08-10-12 07:45 AM
50 12
tools
    I have Playbook for about a year now. I do not regret the purchase. I think RIM really screwed up the launch and rushed the tablet to the market with perfect hardware and unfinished software. Having said that I think RIM has done tremendous progress with the tablet since original OS1.0. I seriously think that there is no better tablet on the market. I will admit that i never tested ipad for longer period of time so my knowledge of this tablet is limited. However i had Android tablet for a while and at the end i did not like it at all. Android OS really feels awkward and too complicated. Playbook OS is clean, powerful and simple. The longer i have the tablet the better it gets. Just like wine i guess. Latest OS updated improved browser and pages load fast. 2.1 works great with android apps. Many android apps work so well that there is really no need for native QNX version (Winamp, tapatalk etc. etc. etc.). I love tweaking and freedom of converting and sideloading apps. this is just awesome. But here is the problem. I am minority. Majority of users will find sideloading too complicated. They will need it easy aka app store. app store is good. has many great stuff but certain things are missing. netflix, skype etc. i do not care at all about any of the two apps. i do not use netflix because i am in canada and netflix frankly sucks over here. selection is just extremely bad. waste of $10 a month. But for my personal use / work use playbook meets all of my expectations.

anyways. Hopefully rim will relaunch playbook with os10 with perhaps some cost cutting with hardware, not as nice finishes but low price. hopefully by then we will get some badly requested apps on playbook.
    DC506, CCJSW10, bb624 and 10 others like this.
    08-04-12 10:23 AM
    Great post...well thought out. I agree 100%.
    08-04-12 10:29 AM
    I have Playbook for about a year now. I do not regret the purchase. I think RIM really screwed up the launch and rushed the tablet to the market with perfect hardware and unfinished software. Having said that I think RIM has done tremendous progress with the tablet since original OS1.0. I seriously think that there is no better tablet on the market. I will admit that i never tested ipad for longer period of time so my knowledge of this tablet is limited. However i had Android tablet for a while and at the end i did not like it at all. Android OS really feels awkward and too complicated. Playbook OS is clean, powerful and simple. The longer i have the tablet the better it gets. Just like wine i guess. Latest OS updated improved browser and pages load fast. 2.1 works great with android apps. Many android apps work so well that there is really no need for native QNX version (Winamp, tapatalk etc. etc. etc.). I love tweaking and freedom of converting and sideloading apps. this is just awesome. But here is the problem. I am minority. Majority of users will find sideloading too complicated. They will need it easy aka app store. app store is good. has many great stuff but certain things are missing. netflix, skype etc. i do not care at all about any of the two apps. i do not use netflix because i am in canada and netflix frankly sucks over here. selection is just extremely bad. waste of $10 a month. But for my personal use / work use playbook meets all of my expectations.

anyways. Hopefully rim will relaunch playbook with os10 with perhaps some cost cutting with hardware, not as nice finishes but low price. hopefully by then we will get some badly requested apps on playbook.
    My issue with sideloading that I think a lot of others would share is not the initial sideloading, which has gotten easier, but having to re-sideload apps every time there is an update for them. Even if the average consumer is 'ok' with sideloading, they likely aren't going to want to deal with that.

As for Netflix in Canada, I use Unblockus to use the US Netflix, and it's well worth it. I would like it on my Playbook. But, the main reason I want it on the Playbook is because I want the popular apps that are available on all other platforms available on Playbook. It's only a good thing for the Playbook if they are. I don't use Skype, but I want it available for the same reason. It's a great piece of hardware, and I wish it had some of the great apps I use on iOS.

The app I really miss on Playbook is Tunein Radio. And I miss a good stock Podcast app. I have had mine for about 4 months now, and neither of those situations are resolved. The browser version of Tunein does not have the functionality of Tunein Pro, and there aren't any other alternatives. There are very few Podcast apps, and none of them are very good. They are only slightly better than the stock app, which is pretty bad.
    rich_a, robkd and Akuji_ism like this.
    08-04-12 10:44 AM
    My issue with sideloading that I think a lot of others would share is not the initial sideloading, which has gotten easier, but having to re-sideload apps every time there is an update for them. Even if the average consumer is 'ok' with sideloading, they likely aren't going to want to deal with that.
    true, this is a problem. but even some android apps available in the app store do not get updated. best example is Dolphin browser. I am running latest 8.2 version and app store version is still sitting at version 7.X.

i do not get developers. rim made so extra easy for them to port their apps to playbook that there is no real excuse not to do it. why there is no winamp available in the app store yet is just beyond me. i've had winamp running from the first beta version of android player. it works flawlessly. why can't they just bring it officially to playbook ?
    this is the same case with many apps. if it was legal i would just convert them myself and submit them to the app store.
    08-04-12 10:56 AM
    true, this is a problem. but even some android apps available in the app store do not get updated. best example is Dolphin browser. I am running latest 8.2 version and app store version is still sitting at version 7.X.

i do not get developers. rim made so extra easy for them to port their apps to playbook that there is no real excuse not to do it. why there is no winamp available in the app store yet is just beyond me. i've had winamp running from the first beta version of android player. it works flawlessly. why can't they just bring it officially to playbook ?
    this is the same case with many apps. if it was legal i would just convert them myself and submit them to the app store.
    Ya very good point. It's definitely a downer.
    08-04-12 11:01 AM
    This hits the nail on the head for me. I love the sites which have popped up offering converted bar files, but most of them are already out of date. Not to mention there are security concerns with sideloading - someone could infiltrate the community and post fake apps under the guise of converted apps which people will upload.
    mas999 likes this.
    08-04-12 11:08 AM
    I too bought the playbook a year ago base on outstanding hardware and knowing I would have only a bare-bones experience of extension of my bb phone until such time that RIM would port an updated OS which would then allow the playbook to fulfill it's potential. Time has passed and my playbook, like a long-distance runner being lapped on the track, has been left in the dustbin of history. It absolutely galls me that RIM hasn't supported the playbook with native BB applications like BB TRAVEL, (in order to get Kayak?), or spam filters, vlingo capability, or a myriad of apps commonly found on our BB phones. Instead we are left with the promise of BB10 which is has more value as an asset to be sold to a potential RIM partner then can ever be worth bringing to market to a rapidly shrinking user base. So i get it, the playbook is what it is and sometime in the future I'll have to jump this sinking ship. In the meantime i feel abandoned by RIM, a victim of their own stupidity.
    08-04-12 11:48 AM
    This hits the nail on the head for me. I love the sites which have popped up offering converted bar files, but most of them are already out of date. Not to mention there are security concerns with sideloading - someone could infiltrate the community and post fake apps under the guise of converted apps which people will upload.
    This is why I download my apk files directly from Google Play. Ensures I get the latest version. Either way I really don't see how the privacy is a concern especially when RIM designed the Android Runtime to run in a secured environment. As well as the Android runtime is limited from accessing all the resources on the device itself.
    08-04-12 11:58 AM
    I too bought the playbook a year ago base on outstanding hardware and knowing I would have only a bare-bones experience of extension of my bb phone until such time that RIM would port an updated OS which would then allow the playbook to fulfill it's potential. Time has passed and my playbook, like a long-distance runner being lapped on the track, has been left in the dustbin of history. It absolutely galls me that RIM hasn't supported the playbook with native BB applications like BB TRAVEL, (in order to get Kayak?), or spam filters, vlingo capability, or a myriad of apps commonly found on our BB phones. Instead we are left with the promise of BB10 which is has more value as an asset to be sold to a potential RIM partner then can ever be worth bringing to market to a rapidly shrinking user base. So i get it, the playbook is what it is and sometime in the future I'll have to jump this sinking ship. In the meantime i feel abandoned by RIM, a victim of their own stupidity.
    you cannot get bb7 os apps on playbook because they are based on totally different os.

creating android player was better alternative. i do agree with you that updates should come sooner and there are still many things that need addressing (for example the native browser is ultra fast now but it still does not have search option ! ).

i think rim has lost many talented people and those who are still at rim are focused on bb10 phones not playbook. having said that there are so many apps on android that work well on playbook. this is just matter of converting them and porting to the tablet.

rim is heading Apple path aka creating one unified os with limited # of handsets / tablets to make it easy for developers.

google has big problem because there are too many different handsets on the market and this makes it harder for developers to test their apps.

i do not feel abandoned by rim. i think given all the problems they are in, bad press etc. i think rim is doing great job and is working hard to win back customers.

i am happy with rim enough to give them benefit of the doubt and order bb10 once it is available for pre-orders.

Seriously playbook is the best tablet on the market and size is just perfect. perfect enough for apple to go back on Steve Job's opinion that 7" tablets are useless.
    08-04-12 02:26 PM
    I own both a Playbook and an iPad. The 2 functions I prefer on the iPad are Zinio (reading magazines) and surfing because of the size. I also use the iPad for Skype.

Aside from that, Playbook continues to be my go-to tablet for video (plug and play into my TV), reading, gaming, email and on-the-go/ travel.

I really hope the BB10 upgrade in the new year with BBM and further refinements makes it all it can be!
    08-04-12 04:41 PM
    I agree about sideloading it is for the true tech person not average users. Just out of curiosity did you pay the full cost of PlayBook 64? If you did you are a very level headed person
    08-04-12 06:26 PM
    even a bit rush,but if they launched at the price say 249 for 16G, it would be good too. just at 499 for an unfinished product, that is mess
    08-04-12 10:13 PM
    Aside from that, Playbook continues to be my go-to tablet for video (plug and play into my TV), reading, gaming, email and on-the-go/ travel.

I really hope the BB10 upgrade in the new year with BBM and further refinements makes it all it can be!
    so true. The reason I bought two playbooks is simply because I need flash for online video and order Pizza!
    08-04-12 10:15 PM
    I agree about sideloading it is for the true tech person not average users. Just out of curiosity did you pay the full cost of PlayBook 64? If you did you are a very level headed person
    no I bought it at reduced price. pb is more of enthusiast tablet now. to make it "peoples" tablet rim needs to bring more apps to the store. sideloading is fun but for few.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by bitek; 08-05-12 at 10:24 AM.
    08-05-12 10:19 AM
    Nothing is perfect RIM has made some truly horrendous decisions in recent years, that does not take away from the fact the Playbook is an awesome device. Most of the things posters find galling about the Playbook matter not at all to me. I don't use android apps and would like to see a way that the player can be disabled, Idon't see the point of many apps and prefer visiting the websites directly much as one does on a desktop computer. If I hear Skype one more time I swear I may snap!

I bought this device 7 months ago to use as it was intended, as an extension of my Blackberry. It goes everywhere with me and does almost everything I need. The one piece of the puzzle that is missing is the ability to text which apparently will be addressed in 2.1.

Honestly email, internet, messaging 24/7 everywhere in one convenient package, what is not to love?
    todbanner, bitek and bungaboy like this.
    08-05-12 03:28 PM
    As you can see in my profile, I have an I pad 3, a Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF 700 (which I do believe is the best full-sized Android tablet yet to date), and a Playbook. Without doubt, the Playbook is my most used tablet.
    bitek likes this.
    08-05-12 04:39 PM
    I own both a Playbook and an iPad. The 2 functions I prefer on the iPad are Zinio (reading magazines) and surfing because of the size. I also use the iPad for Skype.

i use playbook all the time and in fact i find more uses for it then before. 7" size is just perfect for me. i have seen 10.1" samsungs and they are wayyyyyyyy to big for my taste not to mention that they are so ugly.
    08-05-12 11:41 PM
    In the meantime i feel abandoned by RIM, a victim of their own stupidity.
    I too feel abandoned.

If they can't be bothered to port over their own apps why would they expect other developers to bother.

Also, basic stuff that is easy to do still remains to be done many months after it could and should have been. Such as:

- Fair pricing for UK users (who are getting well and truly ripped off with things like a $9.99 app costing 10 - rip off!!!)

- App store listing only the latest 25 new releases at any one time, most of which tend to be crappy ebooks and the like

- No interesting feature updates. The PB is pretty much the same as it was for the 1.0. Yes 2.0 did add some cool new stuff, but since then it has been sooooo quiet.

- Still missing the major apps that lots of people want. Personally, I'm not fussed about Netflix and Skype, but I can understand why others might be.

- Totally ignoring feedback that is sent to them. I've contact them numerous times and get either a standard response or a deafening silence.

The list could go on and on.

The problem is for us Blackberry diehards is that we desperately want them to succeed. But they're taking so long to get their act together that by the time they do it could well be way, way, way too late. Even if BB10 is the best thing ever they will struggle to win back the millions of people who have moved to iOS and Android.

I'm regularly asked why I still use Blackberry, and all my employees have Blackberry, and my sons have Blackberry, but I'm finding it harder and harder to come up with a convincing argument other than 'just wait until you see BB10'.
    rich_a likes this.
    08-06-12 08:26 AM
    I bought my playbook back in March and I have been very disappointed with the apps available on the app store. Sideloading android apps are just not the same. Time to sell my playbook.
    08-06-12 09:19 AM
    I have my PlayBook for more than a year now... and have more than 50 paid applications & games - no side loading... just to support RIM & APPS World's Developers... I believe, I'm doing my part as BlackBerry "customer"... and if RIM is not properly doing their part as "supplier", it is up to them...
    sdk1 likes this.
    08-06-12 10:30 AM
    I bought my 64gb playbook on day 1. Knew then it was not ready but paid the 699 anyway. Have been with BB devices for many years. RIM put out numerous updates and it did more that I wanted. Fast forward to today. Still use it daily but find it increasingly limited. Frustrated with rim but that's nothing new for me. Often feel that the end users become beta testers. But same thing happens with other vendors. That said I have only experienced a few minor glitches with the last update. PlayBook is still the best for me. Love the form factor. But I wish...Nah, my wish list is too long.
    FF22 and bitek like this.
    08-06-12 11:44 AM
    I bought my playbook back in March and I have been very disappointed with the apps available on the app store. Sideloading android apps are just not the same. Time to sell my playbook.
    Have you actually tried using the browser? The browser (w/ flash ) and file system for me on the PB are worth 10 of the best apps on the other tablets. The only thing I am really jonesing for ATM is a DLNA client.

Apple has really trained people into thinking apps. It's really unfortunate as the web by itself is still very functional but people tend to forget about that.
    EnolaB29 likes this.
    08-06-12 12:12 PM
    If I hear Skype one more time I swear I may snap!

Honestly email, internet, messaging 24/7 everywhere in one convenient package, what is not to love?
    Agreed and agreed.
    bitek likes this.
    08-06-12 12:43 PM
    Have you actually tried using the browser? The browser (w/ flash ) and file system for me on the PB are worth 10 of the best apps on the other tablets. The only thing I am really jonesing for ATM is a DLNA client.

Apple has really trained people into thinking apps. It's really unfortunate as the web by itself is still very functional but people tend to forget about that.
    I sooooo agree! Evertime there is a new app I try it and in the end I always go back to use their webpage (facebook, tripadvisor, news sites, etc)
    08-07-12 02:45 AM
    Browser is powerful and you do not need all apps the ios has. Keep in mind that ios does not support flash and hence many sites do not work on it. This is not the case with playbook.
    08-07-12 09:49 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD