PB2 will be insignificant bump in hardware. No biggy. Version one will be totally awesome with os2. No reason to sweat it.
    02-05-12 11:55 AM
    2.0 is going to revitalize the tablet to become one of the most desirable on the market.
    The 7 inch tab haven't proven to be that desirable, other than the kindle that is.

If R.I.M, or anyone else for that matter, can't produce a 7 inch tab and keep the price down, the 7 inch, Non-Kindle market is in for a hard time.
    02-05-12 12:06 PM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A few eggs short of a baker's dozen.
    02-05-12 12:13 PM
    I think we all new it was inevitable ...
    hence all the heavy discounts...
    Have to point out this probably means new hardware is coming... seems i've upset some people and some here don't realise...

All PlayBooks go to heaven: Telus leak points to end-of-life status -- Engadget
    Oh I thought you had something serious.

TELUS is pretty dumb as a company - I used to work there. EOL means that it is no longer being sold by TELUS not by RIM. All it means is they don't want to sell them anymore (because they make no re-occuring revenue from them).

It has nothing to do with RIM. This is of no real importance and just shows that TELUS wants nothing to do with you unless it involves them making money.

Ed.
    02-05-12 12:14 PM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A few eggs short of a baker's dozen.
    Only quoting sales numbers.

Numbers, unlike people, don't lie.
    02-05-12 12:58 PM
    numbers are only as good as the input from the human element (people) are, so numbers can lie too.
    alnamvet68 and rotorwrench like this.
    02-05-12 01:03 PM
    numbers are only as good as the input from the human element (people) are, so numbers can lie too.
    Nonsense. "Results" can be manipulated sure. But, to say numbers are only as good as the input from humans is drivel. Hilarious.

I guess even numbers are now hating on R.I.M. and the 7 inch non-kindle tablets. Hilarious.
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-05-12 01:09 PM
    Glad you got a chuckle out of that.
    02-05-12 01:22 PM
    Glad you got a chuckle out of that.
    If you're going to SxSw next month, the Grey Goose martinis are on me!!!
    02-05-12 01:26 PM
    Why thank you! I'll keep that in mind.... if I don't make it there, can I get a raincheck?
    02-05-12 01:28 PM
    Why thank you! I'll keep that in mind.... if I don't make it there, can I get a raincheck?
    I only make to TX twice a year. Have a nephew in the Air Force outside of Houston.

But if you're ever up in the Great City, drop a word and I show you some of the best Martini Bars in the Solar System!

Cheers!
    02-05-12 01:51 PM
    Telus who? I am sure RIM invested their money and resources for the last 3Q's to say "Telus is right lets abandon the playbook and QNX and for that matter the tablet industry."
    Last edited by Hgouck; 02-05-12 at 02:09 PM.
    02-05-12 02:06 PM
    Am I on Match.com?
    ritesh likes this.
    02-05-12 02:07 PM
    Am I on Match.com?
    ROFLMAO! ..... Wait..... Where am I???
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-05-12 02:38 PM
    PB2 will be insignificant bump in hardware. No biggy. Version one will be totally awesome with os2. No reason to sweat it.
    Why do people keep saying insignificant bump about next gen hardware. What I saw was 50% CPU speed increase plus radio plus NFC. To me that is not insignificant.
    02-05-12 03:00 PM
    Why do people keep saying insignificant bump about next gen hardware. What I saw was 50% CPU speed increase plus radio plus NFC. To me that is not insignificant.
    They are judging by what other manufacturers do within one year. Upgrades to other tablets have been "significant" in terms of the hardware "generations", e.g. Tegra 2 > Tegra 3 (different architecture) or HD resolution > FHD. Plus, all these PB3G upgrades will still make the Playbook 2 a mid-tier tablet specs-wise. Also, consider that some tablets have both Wi-Fi and 3G versions and no one is calling the 3G ones an upgrade to the Wi-Fi siblings.

You won't call a laptop with core i5-2450M a significant upgrade over the same one with i5-2410M. Right?
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-05-12 at 03:12 PM.
    02-05-12 03:07 PM
    They are judging by what other manufacturers do within one year. Upgrades to other tablets have been "significant" in terms of the hardware "generations", e.g. Tegra 2 > Tegra 3 (different architecture) or HD resolution > FHD. Plus, all these PB3G upgrades will still make the Playbook 2 a mid-tier tablet specs-wise. Also, consider that some tablets have both Wi-Fi and 3G versions and no one is calling the 3G ones an upgrade to the Wi-Fi siblings.

You won't call a laptop with core i5-2450M a significant upgrade over the same one with i5-2410M. Right?
    I still call it significant. Tegra 2 to tegra 3 is just more cores correct. It is of no real benefit if the software does not get re written. The display on my PB looks better than anything else I have seen. Not saying some others arn't nice as well. WiFi and 3G always costs more than WiFi alone. 3G it is an upgrade. NFC is an upgrade.

The difference in the speed of the two processors you list is less than 10%. Your right it is not an significant upgrade.

Playbook 1 hardware versus the rumoured 2 hardware to me is an upgrade.
    02-05-12 03:33 PM
    Tegra 2 to Tegra 3 is not just more cores (it's a "generation" change, like Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge to Haswell). Besides ICS is optimized to run on multiple cores AFAIK, so there is a real benefit. Some games use multiple cores, too.

The screen on PB is indeed good but how is it relevant here? It's not being updated.

3G and NFC are added features to me.
    02-05-12 03:42 PM
    Am I on Match.com?
    Don't tell my wife!
    02-05-12 03:53 PM
    Only EOL'd for the wifi version. Hello 3G version! (it's not LTE or 4G or 5G, it's 3G)
    02-05-12 04:37 PM
    OK guys its a minor upgrade. But still an upgrade. PB v2 will have wifi, 3g, nfc and a bump up cpu speed. Probably cheaper to get this cpu than done older version.
    02-05-12 04:52 PM
    (it's not LTE or 4G or 5G, it's 3G)
    Where did you hear this? Why make a 3G only tablet, when practically everyone is prepping for LTE ready devices?
    02-05-12 05:18 PM
    Where did you hear this? Why make a 3G only tablet, when practically everyone is prepping for LTE ready devices?
    When carriers begin to simply rename their networks, it confuses and misleads customers. I know for a fact that if it really was 4G/LTE, the upstream/downstream would be at 10 megabytes per second both ways, or 5 megabytes upstream (10 downstream). But since it hasn't reached that high yet, it's not possible. That and extreme throttling, plus a grade B or C ping (pingtest.net rocks for measurements). I saw through that light when I looked through the blinds that day. There won't be a extremely/fastest network until 2020 the way I see it.
    02-05-12 05:38 PM
    I have used BB for years, every time I think I have upgraded to the new phone at the right time, BB announce a better version of the same phone eg Torch 9800 and Torch 9810 both of which seem to have been forgotten now that they are focusing on BB 10 devices.
    Luckily for me I got my BB Playbook free with my last contract and so am not too unhappy, but it still makes me cross that it is EOL when so many people have supported RIM even when they launched a tablet that was not fully ready, so WHY would I even think for a minute about buying another Playbook when I know it will not be current within a year, remember that contract for mobiles are now 24 months these days so I would expect my phone to be changed every 2 years.
    Does the current economic outlook support the prospect of a new model, judging from the media it would seem that we are going into a double dip recession so is this a good move for RIM??

I'm sorry. You say you signed a contract to get your Playbook for free? What did they throw it in for free with your cell phone? If so, you have NOTHING to complain about. Stop gloating.
    02-05-12 09:20 PM
    I still call it significant. 3G it is an upgrade.
    . Your right it is not an significant upgrade.

Playbook 1 hardware versus the rumoured 2 hardware to me is an upgrade.
    You've got it bad. Seriously. I love my Playbook, too. But come on.
    02-05-12 09:24 PM
127 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD