Greetings to all! I'm now the rather chuffed owner of a 16GB Playbook.

My Mom got a Kindle for Xmas & with all the books I downloaded I fancied reading some of them myself - but wanted something more than a reader so the hunt was on for a tablet.

I'm not normally a fan of PC World but they're good for "seeing things in the flesh" before hawking the 'net for a better deal. So off I trotted with a "do not disturb, I don't want over-priced accessories or an extended warranty" sign around my neck.

I was thinking of a Dell Streak at a sale price of 99 but I think PC World probably only has one in stock in the outer Hebrides as a hook to get people in! The Motorola & Samsung tablets look like nice bits of kit but they're over my budget.

The next thought was an Archos but seeing them in the flesh put me off. Sorry to anyone here that has one, but I thought they were clonky to use & the build quality seemed really cheap.

The Playbook is a much better bit of kit regarding spec & BUILD QUALITY - especially with a price tag of only 169!!. The only downside I could see was no memory card slot - but I'm not on the move for extended periods so no big deal for me.

Bought yesterday, upgraded last night to OS2, I've put a few Android apps on there including an email client and I'm over the moon with it. Even my better half (who isn't techy) is impressed & is happily reading a book on it this afternoon.

My only questions are about the GPS. Does anyone have any advice about the GPS functionality & are there any decent UK sat-nav apps out there. I don't mind paying for the app but would welcome your advice on which is best. What I don't want to do is pay for something & find out it's pants afterwards!
    12-29-11 10:22 AM
    Not sure about UK maps, but steer clear of Skylab maps - many dissatisfied users. Have a look at Magellan. I've heard good things, and it has a trial version, but I don't think they can go offline yet.
    12-29-11 12:25 PM
    I can't speak for the UK but magellan works well in the US. It needs a data connection(bridge, tether hotspot) for searches and map updates while driving. You get the turn by turn via text. Touching the text shows the next turn. No voice guidance.
    Screen shot below.
    12-29-11 01:16 PM
    Another user from the UK stated Magellan was excellent but you need internet access to download maps on the go (BB phone or wireless hotspot phone?) I use Magellan and it's very good.

In App World you can get one of those On-Device maps that are loaded onto your tablet.
    But they only show a detailed map of your city and it only locates you on the map.

If GPS isn't working for you, restart the pb.

The GeoRender app has beautiful maps.

If you want voiced turn-by-turn navigation get a BB phone and the BB Traffic app.
    Last edited by anthogag; 12-29-11 at 01:50 PM.
    12-29-11 01:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD