now what are you going to do with your old playbook now?
    09-30-11 02:07 PM
    09-30-11 02:30 PM
    Anyone thinking this is a temporary price drop and a special buying opportunity is completely delusional. When has that ever happened with any piece of technology, ever? The price will drop much further from here, IMO. Once those Kindle Fires roll out in November, you'll see the PB hit $199 everywhere. Then $150 or less once the PB is officially abandoned or the next version comes out (the former being far more likely). PB is dead. I may buy one if it's the same price as the Kindle Fire, since I prefer the 7 inch form factor and have a BB 9930, but the PB is dead. Accept it. If RIM doesn't think they can make money at the same pricepoint as the Kindle Fire, they will not challenge Amazon.
    mustangv8 likes this.
    09-30-11 02:34 PM
    i am the first ***** who bought this after launch and return it after 3days.

now RIM only counts on android market which is not good
    09-30-11 02:41 PM
    sale? sale forever... they might going to low the price this coming holiday.
    09-30-11 02:50 PM
    I agree with Trinity. Here in NY the PlayBook has shown good potential at the -200 price point. Best buy stores within 30 miles were sold out and I found a Playbook at a Staples after calling more than 10. I am happy with my purchase.
    09-30-11 04:11 PM

Hey Trinity, where are you seeing these sales in Canada, cause I'm struggling to find the good ones in the western prairies. Seems like the $249 ones are either in the US or for Rogers employees only. Thanks.
    BlackBerry - PlayBook Tablet with 16GB Memory - PRD-38548-001

Sale:
    $299.99

Reg. Price:
    $499.99

You Save:
    $200.00
    Only a $50 difference, but it's better than $250.
    jaspergrizzly likes this.
    09-30-11 08:32 PM
    BlackBerry - PlayBook Tablet with 16GB Memory - PRD-38548-001

Only a $50 difference, but it's better than $250.
    Thanks. Must be a new sale cause was there 2 days ago and did not see that sale.
    09-30-11 08:41 PM
    doesn't matter to me.. I bought mine (32gig) after it first came out and I haven't regretted it yet.. I also look forward to the updates and the Android apps.
    09-30-11 09:38 PM
    This is what RIM should have done during launch week, have 50% off introductory price to get the fad going instead of spending millions and millions of dollars on marketing getting the PB nowhere.
    09-30-11 09:48 PM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    at these very attractive temporary discounts, the Playbooks ARE flying off the shelves and the Playbook base is growing considerably. With the major software release 2.0 the Playbook becomes even more formidable! ... ...and if you have a bold 9900 paired to it...you can't beat that!...stay tuned...great things are coming...enjoy your Playbook!!
    09-30-11 10:14 PM
    Interesting ... officemax.com says ...

Blackberry Playbook Tablet 16GB
    WHILE SUPPLIES LAST
    Ships in: Discontinued

I'm supposing that means OfficeMax is no longer going to carry the device. Although, that's what their website said about the TouchPad as well.
    09-30-11 10:18 PM
    I have the PB, brought it when it first came out. And I'm a huge fan of the PB as I really really like it and really want it to succeed. But my desire to want it to succeed doesn't do jack &&^*& because RIM keeps on screwing the pooch.

I don't know why everyone thinks that the price drop to $299 is going to make the playbook successful. Yes it's flying off the shelves, but it's flying off the shelves because of the price drop not because it's such a great tablet. Once consumers get this and realize that there are no big name apps the negative reviews are going to pour in. This price drop thing isn't some big master plan that RIM has. RIM needs to get rid of inventory and recoup money they've spent into R&D. Selling at $299 is just a matter of getting some money than getting no money.

We keep ignoring the obvious,

- RIM is never going to treat developers the way Google or Apple treat their developers. You think the CO-CEO's would make an effort to get big name developers onto their platform? Nope, ****, they won't even allow a FREAKING IM CLIENT.

- update 2.0 or whatever, point is the android player is LIMITED in function. And considering that the android apps probably will have to be vetted through app world I'm willing to bet that a whole bunch of android apps won't be making it through the process. Also at the end of the day it's not native. RIM should have been focused on getting developers to code native QNX apps and make the android player as a "bonus" item.

- While PB did have some bugs when it came out, there have been a few updates yet not of the updates addressed things that should have been fixed. Music/video player can not remember last position/file played. Really? Really? I can go to B&H get the cheapest crappy tablet and it can do that but the PB can not.

-Tablet needs apps, yes I very well aware that the 20 or 30 thousand members on this forum probably don't need any apps but the rest of the buying population want apps. To ignore this is totally insane. One has to take the blinders off.

- They have QNX phones coming out soon yet they have no library of apps. How the **** are they going to convince people to switch from Android, Windows, IOS to the new QNX phones? The rest of the platforms have big name developers coding apps for their platform. RIM = 0

-The argument that it takes time or that even IOS/Android didn't have a large app pool is silly. When the ipad/iphone started there was nothing out there remotely similar to apple. RIM decided to jump into the market when the market was already exploding. If you want to play the game then you got to be ready for the game.

- Again I'll say this, the bridge is not "a must have feature". It's great if you have a BB but for the people who don't have a BB this feature is useless. And the feature is not going to convince people to drop their current platform and pick up a BB. To even think that it will make people change platform is just silly.

- So instead of courting big name developers or doing things that would make the PB (software wise) more desirable they are going out and doing a rental store for music and movies. Something is very wrong with this picture.

Put it this way, a Vizio tablet goes for about 300 bucks.
    notfanboy and JBenn911 like this.
    09-30-11 11:48 PM
    Firstly, the PB cost of materials is only $205 and probably dropping in cost with each passing month.

BlackBerry PlayBook Components Cost $205

RIM nor Apple will never achieve 40% gross margins on tablets as they do on smartphones. PB with 25% gross margin for RIM and 15% retail markup is about $295.

RIM makes money on the PB.

PB can be permanently priced at $299 and make money for both RIM and retailers.

Secondly, as for Android apps in Appworld, I think this is a good process. Everyone knows Google does a poor job of vetting apps for malware on Android Market. For RIM and BB users, security is paramount. Let RIM vet the apps. I believe users appreciate the security.

- update 2.0 or whatever, point is the android player is LIMITED in function. And considering that the android apps probably will have to be vetted through app world I'm willing to bet that a whole bunch of android apps won't be making it through the process. Also at the end of the day it's not native. RIM should have been focused on getting developers to code native QNX apps and make the android player as a "bonus" item.
    10-01-11 05:57 AM
    RIM does not set the price, the market does. Amazon's Kindle Fire price announcement is reverberating across all tablets:

Kindle Fire sets off more sales: HTC Flyer price drops by $200

This is all great for consumers. RIM will have to live with the new reality and make it work for a profit (it might mean cheaper components in future models).
    10-01-11 06:20 AM
    Firstly, the PB cost of materials is only $205 and probably dropping in cost with each passing month.

BlackBerry PlayBook Components Cost $205

RIM nor Apple will never achieve 40% gross margins on tablets as they do on smartphones. PB with 25% gross margin for RIM and 15% retail markup is about $295.

RIM makes money on the PB.

PB can be permanently priced at $299 and make money for both RIM and retailers.

Secondly, as for Android apps in Appworld, I think this is a good process. Everyone knows Google does a poor job of vetting apps for malware on Android Market. For RIM and BB users, security is paramount. Let RIM vet the apps. I believe users appreciate the security.
    You do know that if RIM does the vetting, apps that they "feel" are competing with their own in house apps will never see the light of day.
    10-01-11 09:08 PM
    I think this is an urban myth. Sorry I don't buy your argument. WhatsApp Messenger competes with BBM and is available in AppWorld. As with other PIM tools on AppWorld compete with BB apps.

As for Kik, the developer used to work for RIM. RIM contends the developer stole company secrets/info. to develop KiK thus the lawsuit. Also RIM will not compromise personal information for developers as Google does with Android (ie. access to personal contacts).

RIM needs desperately more developers. RIM needs to provide better tools for developers to build better apps.

You do know that if RIM does the vetting, apps that they "feel" are competing with their own in house apps will never see the light of day.
    10-02-11 09:37 AM
    Not a myth.

I'm aware of at least three different apps which were submitted months ago, and which have had either a run-around (as reported by SHAPE), or merely no response of any kind in spite of repeated requests for updates on the status of the app. These apps are all IM apps of one kind or another.

I don't believe I'm aware of any other apps which have had that long an approval process (assuming it's not just a "stall process"), and almost all others submitted since around May (that don't have issues with them) receive approval within only a few days of submission.

Too unlikely that the only three apps this has occurred with just happen all to be instant messaging apps.

Not just a coincidence; not an urban myth.
    10-02-11 10:10 AM
    Also $299 (+ tax of course) out the door without rebates at Staples this week plus you can buy online and get free shipping. Another $50 back after first purchase if you open a Staples credit card account at the same time for final cost of $249.
    10-02-11 10:55 AM
    Yeah i'm pretty bummed i forked over 500 bucks when the pb came out. Despite the fact that the pb has great potential for the future, i still feel pretty gyped.
    10-02-11 01:50 PM
    Yeah i'm pretty bummed i forked over 500 bucks when the pb came out. Despite the fact that the pb has great potential for the future, i still feel pretty gyped.
    Naw, you didn't get gypped, you got to use a PB for about 6 months or so at rate of approximately a buck a day, give or take a little. Be Happy!
    10-02-11 06:55 PM
    Still ticked that there isn't peeved parakeets on the PB, eh?

Meanwhile back to Dead Space where in nightmare level I'm stuck fighting the brute and assorted other necromorphs with not enough fire power.
    10-02-11 09:43 PM

Meanwhile back to Dead Space where in nightmare level I'm stuck fighting the brute and assorted other necromorphs with not enough fire power.
    App Store - Dead Space

Dead Space

It looks like iOS users get both the "peeved parakeets" AND Dead Space. You didn't think any game that good would either arrive first on (or be exclusive to) a platform that isn't selling, did you?
    10-02-11 10:21 PM

I dont know what peeved parakeets is. But yeah all i'm saying is thats alot of money for something thats being sold way cheaper now. I'm not sure if you were trying to sound like a smart a$$ or not.
    11-12-11 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD