this one is for you:

02-01-12 06:00 PM
    Another person who made the wrong purchase decision based on "future" ability of an electronic device ... this is so old...
    Anyone willing to purchase a device without ensuring that it can do what they need it to do OUT OF THE BOX deserves what they get.
    I too want Skype and Netflix, and I did not decide to purchase the Playbook until I realized I can live without, even if they never are available for the Playbook.
    Most stores offer at least a 14 day satisfaction guarantee -- if you didn't purchase from such a store, IT'S YOUR FAULT. If you didn't realize you have a "paper weight" within that 14 days and/or decided to keep it anyways ... IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT. Grow up!!!
    blue-b likes this.
    02-01-12 06:36 PM
    Cut/copy/paste, I still don't use much. It was mature at the time because there was none like it.
    Just because a product is unique to a market does not make it mature. It makes it the only choice.

That's like saying your first born is mature because you don't have other kids
    02-01-12 06:43 PM
    Just because a product is unique to a market does not make it mature. It makes it the only choice.

That's like saying your first born is mature because you don't have other kids
    if the first born is the only one ever, yes. You see the maturity here is relative measure. by your argument nothing will ever be mature since there always be an update.
    02-01-12 08:24 PM
    Another person who made the wrong purchase decision based on "future" ability of an electronic device ... this is so old...
    Anyone willing to purchase a device without ensuring that it can do what they need it to do OUT OF THE BOX deserves what they get.
    I too want Skype and Netflix, and I did not decide to purchase the Playbook until I realized I can live without, even if they never are available for the Playbook.
    Most stores offer at least a 14 day satisfaction guarantee -- if you didn't purchase from such a store, IT'S YOUR FAULT. If you didn't realize you have a "paper weight" within that 14 days and/or decided to keep it anyways ... IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT. Grow up!!!
    The return policy is the key there isn't it? The problem with "OUT OF THE BOX" thinking is that the Playbook didn't even work the way it should "out of the box". HAHAHAHA!!!

Second best day in April of 2011 was buying the PB, followed by best day...returning it!
    02-01-12 10:47 PM
    There are days I surf, read or play games for hours on the PB. There are days when I record 2-4 hours of lectures and/or take notes on it. When I am on a trip without my laptop, my Torch and PlayBook (and WiFi) becomes my lifeline.

There are days where my PlayBook serves nothing more as an alarm clock for me. Days when I prefer to use my Torch to check my Twitter feed and Facebook instead of using the PB. Days when I have clinic and labs instead of lectures. Days I want to use my laptop. Those are the paperweight days.

Sorry to hear you're frustrated with your paperweight. But if it serves some purpose, it's not a waste of money.
    farskija likes this.
    02-01-12 11:18 PM
    Because lawyers become politicians, and politicians like to take simple things and make them difficult so that you need a lawyer to understand them.
    Then other lawyers become judges, and further complicate what the politicians did.
    Then all the lawyers, judges, and politicians overcharge you for the privilege of navigiating you through the complex maze they created out of a simple common sense event.
    They then use those fees to put their own children through law school so that the cycle can continue.
    I love that!
    Well, let me explain. I love the explaination.
    Hate the concept.

LOL, thanks for the chuckle!
    02-01-12 11:36 PM

I'm extremely upset that my Apple Airport Express won't sync to my existing WIFI network and allow all my devices access. Locked to my Apple devices and won't run other formats that are seamless on my WD Live. WtheCrap is this?!??

Also, my vendor certified Apple iPod add on device doesn't work, not just a broken promise of 'future compatibility' or 'coming in the next OS release' but an outright lie from the vendor and OEM provider... It was stated on the box that it was compatible with my iPod... certified by Apple themselves, if the print is to be believed. Doesn't work as advertised... never will... no hope of an upgrade... I'm screwed.

so therefore: I'm here for justice in the forums... I've been wronged in my tech purchases... my expectations should be remedied...Someone owes me... I'll post on the fanboi forum... they will sympathize and rally to my cause!

Your 'expectations' have not been met, sorry... but with other vendors I've been burned by outright lies.

However, I roll with it, afterall, it is cheap and essentially non-essential... a convenience.

Sorry your tech purchase didn't fulfill your expectations... but even if it was blessed by St. Steve himself, would you still be fulfilled?

Even money says not.
    Last edited by vorpalz; 02-02-12 at 12:37 AM.
    blue-b likes this.
    02-02-12 12:08 AM
    The only thing I read was the title which was enough for me. Just want to know how that's working for you? Is it keeping your paper in place? If so then there you go it's doing the job you want it to do.
    recompile likes this.
    02-02-12 12:37 AM
    The only thing I read was the title which was enough for me. Just want to know how that's working for you? Is it keeping your paper in place? If so then there you go it's doing the job you want it to do.
    hahahahaha
    02-02-12 12:48 AM
    I can't believe this hit and run thread is still going strong.

If this guy is a pilot then I'm Madonna.
    I know a few pilots and all of them can navigate their way to the shift key. There is a level of intelligence and maturity required for that position that is no where to found in that post.

If this is a free for all thread I can tell you how the need for one iphone app has made paperweights of 5 iphones and 1 mac. Apparently this "business tool" only runs on the 4s and the app can only be had from the latest version on itunes which only runs on the newer macs. We have now have enough obsolete hardware for paperweights and doorsteps.
    They wonder why I pay for my own BB phone.
    recompile and anon(2254645) like this.
    02-02-12 01:22 AM
    Funny, but my iPad is feeling like a paper weight lately. Been using my PlayBook much, much more!
    Yep. Only yesterday I subscribed to an equestrian video channel. All the videos play fantastically on the PB but I thought I would also watch them on the iPad at home with the comfort of a larger screen. Well nada! The iPad won't play them. Had to buy an app for that and the video quality is atrocious.
    02-02-12 06:11 AM
    So have you contacted the people that make those wonderful pilot apps? I remember another from a pilot awhile back. Seems he used his playbook for something to do with flying.

I guess if you need specialized apps right now you are better off with those that shall not be named.
    Please do not tell me pilots use iPad apps to fly their planes???????? That is scaaaaaary!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-02-12 06:22 AM
    I think you are taking a shortcut through history and need to do a little more reading. None of the current tablets were fully featured in their initial releases or within their first year. Amazon is no exception, as I believe the Kindle Fire is their third or fourth kick at the can and would not have the features it has if not for he past several years work on Android. It is also not without its problems either. The same thing with the new Kobo Touch tablet.
    I think what you are missing is that most other tablets already had a full feature list installed at the time the PB was released. To deliver a product with less and try to charge the same price just doesn't work. At the reduced prices, it works just fine.
    02-02-12 06:30 AM
    It is no excuse. There's no rule that says if new devices comes with new OS, one can be successful with hardware + OS only.
    Whats your point? You were just talking about OS and apps. When RIM acquired the QNX kernel they basically had to start development from scratch. Only misinformed trolls speculate that the lack of support for the PB had anything to do with hardware. Everyone agrees its marketing.

Besides, they had major apps ready such as iBook, and content providers were signing up before the release. There are big differences in iPhone apps vs iPad apps, or apps made for both. The don't come free.
    The OS's are pretty much the same. What are you saying? PB came shipped with an e-reader.

When iPhone was released first time, it came with number of productivity apps that were quite ready, better than what PB was released with. Try signing into youtube account on PB.
    Did you just use productivity and you tube in the same sentence? ROFL! You tube is not a productivity app my friend. The fact that you even said that ruins your credibility. Watching the latest viral video of some clown getting hit in the junk by a baseball is not being productive.
    02-02-12 06:35 AM
    Android or iOS are not Windows ME, and as a matter of fact I do prefer responsiveness of Windows ME over XP or Vista or 7. Too bad many apps or hardware do not support ME anymore.

My point is you don't get job done with OS alone. You get job done with apps running on top of OS. Do I have to explain this?
    You prefer the unstable and horrible experience of ME over XP? If you recall - they released ME and then came out with XP very soon after that due to the instability issues of that OS. That OS is junk.

My point is if an OS is crap - all the app's in the world wont help since you'll spend your entire day rebotting and crashing from blue screen. Do I have to explain that? You even admitted yourself when you say more applications arent compatible with ME - software companies know that ME is junk so wont even bother making their software compatible.

Edit: I just googled worst operating system and an article came up from PC World

http://www.pcworld.com/article/16286..._all_time.html

"Windows Me (Millennium Edition), 2000

Until another Microsoft operating system came along a few years ago, Windows Me was the bottom of the Windows barrel. This successor to Windows 98 SE, ranked No. 4 on PC World's list of the 25 worst tech products of all time, tried to be both a 16- and a 32-bit operating system. It worked about as well as a horse with wheels for front legs and hooves for back legs.

It was also slow, unstable and insecure. OK, so those are all traits of Windows in general, but Me took it to an extreme. How bad was it? Microsoft sold it for only a little more than a year. Now, that's bad."

ROFL! Yes ME is wonderful.
    Last edited by mjs416; 02-02-12 at 06:43 AM.
    zorecati and cogsinister like this.
    02-02-12 06:39 AM
    You prefer the unstable and horrible experience of ME over XP? If you recall - they released ME and then came out with XP very soon after that due to the instability issues of that OS. That OS is junk.

My point is if an OS is crap - all the app's in the world wont help since you'll spend your entire day rebotting and crashing from blue screen. Do I have to explain that? You even admitted yourself when you say more applications arent compatible with ME - software companies know that ME is junk so wont even bother making their software compatible.

Edit: I just googled worst operating system and an article came up from PC World

The 10 Worst Operating Systems of All Time - Page 3 | PCWorld

"Windows Me (Millennium Edition), 2000

Until another Microsoft operating system came along a few years ago, Windows Me was the bottom of the Windows barrel. This successor to Windows 98 SE, ranked No. 4 on PC World's list of the 25 worst tech products of all time, tried to be both a 16- and a 32-bit operating system. It worked about as well as a horse with wheels for front legs and hooves for back legs.

It was also slow, unstable and insecure. OK, so those are all traits of Windows in general, but Me took it to an extreme. How bad was it? Microsoft sold it for only a little more than a year. Now, that's bad."

ROFL! Yes ME is wonderful.
    To add to what you're saying, ME and win 9x os's were largely junk when compared to todays windows 7, vista and xp. Having had to support that poo back in the day, I can tell you that even xp was a huge leap forward with regard to stability.

Now, my experience with ipads has been limited to my parents who have ipad and ipad2 and I think it's a fine device. Now android is akin to windows 98. On the 2 devices I do own, it's far too unstable with way to many forced app crashes for a tablet.

PS, i had no issues signing in to youtube on my pb and I did it with only one thumb.
    02-02-12 08:35 AM
    To add to what you're saying, ME and win 9x os's were largely junk when compared to todays windows 7, vista and xp. Having had to support that poo back in the day, I can tell you that even xp was a huge leap forward with regard to stability.

Now, my experience with ipads has been limited to my parents who have ipad and ipad2 and I think it's a fine device. Now android is akin to windows 98. On the 2 devices I do own, it's far too unstable with way to many forced app crashes for a tablet.

PS, i had no issues signing in to youtube on my pb and I did it with only one thumb.
    I was in college during that time frame and the university refused to install ME on any device because of how bad it was. There were actually computers in the lab still running NT and 98 at that point.
    02-02-12 08:46 AM

To what point 9x was a junk? XP was basically 9x + NT kernel, add to that lack of app support and device support in 9x killed 9x shortly after. Yes, NT kernel should have been made available earlier you could consider 9x junk just for that, but I remember having used XP for few years, went back to 9x for short time and amazed how responsive GUI was on 9x. XP's security holes and patches that followed along with virus scanner simply made XP waste a lot of system resources where it's not necessary. Windows 7 is no better in that regard but we're stuck with them anyway.

After you sign into Youtube in PB's youtube app, what do you get for it? I expected my favorites, my channels, my subscriptions be made available at least but I still couldn't find them. Sign in allowed me to upload videos I took with PB, that's all.
    02-02-12 09:45 AM
    Hey op

I wish I could be a pilot. Getting paid 200k to fly around to different places sounds like a sweet deal. Enjoy your life and forget about the pb. Life is too short to worry about the small things.
    This post is a prime example of one of the many forehead-slappingly lame responses that people get on this forum when they dare to post anything negative.

The OP purchased the PB and has as much right to complain as a 30k a year street sweeper. For you to even mention his salary and say something as mind-numbingly inane as "Life is too short to worry about the small things" really just shows a complete lack of sense, and is, in essence, a true troll post if ever I saw one.

And the same goes to all the other posters who jump on anyone with valid criticisms with the same thinly-veiled irrational fanaticism normally reserved for Apple users. It makes me cringe just reading your posts.
    Last edited by Richdog-; 02-03-12 at 07:04 AM.
    02-03-12 02:22 AM
    I have to assume most of the defensive replies are from people who didn't read past the title.
    TheStanger likes this.
    02-03-12 04:40 AM
    Why is it the OP's first post is so, so similar to other first posts by person(s) already banned? I have seen that same lengthy post more times then I can count....and what's with the new guys having their user handles with a dot, ie: ima.trool ? Am I too suspicious and it's all just coincidence...am I turning into a paranoid schizophrenic....do I need to start drinking earlier???
    What's all this 'banned' BS? The reason it's so familiar is because lots of people feel that way. If I got a pilot's licence this could have been written by me.

We all did some research when we bought. It was full of promise and because we BELIEVED in Blackberry products we put our faith in it. When we discovered that the product not only failed to give us what we loved about Blackberry (no spell checker for how long? Come on!) and never surprised us with anything new or inspiring we did what we should do and questioned the product. Best hardware of any tablet but nothing worth using on it! Can't write on it unless you have a degree in spelling (don't give me the 'learn to spell' line - if this was the way forward the PB wouldn't be the only top line tablet that doesn't have it), constant 'network error' with the browser spoiling the main browser advantage it had at shipping, beautiful UI spoiled by lack of 'send to' or 'go to top' or any of the other useful items found on all other devices these days, and an App World that feels like a disused theme park.

Why when someone dares to query the validity of RIM's 'flagship' tablet is there talk about 'banned' and 'troll' as if we have been sent by another manufacturer or we're playing silly teenager games? I am responsible for a fleet of Blackberries and implementing BES etc at my company and I categorically state that in it's current official guise this product is a major disappointment to me and the people within my company I 'sold' it to at release. It's uninspiring and you don't learn to love it more over time, you learn to live with it's failure to deliver and I feel like I've been in a bad marriage for an eternity and I'm staying together for the sake of the kids. I've gone from checking App World, this forum and the web for all things Playbook daily to shrugging my shoulders when someone asks the usual 'is it any good?' question. It delivers daily for me....I discover 7 things a week I wish it had/did and my 'temporary' relationship with an i-pod touch is beginning to look a lot more permanent. How many people on, say, Apple's forums say 'I'm using a Blackberry Playbook for the moment while I wait for ios5 to deliver me what I want from it.....for 9 months...'.

And by asking about banned folk and trolling you're turning this forum into the tablet equivalent of the Kia Pride owners club. 'We refuse to accept it's a sub-par car and is beaten into a pulp by shopping run specials but we love our Kias....we really do!'. Whenever I visit here now I visualise a line of slightly insane fanatics saluting the flag on the bridge of a ship as water laps around their feet and more discerning passengers run for the lifeboats.

RIM took my money and didn't deliver. It's not the RIM I once knew for sure. This update better be good. It's needed not only to make me love the �550.00 ice cream shovel I have but also to prevent the fanatics here from looking not just stupidly faithful but REALLY stupidly faithful.
    conix67, kennyliu and randall2580 like this.
    02-03-12 06:35 AM
    i really dont understand these posts. i bought my pb when it was launched and have no regrets so far. but everyone has their view. sorry for OP that he didnt like pb. but if u waited this long would suggest to wait till 17th feb. if u still dont like it u have lot of people in these forums who can buy ur paper weight. and dont think attackin op like this is fair too.
    02-03-12 10:30 AM
    What's all this 'banned' BS? The reason it's so familiar is because lots of people feel that way. If I got a pilot's licence this could have been written by me.

Why when someone dares to query the validity of RIM's 'flagship' tablet is there talk about 'banned' and 'troll' as if we have been sent by another manufacturer or we're playing silly teenager games? I am responsible for a fleet of Blackberries and implementing BES etc at my company and I categorically state that in it's current official guise this product is a major disappointment to me and the people within my company I 'sold' it to at release. It's uninspiring and you don't learn to love it more over time, you learn to live with it's failure to deliver and I feel like I've been in a bad marriage for an eternity and I'm staying together for the sake of the kids. I've gone from checking App World, this forum and the web for all things Playbook daily to shrugging my shoulders when someone asks the usual 'is it any good?' question. It delivers daily for me....I discover 7 things a week I wish it had/did and my 'temporary' relationship with an i-pod touch is beginning to look a lot more permanent. How many people on, say, Apple's forums say 'I'm using a Blackberry Playbook for the moment while I wait for ios5 to deliver me what I want from it.....for 9 months...'.

And by asking about banned folk and trolling you're turning this forum into the tablet equivalent of the Kia Pride owners club. 'We refuse to accept it's a sub-par car and is beaten into a pulp by shopping run specials but we love our Kias....we really do!'. Whenever I visit here now I visualise a line of slightly insane fanatics saluting the flag on the bridge of a ship as water laps around their feet and more discerning passengers run for the lifeboats.

You should have seen this forum a couple months ago. There were a few repeat offenders (who were finally banned) who would label everybody a troll. The forum has become a much more pleasant place since they were gone. Thanks to the mods.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-03-12 10:46 AM
    I never use my ipod touch. Maybe I should go over to iPdb and start a post called "The iPod Touch - my expensive paper weight"
    Chaddface likes this.
    02-03-12 11:08 AM
184 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD