If your playbook is a "paper weight" - then that is simply your issue, not the playbook.

Why would you buy one? Because you're clearly a compulsive purchaser of items you feel remorse about later. It is your fault you don't know how to take full advantage of a blackberry tablet, I feel so sorry for you.

Hope you find another, more appealing paper weight to waste money on.

Keep on buying blackberry though, k?
    @buckwylder: I like your comment and Its true. He should buy iPad2, Bigger and heavier paper weight, even more expensive one
    Fr3lncr likes this.
    02-01-12 01:26 PM
    People need to stop blaming the hardware they purchase for their own personal inability to use a device in that doesn't require a million crapps (I mean apps) used to access an interface between their fingers and the Internet. The playbook is for people who pride themselves on being self sufficient and their critical thinking attributes. Like leaders.
    02-01-12 01:28 PM
    People need to stop blaming the hardware they purchase for their own personal inability to use a device in that doesn't require a million crapps (I mean apps) used to access an interface between their fingers and the Internet. The playbook is for people who pride themselves on being self sufficient and their critical thinking attributes. Like leaders.
    Ah....smug superiority.

Yeah, that'll win him over.
    buchacho likes this.
    02-01-12 01:31 PM
    Let's not get carried away here. My fondness for the PB says no more about my leadership and critical thinking than my Dad's fondness for the iPad2 says about his creativity.
    buchacho and TheStanger like this.
    02-01-12 01:34 PM
    Let's not get carried away here. My fondness for the PB says no more about my leadership and critical thinking than my Dad's fondness for the iPad2 says about his creativity.
    I lol'd

10 char
    02-01-12 01:36 PM
    I know why your mad, however the PlayBook is a baby. Do babies not need more than 1 year to grow? How can RIM make a a Skype and MSN client when Microsoft owns them? It's not RIM's fault Skype or MSN hasn't been released yet! Babies need time to grow, and the PB O.S ecosystem does too. I would wait until O.S 2.0 comes out until you want to sell your PlayBook, try it out! If you still don't like it sell the PB.
    If the PB is a baby then its growth is ********. All the other kids are growing up much faster. Even kids who were born months later like the Kindle that lives across the street. The playbook is special. But rides the short bus special too. If I were the PB's parents I would've been concerned that it was born premature.

Anyway, the playbook is not a baby. Amazon popped out a fine tablet with all the features promised. And it is RIM's fault certain things haven't been released yet.
    conix67 and Pearl9100 like this.
    02-01-12 01:36 PM
    @ D.hutchin (thread Wirter): if you have so many complaints about PB then why did you buy it?
    I am 101% sure that u knew all this you hv writen now before you bought it but still u bought it (may be thinking that after u buy, there will b miracle and everything will start working within a sec).
    It takes time to make things better, rome was not built in a day.
    I Know skype calls n video calls are not possible on PB but you can use IM+ for all your messengers like, Yahoo!, MSN, AIM, Skype(only chat), Gtalk etc.

Still you can check emails on playbook, you can browse internet and your file in almost all formats.
    If you want everything b perfect then u will get nothing because nothing is perfect.

you are going to buy Samsung Galaxy 10.1, go ahead but i am sure that after 2-3 months that will be another paper weight on ur shelf and more expensive one.
    02-01-12 01:39 PM
    If PB is to be treated like baby until it grows up to be competitive, it already lost. Yes, the software can get better, but hardware cannot grow together. Almost one year later we are about to get OS update that was promised ever since its release. Competitors are about to release new hardware and new products.

I can only hope that it grows big time with OS 2.0 update that the growth in competition makes little difference.
    02-01-12 01:46 PM
    If PB is to be treated like baby until it grows up to be competitive, it already lost. Yes, the software can get better, but hardware cannot grow together. Almost one year later we are about to get OS update that was promised ever since its release. Competitors are about to release new hardware and new products.

I can only hope that it grows big time with OS 2.0 update that the growth in competition makes little difference.
    If you are talking about hardware then I must inform you that QNX is much more advanced than other hardwares in market. So playbook just need better OS to defeat all others
    02-01-12 02:12 PM
    If you are talking about hardware then I must inform you that QNX is much more advanced than other hardwares in market. So playbook just need better OS to defeat all others
    Is that a joke or just being sarcastic?

By the way, OS is a foundation of a computing platform that applications run on. You don't get your job done with OS, you get your job done with applications.
    02-01-12 02:16 PM
    If the PB is a baby then its growth is ********. All the other kids are growing up much faster. Even kids who were born months later like the Kindle that lives across the street. The playbook is special. But rides the short bus special too. If I were the PB's parents I would've been concerned that it was born premature.

Anyway, the playbook is not a baby. Amazon popped out a fine tablet with all the features promised. And it is RIM's fault certain things haven't been released yet.
    You've left out the facts, Amazon didn't have to write a new OS from scratch, they just popped on Android on to a tablet that was also designed and made my someone else.
    rjedge54, spatialmongrel and Rello like this.
    02-01-12 02:25 PM

I think you are taking a shortcut through history and need to do a little more reading. None of the current tablets were fully featured in their initial releases or within their first year. Amazon is no exception, as I believe the Kindle Fire is their third or fourth kick at the can and would not have the features it has if not for he past several years work on Android. It is also not without its problems either. The same thing with the new Kobo Touch tablet.
    02-01-12 02:26 PM
    I think you are taking a shortcut through history and need to do a little more reading. None of the current tablets were fully featured in their initial releases or within their first year. Amazon is no exception, as I believe the Kindle Fire is their third or fourth kick at the can and would not have the features it has if not for he past several years work on Android. It is also not without its problems either. The same thing with the new Kobo Touch tablet.
    No reading required, experience speaks the most. Android tablets struggled, and they still do even with vast number of apps. iPads, however, were quite ready when it was released. It may not have had the same number of apps today, but it does beat what PB has after one year at the time of its release.

To me, what caught me off guard was the quality of built-in apps such as youtube and pdf reader on PB, more than availability of 3rd party applications which were easy to discover through readings.
    02-01-12 02:39 PM
    Is that a joke or just being sarcastic?

By the way, OS is a foundation of a computing platform that applications run on. You don't get your job done with OS, you get your job done with applications.
    If the OS is irrelevant to productivity then go ahead and install Windows ME on your PC and let me know how much you can get done...with anything.
    02-01-12 03:20 PM
    No reading required, experience speaks the most. Android tablets struggled, and they still do even with vast number of apps. iPads, however, were quite ready when it was released. It may not have had the same number of apps today, but it does beat what PB has after one year at the time of its release.
    Thats because they took an OS they already had 3 years to develop and ported it to... a bigger iphone. There is literally no difference between ios on an iphone and an ipad.

How many apps were available when the first iphone was released.

Quite the troll in this thread aintcha?
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-01-12 03:23 PM
    Thats because they took an OS they already had 3 years to develop and ported it to... a bigger iphone. There is literally no difference between ios on an iphone and an ipad.

How many apps were available when the first iphone was released.

Quite the troll in this thread aintcha?
    It is no excuse. There's no rule that says if new devices comes with new OS, one can be successful with hardware + OS only.

Besides, they had major apps ready such as iBook, and content providers were signing up before the release. There are big differences in iPhone apps vs iPad apps, or apps made for both. The don't come free.

When iPhone was released first time, it came with number of productivity apps that were quite ready, better than what PB was released with. Try signing into youtube account on PB.

It has been discussed to death. If you're going to catch up to market reader, you have to do one better than them. You are trying to do the same others did 5 years ago, won't get you anywhere.
    Last edited by conix67; 02-01-12 at 03:35 PM.
    02-01-12 03:31 PM
    If the OS is irrelevant to productivity then go ahead and install Windows ME on your PC and let me know how much you can get done...with anything.
    Android or iOS are not Windows ME, and as a matter of fact I do prefer responsiveness of Windows ME over XP or Vista or 7. Too bad many apps or hardware do not support ME anymore.

My point is you don't get job done with OS alone. You get job done with apps running on top of OS. Do I have to explain this?
    02-01-12 03:33 PM

There was an article a while back about Microsoft and RIM having about one year to get their stuff in order with their new OS's. (I did a quick search and couldn't find it) but basically the point was when iOS first came out, it wasn't really good (look at how long it took before it got decent features). Same thing for Android when it first came out which was basically crap (in my opinion) and still needs a lot of work.

So the point was these two companies had time to develop their products to what they are today as they didn't start out that way. As such, would MS and RIM get their stuff together to improve their products in about the same amount of time.

While MS did improve Windows Phone significantly, it is still not to the same level as Android and iOS and they are more than one year on the market. If RIM delivers on the goods with OS2 for the PB, then they will have done it in just under a year (though of course it is just on the PB and not on their phones).

So, the analogy of a 'baby' is a correct one and if you look at it historically, RIM is actually doing it better than their competitors did. Granted it is a long time to wait but again, EVERYONE has been in the same boat.
    02-01-12 03:47 PM
    There was an article a while back about Microsoft and RIM having about one year to get their stuff in order with their new OS's. (I did a quick search and couldn't find it) but basically the point was when iOS first came out, it wasn't really good (look at how long it took before it got decent features). Same thing for Android when it first came out which was basically crap (in my opinion) and still needs a lot of work.

So the point was these two companies had time to develop their products to what they are today as they didn't start out that way. As such, would MS and RIM get their stuff together to improve their products in about the same amount of time.

While MS did improve Windows Phone significantly, it is still not to the same level as Android and iOS and they are more than one year on the market. If RIM delivers on the goods with OS2 for the PB, then they will have done it in just under a year (though of course it is just on the PB and not on their phones).

So, the analogy of a 'baby' is a correct one and if you look at it historically, RIM is actually doing it better than their competitors did. Granted it is a long time to wait but again, EVERYONE has been in the same boat.
    When iOS came out first, it was REALLY good. It attracted a lot of people because you could do things that you couldn't do on any other competing device at the time. They took bits and pieces of what others had, and put in a package that was easy to use. At this time, of course the 3rd party app selection wasn't as good as today, but far from "crap".

Now, there's little that PB can distinguish itself in this regard, at the time of its release. It's got everything that other competing product had, in terms of hardware features. Bright spot is the unique and intuitive OS, but hardly justifies for releasing "baby" state product into market.

Yes, the analogy of "baby" is correct and that explains lack of success of PB thus far.
    02-01-12 03:57 PM
    Someone seems to forget, somewhat conveniently, all the things iOS was missing at first - cut and paste, among other things. I don't think it was very good at the time. Has it evolved, sure. But your comparison of Playbook OS to a mature iOS is not apples to apples.

Pull the feature set of iOS when the first gen Ipod touch came out, and do a side by side comparison of it with Playbook OS. Then come back and post OK?

And while doing it, lay off the Apple kool-aid
    alnamvet68 and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    02-01-12 04:10 PM
    This thread is really killing me. The PB (or any other tablet) is the epitome of personal computer devices. Get one you like! If you don't like it or if it doesn't do what you need then RETURN IT! Every retailer has a return policy. All this bashing and posturing is just hilarious. Mine was $200 and it is definitely worth much more than that to me.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-01-12 04:31 PM
    When iOS came out first, it was REALLY good. It attracted a lot of people because you could do things that you couldn't do on any other competing device at the time. They took bits and pieces of what others had, and put in a package that was easy to use. At this time, of course the 3rd party app selection wasn't as good as today, but far from "crap".

Now, there's little that PB can distinguish itself in this regard, at the time of its release. It's got everything that other competing product had, in terms of hardware features. Bright spot is the unique and intuitive OS, but hardly justifies for releasing "baby" state product into market.

Yes, the analogy of "baby" is correct and that explains lack of success of PB thus far.
    I don't think the first iteration of iOS was really good. I think it was functional but lacking in many areas. You have every right to your opinion but that is all you are sharing with statements as subjective as that.
    02-01-12 04:31 PM
    I don't think the first iteration of iOS was really good. I think it was functional but lacking in many areas. You have every right to your opinion but that is all you are sharing with statements as subjective as that.
    It was lacking in many areas, and yet there was never any doubt there would be another iPhone. Certainly many people are thrilled with the PlayBook, and many more will be happy with 2.0. But the fact that we can't yet say that RIM will be selling a PlayBook sequel at some point suggests that as good as the PlayBook may be, it hasn't so far been good enough to assure its place in the market. This may not be "right" or fair, but it's the way it is.
    02-01-12 04:56 PM
    Someone seems to forget, somewhat conveniently, all the things iOS was missing at first - cut and paste, among other things. I don't think it was very good at the time. Has it evolved, sure. But your comparison of Playbook OS to a mature iOS is not apples to apples.

Pull the feature set of iOS when the first gen Ipod touch came out, and do a side by side comparison of it with Playbook OS. Then come back and post OK?

And while doing it, lay off the Apple kool-aid
    Cut/copy/paste, I still don't use much. It was mature at the time because there was none like it.

Now a product that is new in the market and competing with existing market leader, with less feature set, is there a competition?

I'm not putting down on PB, I love my PB, but saying that the analogy of PB being a baby acceptable is quite unacceptable. That is definitely not aiming success for a product.

I don't want some weak baby in my hand. I need a good competitive workhorse, and that's what consumers want in general.
    02-01-12 05:00 PM
    Great things come to those with the patience of a Trappist Monk; all others wind up with 'rrhoids and iOS.
    jamesbondOO7 and azrin640 like this.
    02-01-12 05:55 PM
184 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD