<rant>
    I have always been a 'blackberry fanboi' so to speak. I live my life as an airline pilot largely on the road and blackberries have always by far afforded me the most practical funtionality and reliability.

So when rim announced they were releasing a tablet i was overjoyed. Even more so when i saw the specs and the promises that were made in the pre launch marketing hype. I bought my 32gb playbook within the first month of release to find out that despite the somewhat hefty price tag many of the features promised werent implimented just yet.

Ever the beliver, i waited...and waited...and waited...
    Its been almost a year now and still;

-No skype
    -no native msn messenger
    -no native email
    -bbm only via bridge and even so it lacks functionality...cant view/talk in groups on the playbook for example
    -no netflix
    -lack of interesting / usefull apps, which would be ok except for the next point
    -still no ability to run android apps
    -----Now we are being told that android apps will for the most part have to be ported to run correctly and some may never function 100% correctly
    -Inability to run exsisting bb phone apps
    -Bridge: "meh' and glitchy at best
    -Document suit kinda lacking, cant even spell check or perform some other basic functions, excell for the playbook is...pityfull...
    -Limited selection of e-readers
    -folder and file management is 'meh'/clunky
    -PDF functionality could be better

And as it turns out the 7 inch screen size though it seemed a good idea at the time is pretty much good for reading e-books but not all that great for anything else. Though i suppose choosing a 7 inch tablet was my choice so i cant really knock RIM for that one.

For all of the above reasons my playbook has been sitting largely unused on the shelf at my apartment i dont even take it with me on most trips anymore. I have a laptop which i carry, the playbook was meant for quick on the go stuff browsing/checking email/social media etc in the terminal or on in the few mins between a turn around etc. Even inflight entertainment when deadheading etc.

As it turns out the above issues result in me still using my torch for the most part for emails, msn etc etc and although i can store the electronic versions of all my company manuals/aircraft manuals etc on the playbook for quick reference the 7inch display and the pdf wackyness means its still difficult cumbersome to view a regular sized pdf page in page view.

The end result of all of the above means i am stuck with a $500 internet browser...which after the recent price cuts..is now only worth about $200-250 at best.

Infact its worse than that, i am thinking of replacing the PB with a 10.1 galaxy tab which can do everything the pb can and more with the exception of bridge/bbm (which i dont use anyway really due to the limitations) and runs android nativly. However, now that RIM has slashed the prices on the playbook the resale value of my PB even in mint condtion is virtually nil.

Bestbuy which runs a electronics trade in program where u can trade in for credit towards a new device informed me that the playbook has no trade in value ( yes, $0 ) and they wont accept it. The trade in value on a used ipad2 is more than the current retail of the PB. Even a used Ipad1 and most of the android 2.0/3.0 tablets have some trade in value.

I put the device up for sale on social media a few days ago '$180 or best offer" and thats for a device in pristine condition with all origonal cables/chargers/manuals and free playbook leather case/stand. Not even a single query.

Yes, i know OS 2.xxxx release for the PB is just around the corner and will address some of these concerns but i am tired of waiting for things that were promised at launch only to be told every month "not this month, next month we promise" and the reality is that android app player still has issues and even when implimented will still be reliant on coders who are willing to port their apps or other peoples apps to the playbook and even then due to the fact that some apps may rely on android specific APIs and functions true cross platform functionality may never be 100% achieved.

With the small userbase that the PB has even 1 year after release i just dont see that it is going to get the critical mass needed to push devlopers into releasing certain high quality apps on the PB platform.

Overall, i have to say i am dissappointed with this device and more so with RIMs handling of the device post launch.

</endrant>
    01-31-12 07:04 AM
    Hope your flame suit is on, fella.
    01-31-12 07:06 AM
    <rant>
    I have always been a 'blackberry fanboi' so to speak. I live my life as an airline pilot largely on the road and blackberries have always by far afforded me the most practical funtionality and reliability.

So when rim announced they were releasing a tablet i was overjoyed. Even more so when i saw the specs and the promises that were made in the pre launch marketing hype. I bought my 32gb playbook within the first month of release to find out that despite the somewhat hefty price tag many of the features promised werent implimented just yet.

Ever the believer, i waited...and waited...and waited...
    Its been almost a year now and still;

-No Skype
    -no native MSN messenger
    I know why your mad, however the PlayBook is a baby. Do babies not need more than 1 year to grow? How can RIM make a a Skype and MSN client when Microsoft owns them? It's not RIM's fault Skype or MSN hasn't been released yet! Babies need time to grow, and the PB O.S ecosystem does too. I would wait until O.S 2.0 comes out until you want to sell your PlayBook, try it out! If you still don't like it sell the PB.
    01-31-12 07:10 AM
    You waited this long why not wait a couple more weeks? See what os2 really does and then make a decision.
    01-31-12 07:11 AM
    Sell it and buy a iPad, no regrets...
    01-31-12 07:12 AM
    Sorry OP. I could use another paper weight. PM me if you want to know where to send it.
    01-31-12 07:12 AM
    I know why your mad, however the PlayBook is a baby. Do babies not need more than 1 year to grow? How can RIM make a a Skype and MSN client when Microsoft owns them? It's not RIM's fault Skype or MSN hasn't been released yet! Babies need time to grow, and the PB O.S ecosystem does too. I would wait until O.S 2.0 comes out until you want to sell your PlayBook, try it out! If you still don't like it sell the PB.
    I brought up the msn messenger specifically because RIMS pre-release marketing if i recall listed it as one of the features, also if i remember right there were various demo screens of the PB one of which appeared to show a MSN messenger icon...the implication being that it was supported which was not a stretch given that msn has long been a feature of blackberry phones and the PB was preported at the time to be able to run bb apps.
    Speczorz and jntrup like this.
    01-31-12 07:16 AM
    <rant>
    [...]

</endrant>
    YAFABOWINOP (*), Again and again ... all from the Galaxy galaxy ... :?

Sorry you had such problems ... and never ever asked about anything, but found the time to write - Baudelaire style (**) - in public that you can't read what were the specifications of the PB when launched and what they will be after 2.0 launch.

(*) Yet Another Fan Boy With No Post ...
    (**) Means very long, even boring text.

P.S : this post is S.E.O ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-31-12 at 08:40 AM. Reason: cry removed, write is more fair.
    01-31-12 07:20 AM
    Now don't you feel better getting that off your chest? You pretty much summed up the frustration everyone is having with the Playbook. My playbook is about as useful as a 4 cylinder Ferrari.

I could have returned mine and maybe I will regret not doing so, but the $199 price and OS 2.0 convinced me to hang onto it.
    01-31-12 07:21 AM
    Funny, but my iPad is feeling like a paper weight lately. Been using my PlayBook much, much more!
    TTBGF, gtamhankar, car45 and 13 others like this.
    01-31-12 07:30 AM
    I thought there was osmething following the </endrant>

Can anyone make a short version of the whole story please?
    01-31-12 07:35 AM
    All valid points, but seriously. Wait a few weeks for OS 2. Join the Skype petition here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...itment-691875/

Fight for it, man!
    swiftex likes this.
    01-31-12 07:41 AM
    OP:

You mention that you have a BB? Then why are you upset about the lacking native email, addresses book and calendar? When at any point do you not have your BB within bluetooth range of your PB? I cant think of a single time when Ive not been able to just pick my PB up and check my mail or calendar.

I think we all agree we would like to see some specific apps (Netflix, Skype) but hopefully those are coming.

If you honestly cant find any further utility for the PB other than to leave it on your desk - I've got nothing for you.
    01-31-12 07:42 AM
    Hey OP......I'll GLADLY accept your paper weight!
    01-31-12 07:46 AM
    I feel the OP's pain. Over the years I have purchased many "paperweights" some I returned and some I've kept for reasons I'm not really sure of. I have to admit, no one forced me to purchase or keep these "paperweights", I did this on MY own free will. I would like to blame the world for MY inability to purchase well rounded products.....someone please help ME.....I don't deserve to own another "paperweight"......blah, blah, blah.
    01-31-12 07:49 AM
    As a travelling pilot I think you should've ponied up the dough for a laptop

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    01-31-12 07:53 AM
    I brought up the msn messenger specifically because RIMS pre-release marketing if i recall listed it as one of the features, also if i remember right there were various demo screens of the PB one of which appeared to show a MSN messenger icon...the implication being that it was supported which was not a stretch given that msn has long been a feature of blackberry phones and the PB was preported at the time to be able to run bb apps.
    A 10 words question anywhere - here included - and you'd have known.
    From what I feel now, regarding RIM and MS recent cooperation (ActiveSync, office 365), I'll be VERY surprised if LIVE ("MSN Messenger" ... do you really still use this version ?) wasn't, in deep, present in 2.0.
    01-31-12 07:54 AM
    OP:

You mention that you have a BB? Then why are you upset about the lacking native email, addresses book and calendar? When at any point do you not have your BB within bluetooth range of your PB? I cant think of a single time when Ive not been able to just pick my PB up and check my mail or calendar.
    I think you channeled Steve Jobs there. "Don't use it that way" would be a good paraphrase.
    01-31-12 07:56 AM
    I think you channeled Steve Jobs there. "Don't use it that way" would be a good paraphrase.
    you bad boy 101 !
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-31-12 07:57 AM
    Honestly, I thought people passed this by now. It's been said COUNTLESS times over, but we've looked passed it. It's your device though, do as you please. PM me, and we'll work out a "fair" deal for a "paper weight".
    sbx9900 likes this.
    01-31-12 07:58 AM
    Why is it the OP's first post is so, so similar to other first posts by person(s) already banned? I have seen that same lengthy post more times then I can count....and what's with the new guys having their user handles with a dot, ie: ima.trool ? Am I too suspicious and it's all just coincidence...am I turning into a paranoid schizophrenic....do I need to start drinking earlier???
    01-31-12 07:59 AM
    Now don't you feel better getting that off your chest? You pretty much summed up the frustration everyone is having with the Playbook. My playbook is about as useful as a 4 cylinder Ferrari.

I could have returned mine and maybe I will regret not doing so, but the $199 price and OS 2.0 convinced me to hang onto it.
    Don't speak for me.
    01-31-12 08:05 AM
    i have a laptop lol i travel with my laptop and the playbook...well the playbook when i remember these days.

and to the other poster yes i know its called windos live messenger now but i still call it by the old name (old habits)

@superfly: remember i bought it the same month as release, back then we all thought (you guys on here included) that android player etc was right around the corner (we were told by the summer) and that was supposed to solve most of the issues because what ever native apps were lacked would most likely be available in adroids app world which is huge.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-31-12 08:05 AM
    I was looking for the:

"J/K! I love my PlayBook"

But it never came.

To start, I am an early adopter. I paid full premium price for my 64GB with an Otterbox. When you do the math that's about $800. That's a lot. I could have waited a year and bought it when it was on sale. But as I look at where I have taken it and what I have on it, the $800 is a cheap price. Family moments. Gotta love those.

I, for one, am very pleased with the PlayBook! Very much so that I was buying them for Christmas presents. My 70 year old father takes his everywhere. He video chats with me when ever he gets a hotspot, takes photos, video and more. He is on it more than his new Asus gaming laptop. He uses it more than I thought he would.

The size of the PlayBook is perfect for me. Even with the Otterbox case on it (a naked PlayBook seems SO wrong). I can put it in many pockets (cargo pants/shorts are a perfect fit for it). I looked at 10" tablets and couldn't imagine carrying that around to football games, basketball games, soccer practice, curling etc. No one brings an iPad out to games to record their favorite moments.

Sure it has its short comings. But hey we all do.

OP - I'm just curious what it was that pushed you over the edge to join today and post your rant after all this time. What made you so mad to post yours online with only 2 weeks to go for OS2? Tell me what was the final straw.
    01-31-12 08:07 AM
    just buy and ipad or an android tablet. Playbook is not for everybody. Everybody has their own needs. playbook suits me well for web browsing, its size (mobility), messaging, media consumption, and the rest i run off android player. i won't trade my pb for any other tablet. i don't game on tablets, i have a crossfire PC at home and everything aside from PC games are inadequate for me.
    01-31-12 08:09 AM
184 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD