02-05-12 10:00 PM
127 12345 ...
tools
    Looks like 1st gen PB hardware is getting scarce. Hard to find a new 16G and 'used' prices are ridiculous in Ontario. My guess is second gen pricing will come in at prices BELOW what some of the crazies on-line are asking. So glad I did not wait for next gen hardware before getting one. RIM let us know when the next version drops; hopefully it coincides with the software update.
    Try Craigslist. I have two unopened that I got off of CL right after X-Mas. Paid less thn $200 US for both.
    02-04-12 12:10 PM
    Actually, the next PB's are supposed to have 1.5 ghz dual-core processors, up a bit from the current 1.2 ghz's. And why not.
    Right on. - I miss spoke about no differences. Thanks for the correction.
    02-04-12 12:15 PM
    Screaming fast as it is... my sweetie's at work coaching someone... so here we are BBMing on our playbooks... best purchase (since my Harley!!) that I've ever made bar none. .3 ghz not worth upgrading to for us.
    02-04-12 12:20 PM
    Actually the current gen is only 1Ghz dual core
    02-04-12 12:27 PM
    My life has become a hollow shell since reading the title of this thread. Oh that I had to become the user of an EOL device. I shall stay indoors and beat myself with birch twigs as penance for not purchasing one of the popular devices. Sigh...
    Rickroller and hpjrt like this.
    02-04-12 02:15 PM
    The beautiful thing about having the playbook is that RIM didn't let us down. The end is the beginning... baptism by fire... who else has year-old hardware so advanced that a simple update OS makes it a game-changer? Seriously!
    02-04-12 02:19 PM
    The beautiful thing about having the playbook is that RIM didn't let us down. The end is the beginning... baptism by fire... who else has year-old hardware so advanced that a simple update OS makes it a game-changer? Seriously!
    Game changer? Hardly. The update simply puts in features that should have been present from the beginning.
    02-04-12 02:35 PM
    My life has become a hollow shell since reading the title of this thread. Oh that I had to become the user of an EOL device. I shall stay indoors and beat myself with birch twigs as penance for not purchasing one of the popular devices. Sigh...
    EOL is going to become an actual syndrome. We'll have to go to doctors and get prescribed anti-EOL meds. We shall henceforth be known as the EOL Generation
    02-04-12 02:40 PM
    EOL or not who cares as long as this version of pb does what you need to do that's all that matters. But if you're the type that needs the latest version no matter what, that's good too.
    02-04-12 03:27 PM
    So what does this actually mean I've bought one but it's still in its box because people have told me I shouldn't buy one now I've seen this I'm sorely tempted to take it back
    You should enjoy it. Playbook is going to be around for a long time.
    Barljo and swiftex like this.
    02-04-12 03:42 PM
    This Engadget comment is reminiscent of Best Buy employees telling me last fall that the PB was being discontinued and no longer being supported.

I have no need for anything other than a wifi only PB, so I'm good and may pick up another at a great price.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-04-12 at 03:56 PM.
    02-04-12 03:46 PM
    The bacon and egg sandwich I am eating right now is EOL. Other than that I am not going to panic!
    see, now I WANT one of those.....
    02-04-12 04:14 PM
    EOL? Distributors do not EOL products. Manufacturers EOL products and RIM has said nothing. Yes RIM will eventually stop manu of the gen 1.0 hardware. When they stop supporting is the real concern. My guess is at least 24 months and probably much longer. How long will the hardware last? That is anyones' guess.
    02-04-12 04:17 PM
    So what does this actually mean I've bought one but it's still in its box because people have told me I shouldn't buy one now I've seen this I'm sorely tempted to take it back
    It means the Playbook is making way for the PB2 just like the iPad made way for the iPad2, etc. This time next year the PB2 will EOL in favour of the PB3 and so on.

Its why we're not all still driving Model T's.
    02-04-12 05:09 PM
    "PlayBook is now end of life" ...Not mine its just starting to live.
    02-04-12 05:12 PM
    It has reached the end of it's life??? OK, turning it off and putting it in the e-waste bin. Thanks for warning me, that could have been a disaster...

02-04-12 05:23 PM
    EOL? Distributors do not EOL products. Manufacturers EOL products and RIM has said nothing. Yes RIM will eventually stop manu of the gen 1.0 hardware. When they stop supporting is the real concern. My guess is at least 24 months and probably much longer. How long will the hardware last? That is anyones' guess.
    Retailers EOL items they won't be carrying anymore.
    02-04-12 05:30 PM
    EOL? Distributors do not EOL products. Manufacturers EOL products and RIM has said nothing.
    That's exactly what the articles states. Purportedly, RIM issued the EOL notice to Telus. The question then is "Why only Telus?"

On the other hand, the notices might have gone to all retailers and only Telus' leaked.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-04-12 at 05:38 PM.
    02-04-12 05:36 PM
    Alls I gotta add to this thread is this: i was on a plane right next to an iPad user and I was PROUD to bust out my PB and start playing pewpew. And i'm glad i bought the 1st gen i don't want a 3g model, which includes having to purchase a data plan.

OK that was two things just sayin....
    02-04-12 05:53 PM
    Based on this news what do posters think is the realistic value of a used playbook if one was thinking of selling?
    02-04-12 05:56 PM
    Im not worried about this. If this is true then I hope the new PB pisses on all that is out there as far as competition. Like a quad core processor or something. I will just give my daughter my 64gb and pick up a fresh one. Big whoop.
    02-04-12 05:59 PM
    EOL or not who cares as long as this version of pb does what you need to do that's all that matters. But if you're the type that needs the latest version no matter what, that's good too.
    What worries me is that a new Playbook does not get released and the developers flee. The current model is lacking essential apps and if no new Playbook is released then there is no chance of ever getting them.
    02-04-12 06:04 PM
    No other retailers have updated their prices. They are also not supposed to be price matching even though there has been some report of it. EOL for Telus stores period!
    02-04-12 06:23 PM
    Not [EOL] for me. It does what i bought it for. Movies, music, games and more. I hope someone does a quote "End Of Life" on the next media outlet that decides to bash RIM.

How come some of the other tablets that moved on to the next model never got such bad press ? Why is it BIG news when RIM does it ?

Sorry Telus, YOU have met your "End Of Life".

I'm on Rogers. Screw Telus.
    02-04-12 07:03 PM
    I think we all new it was inevitable ...
    hence all the heavy discounts...
    Have to point out this probably means new hardware is coming... seems i've upset some people and some here don't realise...

All PlayBooks go to heaven: Telus leak points to end-of-life status -- Engadget
    3G enabled tablets have been around for a while and they haven't sold well. A 7" or 10" tablet is not a replacement for a Smart Phone. 4G/LTE which boasts high speed can be tempting as a stand alone application such as on a Tablet. 3G often sucks compared to Wi-Fi. People tend to forget about dropped calls, erratic performance, and slowness of 3G cell phones, not to mention the expense. 4G would be an advantage for a business tablet. Business applications are a big market but not using 3G.
    Last edited by djnshores; 02-04-12 at 07:24 PM.
    swiftex and Thunderbuck like this.
    02-04-12 07:22 PM
127 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD