1.0.7.2670

Kind regards,
    I've just tried using Onenote with Skydrive and it definitely works on my PB.
    07-29-11 01:47 PM
    @screamlordbyron

I ran into this behavior. You are being directed to the mobile Office site, which displays this behavior. There should be a link on the skydrive page that will let you force the full desktop browser version of the site and then it should work fine.
    THANK YOU!!!

That was indeed the trick.
    Issue solved.
    07-30-11 01:49 AM
    THANK YOU! the link is at the very bottom of the page, "PC site"
    12-28-11 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD