Here was my project for today, keeping me out of trouble. The boat is a 19foot runabout, so probably one of the only ones you'll ever see with a computer on board. I had to add a little bluetooth receiver-aux to my stereo, and wait for OS 2.0 before I did it. The no volume control seriously sucks! Im hoping somebody at RIM sees this thread and passes the word on that we need an update asap!

The basic idea on doing the mount this way was so I can decide at anytime I want to get rid of the mount and there wont be a single screw hole or anything visible, it will be like it wasn't even there.

That's an otterbox defender case, with the 3rd layer of protection screwed to a large 4"x4"x4" metal angel bracket that i painted black and used some nice shiny nuts and bolts. The side of the angle bracket that you don't see is between the fiberglass mold and the vinyl/foam on top. The angle bracket needed some bending and hammering to get it round like the fiberglass mold. Its also attached with nuts and bolts, accessible from way underneath, pretty tricky to get at but i could remove everything in about 10 minutes.

Its really sturdy, in fact there's about 5 other things right from the factory on my boat that shake and bounce alot more then this playbook. It will barely move no matter what kind of waves im going over.

Playbook was 150$ on sale at telus, bluetooth receiver was 20$, otterbox case was 40$ on craigslist. Not bad at all.

Now the things I need from RIM and an app developer or maybe even some of you guys can suggest some good apps. First would be VOLUME CONTROL, why this wasn't included in os 2.0 ill never know. Second would be an app to go along with a bluetooth webcam, this way i can set up a camera at the back and watch the person wake boarding, instead of using one of those ancient mirror things. And more music apps, nobex radio sucks because everything's blocked in Canada. Slacker radio sucks because its too slow for whatever reason, maybe they just need to fix it. I'm shur there's some android apps that I should try out but the list of converted bar files is getting pretty big I'm not shur where to start.

Last edited by dandekker; 02-26-12 at 03:34 PM.
    Toodeurep, farskija and DC506 like this.
    02-26-12 03:31 PM
    That looks extremly well done my friend! Would love to cruise on it!
    02-26-12 03:32 PM
    That looks pretty cool, nice work! One question though, is that a waterproof enclosure?
    02-26-12 03:36 PM
    That a boy good job
    02-26-12 03:36 PM
    Great idea. My 1709 Fish and Ski will have one of these before the season begins here in the Midwest.
    02-26-12 03:42 PM
    That looks pretty cool, nice work! One question though, is that a waterproof enclosure?
    The otterbox defender isn't waterproof, but its safe to say its water resistant. If you watch the crackberry review on the case its got the first layer being two peices of hard plastic that snap together from either side, with a thick screen protector built right in, then a silicone rubber that goes over that.

Im not worried about it getting splashed with water from peoples clothes, towels, or even if somebody does a cannon ball right next to the boat trying to get everybody wet on a hot day.

Obviously if I drop it in the water im screwed, its headed to the bottom of the lake fast!, if i dropped it in a foot of water on the beach it might be ok if I act quik and dry it out.
    Majestic Lion likes this.
    02-26-12 03:44 PM
    Now you can play Need for Speed or Asphalt while navigating your boat just to see the mayhem you can cause before the Coast Guard sets their sights on you.
    Fuzzballz and DaveTheA like this.
    02-26-12 03:48 PM
    Amazing man. Great work.

What exactly are you using it for though?
    you could set up a laptop with a sound system and use a RDP app to control it
    or could you just use wireless speakers and play from the playbook?

I think the possibilities are endless!
    02-26-12 03:49 PM
    Great idea. My 1709 Fish and Ski will have one of these before the season begins here in the Midwest.
    The defender case has this little stand built into the plastic, you rip that piece out and you have a little over 1/4" of space for your nuts and bolts. Im goona do another mount in my truck with a casemate barely there case but thats goona take a little extra since i cant bolt the case to a bracket without risk of scratches on the back of the playbook.

Now you can play Need for Speed or Asphalt while navigating your boat just to see the mayhem you can cause before the Coast Guard sets their sights on you.
    With the actual steering wheel!!!since the boat rolls side to side enough Im trying it first time im out on the lake hahahha

Amazing man. Great work.

What exactly are you using it for though?
    you could set up a laptop with a sound system and use a RDP app to control it
    or could you just use wireless speakers and play from the playbook?

I think the possibilities are endless!
    Mainly I wanted it for music, ill routinely sync music to my playbook. The boat already has 4 speakers inside, and 4 up top on the wakeboard tower. Since i added a bluetooth receiver to my boat head unit any sound of the playbook works wirelessly. Worst case only wire ill ever see is if i have to recharge it, which theres a 12v outlet right next to the steering wheel.

Plus who doesnt want every other function the playbook can do built into there boat
    Last edited by dandekker; 02-26-12 at 04:45 PM.
    peter9477 and Toodeurep like this.
    02-26-12 04:00 PM
    Very nice! Kudos!
    02-26-12 04:04 PM
    I was ******** alot about no volume control but somehow an update was snuck in behind my back or something wasn't working before because I now can control the bluetooth volume by the buttons on the top. At first I got an error saying this function is not supported, now it ses bluetooth volume + -

I don't even care why, along as it works
    Last edited by dandekker; 03-05-12 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Autocorrect
    03-05-12 12:59 AM
    Very professional looking install. Nice work!
    10-16-12 03:55 AM
    Add ViewRangerGPS so you can see/track where you've been or if you get lost in some islands.
    10-16-12 08:20 AM
    Reminds me of a friend who owns a company that makes nautical chart apps. He has a 46' boat with multiple screens, including an iPad running his software. He says they're making an Android version of the app, but no plans for Playbook.

This is hsi array from the bridge. he has a duplicate array in the cabin.

10-16-12 02:34 PM
    I would like to see a picture that the playbook took while you are out on the water. I would also suggest making video of a nice ride. or make a mount on the back as well to tape those water skiing or tubing
    10-16-12 03:09 PM
    Sadly the boat was melted in my driveway as my neighbours house set on fire this summer. Didn't get to use it much but I can tell you this, useing the boat throttle and steering to control need for speed is huge fun.just make shur your on an empty lake lol
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook in my boat-img_00000086.jpg   Playbook in my boat-neighbours-20house-20on-20fire.jpg  
    10-16-12 03:21 PM
    wow didn;t notice this was old. sorry to hear that
    10-16-12 03:51 PM
    Very nice mod.
    10-16-12 05:39 PM
    You mentioned that slacker radio and other not working so well !

Would CBC Music CBC Music work better ? Possible buffering issues though !! That is if you're getting a new boat and a new PB !!?

Sorry to hear about the fire ...
    10-16-12 06:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD