02-06-12 03:18 PM
184 12345 ...
tools
    I would just like to point out that this thread is original and the information provided by the OP has certainly put a new twist to the PB argument. I thank you sir, for your wisdom and enlightenment of the playbooks short comings. These are things I didn't even think of when i was hammering away at cut the rope, and questing for a better fart app.

With your guidance i have elected to transform my 3 playbooks into artsy door stops using a combination of Playbook, flower, water and newspapers. I've also thought a "door stop/paper weight creation how to" thread will be in order. Please stay tuned.

I bid you and your future flavor of the month tablet a fond adieu. May your next screen be dead pixel free, and your fart apps, plentiful. I believe the immortal words of the benevolent Mr. Wonka should see you off, "you lose, good day sir."
    Last edited by zorecati; 01-31-12 at 09:53 AM.
    Harley Kid likes this.
    01-31-12 09:49 AM
    If you bought a Playbook assuming it would have resale value, I would love to know for whom you fly because I would like to avoid that airline. Expecting a 1 year old piece of used technology to hold value is not exactly very clever. BTW, Best Buy's trade in program is a scam designed to get you to buy something else they sell. They push other brands and that is what they will give you trade in value. Of course, that is until they get it and their evaluators then tell you it is not in good condition but fair condition and it is not worth $150 but $25 instead. Again, believing anything Best Buy tells you does not rank as the most clever thing a person could choose to do. Finally, waiting a year to launch into a rant a few weeks before the new OS is released, is again something other than the brightest thing I have seen written here....
    car45, The_Adventist and saudiben like this.
    01-31-12 09:51 AM
    This story is one of the biggest loads of crap I've read in some time. Usually when someone introduces themselves by telling you what they are; they're not. "I'm a pilot, I'm a fanboy, I'm a christian, I'm this or that" makes me turn around and say "right". WAY to many points as to not own what he owns. Next, this guy will tell us while he was flying a plane, he activated auto pilot and started spinning gold out of hay.
    john dunbar likes this.
    01-31-12 10:31 AM
    OK... I'll bite...

I have a 32G iPod touch 4th gen. I bought it for a very specific app that I use when I do my weekend car racing... Laptimer Pro that I saw another guy using on his iPhone.

It needs a gps cradle and uses the camera to record your lap and time it using the gps and a start/finish setting... Very cool integrated app. Designed for iphone and ipod touch. Happily buy it and a gps cradle designed for ipod touch.

Now the fun begins:

The gps cradle that works perfectly for the ipod touch made by Tomtom only works for ipod third generation, not fourth. Lots of back and forth on the forums, e-mails to Apple and Tomtom who initially say it should work, and later admitting it won't. Ipod third generation has no camera, which is an integrated part of the app. So, no gps in ipod touch 4th gen, no camera in ipod touch third gen. I have an ipod that won't connect to the cradle that was initially sold as fully ipod compatible. Says so on the box.

Now I have two expensive paperweights. However, it's not something I cry on the forums about. I don't need it as a music player, so I'll have to sell it. I should be able to get full price for it.
    DPSydBerry likes this.
    01-31-12 11:02 AM
    Now I understand! The OP was mad because he missed his flight home and took it out on the PB. I guess it's better than kicking the dog when he got home. It's okay though, the PB is tougher than he is. Ironic isn't it, a pilot stuck in an airport.
    01-31-12 11:03 AM
    This story is one of the biggest loads of crap I've read in some time. Usually when someone introduces themselves by telling you what they are; they're not. "I'm a pilot, I'm a fanboy, I'm a christian, I'm this or that" makes me turn around and say "right". WAY to many points as to not own what he owns. Next, this guy will tell us while he was flying a plane, he activated auto pilot and started spinning gold out of hay.
    I love how you just resort to personal attacks rather than address any of the points I posed. By the way, its a RANT hence the posting of all the points.

While i dont spin gold when the autopilot is engaged, it would be nice to be able to use my playbook for some more useful things, it would be great for example if Jeppesens Flight View or Flight Deck Suit was avilable for playbook so i could view the approach plates and enroute charts on the PB which cant be done currently. But can be done on the other tablets i dare not name here :P
    01-31-12 11:41 AM
    Some people here are getting really defensive about their device. It sounded like the OP was being reasonable in his assessment based on his own personal experience. He never said anything bad about people here in the forum, so calling him a troll or making other negative comments about him is really not fair.
    01-31-12 11:48 AM
    Funny, but my iPad is feeling like a paper weight lately. Been using my PlayBook much, much more!
    Likewise
    01-31-12 11:54 AM
    I'm currently running 1.0.8 version of the OS. Do you know what this means? Yes it has some rough spots but all are addressable via software updates. Have they been slower than we all hoped? Yes. If it is a paper weight to you then Bravo! Cheers to you!! You have the most advanced PW on the planet. Love my PW. My PW also has some very powerful space saving features. It freed up all the space that my laptop was taking up.
    01-31-12 11:57 AM
    I love how you just resort to personal attacks rather than address any of the points I posed. By the way, its a RANT hence the posting of all the points.

While i dont spin gold when the autopilot is engaged, it would be nice to be able to use my playbook for some more useful things, it would be great for example if Jeppesens Flight View or Flight Deck Suit was avilable for playbook so i could view the approach plates and enroute charts on the PB which cant be done currently. But can be done on the other tablets i dare not name here :P
    So have you contacted the people that make those wonderful pilot apps? I remember another from a pilot awhile back. Seems he used his playbook for something to do with flying.

I guess if you need specialized apps right now you are better off with those that shall not be named.
    01-31-12 12:20 PM
    Well, while OP's reaction is fair and language keeps civilized ...
    Agreed. I love my PlayBook and look forward to 2.0. I also believe 2.0 will address almost all of the OP's issues.

But I can't blame him for his complaints, either. They're all pretty valid.
    kirson, artie, OniBerry and 2 others like this.
    01-31-12 12:31 PM
    Not that I need everything the OP needs but all are valid points.

To those saying that it's Microsoft or Amazon to blame for the lack of Skype, MSN, Kindle, etc. Don't fool yourself. Apps like these do not come only based on whether there is sufficient userbase. Unless RIM reaches out and partners with Microsoft, Kindle, Netflix, etc. we will not see those apps even if another million or two of Playbooks are sold.
    01-31-12 12:40 PM
    I think you channeled Steve Jobs there. "Don't use it that way" would be a good paraphrase.
    Dont use a tablet with bridge to bridge to your BB? Makes loads of sense. Its the tablets fault it doesnt have native email/calendar even though it said it didnt have it.
    01-31-12 12:53 PM
    Just when I think we're done with threads like these, here we go again...and they all wind up the same way. To the OP, sorry you're dissatisfied with your pb, hope you can sell it to someone who likes it and get something else that makes you smile.
    01-31-12 12:55 PM

I actually don't agree with many of your initial points. They are too vague to agree with. For instance my bridge functions without flaw and is very useful as opposed to meh and glitchy at best. Whatever that even means. I would also add that if you thought blackberry phone apps would work on the new OS...I have no idea why. There were discussions of the possibility of an emulator but I never saw any promises for that.

What would netflix have gotten you in your three hour airport tirade that amazon prime or any of the other hundreds of websites that stream television and movies wouldn't have?

Anyway, I replied to this particular post because you mention other tablets having the functionality you desire. Why wouldn't you just go buy one? I've never met anyone who actually traded in old tech to Best Buy by the way. It's a great way to get ripped off, but I honestly thought everyone knew that.
    01-31-12 01:21 PM
    Just so that everyone is aware, the OP will most likely not read any of these replies. Just saying.
    DPSydBerry likes this.
    01-31-12 01:28 PM
    I'm a collector of very fine, exquisitely designed, and meticulous in build quality paper weights. That said, all my Leicas, Nikons, Colt M1911's, Rolex's, etc, all pale in comparison to the finest piece in my collection, and the most utilitarian, my PlayBook.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 01-31-12 at 01:48 PM.
    01-31-12 01:46 PM
    i too am looking forward to 2.0 but i also knew what the playbook was capable of doing when i bought it. so really if we wanted to be sure we could have waited until lt was complete before purchasing. i have no reason to complain as nobody forced me to buy it.so i figure just have patience......its not likes i bought a new car and waited a yr for tires
    Barljo likes this.
    01-31-12 01:54 PM
    I know why your mad, however the PlayBook is a baby. Do babies not need more than 1 year to grow? .
    That is the most ludicrous, cringeworthy and downright lame defence for a product I have ever read.
    vegetto_456 likes this.
    01-31-12 01:56 PM
    This thread contains nothing new at all. Why bother ? it has all been said before in one form or another. On the other hand I my just go out and buy an iPad 2 then go on an Apple forum and post how disappointed I am with my new "brick" as it won't play flash etc etc etc.But that would be pointless wouldn't it ? Stop these pointless posts please.
    01-31-12 02:17 PM
    I'm breaking my own resolution and advice by this post, but I have a reason. The OP states that he/she is ranting, not soliciting advice or comment. His/her mind is made up.

Those of you who believe this thread is baiting or trolling are best served not responding at all. Every response breathes new life into it. Your lack of response is telling in itself. Your energies are then free to assist those sincerely seeking advice or comment, helping to maintain a constructive and helpful forum.

Those that believe this thread is sincere or has a purpose, post away.

My opinion.
    01-31-12 02:35 PM
    My ipad sits and collects dust.. So does my Iphone 4 for that matter.

I love my playbook but it needs the apps that people come to expect like skype, msn etc.

I use mine for email, RDP into servers why running around the office and while at home. I use it to stream my media to while having a bath or sitting in the office chillaxing.

My ipad is too big that i don't take it anywhere.. Where as my playbook slide in my hooding or sweater with easy or i hide it in my Wives purse. Either way it comes everywhere with me.. Especially out to the cabin where we have a cell phone booster to boost the signal as its in a dead zone and i can watch the JEts games while snowmobiling.

I also have all the snowmobile tech manuals in pdf on there as well as a bunch of other manuals i may need.

WHOOT
    01-31-12 02:37 PM
    Dont use a tablet with bridge to bridge to your BB? Makes loads of sense. Its the tablets fault it doesnt have native email/calendar even though it said it didnt have it.
    When you tell the guy that his BB should be near enough to use Bridge so that native e-mail is unnecessary, it reminded me of the "don't hold it that way" Steve Jobs email. If that's a problem, well, it isn't mine.

FYI: I don't think the OP cares whose "fault" it is that any lacks certain features, probably because placing blame doesn't solve the problem.
    01-31-12 02:53 PM
    My ipad sits and collects dust.. So does my Iphone 4 for that matter.
    It seems like a high percentage of PlayBook owners also have iPads. If the reverse were also true, there probably wouldn't have been a leadership change last week. I have to wonder how TH feels about the PlayBook; had it sold well, he wouldn't have the top job.
    01-31-12 02:56 PM
    You make it sound like the PlayBook has become self-aware and is adapting to its surroundings.
    01-31-12 03:09 PM
184 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD