Deride on! Many people deride PB and BlackBerry in general. I don't really care. PB is great device and it pretty much does everything I have asked of it. Tablets are a 'personal device' and it doesn't matter what others think of it because I did not buy it for them; I bought it for me. The OS 2.1 beta bridged to my 9780 is a very nice set up. I am more than happy to wait for BB10 with this combo. Pretty much all the "deriders" I show the combo to are less derisive after I give a 5 minute tour of it. BB10 on a new handset bridged to a PB running (eventually) BB10 will be glorious. Haven't seen anything on other tablets that I feel I am missing. Deride on!
    malcymalc and bungaboy like this.
    09-15-12 08:13 AM
    No you didn't make a mistake be comfortable in your own skin as other people have said if it works for you bravo use it in good health and happiness.
    One of my favorite things to do lately is to walk down the block to Starbucks and enjoy a great a great but wat to expensive cup of komodo dragon coffee its like rocket fuel grab a table fire up my Playbook using my curve as a remote and watch the fruit people (no offense to anyone who owns one) look at me like I have $*+t on my face I guess without the fruit thing and not having the hipster look attracts a lot of attention to myself its a lot of fun every Pb owner should try it sometime its definitely good for a few laughs just don't ask anyone to pass you the sugar.
    You didnt make a mistake you made a great investment.
    I am and will remain a proud PB owner and a proud member of CRACKBERRY NATION.
    its the best show in town
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-15-12 09:21 AM
    Just ask the android and ios folks if they can suggest a good tablet that allows you to bridge through your phones data plan for free Internet access on the go. Let em look around and get back to you on that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Yes I would like to see how that would go.
    09-15-12 09:47 AM
    Bridging isn't actually that big of a deal since you can connect with a wifi hotspot phone just as easily. Some of the apps don't work with bridge, so you have to go to hotspot anyways. I think Bridge is better only in that it's always there, you don't need to worry about turning on the hotspot and connecting each time.
    09-15-12 01:40 PM
    Bridging isn't actually that big of a deal since you can connect with a wifi hotspot phone just as easily. Some of the apps don't work with bridge, so you have to go to hotspot anyways. I think Bridge is better only in that it's always there, you don't need to worry about turning on the hotspot and connecting each time.
    I disagree its indispensable to me when im working in the field seamless transfer of data between pb and bb phone
    09-15-12 01:46 PM
    I have a Nexus 7 and I have a SGS3 and now a wonderful bargain the PB 32GB. I have just started to play with it and I am both impressed and frustrated.

I am impressed that it is made with impressive build quality and material. At $118.00 is is a bargain. What is not so impressive is the software I have to use to add video`s is less than impressive. I will poke around and maybe find easier ways to do things.

Overall it will meet my needs, I am a old BB user that went to Android, but I hope Rim`s BB10 is very successful maybe I will come back, in the mean time I will enjoy this product...

Any links to make my life easier would be most appreciated!!!
    09-15-12 10:49 PM
    I have a Nexus 7 and I have a SGS3 and now a wonderful bargain the PB 32GB. I have just started to play with it and I am both impressed and frustrated.

I am impressed that it is made with impressive build quality and material. At $118.00 is is a bargain. What is not so impressive is the software I have to use to add video`s is less than impressive. I will poke around and maybe find easier ways to do things.

Overall it will meet my needs, I am a old BB user that went to Android, but I hope Rim`s BB10 is very successful maybe I will come back, in the mean time I will enjoy this product...

Any links to make my life easier would be most appreciated!!!
    What software are you using? I just do wifi transfers for media. Works like a charm. I only connect with Desktop Manager when I need to backup or upgrade.
    bungaboy and caanda45 like this.
    09-15-12 10:56 PM
    Like my first so much, I bought a second. Use it everyday and it goes with me everywhere.

And once the BB10 is out, there will be another BB in house, maybe 2 more. we'll see.

Enjoy it. It is a great product.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-15-12 11:11 PM
    If it works for you... great, who can take that from you.

Would you have paid AUD 800.00, USD 845.00 GBP 520.00 for it? Take that in to account, a year waiting for the most basic fixes and not much else since? Rendered useless from day one almost. I think that's where the rot started... I could go on.

But honestly, if it does what you need it to do, and got a great deal on it then thumbs up.
    09-15-12 11:20 PM
    Thanks for all the reassurance. I was under the impression that BB10 would sidestep the PB. What might I expect from this os that will improve things??
    Who says it wont? RIM have given us their word before... I will believe it when I see it, and not until.

Microsoft will not update 7.5 phones to 8... their devices are a fresher and younger. By the time BB10 hits new BB phones the PB will not financially be a priority for a company already making cutbacks tightening shoestrings.

BB10 to be released, and if RIM are sensible they will stay focused on what they designed it for and have an annual apple-esque rollout of new hardware and updates/patches for the phone OS.

Like I said, when I see it.

(that doesn't mean your PB's are obsolete, if your happy now, you'll be happy then)
    09-15-12 11:28 PM
    What software are you using? I just do wifi transfers for media. Works like a charm. I only connect with Desktop Manager when I need to backup or upgrade.
    Is their an app for that? Seems to be a better choice, Desktop Manager pi$$ed me off when I had a BB....lol always an easier way....thanks awaiting your reply!!!
    09-15-12 11:49 PM
    Is their an app for that? Seems to be a better choice, Desktop Manager pi$$ed me off when I had a BB....lol always an easier way....thanks awaiting your reply!!!
    If you're on a Windows PC, just open Explorer and type in \\playbook\media or \\(your PB IP address)\media. It should open a folder window that you can use to move files.
    bungaboy and caanda45 like this.
    09-15-12 11:58 PM
    Thanks, re doing the software as I played to much...lol then giving this to the wife. I think I will keep the N7. I can`t wait till BB10, I think it will make this already nicely built tablet way better. On Android, I transfer over using MTP, very easy and slick.

I am a bit frustrated at video playback, a number of my MKV files will not play. Had similar issues in Android but have a couple of players on my N7 and everything plays. I won`t convert with handbrake just not worth the time or effort. The speaker on this unit is top notch!!!!

BB10, BB10!!!
    09-16-12 12:16 AM
    If it works for you... great, who can take that from you.

Would you have paid AUD 800.00, USD 845.00 GBP 520.00 for it? Take that in to account, a year waiting for the most basic fixes and not much else since? Rendered useless from day one almost. I think that's where the rot started... I could go on.

But honestly, if it does what you need it to do, and got a great deal on it then thumbs up.
    Ditto. My first was about $800.00. I can buy a better one now for $149.00. Amazing.
    09-16-12 05:37 AM
    How is that amazing? Genuinely curious.

Your product is now worth less than 20% of the original price and RIM are selling products at prices that really does nothing to benefit their long term viability.
    09-16-12 08:03 AM
    Yeah. Be proud , you didnt follow the hype, you bought what you wanted to buy , not what what they told you to buy,
    Good luck with your device, i dont regret buying mine .
    That's what I did...buying what I thought I needed. After using it for 6 months or so, I am thinking I should have listened to others more carefully when making decisions. My biggest gripe is not its slowness in everything, but rather how it randomly decide whether to work or not when it comes to applications. Many applications seem not to work when wi-fi is not connected. This is mind boggling as I should have "to-do list, calendar, and contact list" at anytime. Even the applications purchased work part time.

For it to be useful, all downloaded News should be visible even walking away from wi-fi, in addition to those permanent "essential PDA applications" like the ones mentioned above. My opinion of course. (please don't say return my device and get other tablet!)
    09-16-12 08:35 AM
    How is that amazing? Genuinely curious.

Your product is now worth less than 20% of the original price and RIM are selling products at prices that really does nothing to benefit their long term viability.
    RIM already to the hit on these with a prior write down.

By selling at these prices they are getting some cash and expanding user base.

That is not a bad thing.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-16-12 08:51 AM
    That's what I did...buying what I thought I needed. After using it for 6 months or so, I am thinking I should have listened to others more carefully when making decisions. My biggest gripe is not its slowness in everything, but rather how it randomly decide whether to work or not when it comes to applications. Many applications seem not to work when wi-fi is not connected. This is mind boggling as I should have "to-do list, calendar, and contact list" at anytime. Even the applications purchased work part time.

For it to be useful, all downloaded News should be visible even walking away from wi-fi, in addition to those permanent "essential PDA applications" like the ones mentioned above. My opinion of course. (please don't say return my device and get other tablet!)
    (I guess I got lucky I dont find anything slow about the playbook and all my apps are full time employees wifi or not via bridge the slowest thing about my pb is the boot time and for me its no biggie cant understand why people get so po at the boot time 2.5 min in the big picture of life is just not that big a deal.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-16-12 10:02 AM
    As a family man who's always on a tight budget, the Playbook was as the very limit of affordability for me. The �199 Nexus may as well be the �5000 Nexus, because it would be equally out of reach financially. The very fact that I can browse the Web without having to book a slot on the family pc is heaven. So all things considered, I'm very pleased with paying �130 for a 64gb tablet. Hey.. I coulda bought an HP touchpad...!!!
    esk369 and alan510 like this.
    09-16-12 10:35 AM
    On my side of town, bb is a relative unknown brand.

When I got the tablet fever, I searched around. Having a android phone, I had a pretty good idea of the user experience expected from a android tablet. Came across pb, checked several videos and forum's. Of course most forums posts were less than enthusiastic about pb.

Whent to my local staples, the 'tablet' expert knew less than me regarding the product

I thought: 15 day money back, good price, well built... had nothing to loose.

What a wonderful surprise! Love it since day one, even though colleagues were making friendly bets to which system I would get after the refund.

I find it very simple and natural to use pb's os. Not sure people love to hate pb is due to ignorance or is not really not their cup of tea. OP, I think most people go with the flow and reject everything else.

Because of pb, I stopped using my Android phone and whent back to my old E71 nokia, l simply started to hate the user experience: confusing os, not tight os... It feels like a glued os. I am waiting for BB10 phone due to the pb, but if bb10 it does not work for me, mmm.... Well.. I might go with nokia 920.
    Last edited by digitalman101; 09-16-12 at 11:28 AM.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-16-12 11:23 AM
    Digitalman101 I like to hear success stories such as yours I also have a successful partnership with my pb and if BBXX is everything that everyone is hoping it will be then its only going to get btter.
    digitalman101 likes this.
    09-16-12 11:38 AM
    Most who see my PB are just surprised it exists. Haven't had a negative comment about it yet, except from the cat at Best Buy who sold me my original 16 GB model.
    09-19-12 10:32 PM
    ^^ the only reason I knew it existed was because of my gf's cousin - who would bring it everywhere with him.
    09-20-12 03:48 AM
    RIM already to the hit on these with a prior write down.

By selling at these prices they are getting some cash and expanding user base.

That is not a bad thing.
    I don't see it like that, It waters down the brand value. There is little to say that a PB user will buy a BB based on owning a bargain basement (cost) tablet.

Cash? How? The majority of these units were already sold to retailers. The retailer may have made some cash but I'm sure RIM refunded them loads on the price drop. I would find it hard to believe that RIMM broke even after R&D etc on the PB.
    09-20-12 06:01 AM
    I don't see it like that, It waters down the brand value. There is little to say that a PB user will buy a BB based on owning a bargain basement (cost) tablet.

Cash? How? The majority of these units were already sold to retailers. The retailer may have made some cash but I'm sure RIM refunded them loads on the price drop. I would find it hard to believe that RIMM broke even after R&D etc on the PB.
    Well let me explain.

I, as a PB user, bought another 6 of these units at "bargain basement cost" during these great sales, These were in addition to the 8 PB I had previously bought for family and myself over the past 18 months.

The folks at my Wal-Mart store told be their PlayBooks were shipped to them direct from RIM bt FedEx when I bought 3 on September 7th.

So, it appears they were not "already sold to retailers". Then RIM got cash.

Nobody said, expressed or implied that RIM broke even.

Hope you landed a few of these great tablets at bargain basement prices.
    09-20-12 07:23 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD