I am trying to find/change the name that my pb is identified on the network ( host name). Currently mine is known as PLAYBOOK-E4D7 .

I have found reference to this name in Storage and Sharing / network identification but it doesn't appear to be using this field .

Can anyone shed some light on this ? Thanks in advance
    08-22-12 12:44 PM
    Storage and sharing.... Network identification [tablet network name]
    08-22-12 12:52 PM
    Storage and sharing.... Network identification [tablet network name]
    Doesn't appear to be using that - changed it on my pb , rebooted , deleted the dhcp leases on the router and its still picking up the old name.
    08-22-12 12:59 PM
    I think that field is only used as the device name for sharing (so you can type \\stansplaybook instead of \\192.168.0.1 etc). My playbook always reports itself to the router in the same format you're getting. Same goes for my phone as a matter of fact
    08-22-12 01:05 PM
    I agree that it's used for sharing.

I find the one that is used to identify the pb on the network a bit too descriptive and would like to change it.
    08-22-12 01:13 PM
    Yeah i think they're part of the OS and not something you can change by the looks of things
    08-22-12 01:18 PM
    Yeah i think they're part of the OS and not something you can change by the looks of things
    That wouldn't surprise me - after all rim knows what's best for us. lol. Still holding out hope that it's not the case.
    08-22-12 01:23 PM
    after all rim knows what's best for us. lol
    steady on you'll set the apple fanboys off

still looking but can't see anything in the settings to do it. Unless its some hidden quirk somewhere we could be out of luck on this one
    08-22-12 01:38 PM
    My PB shows up as Ghost or GhostBook (depending on my mood) on my network, so not sure what everyone is doing. PB is at home, so I can't answer what I did, but will update when I get home this evening.
    08-22-12 01:45 PM
    My PB shows up as Ghost or GhostBook (depending on my mood) on my network, so not sure what everyone is doing. PB is at home, so I can't answer what I did, but will update when I get home this evening.
    Devices have 2 different IDs, one is for sharing (the one you'll see under network on your PC) and one is it's actually ID on the network (that you can see from the routers logs/client list).
    08-22-12 01:58 PM
    Devices have 2 different IDs, one is for sharing (the one you'll see under network on your PC) and one is it's actually ID on the network (that you can see from the routers logs/client list).
    Yep, and most routers offer the ability to edit the device name from the router's advanced settings or LAN settings.

On a NetGear for example you would login into the router and select
    Advanced Settings>LAN setup (Or something to the effect)

Some routers use device address reservation or something to that effect.

You should have your device MAC addy and IP ready. Either editing the information of a device already listed, or adding the device and changing the Identifier as you add the device.
    08-22-12 02:19 PM
    You change the device name in DM. Click on Device options and change it to whatever you want to name it. It will then also be the Bluetooth name for the PB.
    08-22-12 02:49 PM
    You change the device name in DM. Click on Device options and change it to whatever you want to name it. It will then also be the Bluetooth name for the PB.
    That doesn't seem to be doing it . Back to the drawing board .
    08-23-12 04:56 PM
    Yep, and most routers offer the ability to edit the device name from the router's advanced settings or LAN settings.
    I think the op is more talking about not wanting to give out the device id on public networks whenever he connects (where you wouldn't have access to the router). Not sure what info it actually gives but if memory serves its DEVICE-XXXX, device being either blackberry for phones or playbook, and XXXX is the last 4 digits of your pin, it is for my phone and PlayBook at least anyway
    Last edited by Donnee; 08-23-12 at 05:28 PM.
    08-23-12 05:25 PM
    That doesn't seem to be doing it . Back to the drawing board .
    Yip, my router says that device name cannot be changed
    08-24-12 08:01 AM
    Try setting up a new device in Bridge. You can change the name of your tablet there. Does this update on the network?
    08-24-12 08:07 AM
    I don't have bridge setup but when I go into it I see that the pb name is the same as in bt (not the same as in file sharing which is what appears on the network)

Am I going to open up a can of worms if I install/configure bridge on my device ( am on 2.1)?
    Thanks
    08-24-12 08:46 AM
    Bridge is already part of the OS, try just changing the name in the Bridge menu on the Playbook to see if it changes. That name in Bridge is the same that shows when I connect to my router.
    08-24-12 08:47 AM
    I think the op is more talking about not wanting to give out the device id on public networks whenever he connects (where you wouldn't have access to the router). Not sure what info it actually gives but if memory serves its DEVICE-XXXX, device being either blackberry for phones or playbook, and XXXX is the last 4 digits of your pin, it is for my phone and PlayBook at least anyway
    Oh. Sorry, my mistake. I assumed it was like me. 3 PlayBooks and getting frustrated trying to find out which was which

Sent from the ether...
    08-24-12 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD