Thankfully, I was able to purchase a 16GB PB at the low price of $199. We also have an iPad in the house as well. I appreciate the PB's smaller screen and the browser. I often get frustrated when mobile pages load automatically. The browser for the PB is a dream. I find that the iPad is a little too big for me to tote around outside the house. The smaller size of the PB is perfect to throw in my purse/bag when traveling. Have you ever tried laying in bed, holding an iPad and browsing? What an arm workout! The PB's smaller size is perfect for this. I'm guilty of surfing the net right before bedtime and can hold the PB over me one handed without a problem. For that awesome price, I have no complaints about my PB, even if it doesn't have Hulu. It's not the end of the world.
    FF22, FreeJACLive and bitek like this.
    08-07-12 11:06 AM
    Still no decent native email. Still no IMAP implementation. PB is still a joke.
    08-07-12 02:37 PM
    I sooooo agree! Evertime there is a new app I try it and in the end I always go back to use their webpage (facebook, tripadvisor, news sites, etc)
    There are still mobile sites that are nowhere near as good as the apps though. Tunein Radio Pro is a very popular app, and a perfect example. The App has a huge list of features that aren't available through the mobile version of the site. There is a great thread somewhere on the forum about it. It lists a few other examples as well. In other cases, yes, the mobile sites are just as good as the apps for sure. But there is a still a void there.
    08-07-12 03:50 PM
    Browser is powerful and you do not need all apps the ios has. Keep in mind that ios does not support flash and hence many sites do not work on it. This is not the case with playbook.
    I'm sorry but this isn't true. The browser is good, but a well coded application can usually do more than the browser can. Flash support is also decreasing in importance, most sites are switching to HTML5 for video which is better for both ios users and everyone else with a modern browser (including us pb owners). The only time I see flash when I'm browsing these days is for banner ads!
    08-07-12 05:07 PM
    Also, basic stuff that is easy to do still remains to be done many months after it could and should have been. Such as:

- Fair pricing for UK users (who are getting well and truly ripped off with things like a $9.99 app costing �10 - rip off!!!)

- App store listing only the latest 25 new releases at any one time, most of which tend to be crappy ebooks and the like
    Amen, brother! There was talk in here that RIM were going to fix the awful UK pricing in December & January and so far they've done nothing. I originally started using proxies to buy apps at a fair price, but then I got bored having to continually edit my wifi settings (along with the fact it corrupted my AP settings meaning I'd need to clear them out every time) and I haven't bought any apps apart from maybe two �1 ones in the last three/four months. If the apps were priced fair I can think of at least two more games I would have picked up.

Google play and the apple app store manage to charge fair prices to its UK customers, why is it so hard for RIM?
    08-07-12 05:18 PM
    I bought my playbook 64gb at the fire sale price of $299. I couldn't be happier with it. The app selection isn't great , but I loaded it up with games (ironically have become pb strongest point) the android vm has eased the pain of the lack of apps somewhat. I have to pry my pb out of my 7 year olds hands at times. The os is silky smooth. Overall the thing is pretty stout as we say down here "built like a brick $#*t house"
    bitek likes this.
    08-07-12 06:48 PM
    There are still mobile sites that are nowhere near as good as the apps though. Tunein Radio Pro is a very popular app, and a perfect example. The App has a huge list of features that aren't available through the mobile version of the site. There is a great thread somewhere on the forum about it. It lists a few other examples as well. In other cases, yes, the mobile sites are just as good as the apps for sure. But there is a still a void there.
    Why would you want to use mobile versions of websites?
    08-07-12 07:11 PM
    I'm sorry but this isn't true. The browser is good, but a well coded application can usually do more than the browser can. Flash support is also decreasing in importance, most sites are switching to HTML5 for video which is better for both ios users and everyone else with a modern browser (including us pb owners). The only time I see flash when I'm browsing these days is for banner ads!
    Generally I don't agree with that statement, i do not believe that most apps offer serious improvement in functionality over the full website. There will always be exceptions to every rule of course.
    08-07-12 07:19 PM
    For every app that is better than the full internet site (I have no idea why anyone would choose the mobile site) There are 50 crappy apps
    08-07-12 07:28 PM
    For every app that is better than the full internet site (I have no idea why anyone would choose the mobile site) There are 50 crappy apps
    Typo on my part re tuneins, 'mobile' Site. If you want to focus on that instead of the point, fine. The normal tunein site is not as featured as the app. And the state of the 50 other apps is not the issue. The missing apps for playbook that there are either no alternative for, or the Web browser versions not being as featured as the apps, are the issue. I gave one example from my daily use. There is another thread that has other examples with very good comparisons. Even my bank's app (which isn't available for PB either) uses a much better design than it's web site does. Especially on a 7" screen.

It's such a tired argument on this forum to keep telling people Web versions are always better when they simply aren't in every case. Yes people whine too much about apps. But people make up some bad excuses for the lack of them as well. A decent alternative to popular apps doesn't always exist on the Playbook, and it's crappy. You can tell people to just not buy a Playbook, but it doesn't make it any less sad that some of these apps aren't available after a year of ownership has passed for some people.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 08-08-12 at 04:07 AM.
    rich_a likes this.
    08-07-12 09:15 PM
    My thoughts (more than) a year into ownership: I'm sorry I wasted the money

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-07-12 10:08 PM
    I finally took the plunge on Friday. 64GB Playbook for $279. I immediately updated it to 2.1. I searched App World and couldn't find any of the apps I wanted, so I looked for BAR files online and sideloaded a few. That was an easy process, but as many mentioned, without auto update, and the need to reload after an OS update, it would get tiring quickly. There are also plenty of apps that I need that I couldn't find and that websites won't replace...like Viber, Skype, WeChat, my bank's app, etc. I had planned to keep it at least until the 13th day of the 14 day return period to see if I liked it. It went back on Monday. It just doesn't do enough of the things I need a tablet to do to justify keeping it. Maybe after OS10 comes out, I can revisit it. On the plus side, I really liked Bridge and the fact that I didn't have to configure yet another PIM package to manage mail, contacts, calendar, etc. The size is certainly portable enough, though I fear that if I were using it to watch a movie, say on a long flight, I would find myself still digging out my laptop for the larger screen. All in all, despite sitting on the fence for a year, buying and then returning the PB, I still have high hopes for it. I just hope I feel the same after the Windows RT tablets come out...
    08-07-12 10:36 PM
    It's such a tired argument on this forum to keep telling people Web versions are always better when they simply aren't in every case. Yes people whine too much about apps. But people make up some bad excuses for the lack of them as well. A decent alternative to popular apps doesn't always exist on the Playbook, and it's crappy.
    Agreed. Even if the mobile app isn't as good as the full website, it's nice to have the choice, isn't it? For those out on the move, being able to use an app has some advantages as well - the Amazon app has very few features compared to the website, but it enables you to purchase items a lot quicker over a mobile internet connection than firing up the browser and waiting for each page to load.
    08-08-12 06:26 AM
    Still no decent native email. Still no IMAP implementation. PB is still a joke.
    I think beta has that implemented. i do not use native email. bridge is dream come true for me.
    08-09-12 01:34 PM
    I finally took the plunge on Friday. 64GB Playbook for $279. I immediately updated it to 2.1. I searched App World and couldn't find any of the apps I wanted, so I looked for BAR files online and sideloaded a few. That was an easy process, but as many mentioned, without auto update, and the need to reload after an OS update, it would get tiring quickly. There are also plenty of apps that I need that I couldn't find and that websites won't replace...like Viber, Skype, WeChat, my bank's app, etc. I had planned to keep it at least until the 13th day of the 14 day return period to see if I liked it. It went back on Monday. It just doesn't do enough of the things I need a tablet to do to justify keeping it. Maybe after OS10 comes out, I can revisit it. On the plus side, I really liked Bridge and the fact that I didn't have to configure yet another PIM package to manage mail, contacts, calendar, etc. The size is certainly portable enough, though I fear that if I were using it to watch a movie, say on a long flight, I would find myself still digging out my laptop for the larger screen. All in all, despite sitting on the fence for a year, buying and then returning the PB, I still have high hopes for it. I just hope I feel the same after the Windows RT tablets come out...
    why do you need your bank app in the first place ? playbook browser is so good (and with that latest os2.1 small upate so fast) that it eliminates any need for thousands of apps. i hope people do realize that the only reason why ipad needs apps is because its browser does not have flash built in and tons of websites just do not work well with ipad and therefore they need apps.

also even though skype is available on ipad and android my understanding is that this is half baked app that lucks in many features compared with skype for pc.

paying $260 for nexus tablet with 16gb is just crazy. 16gb is nothing. it will be gone in no time. nexus is useless without internet connection and cloud service. 64Gb Playbook is just monster. there is so much i can keep on it.

for my purposes (real estate / mortgage agent) playbook is irreplaceable now. i have certain apps on playbook that i cannot live with out. mls, contact information, mortgage calculators, presentation, files etc. etc. etc. etc. for my needs playbook is perfect.

playbook is just awesome, awesome tablet for sales people. highly portable and powerful and blackberry bridge is just awesome, awesome idea.

at one point i almost got samsung galaxy tablet and i was considering selling playbook but at the end i returned samsung back to the store and i never regraded that decision.

playbook has just awesome collection of paid and free apps for kids / toddlers. android selection did not come close to playbook in terms of quality.

I've been trying to find 1 i repeat 1 decent alarm clock on android and i could not find anything that would remotely be as good as antair alarm clock for playbook.

perhaps android has many more apps than playbook on paper but frankly most of them are garbage imo.

having said that i do hope that playbook will get skype at some point not because i need it because i really do not use it that much but because so many request it.
    08-09-12 01:48 PM
    I dont know why people are so fixated on apps. True that appworld doesnt have lot of apps like google play or app store but most of the apps in the app world are very decent. Some might exceeds the quality of similar android and ios apps. No netflix ? Put ur damn favorite movies on ur pb through ur pc or laptop? (technology makes us more n more lazy?)No skype? Buy android tablet or ipad, why beat ur self up over something that might eventually come? The playbook is a damn little monster. I dont see any "flaws" of it except you guy's "app problem". Most people have android n ipad these day. I find myself uniquely rocking my pb around. Some people dont even know it's a playbook, my gf's asked her "May i borrow ur Blue berry?" i found it very fascinating that lot of us are wrapped up in the hype of android and ipad without the knowledge that there is a badass tablet out there that on par with the "premium android n ipad".

@OP

Side loading is very easy though we do have to load up again after updates so i keep those apps in a folder on my pc. I always load it up after update along with updating my music. It's cool to hear someone love their playbook not complaining
    bitek likes this.
    08-09-12 03:07 PM
    I generally am not fixated on apps. But, lets be real here. In certain instances, there are apps on other platforms that outperform the related websites, if they even exist. If it doesn't matter to you, then it's a non-issue. For me, however, it is an issue, and the reason I chose to return the Playbook. I need my bank app beacuse there are plenty of times that I can't get to the bank and want to do a remote check deposit. Website can't do that. I need Viber, Skype and WeChat apps because they allow me to be in contact with my offices and associates in other countries. No websites for those either. I need my stock trading app because, again, the website doesn't have the same functionality. What I don't need is a $300 web browser that doesn't do everything I need it to do. I just wish it did......
    08-09-12 03:36 PM
    So is BBM only going to be allowed on the LTE version of the Playbook since you seem to need a data package to use it on the phone.
    08-09-12 04:01 PM
    Just out of curiosity did you pay the full cost of PlayBook 64? If you did you are a very level headed person
    I'll just say I did with no regrets, but more importantly since I bought it online I also claimed the full amount on my tax returns to make sure the different levels of government got their money too

Most people just keep their mouths shut haha
    08-09-12 04:22 PM
    I dont know why people are so fixated on apps. True that appworld doesnt have lot of apps like google play or app store but most of the apps in the app world are very decent. Some might exceeds the quality of similar android and ios apps. No netflix ? Put ur damn favorite movies on ur pb through ur pc or laptop? (technology makes us more n more lazy?)No skype? Buy android tablet or ipad, why beat ur self up over something that might eventually come? The playbook is a damn little monster. I dont see any "flaws" of it except you guy's "app problem". Most people have android n ipad these day. I find myself uniquely rocking my pb around. Some people dont even know it's a playbook, my gf's asked her "May i borrow ur Blue berry?" i found it very fascinating that lot of us are wrapped up in the hype of android and ipad without the knowledge that there is a badass tablet out there that on par with the "premium android n ipad".

@OP

Side loading is very easy though we do have to load up again after updates so i keep those apps in a folder on my pc. I always load it up after update along with updating my music. It's cool to hear someone love their playbook not complaining
    I am not looking to debate you because a lot of what you are saying is your personal opinion. In MY case though, here is a breakdown of a few items on my Playbook and a comparison what I have on my other device that I'd ideally have on my Playbook. I am going to skip Netflix and Skype do the the obvious redundancy.

- Pulse Newsreader - Available on all other platforms, has to be sideloaded on Playbook. Does not run as well as on iOS, but newer versions are pretty good. But, has to be re-sideloaded for every update which erases all my settings each time.

- EcoHeadache - my Migraine diary app which for me is something important. Not available, as as far as I know no alternatives are. I can't have a browser version because I can't be reliant on WiFi signal to use it. There are literally dozens of these apps for other os's.

- TuneinRadio Pro - Can be accessed through the browser, but the web version has nowhere near the functionality of the pro app. There are practically no internet radio apps for Playbook which is shocking. Nobex is one of the only comparable one (the only other I know of is only for individual cities), and it has a ridiculous pricing structure requiring a subscription.

- My bank's app - I can use the browser, but the App is a massive time saver. The iOS version of my bank's app is a beautifully designed app.

- MoptionX GPS - I haven't found an alternative as good for Playbook.

- Add to this that the stock Twitter, Facebook, and Podcast apps are pretty rough on Playbook. To get a decent client for Facebook, I have to sideload something. There really doesn't seem to be much of anything as far as Podcasts.

One response on this forum will be 'well, but another tablet then', which I will likely do at some point. The Playbook is a great tablet though, and back when I bought it I was optimistic some of these apps, especially the most basic ones, would find their way to Playbook.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 08-09-12 at 05:49 PM.
    08-09-12 05:47 PM
    I generally am not fixated on apps. But, lets be real here. In certain instances, there are apps on other platforms that outperform the related websites, if they even exist. If it doesn't matter to you, then it's a non-issue. For me, however, it is an issue, and the reason I chose to return the Playbook. I need my bank app beacuse there are plenty of times that I can't get to the bank and want to do a remote check deposit. Website can't do that. I need Viber, Skype and WeChat apps because they allow me to be in contact with my offices and associates in other countries. No websites for those either. I need my stock trading app because, again, the website doesn't have the same functionality. What I don't need is a $300 web browser that doesn't do everything I need it to do. I just wish it did......
    my asus laptop is doomed then because windows 7 does not support apps...but seriously no tablet is perfect. ios might have more apps but lack of flash support makes it browser half baked and you do use your browser most frequently. android might have more apps than pb but then most of them are made for phone. lack of few apps should not prevent anyone from using otherwise excellent tablet. At $299 64Gb Pb is a steal. with this much space I can load tons of movies and music on it. no need for claud service

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by bitek; 08-09-12 at 06:58 PM.
    08-09-12 06:56 PM
    I am not looking to debate you because a lot of what you are saying is your personal opinion. In MY case though, here is a breakdown of a few items on my Playbook and a comparison what I have on my other device that I'd ideally have on my Playbook. I am going to skip Netflix and Skype do the the obvious redundancy.

- Pulse Newsreader - Available on all other platforms, has to be sideloaded on Playbook. Does not run as well as on iOS, but newer versions are pretty good. But, has to be re-sideloaded for every update which erases all my settings each time.

- EcoHeadache - my Migraine diary app which for me is something important. Not available, as as far as I know no alternatives are. I can't have a browser version because I can't be reliant on WiFi signal to use it. There are literally dozens of these apps for other os's.

- TuneinRadio Pro - Can be accessed through the browser, but the web version has nowhere near the functionality of the pro app. There are practically no internet radio apps for Playbook which is shocking. Nobex is one of the only comparable one (the only other I know of is only for individual cities), and it has a ridiculous pricing structure requiring a subscription.

- My bank's app - I can use the browser, but the App is a massive time saver. The iOS version of my bank's app is a beautifully designed app.

- Add to this that the stock Twitter, Facebook, and Podcast apps are pretty rough on Playbook. To get a decent client for Facebook, I have to sideload something. There really doesn't seem to be much of anything as far as Podcasts.

One response on this forum will be 'well, but another tablet then', which I will likely do at some point. The Playbook is a great tablet though, and back when I bought it I was optimistic some of these apps, especially the most basic ones, would find their way to Playbook.
    I agree that sideloading is far from perfect but it is soooooo much fun to look for those apks,convert them and behold playbook powerful qnx running android with ease.

playbook is the best fit for me. ios is too closed-in system, android is ok but playbook is better because it can do both. if I needed and used skype a lot I would go with android and ios. if I was using netflix a lot I would go with ios or android but I do not like netflix and skype I use on pc anyways. pb is perfect for me

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by bitek; 08-09-12 at 07:10 PM.
    08-09-12 07:02 PM

I don't deny that PlayBook is weak in term of Apps. Though you have to admit it a newcomer in the tablet market right? We all hope this will soon change after BB10 roll out. My point is that, you decide to buy the PB you should have known or researched about it and make your decision. Don't buy it and find it doesn't have a wide range of apps you need then keep saying it sucks because "No App this, no App that" in every single thread that some one discuss about how they like the PB.

P/s im not talking about you in specific, in general many of us do that . About side loading, we have to make-do with it any way
    08-09-12 07:10 PM
    I don't deny that PlayBook is weak in term of Apps. Though you have to admit it a newcomer in the tablet market right? We all hope this will soon change after BB10 roll out. My point is that, you decide to buy the PB you should have known or researched about it and make your decision. Don't buy it and find it doesn't have a wide range of apps you need then keep saying it sucks because "No App this, no App that" in every single thread that some one discuss about how they like the PB.

P/s im not talking about you in specific, in general many of us do that . About side loading, we have to make-do with it any way
    I was simply using examples to point out that the browser does not fill in the 'holes'. It just doesn't. It's a great alternative to some missing apps, and can be a better options in some cases. But it's not fix all solution.

As for people's buying habits, you can tell people currently not to buy a Playbook that they likely won't get any apps until BB10. But 6 months to a year ago, the 'mood' was optimistic that a lot of popular apps would be coming to Playbook at some earlier than that. It was like that even on this forum, the first BB related forum I browsed when looking up Playbook info. So I don't think it's a simple case of writing it off to 'stupid customers'. I read posts from optimistic customers, and took a chance. I don't regret my purchase as it's a great product for the price I paid. But, time has passed and I still can't do some of the daily tasks I'd like to be able to do. I don't think I want to wait out BB10 to see what happens, so I will probably buy another device in the meantime.
    08-10-12 03:56 AM
    There is solid selection of apps in many categories
    08-10-12 07:45 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD