i have installed JB right now and flash works. dont use it often as chrome browser is awesome and doesnt use flash.
    07-10-12 10:08 PM
    07-11-12 01:39 AM
    Definitely Nexus. Playbook is old hardware for the price of a new hardware and Nexus has much more quality apps and games and very, very slick OS. (I own Playbook and three Android tablets - even the cheapest one, which cost me $100 is more useful than Playbook). I'll be selling Playbook soon (I intended to use it for developing apps for Blackberry, but I don't have time to do it and reports from fellow developers who spend months to port their games only to gain almost nothing really discouraged me).
    07-11-12 01:59 AM
    Too bad you trashed (recycled) the PB. Maybe it should have had a forensic autopsy. Any pictures for the curious?
    07-11-12 02:18 AM
    I don't think you can beat the playbooks UI. Plus I personally couldn't imagine not having hdmi out. I travel a lot for work and being able to quickly connect to a hotel room tv is amazing. Plus its a standard micro hdmi > hdmi cable unlike the ipad...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-11-12 03:19 AM
    Too bad you trashed (recycled) the PB. Maybe it should have had a forensic autopsy. Any pictures for the curious?
    nope. no pictures. i didnt think it was worth taking any
    07-11-12 06:35 AM
    Yea. I can't wait to play GTA

4.1 is supposed to be pretty solid and smooth. I haven't seen any lag on review videos... So far
    Yeah, there is more to my complaints about the UI than solid and smooth will fix. My TF300 is solid, and smooth. But it takes more time and effort to do things on it. For example. How do I wake up my TF300 I have to reach up, press a little button at the top, then I have to slide the little lock icon over to the right. 3 steps. Playbook? swipe from top to bottom. Want to change the current track playing? you gotta unlock it and press a button on the screen where as with my playbook I just hold the volume up button with no need to even swipe to unlock/wake the Playbook. It's those little things man, they make the Playbook and people are just too blind to see that.
    07-11-12 01:00 PM
    Yeah, there is more to my complaints about the UI than solid and smooth will fix. My TF300 is solid, and smooth. But it takes more time and effort to do things on it. For example. How do I wake up my TF300 I have to reach up, press a little button at the top, then I have to slide the little lock icon over to the right. 3 steps. Playbook? swipe from top to bottom. Want to change the current track playing? you gotta unlock it and press a button on the screen where as with my playbook I just hold the volume up button with no need to even swipe to unlock/wake the Playbook. It's those little things man, they make the Playbook and people are just too blind to see that.
    Those little things are very situational. People may not see me because they are never in a situation to utilize them.
    07-11-12 01:03 PM
    Those little things are very situational. People may not see me because they are never in a situation to utilize them.
    Changing music tracks is something everyone does. Unlocking the device is something everyone does. Listening to music on the devices speakers is something everyone does (Or would if their device had speakers of reasonable quality) I can go on and on.
    07-11-12 01:28 PM
    i have installed JB right now and flash works. dont use it often as chrome browser is awesome and doesnt use flash.
    What I heard (read) was slightly different -- JB doesn't support Flash to play videos online. (I thought Flash was Flash, though.) Also, JB supposedly doesn't allow one to use the home screen in landscape mode, only portrait. Pogue in the Times said this in his review of the tab last week, in case anyone thinks I'm talking out of my keester.
    07-11-12 01:30 PM
    Changing music tracks is something everyone does. Unlocking the device is something everyone does. Listening to music on the devices speakers is something everyone does (Or would if their device had speakers of reasonable quality) I can go on and on.
    You're wrong. I've never listened to music on my tablet. The smart cover auto-unlocks it. Android users can disable the lock screen as well.

Don't assume everyone uses their devices in the same way as you.
    07-11-12 01:31 PM
    Yes, there are a bunch of great things about the playbook. But there are also a lot of shortcomings for some people depending on what they want to do with it. So whether it's a 'better' option or not entirely depends on what you want to do with it. The nice UI tricks do nothing to solve the issue of some apps not being available. Fantastic hardware only goes so far if you can't do what you want to do with it.

I will try the Nexus 7. I also have no plans on getting rid of my Playbook either though. There are things I really enjoy doing on it. But, there are things I can't do it and my never be able to do on it.
    07-11-12 01:33 PM
    Ok I saw a couple people say that the Nexus 7 did not have flash, and wanted to correct this misinformation. Nexus 7 default browser app is Chrome which does not have flash, BUT, the regular Android Browser and many 3rd Party browser DO support flash and they can be downloaded and they DO work just fine on the Nexus 7. I've seen it on i/O units.
    howarmat and phoreoneone like this.
    07-11-12 02:51 PM
    You're wrong. I've never listened to music on my tablet. The smart cover auto-unlocks it. Android users can disable the lock screen as well.

Don't assume everyone uses their devices in the same way as you.
    Not everyone uses the smart cover. And even with the disabled lock screen you still have to navigate through a menu to get audio controls beyond volume settings. You can also get a widget, but again this adds additional steps to simply change a music track Vs just simply holding my volume button on the Playbook (locked or not)
    07-11-12 04:03 PM
    What I heard (read) was slightly different -- JB doesn't support Flash to play videos online. (I thought Flash was Flash, though.) Also, JB supposedly doesn't allow one to use the home screen in landscape mode, only portrait. Pogue in the Times said this in his review of the tab last week, in case anyone thinks I'm talking out of my keester.
    Jellybean has three "modes". One for phones, one for 10" tablets and one for 7" tablets. The home screen layout is a bit different on each based on the screen size. The Nexus 7 can be set to use the layout of 10" tablets, gaining the landscape home screen.
    07-11-12 04:51 PM
    Not everyone uses the smart cover. And even with the disabled lock screen you still have to navigate through a menu to get audio controls beyond volume settings. You can also get a widget, but again this adds additional steps to simply change a music track Vs just simply holding my volume button on the Playbook (locked or not)
    I think you're complaining just for the sake of complaining. Jeez, lamenting about a UI being 'messy' because you have to take one or two steps that's take all of 1-2 seconds to do to wake and unlock the tablet?

Apart from easily installing a widget on the homescreen to quickly change tracks, it'll take you mere minutes to install an app from Google Play that'll allow you change your tracks by using your volume buttons.
    07-11-12 05:58 PM
    Ouch.
    I looked around and I found out that android users will have until August 15th to install flash from the Play Store before it's removed. I also understand that flash on 4.1 devices isn't going to be supported but may be installed (although the chances of it working smoothly are slim).

I hope BB10 will support flash.

Adobe to end new Android Flash installs on August 15
    With Adobe ending development and support for mobile Flash, i am nearly 100% sure that BB10 will NOT have flash support.
    07-11-12 06:00 PM
    You're still completely missing the point. Your "benefits" are still purely situational.
    07-11-12 06:00 PM
    With Adobe ending development and support for mobile Flash, i am nearly 100% sure that BB10 will NOT have flash support.
    it will have flash still but RIM will have to do the porting over for the bb10 OS. Adobe wont be doing that for them anymore
    07-11-12 06:08 PM
    It has flash... Otherwise a huge portion of applications wouldn't even work anymore and the entire air SDK and apis would be pointless.
    07-11-12 06:12 PM
    Ok I saw a couple people say that the Nexus 7 did not have flash, and wanted to correct this misinformation. Nexus 7 default browser app is Chrome which does not have flash, BUT, the regular Android Browser and many 3rd Party browser DO support flash and they can be downloaded and they DO work just fine on the Nexus 7. I've seen it on i/O units.
    When I looked at it online when the OP was made it listed features and for flash it said no.

OK here is a quote

HOWSTUFFWORKS: How Android Tablets Work

And with no Flash player for Jelly Bean, the Nexus 7 has the same issues playing some online video as the iPad. Now that Adobe has abandoned its mobile-Flash efforts, Web developers need to drop the Flash habit already.
    http://news.discovery.com/tech/googl...w-120710.html/
    Last edited by kbz1960; 07-11-12 at 06:39 PM.
    07-11-12 06:33 PM
    The Flash Player browser plugin integrates tightly with a device�s browser and multimedia subsystems (in ways that typical apps do not), and this necessitates integration by our device ecosystem partners. To ensure that the Flash Player provides the best possible experience for users, our partner program requires certification of each Flash Player implementation. Certification includes extensive testing to ensure web content works as expected, and that the Flash Player provides a good user experience. Certified devices typically include the Flash Player pre-loaded at the factory or as part of a system update.

Devices that don�t have the Flash Player provided by the manufacturer typically are uncertified, meaning the manufacturer has not completed the certification testing requirements. In many cases users of uncertified devices have been able to download the Flash Player from the Google Play Store, and in most cases it worked. However, with Android 4.1 this is no longer going to be the case, as we have not continued developing and testing Flash Player for this new version of Android and its available browser options. There will be no certified implementations of Flash Player for Android 4.1.

Beginning August 15th we will use the configuration settings in the Google Play Store to limit continued access to Flash Player updates to only those devices that have Flash Player already installed. Devices that do not have Flash Player already installed are increasingly likely to be incompatible with Flash Player and will no longer be able to install it from the Google Play Store after August 15th.

The easiest way to ensure ongoing access to Flash Player on Android 4.0 or earlier devices is to use certified devices and ensure that the Flash Player is either pre-installed by the manufacturer or installed from Google Play Store before August 15th. If a device is upgraded from Android 4.0 to Android 4.1, the current version of Flash Player may exhibit unpredictable behavior, as it is not certified for use with Android 4.1. Future updates to Flash Player will not work. We recommend uninstalling Flash Player on devices which have been upgraded to Android 4.1.
    An Update on Flash Player and Android � Adobe AIR and Adobe Flash Player Team Blog
    07-11-12 06:42 PM
    Nexus 7 does not do landscape unless the app specifically requests it. I read there is no landscape in browser or homescreen. No rear camera? Really, Google? I'd expect more from. Their flagship device...
    07-11-12 07:59 PM
    I like playbook. It is great for me
    rexrim likes this.
    07-11-12 09:40 PM
    Well, price wise & space wise Playbook. For a 8GB for a Nexus its $199, but for a 16GB Playbook its $199. For a 16GB Nexus its $249, but for a 32GB Playbook its $249. The ONLY thing it got on the PlayBook is the apps, well until BB10 comes out! Oh yeah, I forgot the playbook has a front and a back camera, the Nexus just have a front camera.

PS which ever one you're getting, make sure you buy protection. ^_^
    Last edited by wavin; 07-11-12 at 10:51 PM.
    rexrim likes this.
    07-11-12 10:47 PM
96 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD