The Playbook with the current OS no doubt performs better than many Android tablets with older operating systems. The Nexus 7 with Jelly Bean is however generally fast and smooth. There have been JB bugs which are requiring updates. With Google support ones can reasonably expect updates to come fairly fast.
    03-12-13 01:32 PM
    Sorry but there are too many threads on here to prove that your theory is incorrect. Take this thread for example.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-wipe-757166/
    Simple restart will do the trick should a process get buggy. People do tend to overreact doing hard reboots and wiping. I've got over 140 apps loaded and down to 420MB remaining memory on my 32G. Done maybe three reboots never a wipe and cleared cache a couple of times early on. It's run 24/7 for close to two years and performance is better than ever. Did have the .668 update that did a number on my contacts and my calendar is completely fubarred but that is no biggie for me as I use my phone's calendar and contacts almost exclusively. One should be aware that with each update, a change was made to the "character" of the PlayBook. A "mannerism" from, say, three updates ago is likely no longer present. I also try to stay away from android apps. I do have some that I use but do find the android apps to be fairly troublesome. Hopefully, the android VM gets a nice upgrade on PB10.

Seriously folks, if your PB gets cranky, a simple restart or two will fix things 99.99% of the time. Save the reboots and wipes for intractable problems.
    03-12-13 04:37 PM
    Playbook is two years old but it still has the best speakers around. Of course there is no antenna and you have to be online, and it sucks much battery compared to a good portable radio.

It also has a nice little hdmi port which dates back from the time when handheld devices had no dlna, which might come handy for TV sets of the same age. You have to carry your pretty hdmi cable around though.

Don't worry about the apps, you can always use the browser. Well, not offline of course, but if you are at home or at work, just close to a desktop computer, you look at the websites just as if you were using that computer close to you.

You get no updates, or delayed updates, or irrelevant updates or buggy updates, but it doesn't matter because you have QNX INSIDE !!!

All in all the playbook is better because... well because if you don't agree you're a troll. Na !
    03-12-13 05:36 PM
    Playbook is two years old but it still has the best speakers around. Of course there is no antenna and you have to be online, and it sucks much battery compared to a good portable radio.

It also has a nice little hdmi port which dates back from the time when handheld devices had no dlna, which might come handy for TV sets of the same age. You have to carry your pretty hdmi cable around though.

Don't worry about the apps, you can always use the browser. Well, not offline of course, but if you are at home or at work, just close to a desktop computer, you look at the websites just as if you were using that computer close to you.

You get no updates, or delayed updates, or irrelevant updates or buggy updates, but it doesn't matter because you have QNX INSIDE !!!

All in all the playbook is better because... well because if you don't agree you're a troll. Na !
    You lack sufficient fibre in your diet.
    03-12-13 05:45 PM
    Thanks for all the replies

I decided to purchase the 64GB PB having played with my Toshiba a little more, Chrome sync is really nice but other than that Android doesn't do much for me. Most apps I do not care for (netflix etc), so long as the browser is decent I'm fine. I really like the HDMI out too and there's ample space to store all my videos/music which was my main concern.

As for the Dolphin Browser on the PB, can you send tabs using Dolphin Connect to a Dolphin extension on a desktop?

And is it worth using Bridge? I had a BB before my iphone and do quite miss the keypad, wouldn't mind reverting back to it if it pairs well with the PB
    03-12-13 05:51 PM
    I have a 16GB PB, and have always really enjoyed it, used it almost exclusively for basic web surfing, and
    email. I bought a Nexus7 3G a couple months ago, and while there was a bit of a learning curve, my PB
    rarely sees the light of day.

The ecosystem, the features, the customization, the size, weight, screen, all just excellent, and I've really
    grown to love this lil tab.

The only feature I honestly miss, or feel is lackluster in comparison.....the speakers. "It", being a single rear
    facing mono speaker, sucks compared to the PB's stereo, front fired offering.

The HDMI would be a welcome feature, but truth be told, I never used it other than to try it when I bought it.

2 cameras......who cares, I'm not out taking pics with my tablet. The single camera is fine, but it's not as
    good as the PB's.....minor for me.

The ability to use a USB OTG cable, and hook up anything from thumb drives to my 1TB WD drive, and have
    more movies, images, songs, files than I know what to do with......great!

The functionality within the OS to save/share damn near anything, from almost any app, be it images, links, etc,
    is worlds ahead of the PB, and something I use literally every day.

I really enjoyed the PB, and the bridge function is unique and cool, wish the Nexus had it, but it's been a laggy
    and slow recently, so I got tired of it too.

If the PB ever sees a major OS update, I'll be all over it, but I didn't realize all the things I was missing until I got
    the Nexus7, and the compromises I have to live with are trumped....for my personal use anyway.
    03-12-13 06:42 PM

It's great that we can see people's posting history. Which by the way makes these comments irrelevant.
    03-12-13 07:40 PM
    IMO the answer to the OP question is very simple.
    If you NEED a particalur app(s) that the playbook does not have, then get the Nexus.
    Otherwise the Playbook is a no brainer.
    03-12-13 07:43 PM
    My nexus 7 has been awesome. Great battery life. Tons of apps. True, no rear camera but the same people who complain about big phones are complaining about no camera? Really? You take photos with a tablet? On to the actual tablet: silky smooth, swype is as pleasure to use. Did I mention tons of apps and media consumption? HBO Go, Netflix, native YouTube. Any questions about anything else let me know.
    03-12-13 08:10 PM
    Sure I take photos with the PlayBook. The camera is pretty decent (video is very good too). To wit:
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook or Nexus 7-img_00000008.jpg  
    03-12-13 10:18 PM
    True, no rear camera but the same people who complain about big phones are complaining about no camera? Really? You take photos with a tablet?
    I take both pictures and videos with my PB. The pictures are pretty darn good and the videos are terrific. Remember, your needs are not the same as someone else's. There is no perfect device for everyone. It's ok to pick the one you like the best. The fact that someone else might pick something else doesn't make your choice wrong. A lot of folks have both -- perfect solution!
    03-13-13 12:20 PM
    I have a 16GB PB, and have always really enjoyed it, used it almost exclusively for basic web surfing, and
    email. I bought a Nexus7 3G a couple months ago, and while there was a bit of a learning curve, my PB
    rarely sees the light of day.
    First off, thank you for posting a detailed response. Too many are empty and uninformative. (aka - I had PlayBook. It sucks. I got Nexus. Didn't know what I was missing. Better in every way). I've been wondering about Nexus myself, though I recently got iPad Mini. Still use both.

The only feature I honestly miss, or feel is lackluster in comparison.....the speakers. "It", being a single rear
    facing mono speaker, sucks compared to the PB's stereo, front fired offering.
    Mini is the same way. Really crappy mono speaker and a big step back.

The HDMI would be a welcome feature, but truth be told, I never used it other than to try it when I bought it.
    Fair enough. I use it a lot. If I go to my GFs house, or if I travel, we plug the PLayBook into the local TV so handy for me.

2 cameras......who cares, I'm not out taking pics with my tablet. The single camera is fine, but it's not as
    good as the PB's.....minor for me.
    Agree. I do take photos, but mostly around the house with it. Seldom head out. Have some cool HD video of a storm that I took with it though!

The ability to use a USB OTG cable, and hook up anything from thumb drives to my 1TB WD drive, and have
    more movies, images, songs, files than I know what to do with......great!
    That is cool! I'm secretly hoping BlackBerry link starts to support WiFi syncing on the PlayBook. Would be great to yank files from my computer without plugging it in. I have a 64 GB PLayBook so I have more storage than most but this would rock.

The functionality within the OS to save/share damn near anything, from almost any app, be it images, links, etc,
    is worlds ahead of the PB, and something I use literally every day.
    I like this on iOS too. Doesn't BlackBerry 10 introduce this also? Never understood the lack of a share framework on PlayBook. Was such a pain.

I really enjoyed the PB, and the bridge function is unique and cool, wish the Nexus had it, but it's been a laggy
    and slow recently, so I got tired of it too.
    A wipe help make it a lot smoother for me. Not sure why, but it definitely became a bunch quicker after.

Again - thanks for posting this! Really appreciate it.
    03-13-13 06:58 PM
    The pb is better you can access urpb without connecting to ur pc just go to run on your pc type the ip adress of ur pb and itopen I lost my wire so always use the easy wifi acess
    03-13-13 08:11 PM
    Here's a good advice... If you want to always visit this forum to check if BB10 has been already rolled out, choose the PlayBook...

Otherwise, get N7...

Posted via Z10
    So he can wait for Android 5.## instead?
    People that can't go on without BB10 on a Playbook will have the same issue no matter what device they get. You'll always be waiting for the next great OS.
    03-14-13 02:52 PM
    The pb is better you can access urpb without connecting to ur pc just go to run on your pc type the ip adress of ur pb and itopen I lost my wire so always use the easy wifi acess
    You've also lost the period key on your (ur) keyboard.
    It's just a standard micro USB cable. You can get one for $2.
    03-14-13 02:54 PM
    So he can wait for Android 5.## instead?
    People that can't go on without BB10 on a Playbook will have the same issue no matter what device they get. You'll always be waiting for the next great OS.
    Let's put this issue in a simpler scene... if a certain manufacturer of a device promise that their specific device will be upgraded to something else, their customers or those who bought those devices, will look forward to it and wait as you mentioned... it's logic to wait when someone promise something else...

Now, if a certain manufacturer will officially announce that they will no longer continue supporting their product, and still those victims, I mean users, are still waiting and whining about it, then what you are saying is true...

I still have my HTC Mini-HD that I use as my backup... when Windows announced that they will longer continue supporting Windows Mobile 6.5.3, I stop waiting for an upgrade and even stop visiting their forum... I even didn't try it to run with Android even it can... I just preserved as it is...

If BlackBerry will announce that they will no longer continue supporting the development and upgrading of PlayBook OS, we should stop waiting... will not make everyone happy, but hey, there would be no waiting guys...

Posted via Z10
    03-14-13 09:35 PM
    I got a Nexus 7 for my son's birthday. A neat device, but coming from the PlayBook, the layout of the UI has a little unorganized feel to it.
    I also was negatively impressed about the speaker compared. The PB beats the audio by 10 miles.
    It nerved me to the max that closing out the current screen doesn't seem to exit.
    But I am envious that it has Skype on it.
    03-14-13 09:37 PM
    I have read that android devices become bogged and buggy after some months and that only reinstalling the OS can temporarily restore "as new" performance. The PlayBook, at least in my experience, doesn't suffer from this with mine performing as efficiently as ever and moreso with the software updates that have dropped half a dozen or so times since its release. No doubt this is due to micro kernel of QNX vs the monolithic kernel design of android.
    To be fair, I have 2 of them and have to do security wipes on them frequently to improve performance. I don't even do much with them except web browse, but anytime there is an update, or a few months passes, I find the browser slows to a crawl and the keyboard get's gradually less responsive. The last 2 updates have caused issues with a couple of apps I sideload as well.

I like my Playbook, but I have been considering a second tablet. Does anyone have any links to actual stats on browser speeds? I constantly read on this forum how bad the browser performance is on other tablets. But I find Safari on my girlfriend's iPad to be much faster than than the Playbook browser or Simple Browser. This is not an attempt to bad mouth Playbook, I just would like to know. The main thing that's scared me off getting another tab are these reports of slow browsers. My only experiences beyond the Playbook are my iPhone, and very occasionally using my girlfriend's iPad.

One huge plus with the Playbook that was mentioned above... the speakers are actually useful on it. I use Tablet TV and watch TV shows on it, and the audio is great. From my limited experiences tying other tablets, I found the speakers to be useless on them. The HDMI out is great too when travelling, and I use it frequently. It's just the lack of some key apps I use, and the speed issues I run into that make me unhappy with it. Even if I get another tab, the Playbook will always be a great little media player though and will get use in that regard.

Thanks to the posters who have owned both and have provided some detailed reports on what they like and dislike. The Nexus's are on sale at Staples right now, and I am considering taking the plunge.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 03-20-13 at 04:45 PM.
    03-20-13 04:32 PM
    To be fair, I have 2 of them and have to do security wipes on them frequently to improve performance. I don't even do much with them except web browse, but anytime there is an update, or a few months passes, I find the browser slows to a crawl and the keyboard get's gradually less responsive. The last 2 updates have caused issues with a couple of apps I sideload as well.

I like my Playbook, but I have been considering a second tablet. Does anyone have any links to actual stats on browser speeds? I constantly read on this forum how bad the browser performance is on other tablets. But I find Safari on my girlfriend's iPad to be much faster than than the Playbook browser or Simple Browser. This is not an attempt to bad mouth Playbook, I just would like to know. The main thing that's scared me off getting another tab are these reports of slow browsers. My only experiences beyond the Playbook are my iPhone, and very occasionally using my girlfriend's iPad.

One huge plus with the Playbook that was mentioned above... the speakers are actually useful on it. I use Tablet TV and watch TV shows on it, and the audio is great. From my limited experiences tying other tablets, I found the speakers to be useless on them. The HDMI out is great too when travelling, and I use it frequently. It's just the lack of some key apps I use, and the speed issues I run into that make me unhappy with it. Even if I get another tab, the Playbook will always be a great little media player though and will get use in that regard.

Thanks to the posters who have owned both and have provided some detailed reports on what they like and dislike. The Nexus's are on sale at Staples right now, and I am considering taking the plunge.
    I do wonder whether people who habitually / regularly have problems with their PlayBooks do something with them that's in some way causative?

There does seem a certain - albeit as I see it small - proportion that seems to have similar issues. That said, I don't suffer from it, and it would appear a fair proportion don't either.

Do you have a lot of apps installed? And / or have you sideloaded a lot of apps? How much (typically) free storage do your PlayBooks run with?
    03-20-13 04:48 PM
    I do wonder whether people who habitually / regularly have problems with their PlayBooks do something with them that's in some way causative?

There does seem a certain - albeit as I see it small - proportion that seems to have similar issues. That said, I don't suffer from it, and it would appear a fair proportion don't either.

Do you have a lot of apps installed? And / or have you sideloaded a lot of apps? How much (typically) free storage do your PlayBooks run with?
    There are no issues with storage, and as I said, I mainly use the one at home for browsing and email. It's not a network issue as far as slow browsing, my network is very peppy.

I don't really have problems finding posts on here with people having similar issues. Especially the issues with the keyboard being slow and unresponsive. The ways I deal with the problem are through info I found in those threads. Most of my activity on this forum is Playbook related, so I do research my device and I have learned a lot about it. It's not a case of being ignorant to how it works. The devices perform fantastic after a security wipe. Trust me, if they ran like that all the time I wouldn't complain.

Again, I am not bashing the device, I like it. And I am not saying the problems occur for everyone. But they do occur. I love it for a lot of things. I just find it to be slow for a lot of internet related tasks unfortunately.
    03-20-13 05:00 PM
    There are no issues with storage, and as I said, I mainly use the one at home for browsing and email. It's not a network issue as far as slow browsing, my network is very peppy.

I don't really have problems finding posts on here with people having similar issues. Especially the issues with the keyboard being slow and unresponsive. The ways I deal with the problem are through info I found in those threads. Most of my activity on this forum is Playbook related, so I do research my device and I have learned a lot about it. It's not a case of being ignorant to how it works. The devices perform fantastic after a security wipe. Trust me, if they ran like that all the time I wouldn't complain.

Again, I am not bashing the device, I like it. And I am not saying the problems occur for everyone. But they do occur. I love it for a lot of things. I just find it to be slow for a lot of internet related tasks unfortunately.
    Whoah, there, cowboy - I'm not suggesting nobody else has the problem - merely that it seems to be a small minority. And I'm not accusing you of not knowing how to deal with it - I'm merely trying to tease out whether there's anything environmental about it.

I've seen posts with comments about this keyboard lag, and seen posts that relate it to certain updates. But I've never personally encountered it, and I suspect a lot others haven't either - so I was trying to understand for those people who experience it repeatedly (ie persistent, after a wipe - or should I say returns some time after a wipe, or particular updates) whether there was any other factors.

So... do you have a lot of apps installed, and / or do you have a lot / any / some sideloaded apps installed. Also, when you're experiencing this sort of keyboard lag, do you have things like bluetooth turned on, bridged or bluetooth partnered with something and also WiFi on?
    03-20-13 05:40 PM
    Whoah, there, cowboy - I'm not suggesting nobody else has the problem - merely that it seems to be a small minority. And I'm not accusing you of not knowing how to deal with it - I'm merely trying to tease out whether there's anything environmental about it.

I've seen posts with comments about this keyboard lag, and seen posts that relate it to certain updates. But I've never personally encountered it, and I suspect a lot others haven't either - so I was trying to understand for those people who experience it repeatedly (ie persistent, after a wipe - or should I say returns some time after a wipe, or particular updates) whether there was any other factors.

So... do you have a lot of apps installed, and / or do you have a lot / any / some sideloaded apps installed. Also, when you're experiencing this sort of keyboard lag, do you have things like bluetooth turned on, bridged or bluetooth partnered with something and also WiFi on?
    You are misreading the tone of the message, sorry. I am not saying YOU were implying anything. Only detailing the problem. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who aren't as helpful with their posts as you on this forum, and anytime you say anything remotely bad about a BB product you can get put through the wringer. It leads to an environment where things have to be explained in a defensive manner.

I use my Playbook for playing media, browsing, and email. I have one 2 apps sideloaded that I use frequently, Pulse, and Songza. But, when I do a security wipe, these get erased and I have run the PB for periods without these apps. Eventually, the browser and keyboard with start to slow down gradually in that scenario as well. I actually kept any side-loaded apps of it for awhile so I could see if that was affecting it. Native app wise, I play Galaxy on Fire occasionally. I have a 32 GB Playbook, with 1 GB of audio, and no more than 2 movies stored on it at a time.

I don't have bluetooth on, except when the PlayBook is sitting connected to a Bluetooth speaker. In that situation, it's playing media and I am not using it for anything else. As soon as I am done, Bluetooth is turned off (preserve battery). I don't use Bridge at all.

I have serious doubts it's hardware related because playing a game or playing media works completely fine. I only have issues withe browser being slow, and keyboard lag mainly in the browser. While I find Simple Browser to be a better browser, it's about as slow.
    03-20-13 06:29 PM
    For me I get kb lag but it's inconsistent. One day I'll have none and the next it does a lot even after rebooting, 3 finger salute etc. It is really odd.
    03-20-13 06:34 PM
    For me I get kb lag but it's inconsistent. One day I'll have none and the next it does a lot even after rebooting, 3 finger salute etc. It is really odd.
    Yes, that's another good point. Sometimes a restart or a hard reset will help. Sometimes it won't. Once it consistently stops making a difference, than is when I revert to a security wipe.
    03-20-13 06:38 PM
    Yes, that's another good point. Sometimes a restart or a hard reset will help. Sometimes it won't. Once it consistently stops making a difference, than is when I revert to a security wipe.
    Heck I don't even have to wipe for whatever reason I won't have it again and then at some point it will be back and so on.
    03-20-13 07:07 PM
50 12