I think we all new it was inevitable ...
    hence all the heavy discounts...
    Have to point out this probably means new hardware is coming... seems i've upset some people and some here don't realise...

All PlayBooks go to heaven: Telus leak points to end-of-life status -- Engadget
    Last edited by wyabcp; 02-04-12 at 05:58 AM.
    02-04-12 04:25 AM
    So what does this actually mean I've bought one but it's still in its box because people have told me I shouldn't buy one now I've seen this I'm sorely tempted to take it back
    Taipuma likes this.
    02-04-12 04:52 AM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Playbook is amazing!!! .. have used it since day one!! .. and major software upgrade is coming to all playbooks Feb 17th! ...
    mandony likes this.
    02-04-12 04:55 AM
    Interesting thread.

Maybe it's an attempt at comedy.

2.0 anyone?
    02-04-12 04:57 AM
    Playbook is amazing!!! .. have used it since day one!! .. and major software upgrade is coming to all playbooks Feb 17th! ...
    Has that been confirmed?
    Taipuma likes this.
    02-04-12 04:57 AM
    LMAO! it's been discussed on other threads further down.
    I believe the consensus is that the current 'hardware' is EOL. Making room for the 'new' one with 3g/lte <- or whatever it's called.
    Whatever happens - I'll be grabbing a few more if they truly are EOL as the 'clowns' claim.
    I love mine, have to fight for it in our house of 5. The hardware rocks!
    02-04-12 04:58 AM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Has that been confirmed?
    a few sources have confirmed it .. but no public announcements ...
    02-04-12 05:00 AM
    Frankly, OP - you've been a member nearly three years. You should know better than to post this.

Or at least to search before posting...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...gadget-694494/

Lazy posting is as bad as lazy "reporting"...
    02-04-12 05:11 AM
    Just like all other tablets, new versions are coming! The new playbook will have NFC and a faster processor, who knows what else but know this a wifi only version will be made!
    02-04-12 05:12 AM
    I have used BB for years, every time I think I have upgraded to the new phone at the right time, BB announce a better version of the same phone eg Torch 9800 and Torch 9810 both of which seem to have been forgotten now that they are focusing on BB 10 devices.
    Luckily for me I got my BB Playbook free with my last contract and so am not too unhappy, but it still makes me cross that it is EOL when so many people have supported RIM even when they launched a tablet that was not fully ready, so WHY would I even think for a minute about buying another Playbook when I know it will not be current within a year, remember that contract for mobiles are now 24 months these days so I would expect my phone to be changed every 2 years.
    Does the current economic outlook support the prospect of a new model, judging from the media it would seem that we are going into a double dip recession so is this a good move for RIM??
    02-04-12 05:18 AM
    lock this thread.
    02-04-12 05:29 AM

[link removed = no promo for the site ]
    First release of PB is done. Now second release, including SIM enabled to come ones, will ship soon. They clean their stock before new packaging and releases.

Edit : added comment on the site.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-04-12 at 05:41 AM.
    wyabcp, Thunderbuck and Taipuma like this.
    02-04-12 05:34 AM

Wyabcp is a 3 year member and not 1 like nor 1 thank you? I wonder why...
    Barljo and bbvj like this.
    02-04-12 05:43 AM
    Whatever. Regardless of the EOL factor, in all honesty, really, in light of the fact that there is BlackBerry Bridge, which, for those who are not desiring to spend yet more money on yet another data plan (as would be the case with the 3G model), does it really matter???

Thus far I have had an amazing experience with my PlayBook, and am now using it -- while connected to my Bold 9900 via the Bridge -- as I am presently in Europe -- and in the past (without the PB) I was always reduced to just my BB for internet access. Also, and in particular regarding international travel, considering the fact that it is increasingly difficult for those not already grandfathered into unlimited international data plans to actually afford international data for anything more than just emails, what will a 3G version offer over what I am already able to do with BlackBerry Bridge?

So let Telus market the new PB's as they see best for their business end, but let it not discourage ANYONE who already owns and uses a most amazing device.

When 2.0 is released it will only get better.
    02-04-12 05:45 AM
    So what does this actually mean I've bought one but it's still in its box because people have told me I shouldn't buy one now I've seen this I'm sorely tempted to take it back
    Try it first before you take it back. You wont regret it.

Besides, the Playbook is not going anywhere.
    02-04-12 05:47 AM
    Frankly, OP - you've been a member nearly three years. You should know better than to post this.

Or at least to search before posting...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...gadget-694494/

Lazy posting is as bad as lazy "reporting"...
    just saw it and posted... nothing wrong with that... there's so much dross on here, and i checked down a few lines and couldn't see a post, just skip the link like i do for most of the stuff...
    anyway... it's just pointing out there's new hardware on the way...
    Last edited by wyabcp; 02-04-12 at 05:51 AM.
    02-04-12 05:47 AM
    Jeez, consider the source.

I bought two more yesterday - for my kids - tried to get them at telus, but no one had any. Future shop would not price match.

Telus may be EOL, but thats it. They are retail small potatoes. Engaget, like usual, did not get a source. Blogs like that are ruining news reporting, and have no accountability.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    02-04-12 06:10 AM
    Has that been confirmed?

I would not hold my breath for new hardware. RIM is likely glad to be done with it!
    02-04-12 06:11 AM
    Try it first before you take it back. You wont regret it.

Besides, the Playbook is not going anywhere.
    I've played with it in the shop and really liked it hence why I bought it but as I am complete new to BB this concerned me
    02-04-12 06:12 AM
    would like to point out that i have a 64gb version... and would highly recommend anyone to buy one ... for the price it's a very well put together bit of kit
    02-04-12 06:15 AM
    BTW the Apple 2e and Windows XP are EOL. Poor Apple and Microsoft users what will they do?
    gschep, powellcrazy and DPSydBerry like this.
    02-04-12 06:17 AM
    Wow, so the best tablet on the market is end of life less than a year after release? RIM releases a major software upgrade to keep all of us current owners happy and an even better Playbook is on the horizon. I don't see much of a downside to that.
    I now have 2 Playbooks for less than the cost of one when it was first released.I can see some might legitimately be perturbed by that.
    swiftex likes this.
    02-04-12 06:35 AM
    I wish there was a thumb down option on this forum...
    hpjrt, Jifffer, ralfyguy and 4 others like this.
    02-04-12 07:16 AM
    It's EOL for Telus or RIM?

Engadget skews the article to suggest RIM, with out any thing to back that up.
    The internal memo posted is from Telus.
    02-04-12 07:22 AM
    Just another troll thread.
    Barljo, bbvj, Thunderbuck and 2 others like this.
    02-04-12 07:38 AM
127 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD