Yeah, I guess i just want an easier method, with less hassle.

Sideloading is easy, but its a hassle to me.

Yes, there are some great Native apps, but not many that IM particularly interested in ( thumbs up to Sketch w Friends though, that app is AWESOME! )

In the beginning, I just assumed that having the Android app player would allow access to all or most Android apps. I thought there would be sooo many Android apps to choose from in App World and most developers would gladly port them over.

Because this isnt the case, im just really disappointed. thats all.
    Join the club... lol

Although I am doing my best to try and find alternatives and make them known to people so we can ALL enjoy THE TRUE POWER of the PB.
    (although, like you said... it is a bit of an unnecessary hassle... but i sort of like it, but not that much)
    04-05-12 02:55 PM
    Right. Its pretty random, so its hard to figure out why it happens.
    which is also known as a....BUG. the PB isn't buggy...LOL

anyway, the point of the post (again) is that the PB is flawed, seriously flawed, buggy (and for those of you that don't understand the term, a bug is undesired operation such as crashing for no apparent reason), but still worth the price of admission to ME. ymmv. you guys need to stop treating this little tablet like it's your little brother. you sound crazy being so defensive about it.
    04-05-12 02:59 PM
    which is also known as a....BUG. the PB isn't buggy...LOL

anyway, the point of the post (again) is that the PB is flawed, seriously flawed, buggy (and for those of you that don't understand the term, a bug is undesired operation such as crashing for no apparent reason), but still worth the price of admission to ME. ymmv. you guys need to stop treating this little tablet like it's your little brother. you sound crazy being so defensive about it.
    Im not really defending the TABLET, just one aspect of it. I do LOVE the PB, and havent found anything wrong with it that I havent found in other devices before. I think the main problem, which you stated, is that a lot of these bugs were 'early release' bugs that would be fixed right out of the gate... well, we've already done a couple of laps and are still waiting. Other then that i think the specs, performance and potential of the PB are right there beside the NEW iPad.
    04-05-12 03:13 PM
    Im not really defending the TABLET, just one aspect of it. I do LOVE the PB, and havent found anything wrong with it that I havent found in other devices before. I think the main problem, which you stated, is that a lot of these bugs were 'early release' bugs that would be fixed right out of the gate... well, we've already done a couple of laps and are still waiting. Other then that i think the specs, performance and potential of the PB are right there beside the NEW iPad.
    Be careful, my friend. You just put out a plate of troll bait. Trolls trolling in 3, 2, 1....
    04-05-12 03:19 PM
    Be careful, my friend. You just put out a plate of troll bait. Trolls trolling in 3, 2, 1....
    lol... not really
    ketchron likes this.
    04-05-12 04:59 PM
    My Opinion on Playbook 2.0

Build - Excellent and Rugged

User Interface - Excellent and Intuitive

Native Applications - Adequate

Eco System/ App Store - Poor

Social Media - Poor

Browser - Good (Full browser experience however bookmarking system in nonsensical)

Video - Good

Audio - Good

Screen - Excellent

Size - Very Good

Android Run Time Environment - Unreliable

Ease of Use - Excellent

Battery Life - Good

Accessories - Good

Bridge - Mixed (Good generally but poor with Video)

Special Features - Wireless Transfer, HDMI, Phone Remote, Presenter Mode - Excellent

Overall Tech and Software Rating - Very Good

Competitive Prospects - Poor

Longevity of Product Platform - Poor

Future Outlook - Poor
    Last edited by JTATL; 04-05-12 at 05:28 PM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-05-12 05:23 PM
    You don't "need" a data plan for an iPad. You can create a hotspot with your cellular phone and let your iPad use the data connection. That's how I use my iPad3. While it is easier to use Internet via Bluetooth/Bridge on a PB, the cries that you need data for iPad2 and iPad3 are unfounded defenses of the PB.

Hotspots not free. Bridge is. At least. Not in the US.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    04-05-12 05:24 PM
    Every well told story deserves a happy ending chainsaw....kudos to you! Thanks for sharing!!
    04-05-12 05:39 PM
    My sideloaded apps work fine. What are you running??

I dont find the android buggy - we need to specify what doesnt work, not just it's buggy. We cant fix a general statment like buggy
    Agreed. It would be nice if we knew which Android sideloaded apps shemaree09 is using. As it is, the complaints are just complaints without any intention to work toward finding a solution.
    04-05-12 05:45 PM
    Agreed. It would be nice if we knew which Android sideloaded apps shemaree09 is using. As it is, the complaints are just complaints without any intention to work toward finding a solution.

I posted many links to people on here having the same problems.

I don't think its necessarily the apps. Its the Android player. Its hard to diagnose because it is random.

I'm not complaining. I'm simply stating facts.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-05-12 05:51 PM
    Hotspots not free. Bridge is. At least. Not in the US.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    My bad, I'm in Canada, didn't realize carriers charge in the US. That's BS.
    04-05-12 09:33 PM
    I posted many links to people on here having the same problems.

I don't think its necessarily the apps. Its the Android player. Its hard to diagnose because it is random.

I'm not complaining. I'm simply stating facts.

Its certain apps. For me, some apps run without crashing, while others don't. Its all about how the original Android app was programmed/designed, and "how" compatible that programming is with the Android Player and BB PlayBook.
    04-05-12 09:34 PM
    Its certain apps. For me, some apps run without crashing, while others don't. Its all about how the original Android app was programmed/designed, and "how" compatible that programming is with the Android Player and BB PlayBook.

I disagree, because one app might crash one day, and the next day it works fine with no problems. Another app might crash that day, and work fine a few hours later.

This is a known bug.

The Android app is buggy, geez!

04-05-12 09:49 PM
    Guess I'm lucky!
    04-05-12 10:17 PM
    Seriously, 199? You cannot go wrong.whether you have a PB or not wouldn't impact your decision on whether you buy ipad or not. It is just two or three dinners.
    04-05-12 10:39 PM
    Seriously, 199? You cannot go wrong.whether you have a PB or not wouldn't impact your decision on whether you buy ipad or not. It is just two or three dinners.

Huh?

04-05-12 11:12 PM
    OS2 is buggy, including the Android player. I get "hangs" on bootup--pretty swirling blobs forever, until you reboot and try again; Android Kindle crashes/hangs, requiring reboots; things get sloooow... Oddly enough, the last Beta OS2 worked quite well for me; things definitely got a lot worse with the "fully baked" official OS2. Anyway to roll back? In its present state, I find myself using the Playbook less and less--just too frustrating. A re-install did not help. I'm hoping for a "bug fix" update...
    04-06-12 12:08 AM
    OP, I am also a PB revert. Most of your points are valid, except for the "free" data. Bridge is not the only solution. You can get "free" (after a one time ~$15-20 app purchase) on Android tablets (I am sure there is something similar for jailbroken iPads as well).

But if I lost my PB, I would also probably buy another PB, given the prices stayed at what they are now. Of course, if the prices went up to the competitor's level, I'd look elsewhere.
    04-06-12 01:26 AM
    "If there's no app, just use the browser".

Yes, you can do this, but this takes away the purpose and function of a tablet. Using a browser on any 7" tablet is not enjoyable. You have to zoom in and out constantly to click on links, drop down menus are buggy, videos sometimes does not work, desktop version of the site is fubar, etc etc. Basically the screen is too small for proper website display, which means your big finger works against you while using the PB. Tablets are all about finger interfacing. And what is designed from the beginning to work well with your digits? Apps. A good app is immensely more enjoyable to use than the website version of it. So yes, using the browser is a good workaround in the absence of an app. But that doesn't mean people shouldn't want the app version of it.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-06-12 09:32 AM
    I hear android apps are buggy on android.
    04-06-12 10:10 AM
    I hear android apps are buggy on android.
    You heard wrong.
    04-06-12 10:19 AM
    Hey, PlayBook isn't right for everyone. The guy has specific needs if the PlayBook doesn't meet them he is correct to look elsewhere. That doesn't mean to say that his "fail" matters at all to the vast majority of PlayBook owners. To each his own. For me PlayBook does everything I need it to do, and does it far better than any other solution I have tried.
    04-06-12 10:20 AM
    You heard wrong.
    I guess just like the pb you only hear from the ones having trouble. Now you have set me straight.
    malcerie likes this.
    04-06-12 10:34 AM
    I guess just like the pb you only hear from the ones having trouble. Now you have set me straight.
    People tend to post when bad things happen and not when they are 'ok' with situation

I haven't had problems with my playbook... But I know others have.
    04-06-12 04:42 PM
    Heins is RIM's last hope, and judging his results at Siemen's, RIM's condemned to fail!
    04-06-12 10:53 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD