I have read other threads on this subject, though I may have missed a few, but I want to tell you what happened to me and if anyone has a fix for this. My playbook had 35% battery when I plugged it into the charger overnight. I have never had a problem since I got the PB in March 2012. The next morning I unplugged it, popped it into the purse and zipped to the city. When I turned on the PB it was still at 35% battery, kinda floored me cause it always charged fully before. Five hours later it was at 23% (didn't use it much) and plugged it in again (with the wall plugin that I received with the PB). The battery continued to go down. I tried all the different methods suggested on CB and at Blackberry.com, as well as others online. Nothing worked. My battery is dead, turning it on gives me one red flash and five yellow flashes. Oh, trying to connect it to the desktop manager doesn't work either. Any suggestions?? Its still plugged into the wall plugin.
    victorshikhman likes this.
    06-16-12 01:12 PM
    You can try a series of steps or try them again.

But first a question: Did you see it go down to or approach zero charge or did it just not turn on again?

You can try the restart methods, followed by the stack charging but you might also see if you can find another charger as that could be the problem

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

-----------

Locked, bricked

I was told about "stack" charging, 6 cycles of charge no charge, for 2 minutes each, charging for never more than 2 minutes.

Plug the PB in with the factory charging cable (red light comes on for a several seconds, then goes off). Wait about 10 more seconds. Unplug PB for about 30 seconds.

Repeat n times.

n == 6 for me. Finally my PB light switched to green, then began to oscillate, signalling charging. After a few more minutes my PB came back to life.

You might want to UNplug/Replug at the wall/socket end to avoid using or damaging the weaker usb port on the pb itself.

Just talked to tech support, because i'm impatient sometimes. Here is the initial process they gave me to try.

Plug in the charger for 2 mins, unplug for 10 sec -> Repeat 6 to 8 times

Then while unplugged perform the Hard reset (POWER, VOL + and - at the same time) . **When the red light comes on PLUG IN THE CHARGER**

The playbook is supposed to then start charging/boot.

Some have now found a shorter sequence works:

Oh man I fixed it. I stack charged it! But not for 2 minutes.

Every time my PB red signal goes off I removed the connection from the wall charger and placed it back within a second. I repeated it for almost 25-30 times and all in the sudden a big charger button showed up on the screen and a green light on the charging LED. I left th e power connection for 2 more hrs and started using it.

------------

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    06-16-12 01:51 PM
    Before trying the excellent info in F2's post, make sure the charger works. If you had it plugged in overnight it should have been charged in the morning.
    Do you have any other devices that use the same micro USB port? A blackberry phone for instance.
    06-16-12 01:56 PM
    Have been cycling or stacking my playbook for 20mins now. Was getting nothing.... now I'm getting a symbol telling me to charge my playbook!! WTH?!!

Still no green light!!

I AM SO PISSED!!!
    06-16-12 08:51 PM
    And then what?
    06-16-12 09:53 PM
    Hopefully it's not a dead charger that is still under warranty. I started the RMA process
    May 19th and still don't have the replacement or even the tracking number yet
    06-16-12 10:29 PM
    Hopefully it's not a dead charger that is still under warranty. I started the RMA process
    May 19th and still don't have the replacement or even the tracking number yet
    Oh damn..

I just started the RMA a few mins ago. They said 7-10 days turn around. Why is yours taking so long? I thought if they couldn't fix, they just sent a new one??

Anyway.... I am SOOOOOO dissapointed.... This is the first piece of technology that I've EVER had to return! I am utterly shocked!..... still can't believe that I will have to be without my playbook for about 2 weeks.
    06-16-12 10:44 PM
    I forgot to mention that when I try to start the PB now all it does is one long red flash and five short yellow flashes.

My wall plugin works because it charged my blackberry curve.

I'm ticked that the PB would not charge when I plugged it in at 23% battery life.
    06-16-12 10:48 PM
    I forgot to mention that when I try to start the PB now all it does is one long red flash and five short yellow flashes.

My wall plugin works because it charged my blackberry curve.

I'm ticked that the PB would not charge when I plugged it in at 23% battery life.
    When mine started acting up, I was at 43% batt life.

I don't think the charge has anything to do with it. I think its a software issue OR a dead battery, which would be very upsetting as I've had mine for 9 months.
    06-16-12 10:57 PM
    My playbook is charging... after talking to two support people, they sent me to RMA and Jonathan, the young guy I talked to, told me that over time, if people are not careful when they unplug their BP, the usb slot on the playbook gets misaligned. Look into the usb slot on the playbook, the flat line of contacts should near the bottom. Mine were near the top so when I plugged in the charger last Thursday, it was upside down. DOH ! ! ! I never really paid attention to how I was plugging it in, what symbol was at the top of the plug-in. Anyway, I just used a flat thin object to gently push the contacts down and the charger plugged in the correct way and my baby is charging as we speak. RMA Jonathan did say if it happens again, I'd have to send it in for repairs. I am elated, easy fix and I will be paying closer attention to what I'm doing with my charger. Thank you RMA Jonathan
    06-17-12 11:54 AM
    Thanks for the update Oma. It's not that uncommon for folks to plug it upside down. I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Get a rapid charger. It uses that magnetic 3 pin port. With the rapid charger and wifi file transfer I don't use the USB port very often.
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-17-12 12:02 PM
    And that is why I use the Rapid Charger with the magnetic end. It's well worth the money. You can find them a little less expensive on eBay... BNIB.

It also saves on the USB port for just backups.
    06-17-12 12:02 PM
    Your remedy of stack charging (never heard of it before) saved my friend's Playbook from being skipped across the Atlantic Ocean like a pebble. Crackberry forums rock. Thanks.

Just a question: why is stack charging necessary? Is it a defect in the battery? A consequence of improper use/charging? Does it mean anything for battery life going forward?

You can try a series of steps or try them again.

But first a question: Did you see it go down to or approach zero charge or did it just not turn on again?

You can try the restart methods, followed by the stack charging but you might also see if you can find another charger as that could be the problem

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

-----------

Locked, bricked

I was told about "stack" charging, 6 cycles of charge no charge, for 2 minutes each, charging for never more than 2 minutes.

Plug the PB in with the factory charging cable (red light comes on for a several seconds, then goes off). Wait about 10 more seconds. Unplug PB for about 30 seconds.

Repeat n times.

n == 6 for me. Finally my PB light switched to green, then began to oscillate, signalling charging. After a few more minutes my PB came back to life.

You might want to UNplug/Replug at the wall/socket end to avoid using or damaging the weaker usb port on the pb itself.

Just talked to tech support, because i'm impatient sometimes. Here is the initial process they gave me to try.

Plug in the charger for 2 mins, unplug for 10 sec -> Repeat 6 to 8 times

Then while unplugged perform the Hard reset (POWER, VOL + and - at the same time) . **When the red light comes on PLUG IN THE CHARGER**

The playbook is supposed to then start charging/boot.

Some have now found a shorter sequence works:

Oh man I fixed it. I stack charged it! But not for 2 minutes.

Every time my PB red signal goes off I removed the connection from the wall charger and placed it back within a second. I repeated it for almost 25-30 times and all in the sudden a big charger button showed up on the screen and a green light on the charging LED. I left th e power connection for 2 more hrs and started using it.

------------

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    06-17-12 04:19 PM
    Have been cycling or stacking my playbook for 20mins now. Was getting nothing.... now I'm getting a symbol telling me to charge my playbook!! WTH?!!

Still no green light!!

I AM SO PISSED!!!
    @KoolWater

The symbol telling you to charge your playbook is a good sign! All you had to do was continue stack charging for another few times. Yes, it works! I just fixed my friend's playbook with your exact symptoms, except that his was completely discharged for weeks. I was so happy to finally see that "charge your playbook" symbol, because that was the first visible thing I saw on his playbook in a day of working on it. I kept stack charging. Soon after, the playbook powered up. After the playbook powered up, the battery continued to refuse to hold a charge, so I continued stack charging (unplugged usb, waited 30 seconds, replugged, waited for the red light, followed by green strobes, unplugged, etc.) and it worked! The battery is now up to 95% and going, holding the charge, no problems. Me thinks you quit too early.
    KOOLWATER and ast_ph like this.
    06-17-12 04:26 PM
    @KoolWater

The symbol telling you to charge your playbook is a good sign! All you had to do was continue stack charging for another few times. Yes, it works! I just fixed my friend's playbook with your exact symptoms, except that his was completely discharged for weeks. I was so happy to finally see that "charge your playbook" symbol, because that was the first visible thing I saw on his playbook in a day of working on it. I kept stack charging. Soon after, the playbook powered up. After the playbook powered up, the battery continued to refuse to hold a charge, so I continued stack charging (unplugged usb, waited 30 seconds, replugged, waited for the red light, followed by green strobes, unplugged, etc.) and it worked! The battery is now up to 95% and going, holding the charge, no problems. Me thinks you quit too early.
    Well I'll be... You're right!!!! PlayBook is now fully charged! Wow..... so what should I do with the RMA? I'm gonna check to see if it is still not being recognized by my pc. If so, I'll just call rim and have them call off the dogs. Thanks!!!!!!!!!
    ast_ph likes this.
    06-17-12 04:42 PM
    So I'm getting a rapid charger RIGHT NOW....
    06-17-12 04:45 PM
    Well worth the money!!
    06-17-12 04:53 PM
    Your remedy of stack charging (never heard of it before) saved my friend's Playbook from being skipped across the Atlantic Ocean like a pebble. Crackberry forums rock. Thanks.

Just a question: why is stack charging necessary? Is it a defect in the battery? A consequence of improper use/charging? Does it mean anything for battery life going forward?
    A part of the OS needs to be running in order to monitor battery charging. When the battery falls below a preset level everything shuts down. It seems when you first plug in the battery will accept a charge for a short period of time. By plugging and un-plugging your increasing the battery charge a little at a time.
    And easy fix would be for RIM to up the shut off voltage but that would decrease battery life.
    It means nothing when it comes to the longevity of the battery. Dead isn't really dead, it's just below the voltage the OS wants.

May I ask which method of "stack charging"you used?
    Last edited by Chaddface; 06-17-12 at 05:12 PM.
    ast_ph and victorshikhman like this.
    06-17-12 05:10 PM
    A part of the OS needs to be running in order to monitor battery charging. When the battery falls below a preset level everything shuts down. It seems when you first plug in the battery will accept a charge for a short period of time. By plugging and un-plugging your increasing the battery charge a little at a time.
    And easy fix would be for RIM to up the shut off voltage but that would decrease battery life.
    It means nothing when it comes to the longevity of the battery. Dead isn't really dead, it's just below the voltage the OS wants.

May I ask which method of "stack charging"you used?
    I'm not sure how many methods there are. I basically followed F2's instructions as best I could. The playbook had been discharged for about a month as the owner had pretty much given up on it. I had tried to charge it several times in the past, and saw the red light, but beyond that did not see anything on the screen.

It took about half an hour. I plugged the charger in, waited for the red light to come on... it lasted about 5 seconds, then it would go off. I then waited another 10 seconds and unplugged the charger, waited 10-20 seconds, then replugged, waited for red light, waited for red light to go off, waited 10 seconds, unplugged, waited 10-20 seconds, replugged, etc.

Within 5 minutes of cycling like this I got the reddish "your battery needs charging" symbol on the screen. At that point I just kept the charger in and the playbook started up. However, I checked it half an hour later and saw that the battery was not holding any charge. It had been plugged in for half an hour but was still at 0%. I unplugged and started cycling again. At this point after the red light, the green strobe would come on, but it took another 10 more minutes of this cycling, about 3 more times of restarting the playbook, before the battery started charging up.

It's now at 100%. Crackberry forums are awesome. I would never have thought to try something like this, and I'm not a tech noob, but this has simply never come up for me before. Even searching "stack charging" brings up almost nothing online.
    06-17-12 05:20 PM
    Someone suggested putting your charger on a switch so you don't have to continually plug and unplug. Also to switch off when the red light changes to green then switch back on after thirty seconds repeating fifteen or twenty times before allowing it to stay on.The theory is that the green light signifies an attempt to start the PB but the battery needs to be built up before this should be allowed. Also be sure the contacts are good. The round barreled charger can come apart and may need to be twisted before use. Also if the circuitry inside the unit or the associated software are screwed up and tell the device that voltage is too low there would seem to be no way to operate regardless of battery charge. Would appreciate any correction or elaborations because even tho my battery seems OK now what next.
    06-17-12 05:25 PM
    Thanks Victor, you answered my question. It seems they way you did it works better then the 2 minutes on 2 minutes off.
    06-17-12 05:39 PM
    If you see a green pulsing LED the PB is off and charging. It will turn solid green when it is fully charged but still turned off.
    06-17-12 05:42 PM
    There was a recent thread on the concept of Stack Charging. And I'll probably mis-state it. Something to the effect that the cpu (brains) does not have sufficient power to recognize the charge/battery and the battery does not accept a charge without the cpu but eventually you pump tiny bits of power into the battery but it needs the cpu to keep charging but the in/out slowly puts enough separate bits of power in and it finally triggers the cpu.

That's as simplistic a discussion of this as I can muster (I need power put in after a bike ride!)....
    06-17-12 06:25 PM
    It's like using Defibrillation on your heart... short spurts of electrical power, to get things working again.
    06-17-12 06:39 PM
    Same thing happened to me. But it was the charger the original charger that came with the playbook stopped working (even in my moms playbook). When I called support they sent me a rapid charger free of charge but that stopped working after a week (again even in my mothers playbook). And even though they said 1 per household they sent another rapid charger which still works! Good customer service.
    06-17-12 10:02 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD