10-16-13 02:26 AM
36 12
tools
    I DID IT!

Thanks bnrnortel for summarizing those nonworking approaches. Saved some time. I will tell you what the settings were and what i did precisely.

The settings on my PB were:

-Every darn connection mode were on on by Playbook. Meaning: Storage&Sharing - Connect to Windows - Filesharing ON - WiFiSharing ON - Password Protect ON. Security: Development Mode ON. Password ON. Note* Ive set everywhere the same password. (Sincerely I doubt ALL these settings count much but I promissed I will give you all details of my steps no matter how superfluent.)

The State of the Software on my Win XP was:

-Installed and reinstalled a few times the BB Desktop Manager AND the BB Device Manager. (I used the Revo Uninstaller software to uninstall the above a few times and clean every time the remains of those applications.). This obviously did not help since I landed on this forum. Anyway the status of those to BB softs on my pc was Installed and not really working. They were detecting my PB, the PIN of my PB, but failed to connect or to get the full details like installed OS version of my PB (201 bunlde 358).

What I did was:

-With my PB plugged into the PC, with BB Desktop Manager started and semi-functional I opened the WINDOWS Device Manager (Control Panel ->Switch to Classic View -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager) and noticed a RIM Network Device with a yellow icon wich means it was missing drivers. Right-Clicked it and chose UNINSTALL. I did the same in the upper part of the list wher it says Blackberry->Blackberry Smartphone. (By the way you can do this with confidence on any windows system with any device. The drivers are automatically reinstalled if they previously were installed at least at the next reboot.)
    -Unplugged my Playbook and Plugged it in again. And voila. The windows drivers were updated and the Desktop Manager connects.

-----------------------------------------

NOW let me say I hate RIM with all my heart, since my story actually beginns with after updating to 2.0.1.358 my Desktop Manager did not recognize my tablet, but offered to RE-update my tablet I took the bait and well IT ACTUALLY DID A SECURITY WIPE before trying to fix something there was not to fix. Now I have a baby-blank tablet with all my apps, docs, movies, mp3s gone.I AM SELLING this white sheit of paper. Just wanted to make sure it is not broken. Enjoy yours, and never do a OS update via Desktop Manager. Might go really ugly wrong.
    04-26-12 08:27 PM

, and never do a OS update via Desktop Manager. Might go really ugly wrong.
    I upgraded to the latest OS via wifi and ended up with the same problem. Now running with the temp fix and unable to take backup of my tablet using DM.
    05-07-12 02:42 AM
    Try this: Plug the PlayBook into the PC, then go to storage and sharing options on your PlayBook and choose "Connect to Windows" (or mac if u use one). Then in a few seconds it should recognize your PB
    05-07-12 03:51 AM
    I tried all the solutions proposed - including mapping a network drive of the USB and Wifi to transfer my PB data (pictures etc) - in the end - after weeks of waiting for RIM to come up with a fix - I did a clean sweep - reinstalled everything Blackberry on PC - and security wipe out on the Playbook itself... I finally have the new OS 2 - and the bundle 2.0.1.358 installed AND communicating with Desktop manager. Until the next upgrade...
    05-22-12 02:20 PM
    That was really easy fix thanks
    11-21-12 09:16 PM
    Thanks bmradux for making me think through this issue. I have had similar problems since upgrading to 2.1 bundle 1088. My PC is Win 7 and I have just completed a clean install of the latest DM release 7.1.0.37. In looking over the image post from bmradux, I felt the resolution had to be a simple basic problem as too many seem to have the connection issue across multiple Windows versions. Rather than delete and reinstall both of the sections in the image, I started with the top Smartphone section and simple checked for update driver. That showed the most current driver was installed. When I went to the network adapter and did the same, it pushed a new driver update. I then opened DM and it immediately connected and allowed the full backup & synch functions under a USB connection. I hope this helps resolve issues for others.
    12-15-12 12:22 PM
    You are lucky, after i did a wifi update, charged my PB and the following morning, it just flashes red. One blink, three blinks, repeat. Cannot wipe, or reload or anything as the PC does not even acknowlege it when i plug in.
    10-15-13 03:03 AM
    You are lucky, after i did a wifi update, charged my PB and the following morning, it just flashes red. One blink, three blinks, repeat. Cannot wipe, or reload or anything as the PC does not even acknowlege it when i plug in.
    Try turning off the PB by holding the power button. Do not reboot. Then try

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    10-15-13 01:30 PM
    Try turning off the PB by holding the power button. Do not reboot. Then try

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    Tried the lot over the last few weeks. Called support today out of frustration and have to say i am impressed so far with their service. they are taking it back for repair as the software is corrupt apparently and it is not user fixable.....
    FF22 likes this.
    10-15-13 03:31 PM
    Tried the lot over the last few weeks. Called support today out of frustration and have to say i am impressed so far with their service. they are taking it back for repair as the software is corrupt apparently and it is not user fixable.....
    Can I asked how old is your Playbook? Still within one year? And good luck with the repair - in the US, it usually goes pretty fast.
    10-15-13 09:24 PM
    Can I asked how old is your Playbook? Still within one year? And good luck with the repair - in the US, it usually goes pretty fast.
    Well, that's why I'm impressed. It is over a year, maybe even over 18 months. Said its a warranty job, unless there is obvious user damage. The box gets picked up in the next few days to go to repair shop.
    10-16-13 02:26 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD