Hello all,

I'm currently shopping for a cheap tablet. I just sold my laptop and need something more casual and convenient to relax, surf the web, watch movies on the go , etc. Please note that I don't have a BB smartphone.

Even if I am not considering the Ipad because I think it's too closed and too expensive, I would have never considered the playbook if it was not of it's extremely low price at 199 and the upcomming 2.0 update adding well needed features. Ive compared other tablet at this price point (200-300) and the playbook is a clear winner for it's specs and features. The competing lenovo android pad at 199 is only single core and stuck on a phone android 2.3. No HDMI too...

What worries me A LOT about he playbook is current state of things at blackberry. the stock is on a free fall, rumors are all over the place. I am very affraid to spend hard earned cash on a dead product or worse a dead company. I understand that the apps are scarce, but some app is better than no new app of a dead platform.

I know I am not on neutral grounds in this forum, but I'm looking for some insight in the future of BB and it's products. Are you guys confident that things will turn around at RIM?

thanks!
    02-08-12 09:11 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry. Make sure you read the stick'ed posts/

The playbook is worh every pound/dollar/eur XD
    I had my hands on an Android tablet and on some Apple device (iPhone, not iPad but the ipad is just an oversized iphone).
    The android seemed very buggy to me and it just isn't as intuitive and fast as our QNX based tablet OS( even 1.0). It has tons of options and its rather easy to get lost...Also the multitasking isn't as awesome as on playbook.
    I absolutely hated the iPhone (4S) ... the UI seemed cheap, slow and rather hard to use...the home button is ugly and annoying to use and the lack of Flash Player really turned me off...
    So definitely "To Playbook"

Also.. Blackberry (RIM actually) is certainly not dead. They still sell tons of smartphones and we ARE getting a huge update this month. Also seeing how they are giving free playbooks to developers gives me hope that there will be lots of apps soon in the appworld. Certainly, we won't have the number of apps the Apple App Store has, but we can do more stuff with the browser. We don't need any youtube/shazzam/other apps since we can use the browser for the same functionality.
    Last edited by collapsed; 02-08-12 at 09:31 AM.
    02-08-12 09:25 AM
    As for the future of Research In Motion and BlackBerry nobody on this forum can possibly predict the outcome. Otherwise, they would have bought shares during the early years and sold them all at their peak making them instant cash-in-hand millionaires. The company is changing its entire product and services offerings which makes it all the more difficult to predict even based upon historical performance.

I, for one, want Research In Motion and BlackBerry to succeed but those decisions are not in my hands. The marketplace will ultimately determine the fate.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 02-08-12 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Given that you are prone to believing rumours, innuendos, and speculation, please stay away from BlackBerry products because
    02-08-12 09:27 AM
    Buy the tablet that best fits your needs. You are on a blackberry playbook forum. I love mine now. It will have enhancements with 2.0 which will make it better. Now is a great time to buy RIMM stock. Hope this helps.
    02-08-12 09:37 AM
    I just sold my laptop and need something more casual and convenient to relax, surf the web, watch movies on the go , etc
    PlayBook has a great Web Browser. Being that it supports Flash, it is a much richer experience than other tablets. It still has downfalls though, inability to organize/sort Bookmarks on the current OS, and will occasionally crash. As for watching movies... it does not support some audio codecs on the current OS, which could be a deterrent. "On The Go" is what the device is all about though - the 7" form factor is great, much better than the iPad size for commuting & travelling IMO.

Ive compared other tablet at this price point (200-300) and the playbook is a clear winner for it's specs and features. The competing lenovo android pad at 199 is only single core and stuck on a phone android 2.3. No HDMI too...
    You've done your shopping and you see how the hardware specs compare - you are definitely getting better bang for your buck here compared to other tablets, in terms of hardware. You'll feel & realize this after purchasing as well - it is a step above in many respects.

What worries me A LOT about he playbook is current state of things at blackberry. the stock is on a free fall, rumors are all over the place. I am very affraid to spend hard earned cash on a dead product or worse a dead company. I understand that the apps are scarce, but some app is better than no new app of a dead platform.

I know I am not on neutral grounds in this forum, but I'm looking for some insight in the future of BB and it's products. Are you guys confident that things will turn around at RIM?
    I wouldn't worry about this at all. RIM's new CEO has been quite clear... the company is not for sale, and he/they are confident about the company's future, despite it's present state.

Whether you want to believe that, is totally up to you. What I will say, if they are wanting to do this on their own - and still manage to fail - due to their grip on the corporate world, they will die a very slow death. Much longer than you will probably own your PlayBook for.

With the release of OS 2.0, given that the platform has had little success should show you both how committed, or potentially stupid they are
    02-08-12 09:38 AM
    I would advise you very strongly to get your hands on one and it will be much more than casual use for you, as long as you're cool with 7". As mentioned OS2's coming and very new stuff in there, i had mine stolen and i just bought another one, my first one was bought at the highest price point and it never bothered me cos its just one heck of a tablet!!

About the RIM going out of business, not on your nelly mate!!
    02-08-12 09:46 AM
    Just bought the 16gb model.

Can't wait to get home to set it up.

thanks all for advice, I guess i just needed that extra confidence boost.
    02-08-12 11:29 AM
    You won't regret it. You'll soon be the envy of your friends and family.

... and sharing the laughter, here is a post I wish I had written (I would not be alone)... enjoy!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ll-you-695689/
    Last edited by modine; 02-08-12 at 12:12 PM. Reason: HAD to add some humor from another member
    02-08-12 11:49 AM
    I'm currently shopping for a cheap tablet.
    Seems you did't get a cheap tablet after all, although it didn't cost much. EXCELLENT CHOICE. Enjoy.
    02-08-12 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD