It's ok if the play book is end of life, it means a new one is coming. If it makes you feel better, pretty sure the ipad2 is also end of life.
    Actually this is where the EOL message is confusing people.
    The iPad 2 is not EOL. The iPad 1 isn't even EOL.
    As mentioned earlier in this thread and I mentioned in the Telus thread EOL means the end of support for a product from the manufacturer not just the end of selling the product.
    KermEd likes this.
    02-06-12 04:53 AM

Bottom Line: When April rolls around and RIM starts talking up the *new* PlayBook models with faster CPUs and LTE support, those who kept recycling the PB-is-dead mantra will look all the more foolish. I, for one, look forward to gloating. :-)

RCK
    As long as they don't announce it on April 1. (April Fools Day)
    02-06-12 04:56 AM
    Actually this is where the EOL message is confusing people.
    The iPad 2 is not EOL. The iPad 1 isn't even EOL.
    As mentioned earlier in this thread and I mentioned in the Telus thread EOL means the end of support for a product from the manufacturer not just the end of selling the product.
    no, end of life means the retailer won't be receiving any new units and therefore wont be selling that product anymore. You can check out the link about a story of the iphone 3g being eol, and thats in may of 2009, the iphone 3g was still receiving updates until oct 2010.

16 GB iPhone 3G now classified as EOL (End of Life) by Vodafone's supplier?
    howarmat likes this.
    02-06-12 05:39 AM
    **** the doubters, I say.
    02-06-12 06:46 AM
    Just to clarify the TELUS post uses EOL to represent manufacturing end of life including support (which is the more common reference for EOL). EOL includes support typically as it refers to the end of life for the product, not manufacturing.

But with that said I have family in supply chain - the PB you own is staying in manufacturing for a long time still. No matter the term for EOL - its not happening at RIM. They are building multiple tablet devices but no plan to retire the current.

Ed
    Can you confirm this? Current PB being EOL soon is no surprise to anyone, if the new PBs are ready.
    02-06-12 08:27 AM
    All products eventually get discontinued, whether it be obsolescence or being replaced by an upgrade.

So yea, the Playbook will soon be "EOL", as the Playbook 2's knock it out of circulation.
    rjedge54 likes this.
    02-06-12 08:32 AM
    To confirm the title of this thread, here is a response posted in the Blackberry Beta Zone from John a RIM Playbook Project Manager. It was in response to someone asking if he should wait for the 3G Playbook or get the current version:

RE: PlayBook now or PlayBook 3G

Feb 3, 2012 01:33pm
    I can't speak to that, sorry. I can say that the existing PlayBook will not be phased out any time soon.

John
    Last edited by rjedge54; 02-06-12 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    kennyliu and KermEd like this.
    02-06-12 09:35 PM
    If the 3G Playbook was coming out soon, RIM would have pushed it at CES which recently went by. Instead, they were really trying to get everyone to focus on their OS 2.0 upgrade. If the 3G Playbook does come out this year, then expect it to be released either late 3rd quarter or in the 4th quarter. I bet RIM just wants to see how well OS 2.0 does before they release the 3G Playbook.

WG
    02-08-12 03:05 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD