Speaking of no QC.... (rlarsen462 - I think I'm gaining on you....)

On PB #3. Finding light leak (again) was disappointing enough, but this one is displaying talents I never could have imagined.

Where the previous two often were unresponsive to taps (swipes were usually OK), this one is mostly OK to taps but either ignores swipes or, more interestingly, does the opposite of what it's told. I can be trying to scroll in a list and it will start to follow my finger up then suddenly jump back. Or it will just go in the opposite direction.

The one that really got me, though, was the orientation lock. I had it in portrait mode (at about a 25-30 degree angle off azimuth) and closed the game & went to turn it off. I tapped the power off icon & the black screen with BB logo starts to swing into the top half of the screen, but it's in landscape mode (rest of the screen is still in portrait). Then the box with the power off/restart/cancel thing comes up in portrait & rapidly flips to landscape. So I cancelled it & tried again - same thing. So, this time I go in & LOCK the orientation in portrait & repeat the process. Same thing! Only, this time, when I cancel out of it, the whole screen is in landscape and LOCKED in LANDSCAPE MODE!

WTF?

Anyone else have anything like this happen?

I've sent email to RIM about it (the tech I was working with on the other two bad PBs) and I expect to get a call tonight. I'm curious as to if there are logs that give a hint as to what's going on.

I suspect that this was a returned unit. Best Buy only had the one 32 GB on the 27th, when I got #2. Then, when I called to see if they had anything for exchange, they had, again, just ONE unit yesterday (31st).

I think I'm done with Best Buy. I don't seem to be able to get a good device out of them (even trying different stores) - not just PBs, either. And I'm really starting to dread the words "made in China" on items... Seems to be the kiss of death for devices.

I'm curious if anyone else has had orientation problems or lock problems.
    ===

This is the first time I've tried attaching files, so I hope this works & the sizes are OK. These are fairly rapid, successive screenshots of the process (hard to do screenshots in portait - requires more coordination than I have!).
    06-01-11 05:54 PM
    Hey don't look at me...I just get bad screens not demonic possession.
    06-01-11 06:20 PM
    man i replaced 3playbooks already...im so pissed at the moment. now im hearing word of a playbook 2 rim is pissing me off.3!!!!i wish they would send me a 4g and call it george...im so stressed. did u try to reinstall it???turn ur playbook off and plug in the usb...open the desktop software and you will see...update,cancel.click update and it will reinstall.i did this 10times already.
    06-01-11 06:24 PM
    Hey don't look at me...I just get bad screens not demonic possession.
    Sure, rub it in!
    06-01-11 07:28 PM
    The screen's a hardware issue. And, even if the rest is software, I'm not going to waste my time reloading it when it's going back anyway. I was just wondering why I'm a lemon magnet & if anyone has had orientation issues.
    06-01-11 07:30 PM
    It's just so aggravating to have all these issues when the device is otherwise mostly enjoyable to use. I am just really hoping they don't drop these thing like a hot potato in the manner of the Storm line...
    06-01-11 11:03 PM
    im on my 4th one..... good luck
    06-02-11 04:20 AM
    I am two for two for perfect ones (16g and 32g).
    06-02-11 06:40 AM
    HAHAHH
    I couldnt stop laughing at the title of this thread.
    06-02-11 07:45 AM
    I'm two for two....sort of. I had a devil of a time getting them to videochat nicely, pass the holy water.
    06-02-11 11:03 AM
    How about you get ME one, then?
    06-02-11 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD