Nexus 7= better specs and apps
    Playbook= Better OS in my opinion, bridge, better security, awesome speakers, anything else besides better specs and more apps...
    TNNurse likes this.
    07-11-12 11:22 PM
    I got excited for the Nexus 7 at first, I pre-ordered right away but that's cancelled now and I will probably pick up the PlayBook like I originally intended.

Jelly Bean looks nice, but the PlayBook OS is good too. I would love all those apps, but I think I could live without them. And the browser on the PB is really powerful.

I think the Nexus 7 got a lot of things right, but at the end of the day the PlayBook still has a rear camera and 64GB of storage. And some other neat things. For $299, that's hard to beat.
    07-11-12 11:39 PM
    Nexus 7 does not do landscape unless the app specifically requests it. I read there is no landscape in browser or homescreen. No rear camera? Really, Google? I'd expect more from. Their flagship device...
    You'd expect more from a $199 device?
    There are confirmed reports that Google probably loses money for each Nexus 7 they sell. Parts alone have been projected to cost around $180+

No idea why anyone would like to use the rear camera on a Tablet...and I have to really ask why you would honestly believe that the browser has no landscape mode. Really?!
    07-12-12 02:14 AM
    Jelly Bean looks nice, but the PlayBook OS is good too. I would love all those apps, but I think I could live without them. And the browser on the PB is really powerful.
    Chrome and Dolphin HD on the Nexus 7 are most likely more powerful than anything on the Playbook...
    07-12-12 02:15 AM
    It has flash... Otherwise a huge portion of applications wouldn't even work anymore and the entire air SDK and apis would be pointless.
    iPhone doesn't have flash yet apps built using flash professional and adobe air run just fine. Those exported and compiled apps don't need flash to run.
    07-12-12 02:18 AM
    Rear camera For �150? They aren't trying to take a massive write-off like RIM.

Nexus 7 does not do landscape unless the app specifically requests it. I read there is no landscape in browser or homescreen. No rear camera? Really, Google? I'd expect more from. Their flagship device...

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    07-12-12 02:30 AM
    rear camera is nice for some but for others useless. Most people rather use their cellphone for a camera. I think i took like 1 shot with my PB just to make sure it works and that is it. My nexus takes pretty damn good pics and I always have that in hand pretty much
    07-12-12 02:37 AM
    rear camera is nice for some but for others useless. Most people rather use their cellphone for a camera. I think i took like 1 shot with my PB just to make sure it works and that is it. My nexus takes pretty damn good pics and I always have that in hand pretty much
    Anytime I see someone taking a picture in public with a tablet I laugh to myself. My 2 year old phone takes better pics than any tablet.

Then I try to take pics with my PB at home in low light, and I cry a bit inside. The camera looks so grainy. The cameras, both front and back, have been completely useless to me on the PlayBook.

I mean, how many devices do we need to carry around that have cameras?
    07-12-12 06:59 AM
    Well, price wise & space wise Playbook. For a 8GB for a Nexus its $199, but for a 16GB Playbook its $199. For a 16GB Nexus its $249, but for a 32GB Playbook its $249. The ONLY thing it got on the PlayBook is the apps, well until BB10 comes out! Oh yeah, I forgot the playbook has a front and a back camera, the Nexus just have a front camera.

PS which ever one you're getting, make sure you buy protection. ^_^

The apps seem to be a pretty big deal to people around here.

Are people really not buying a tablet because they can't take pictures with it?
    07-12-12 07:02 AM
    I noticed the no landscape in the video. That one thing is a failure to me esp in the browser.
    07-12-12 07:04 AM
    Hard to believe, I know, but some people don't own a cell phone
    07-12-12 07:09 AM
    I never use the rear camera of my PlayBook.... until last week, when a gorgeous beautiful lady seated in front of me inside metro train while I was supposedly reading an eBook... well, it is an advantage to have something extra utility...

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    rexrim and sf49ers like this.
    07-12-12 07:15 AM
    I have been asking myself the same question the last week.

Frankly, I would love to own a PlayBook but I need skype and as I cant get it on my 9860 (and for some bizarre reason it doesn't even have a front facing camera.. but that's another thread), nexus it is.

hardware etc doesnt bother me too much as long as it runs well and the camera is good quality.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    07-12-12 07:47 AM
    Hard to believe, I know, but some people don't own a cell phone
    I've never met someone who owned a tablet but not a cell phone.
    07-12-12 07:49 AM
    I've never met someone who owned a tablet but not a cell phone.
    My sister who isn't on here or I'd say Bruce meet sis.
    brucep1 likes this.
    07-12-12 07:53 AM
    The PB does give you that nice widescreen photo look, though, that you don't get with your cellphone (or at least not with my 9810).

In any event, everything I've read here regarding Flash and landscape mode has only made things seem more confusing with respect to those things. No Flash in online videos, but Flash in third-party browsers and apps? Huh? And no landscape unless you use 10" tablet settings?
    07-12-12 09:06 AM
    Is this a different thought than BB using saying I don't need a camera, skype, games etc? After they are all told it's about choice and wouldn't you rather have that choice?
    07-12-12 09:13 AM
    I don't see the big deal about having a good camera on a tablet. I get that some people are against it, but what's the harm?

Not everyone has a smartphone, and even those that do, it's a good feature to have. Besides, this is a 7-inch tablet. Which makes it less awkward.
    07-12-12 11:37 AM
    @ tabs

unless that wasn't a joke, in which case
    07-12-12 12:57 PM
    Click to view quoted image
    @ tabs

unless that wasn't a joke, in which case Click to view quoted image
    LOL!! read the bookmarks
    07-12-12 01:19 PM
    I recently read a review in the Boston Globe of the Nexus by their tech writer, in which he claimed that there were no other 7" tablets that could do all the things the Nexus does. I sent him a polite email pointing out that the playbook does many things the Nexus can't, and his reply was along the lines of "I had forgotten about the playbook, and apparently so has everyone else". He also described RIM as a "doomed" company.
    07-12-12 01:23 PM
    I recently read a review in the Boston Globe of the Nexus by their tech writer, in which he claimed that there were no other 7" tablets that could do all the things the Nexus does. I sent him a polite email pointing out that the playbook does many things the Nexus can't, and his reply was along the lines of "I had forgotten about the playbook, and apparently so has everyone else". He also described RIM as a "doomed" company.
    Can you post the email here? I would be anxious to read the exchange.
    07-12-12 01:59 PM
    yeah. there has been a lot of similar talk going on around in the news and on blog sites; it doesn't surprise me anymore so its become easier to ignore (for a lack of a better term). Wasn't Apple in a similar situation where people were writing them off left, right and centre? ... however so was Palm ... with that said i still believe in BB10.
    07-12-12 02:11 PM
    I noticed the no landscape in the video. That one thing is a failure to me esp in the browser.
    There is no landscape view in home screen mode that doesn't affect in app orientation.

The reviewers have been commenting on how well it transitions from portrait to landscape with no lag but like other androids such as kindle fire it is designed for portrait view as best aspect whereas the playbook's best aspect is landscape.
    nextcity likes this.
    07-12-12 03:25 PM
    I don't see the big deal about having a good camera on a tablet. I get that some people are against it, but what's the harm?

Not everyone has a smartphone, and even those that do, it's a good feature to have. Besides, this is a 7-inch tablet. Which makes it less awkward.
    There is no harm but high megapixel cams add significantly to the price of bargain tablets. We must remember the playbook was not designed or sold as a bargain tablet initially. So its like trying to compare apples and oranges. The fire and the nexus 7 are bargain tablets.
    07-12-12 03:28 PM
96 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD