Thinking of giving my 12 year old an extra PlayBook. Is there anything you can do to restrict content on it?
    05-31-14 06:06 PM
    do you mean age appropriate control for websites or do you mean BBWorld limits?
    05-31-14 06:14 PM
    do you mean age appropriate control for websites or do you mean BBWorld limits?
    Anything and everything...saw an app called safe browser in the store...
    05-31-14 06:15 PM
    In case your Internet service provider does not have filtering (blocking) system for inappropriate sites and PlayBook can still access those sites, believe me, the "waiting" is so slow and terrible that anyone trying that would probably play games instead...

Posted via CB10
    05-31-14 08:54 PM
    if he is 12 and curious then nothing will stop him, sometimes it is better to acknowledge it, talk it through and maybe give him some appropriate sites he can access and have the 'I have no desire to be a grandad just yet' talk.

otherwise he can splashtop into friends computers etc.. or I understand there is a sextube app ported over which the browser won't block.
    06-02-14 02:13 AM
    In BlackBerry World: swipe down from the top > Content Settings

For browsing I don't know of a solution, but it might be one out there.

--------------------

Easy Expense Monitor for BB10 and PlayBook
    06-02-14 02:37 AM
    Anything and everything...saw an app called safe browser in the store...
    I'd give it a shot and if there's anything your Internet provider gives for controls, I know Charter Communication has a Web interface you can limit users and sites. I don't think we have anything like the Kindle control though unless it can be side loaded??

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 08:30 AM
    Thinking of giving my 12 year old an extra PlayBook. Is there anything you can do to restrict content on it?
    Yes, comes built- in with parental control and that's password protected. We gave 2 to the grandkids. We have 2 more also.

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    06-07-14 05:03 AM
    Yes, comes built- in with parental control and that's password protected. We gave 2 to the grandkids. We have 2 more also.

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    I believe the parental control you are referring to is applicable to determine the type of material that will appear on Blackberry World only. Old_Mil is also interested in controlling the type of websites that will be accessible from the PlayBook. I do not think that there is a way to exercise parental control for websites built into the PlayBook. None that I have seen anyway. External controls which may be available from the internet providers/cable companies may just do the trick though.

I did not find parental controls in the main screen's Settings and the various items which that main Settings icon allows us to control. The other settings icon is inside the native browser. You have to first open the browser, then swipe down from the top and the settings icon for the browser is on the top right. Tapping that gives us four items but none of the four choices allows us to set parental controls for website access.

I have my Blackberry World setting set to "A" for adult content and have yet to see anything in Blackberry World that I would consider obscene. I do not think Old_Mil needs to worry much at all about Blackberry World's content but that is a very subjective matter. I do not think the PlayBook contains a way for parents/grandparents to control minors' access to the types of websites which such parents/grandparents may deem inappropriate for minors. Websites are the real danger, not so much Blackberry World.

Whether or not there is an app in Blackberry World that will help in this regard, I do not know. Old_Mil, you said you saw an app called "safe browser". Perhaps you should check it out first if that is what you need.

If you do not feel comfortable with the level of protection you want to give your 12-year old with the PlayBook, consider the Kindle Fire HD.
    06-07-14 12:20 PM