I'm really stumped on which one to purchase, the PlayBook 64GB is very tempting at �100 or so from ebay but the Nexus 7 16GB is only �60 more but has no expandable storage. I have searched around and have seen mixed answers. I plan to use it for browsing and watching/streaming media (iplayer, youtube).

I actually have a Toshiba AT300SE (same specs as Nexus 7 but bigger screen). I tried to stream movies from my PC with plex and a few other apps but it was really gimmicky and half the time never recognized files or was unable to connect the server so I figured having a device with a large SSD will be easier to store movies and can take it with me wherever. I plan to sell the Toshiba as it's far too big.

The only apps I really used on my tablet were Google ones, like Chrome, Drive etc. My main gripe is lack of bookmark sync on the PlayBook, the ability to sync tabs between tablet to desktop and mobile, is this possible on the PlayBook?

I've also read that BB10 is to come for the PlayBook, will this manage to sync bookmarks somehow?

Thanks
    03-10-13 04:28 PM
    You should research the threads first as the responses you get to this thread will be rehashes of the many threads already posted dealing with the same subject. Also, I would visit a couple of Nexus and Android forums as well, so as to see the problems and pluses of the Nexus from a larger owner base. You will also see many complaints that the Nexus fanboys/PB haters here downplay but mentioned frequently in Android forums. Same goes for the PB. Research before posting saves you and others a lot of time Good luck.
    03-10-13 05:02 PM
    it sounds like the nexus will wok best for you. It will handle youtube without issue and does have the google apps and chrome with bookmark sync. My wifes nexus 7 has been great for her with no issues.

Bookmark organization on the playbook is non existent. There is no sync. The pluses is more storage and better price. Build quality is very good too.

Yes BB 10 will be coming to the PB is some form. When is the question. The best answer from BB is by the end of the year. I wouldnt count on it soon though.
    BB_Bmore, JeepBB and thereisnofood like this.
    03-10-13 05:17 PM
    They never said "END of the year" it was "later this year" from A Saunders. We have since learned that there are teams working on it currently and we possibly even caught a glimpse of BlackBerry10 running on the PlayBook.

To say it will likely be later than the end of the year is a bit much imo. Thor also stated one of the current priorities is to get the BlackBerry10 update to all PlayBook's....We wait....until then the PlayBook is still a very good device to own for what it is now and were it is going as well.
    03-10-13 05:48 PM
    While you can't technically sync bookmarks between Chrome and the Playbook,, you can in effect easily import all of your Chrome bookmarks into your Playbook. It involves simply exporting your Chrome bookmarks to an HTML file, then transferring this file to the Playbook, then opening the file with the Playbooks browser, and then bookmarking this file in the browser. All of your Chrome bookmarks will then be available in the PB's browser simply by clicking on the bookmarked HTML file, and the whole process of importing the bookmarks takes all of two minutes if you know what you're doing.
    oily73 and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    03-10-13 06:10 PM
    I have both tablets. The Nexus 7 has poor battery life, no HDMI out, no rear camera, and doesn't support flash. It is also very cheaply made.

It does nice browsing and great cribbage game.

I only paid $180 for my Nexus 7 so I kept it.

But you have to try both to see what fills your needs.

Good luck.
    d.flex and DrBoomBotz like this.
    03-10-13 09:13 PM
    I have both tablets. The Nexus 7 has poor battery life, no HDMI out, no rear camera, and doesn't support flash. It is also very cheaply made.

It does nice browsing and great cribbage game.

I only paid $180 for my Nexus 7 so I kept it.

But you have to try both to see what fills your needs.

Good luck.

I also have both Nexus 7 and PlayBook. Need 0s 10 0n playbook. I find the Nexus 7 32 gb very usable and battery life isn't that bad. I a;lso have a Ipad Mini with 4g, it works well . I have a Acer Iconia 128 SSD I5 tablet, this is a power house. I have no ideal favourite and like all for what they can do.

CrackBerry Bubba
    03-10-13 09:44 PM
    OP: Some differences in Capabilities
    Nexus7: No HDMI port. No rear camera. More limited on board storage but USB port usable for reading files stock with Media Importer app which can be used for streaming movies and music from flash drives or even external large storage drives and also can be used to read or load documents. If rooting is done material can also be transferred off the N7 to the flash drive. There are many apps with some free which allow you to mirror your computer on the N7 but having an Android device you probably know about that. Asus charging dock using pogo pins just coming on market at $40. The N7 runs the latest JellyBean which may give a much better Android experience than you had on the Toshiba.

Playbook: HDMI and implemented magnetic charger port. Rear camera which is adequate and can be used for videos. OTG capability supposedly in hardware but never implemented. Playbook can run Android apps many of which are available in BB World. Does not have Chrome but does have Dolphin and Maxthon. Biggest gripes about app lacks concern Netflix, Skype and some office apps. PB browser provides for saving tabs to the home screen where they be organized into folders or alternatively saved on the browser list. As with Win you can have more than one tab open at a time. Most people think the browser is too slow particularly since it doesn't distract you with pretty pictures or soft music while it is churning. Instead it gives you blue and white checker boarding which cause the less patient users to become irrational.

I have both and like both. I'm more comfortable with the PB because I feel that big daddy Google is following me everywhere on the N7and all his apps are reading my info. Paranoid maybe. Also like the QNX OS flow and multitasking.
    Last edited by jpash549; 03-10-13 at 10:12 PM.
    pronomad and thereisnofood like this.
    03-10-13 09:46 PM
    I have not owned a Nexus 7 but I have owned a 16Gb PlayBook and I can say categorically that it simply isn't enough storage, at least for rmy needs, which is why I upgraded it to a 64Gb jobbie. Once I put 9Gb of music on mine (barely 10% of my collection) there wasn't a whole lot left for movies or anything else. If you just want to stream music and video it may not be such an issue but one of the main reasons I bought a tablet was for those times when I do not have an internet connection (trains and aircraft, mostly).
    03-10-13 09:55 PM
    I also have both Nexus 7 and PlayBook. Need 0s 10 0n playbook. I find the Nexus 7 32 gb very usable and battery life isn't that bad. I a;lso have a Ipad Mini with 4g, it works well . I have a Acer Iconia 128 SSD I5 tablet, this is a power house. I have no ideal favourite and like all for what they can do.

CrackBerry Bubba
    My Nexus 7 is only 16GB maybe older than yours.

I have the Acer Iconia A500 which is a door stop now. LoL
    03-10-13 10:00 PM
    I can't speak as to which tablet would suit your needs better but I can tell you that I had one of the first N7s and sent it back the day after I got it; the build quality was awful! I won't go into the litany of QC issues I experienced but to top it off there was no HDMI out, no front camera, and no stereo audio. To be frank, I have never seen such a poorly put together device and I was, by far, not the only one who experienced the same or similar issues, it put me off Asus and Nexus devices for life.

But other than that it was really quite good!
    03-11-13 08:19 AM
    Confirming most answers above. I love my playbook and, as are many, am eagerly awaiting os10 update. You really need to play with both before you decide.
    I also have a Nexus 10 (runs jellybean 4.2 instead of Nexus 7 4.1??). And currently my tablet of choice for YouTube and web surfing is the Nexus.
    Not a ton of help here, I realize.. Both devices are great in their own ways - maybe you can/should wait till the os10 update is done for the playbook, then take them both for test drives before you decide.
    03-11-13 08:54 AM
    Here's a good advice... If you want to always visit this forum to check if BB10 has been already rolled out, choose the PlayBook...

Otherwise, get N7...

Posted via Z10
    brianatbb and Bakamushi like this.
    03-11-13 09:29 AM
    I have both and like both. I'm more comfortable with the PB because I feel that big daddy Google is following me everywhere on the N7and all his apps are reading my info. Paranoid maybe. Also like the QNX OS flow and multitasking.
    Totally agree. I have a 32gb Nexus 7 and a 16gb Playbook. I use the Playbook more and just like it better (mostly I like how the gesture interface works and multi-tasking and screen appearance). But there are some things that the Playbook won't do: Netflix for example. So, it depends on what is important to you. Best of all worlds, buy both. If you can't, I think most new tablet users would be happier with the Nexus 7 as long as they aren't as paranoid as some of us with the Google Big Brother looking over your shoulder all the time. (This is especially true for Android phone users). Those who love their BB phones or don't need the few things that the Playbook can't do, or who want more control over their data and privacy, would probably prefer the Playbook.
    03-11-13 09:59 AM
    I've an LTE PlayBook which my mum borrowed and a Nexus 7 - my fourth as the first three were sent back to Google due to having various problems.
    Try both in store and check out android forums as well as other BB forums.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 10:04 AM
    If you think OS10 is important, why not wait at least till the Nexux 7.7 comes out this spring/summer. It's a major upgrade to the current model. By then you may also know when/whether OS10 is coming and what it will offer. That is the real comparison for any forward-looking buyer today.
    03-11-13 10:02 PM
    I have read that android devices become bogged and buggy after some months and that only reinstalling the OS can temporarily restore "as new" performance. The PlayBook, at least in my experience, doesn't suffer from this with mine performing as efficiently as ever and moreso with the software updates that have dropped half a dozen or so times since its release. No doubt this is due to micro kernel of QNX vs the monolithic kernel design of android.
    03-12-13 03:53 AM
    I have read that android devices become bogged and buggy after some months and that only reinstalling the OS can temporarily restore "as new" performance. The PlayBook, at least in my experience, doesn't suffer from this with mine performing as efficiently as ever and moreso with the software updates that have dropped half a dozen or so times since its release. No doubt this is due to micro kernel of QNX vs the monolithic kernel design of android.
    There are some threads that appear to suggest that an occasional "full clean up" (security wipe or os reload) has helped balky units. Another thread suggests that freeing space has been known to reduce the incidence of "the video freeze" when filming video. These may be anecdotal reports but they are there.
    03-12-13 09:10 AM
    How does email management compare between the PlayBook and Nexus 7?

My PlayBook has become flaky about receiving non-Gmail emails (comcast.net) since the last update, so I've been tempted to move to a Nexus 7 since my Android phone (and even my ancient Kindle) seem to work fine.

But I'm not a big fan of the Android email apps, including the Gmail one. They work well enough on my phone, but I prefer the PlayBook's "look and feel." Just wondering if the Android email apps on the larger tablet might be a better experience than on the phone?
    03-12-13 09:20 AM
    Currently I have a N7 32GB GSM model, but I wish I had the Playbook. The PB integration with the Blackberry phone is useful and the build quality is very good. The PB is about 2 years old, but if it had 2GB of ram I would buy the 64GB model and sell my N7. A 16GB limit without an expansion card is too small. My experience with used tablets on Ebay was not worth the money savings, I'd go with Amazon and its real good return policy. If I had no tablet today I would buy a new PB 64GB.
    03-12-13 09:52 AM
    I have both a 16gb playbook and a 32gb nexus, both are great tablets. I get the same great battery life on both tablets. I use my Nexus more than the PlayBook but it mainly comes down to what apps you use daily. I have more of a Andrid ecosystem so I'm more keen on the Android platform. If BlackBerry had more of my daily apps, i'd stick with the PlayBook. you can't go wrong with both but more apps with th android os makes it more appealing for Android
    03-12-13 10:58 AM
    How does email management compare between the PlayBook and Nexus 7?

My PlayBook has become flaky about receiving non-Gmail emails (comcast.net) since the last update, so I've been tempted to move to a Nexus 7 since my Android phone (and even my ancient Kindle) seem to work fine.

But I'm not a big fan of the Android email apps, including the Gmail one. They work well enough on my phone, but I prefer the PlayBook's "look and feel." Just wondering if the Android email apps on the larger tablet might be a better experience than on the phone?
    On the Nexus 7, like other Android devices, you can use the single inbox system, or email apps, or a combination of both. I have apps for my Gmail, Yahoo mail, and have exchange and Hotmail set up on the Android mail app. It all works ok, but the Android mail app is too simple (lacking features) and the individual apps all work differently. The Gmail app, in particular is really poor, in my opinion. I don't think they are any better than on a phone (yet). I much prefer my Playbook for email where all is set up on a single application and folder. The exception is attaching files to emails, which gives you a list of every document file on your device!!!! When I need more than the Playbook email app does (not very often), I can just fire up the Playbook browser and open the desktop online applications. Honestly, I like my Nexus 7, but I'm always feeling like Android promises more than it delivers.
    03-12-13 11:56 AM
    You heard wrong, unless you're trolling
    03-12-13 12:19 PM
    You heard wrong, unless you're trolling
    It seems like a fairly common phenomenon in the android world. Just the cost of doing business on a monolithic kernel. You keep adding stuff to it and it gets slower. The solution is more processors so the bogging is less pronounced. On QNX, the micro kernel remains completely isolated so performance never changes.
    03-12-13 01:08 PM
    It seems like a fairly common phenomenon in the android world. Just the cost of doing business on a monolithic kernel. You keep adding stuff to it and it gets slower. The solution is more processors so the bogging is less pronounced. On QNX, the micro kernel remains completely isolated so performance never changes.
    Sorry but there are too many threads on here to prove that your theory is incorrect. Take this thread for example.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-wipe-757166/
    03-12-13 01:22 PM
50 12