03-31-14 07:11 PM
54 123
tools
    So the issue is that amazon is blocking the pb?

I guess they don't care if bb users get apps there but don't try to watch the movies you bought?
    dphjeff and Carl Estes like this.
    12-16-13 09:36 AM
    Looks like a useless canned answer. If Sarah is a real person then she probably doesn't know anything useful and the people working there who know the real reason for the sudden blocking don't bother taking their time to come off their pedestals to actually address customers.

I would say that they are trying to pressure customers to purchase a Kindle Fire, seeing as they did also block androids too and not just BlackBerry devices. Very underhanded of them.

Posted via CB10
    exactly what i was thinking...
    12-16-13 06:47 PM
    But playbooks aren't blocked if you use the origami browser and set it to kindle/chrome... Another user posted this earlier in this thread and it works great!
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-16-13 09:00 PM
    All of the people overreacting here is hilarious. Many sites block unauthorized browsers for streaming video. Playbook browsers such as Origami or Fast Browser allow you to set a custom user agent, which tells the server that you are watching the video from, say, a Google Chrome browser on a desktop.

I watch Amazon Instant all the time, and the funny part is that it is unsupported on Android tablets.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    mh1983 and Carl Estes like this.
    12-17-13 08:05 AM
    All of the people overreacting here is hilarious. Many sites block unauthorized browsers for streaming video. Playbook browsers such as Origami or Fast Browser allow you to set a custom user agent, which tells the server that you are watching the video from, say, a Google Chrome browser on a desktop.

I watch Amazon Instant all the time, and the funny part is that it is unsupported on Android tablets.

I don't believe people are over reacting. Its just that companies pushing off there are no other OS's out there, other than Apple and Android. We shouldn't have to be stuck in those OS's because thats what they deem best. Having to work around things in order to get our BlackBerry devices to work is BS. I understand this isn't much of a work around but the fact remains it will get worse before it gets better.
    Carl Estes and 00stryder like this.
    12-17-13 08:43 AM
    Amazon told me the only mobile devices they are currently supporting is ios and Kindle. They do not support BlackBerry or Android mobile devices at this time and don't know how I was watching Prime Videos on my BlackBerry devices. It does work using the Origami Browser on desktop mode.
    This is the standard answer they give when asked about the app. It's Amazon's script.

Amazon only makes an app for Kindle and iDevices.

No conspiracy. It can't be watched from mobile Safari either AFAIK.
    12-17-13 09:23 AM

Because Amazon blocking everything but Kindles and iPads right during the peak of the holiday shopping season has absolutely no relation to how hard they have been trying to get people to purchase their own tablet lately. I would imagine they left the iPads on the list of allowed tablets just to avoid pissing off Apple.

Sure you can spoof the user agent if you know what one is. I would wager a majority of their customers are not smart enough to do so, having done enough tech support to know how inept the average American (or Canadian, having worked for Bell) consumer actually is.

The idea is that enough users will become frustrated, accept the canned answer from the employee because they are the "expert", and then they will fork over the money for a replacement tablet they don't need.

Having worked for Apple before I can tell you for a fact that companies lie to the average consumer all the time about why features are locked out that technically work just fine if you switch them on just to get a few hundred dollars more out of a customer. We were told to do exactly as the lady mentioned earlier did. Read off a canned answer and if the customer did not accept it, just play the part of a dumb script reading drone when called on it and hope they go away.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 11:26 AM
    So I finally set origami to desktop mode and user agent nexus 7 and firefox. Once your in the episode or movie it also tells you to install silverlight, but down to the right use adobe flash instead. Works after multiple tries.
    12-17-13 10:37 PM
    So I finally set origami to desktop mode and user agent nexus 7 and firefox. Once your in the episode or movie it also tells you to install silverlight, but down to the right use adobe flash instead. Works after multiple tries.
    Never seen the "silverlight" notice, but Origami works just fine thank you. Just turn off Booster mode, be in Desktop mode and all will work fine.
    Make sure you set that config. as "Defaul"t and you will be happy, happy, happy...

c
    mh1983 and drkknyt98 like this.
    12-18-13 10:04 AM
    Just found out myself the hard way.

A nasty message pops up reminding me the playbook is slipping further and further into irrelevance, stating "device not supported/get a kindle fire or ipad you loser".

Sad. Another feature I enjoyed is now gone.
    12-19-13 04:43 AM
    Sooner or later they will not work as the flash player will be too old and good luck with an update for it.
    It's a race between html 5 and flash. Maybe at some point old flash versions will be less compatible but at the same rate more and more web sites won't be using flash either. At the moment I don't think flash is getting any improvemments on any platform. Adobe are just bringing out security updates to existing builds and would rather it died so they can stop supporting it.

Deals often do get struck between business to solely bring out certain things on certain platforms. You only have to look at sky and how come there is as yet no catch up player on the playstation.
    12-22-13 07:42 PM
    I cannot get HBOGo to start playing either. Quite annoyed.

My PB has literally turned into a paper weight. I dont even use it for couch browsing anymore. I'd rather use my smaller 4.5" phone simply because it is so much faster and it actually works. It's quite sad.

If anyone wants to buy a PB with a cracked screen (works fine though), let me know. lol
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-23-13 01:08 PM
    It's a race between html 5 and flash. Maybe at some point old flash versions will be less compatible but at the same rate more and more web sites won't be using flash either. At the moment I don't think flash is getting any improvemments on any platform. Adobe are just bringing out security updates to existing builds and would rather it died so they can stop supporting it.

Deals often do get struck between business to solely bring out certain things on certain platforms. You only have to look at sky and how come there is as yet no catch up player on the playstation.
    I heard all of that 3 years ago when the pb came out? What is different or has changed yet?
    12-23-13 01:21 PM
    I heard all of that 3 years ago when the pb came out? What is different or has changed yet?
    Edit: yes adobe doesn't update the pb or bb10 player. That is up to BBRY to do.
    12-23-13 01:22 PM
    With adobe not developing flash there shouldn't really be compatibility issues as such for third parties. If your device could play flash before it will in the future because nothing major has changed. The small releases we see are just security fixes to that build. If blackberry found a potential threat to them they would have to bring out a fix but if not there'd little point in making major changes.
    A lot of websites we use daily have already started making the switch we just don't know because basically they looked the same.
    Some browsers on the pc will warn you your versions outdated buy won't stop you using it. In my case being a Linux user I get warned by fire fox but there is no update. Linux stopped being supported about a year or so ago. Still works though.
    Most tablets don't support it at all which was the PlayBook selling point.
    Flash is. Buggy, uses lots of resources and a dream to hackers. The quicker it goes the better.
    Regardless, while me make the transition between html5 your playbook will run flash and unless BlackBerry are forced into it by a known hack that is using flash are highly unlikely to make improvements.
    It's slow going because the Internet was do dependant on flash. There was little competition so it's everywhere, for companies to change everything would cost billions in i.t costs so new pages are getting wrote in html5 and eventually flash will go.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 06:48 PM
    Origami truly saves the playbook lol.
    12-23-13 11:37 PM
    It works just fine as long as you are using the origami browser on desktop mode. This trick also works for vudu.

Thanks. I installed and ran streaming video using flash instead of MS Starlight. How do I know if I'm in desktop mode? I probably am because it worked but I want to know for sure.
    01-06-14 03:53 AM
    It works just fine as long as you are using the origami browser on desktop mode. This trick also works for vudu.

Thanks. I installed and ran streaming video using flash instead of MS Starlight. How do I know if I'm in desktop mode? I probably am because it worked but I want to know for sure.
    Top right hand setting button.
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook no longer compatible with playing Amazon Prime videos-img_00000808.png  
    01-06-14 06:55 AM
    Amazon Instant Videos also works in SimpleBrowser+ with the user agent set to Chrome. Love shopping at Amazon and buying Kindle ebooks, but getting really tired of their disdain of BB devices. We still don't have an "official" Kindle app for the PB even though it was released for BB10. Someone mentioned Origami keeping the PB relevant - so does the side-loaded Kindle app for me.
    mh1983 likes this.
    01-09-14 06:05 AM
    This will really kick you all in the nuts. Recently, an Amazon CS rep said they were coming out with an Amazon Prime Streaming App for... Windows Phone, soon. Time will tell...
    01-10-14 03:25 PM
    This will really kick you all in the nuts. Recently, an Amazon CS rep said they were coming out with an Amazon Prime Streaming App for... Windows Phone, soon. Time will tell...
    dphjeff likes this.
    01-14-14 08:24 AM
    Does anyone have this working currently. I have tried both origami and simple browser with every combination of user agent and browser mode suggested (and more besides). I either get the 'not compatible with your device' message or the request to install silverlight. If you are currently able to do this please post your browser and settings and PlayBook os version.
    Thanks
    03-30-14 03:53 AM
    Should have a link nearby that message indicating to use Flash instead.

Does anyone have this working currently. I have tried both origami and simple browser with every combination of user agent and browser mode suggested (and more besides). I either get the 'not compatible with your device' message or the request to install silverlight. If you are currently able to do this please post your browser and settings and PlayBook os version.
    Thanks

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z30-5
    03-30-14 03:56 PM
    Origami desktop mode doesn't work. It tries to download Silverlight.

No option to use Flash. Maybe this privilege is for Americans only.
    03-30-14 05:41 PM
    My settings, Nexus 7/ Chrome.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z30-5
    03-30-14 06:18 PM
54 123