Hi,
    I'm trying to tether to my Nexus S (ice cream sandwich android) from my playbook but I can't.
    I can pair both devices, but when I start configuring the tether option, after I have selected the wireless service profile and everything it says that my Nexus S was not found.
    When I try to tether to a blackberry smartphone, it works just fine.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!!
    01-10-12 11:52 AM
    It's not working with the galaxy s2 either. An update to the OS broke the tether. With luck the release of OS2 will fix this. Hang in there please.
    01-10-12 02:17 PM
    Can't you do a wifi hotspot?
    01-10-12 02:22 PM
    Can't you do a wifi hotspot?
    This is what I was going to ask. I know that some people use "tether" and "wifi hotspot" interchangeably whereas they really are two different things.
    01-10-12 02:38 PM
    weird i have the nexus s running official ics and wifi tethering works fine on my playbook
    01-10-12 02:39 PM
    I have a Nexus S 4g and have had no problems with (unofficial) ICS ROMs or GB ones. Good luck!

Judging by your steps yo took though, this doesn't appear to be what you're asking. I've tried unsuccessfully to "tether" (using Bluetooth) from any number of phones. It apparently only works with BB's. You should however be able to activate your portable hot spot and obtain WiFi connection.
    01-10-12 02:59 PM
    The bluetooth connectivity seems to depend on the carrier and not so much on the phone. At least that is what VZW told me when I tried to BT my Droid Bionic with playbook. I picked VZW off the carrier list and it just wouldn't connect. The VZW rep said they do not support it. Glad to hear if anyone else was able to BT connect an android phone to the playbook on Verizon and prove them wrong. Yeah, I'm sure it would connect via WIFI hotspot but that costs $$$ on VZW. I've USB tethered my phone to laptop and not incurred any extra chrges.
    01-11-12 11:03 AM
    Use Wifi Hot spot. There is no pioint using the bluetooth tether (at least no point that i know of)
    01-11-12 11:09 AM
    Pretty sure everyone is not understanding the word tether. Trying to use the 'tether' within the playbook will fail 99% of the time with phones NOT Blackberry OS. Tethering allows mail, bbm etc to run off of the playbook.

Those of you who have android can 'connect' (not tether) via wifi hotspot enabled on most android and ios phones. Don't feel like paying the carrier? Use PDAnet or something similar (side loaded). But be prepared to watch your battery count down by the minute. Also as a warning some carriers do monitor and will ding you if you are using it. Apple people gotta jailbreak in order to get the hotspot for free as well.

For the most part from an Iphone 4 hotspot my connection is solid but not really worth a damn outside of email and simple web browsing. Video loading crawls along
    01-11-12 11:44 AM
    By tether I actually meant tether by bluetooth. I never tried wifi hotspot, but I'm going to do that. Thanks for the tip. Somehow I had in mind that tether was more secure and I didn't even try the other one. Since it worked with the bbery phone, I thought it could be a problem with my Nexus (which has the official ICS btw).
    I'll let you know if it works as soon as I have a chance to try it.
    Cheers!
    01-11-12 11:57 AM
    Data rate from bluetooth vs wifi is crappy. Have you even sent a file over bluetooth to someone? Good god, might as well rip it to disk and mail it to them. Plus with PDAnet you can set up WPA password on it as well. So you're good to go!
    01-11-12 12:00 PM
    I guess I'm using "tether" as using your phone's data plan on another device to get on the internet. Don't really care about accessing the BB stuff. The BT connection would only be last resort as if WIFI was available that would be preferred. It would only be an emergency so don't really care about the speed. Android forums recommend PDANet, too, but I think you have to root and I don't want to at this time. Plus, I can tether fine to laptop...just not playbook.
    01-11-12 12:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD