I have not charged my PlayBook for about 6 months and now it looks it has trouble charging. It has been on the charger for about an hour, but still indicates 0 % of charge and if I remove the plug, it switches off. Has this happened to anyone?

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 08:47 AM
    Lithium Batteries do not like being discharged, and the longer they are discharged, the less likely you will be able to "recover" it.

They have a few disadvantages:
    - They start degrading as soon as they leave the factory. They will only last two or three years from the date of manufacture whether you use them or not.
    - They are extremely sensitive to high temperatures. Heat causes lithium-ion battery packs to degrade much faster than they normally would.
    - If you completely discharge a lithium-ion battery, it is ruined.
    - A lithium-ion battery pack must have an on-board computer to manage the battery. This makes them even more expensive than they already are.
    - There is a small chance that, if a lithium-ion battery pack fails, it will burst into flame.

Leave it on charge overnight and see what happens. You can find new batteries on ebay.... but it might be better to invest that money in a tablet that is more than a video player.
    kbz1960 and igor10000 like this.
    01-03-14 09:07 AM
    Lithium Batteries do not like being discharged, and the longer they are discharged, the less likely you will be able to "recover" it.

- They start degrading as soon as they leave the factory. They will only last two or three years from the date of manufacture whether you use them or not.
    - They are extremely sensitive to high temperatures. Heat causes lithium-ion battery packs to degrade much faster than they normally would.
    - A lithium-ion battery pack must have an on-board computer to manage the battery. This makes them even more expensive than they already are.
    - There is a small chance that, if a lithium-ion battery pack fails, it will burst into flame.

Leave it on charge overnight and see what happens. You can find new batteries on ebay.... but it might be better to invest that money in a tablet that is more than a video player.
    do a stack charge,,, plug the playbook into a surge protector,,, flip the power button on the protector for 2mins, off for 1 min,,, do this until it starts to take a charge...
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-03-14 09:13 AM
    You can also try stack charging. Use a power strip with a button. Plug into the pb. Turn the strip on for 2 minutes and then off for 1 and keep repeating. I'm going by a bad memory so if search for stack charging you may find a little difference in the times.
    01-03-14 09:15 AM
    You can also try stack charging. Use a power strip with a button. Plug into the pb. Turn the strip on for 2 minutes and then off for 1 and keep repeating. I'm going by a bad memory so if search for stack charging you may find a little difference in the times.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^***psssttt!!! kbz,,, yeah, you,,, look above you...***^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    01-03-14 09:21 AM
    Well, it did boot up and everything first, but the charge indicator on the screen just kept indicating zero. Then I tried a way I found in the forums: hold the power button for 20 seconds and then connect the charger. Now it does not boot up. The green light blinks, if I press the power button, the red battery with charge flash appears, but the boot up does not happen. :-D

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 09:46 AM

Hmm, will leave it on charger as you say, let's see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 09:46 AM
    Ha, just booted up again, still zero %. Let's see if the battery wakes up at all if left on charger till tomorrow. Thank you guys for such a prompt response, have a good weekend!

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 09:52 AM
    Don't mess with it and let it charge. LOL. Every time you try to boot it, you lose any charge you have accumulated. I bet if you use the rapid charger you would be OK.
    FF22 and kbz1960 like this.
    01-03-14 10:43 AM
    Ha, just booted up again, still zero %. Let's see if the battery wakes up at all if left on charger till tomorrow. Thank you guys for such a prompt response, have a good weekend!

Posted via CB10
    you're probably gonna have to stack charge it if it's not taking a charge they way you're doing it now...
    01-03-14 02:41 PM
    As Gilbert Grape, ahem, Gooseberry said - do NOT keep starting it up again. A boot takes a lot of power and you keep depleting the battery. Just try being patient and leave it overnight. Report back after a good 8 hours of charging and leaving it alone.
    01-03-14 06:49 PM
    Sooo, the PlayBook woke up successfully and it looks the battery holds pretty decently after such a long sleep, looks like another win of mind over matter

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR and kbz1960 like this.
    01-04-14 01:56 AM
    The green flashing was indicator for charging procedure coming from zero... So leave it a whole night charging, coz battery needs to settle up first (condensing system) befor "overloading" to be an energy source... glad you did it... anyhow... so now, advice: when the charging sign is yellow (20%) then charge to full (100%) without interruption. Better do not use the device coz from 20% to 10% it is "reserve". If under 10%, better put into charger over night (with over loading, I mean, even if 100% still let the device charging)... and another thing, if 10% or under "absolutely do not use device" but charge it!
    If device turns off, because 0%, then, put it charging over night, you'll see the from you described green light, so you know "your device lives"... and then re do turning on, keep charging, turn off and on again, but you always did it :-)
    So in future: 20% is the best moment to put into the charger!
    Cheers!

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany
    01-04-14 02:36 AM
    & just fyi,,, you never have to really turn it off unless you're doing a restart,,, just put it in standby,,, i restart mine once every week or 2...
    01-04-14 10:08 AM
    Dude don't bother with stack charging. Biggest waste of time ever. I had the same issue and the main problem with stacking is u never know what the voltage level is the batteries.
    Easiest and fastest way to fix it is remove the back of the playbook and boost the batteries directly. You'll be up and running in 15 minutes at which point you can charge the batteries normally. I speak from recent experience
    01-05-14 11:25 PM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^***psssttt!!! kbz,,, yeah, you,,, look above you...***^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Lol yep. I was typing as you posted
    01-06-14 06:23 AM
    I just forgot how I like the PlayBook, would really love to see BB10 on it. Or at least the BB10 browser and then open Dalvik VM.
    01-06-14 02:20 PM