Now that there's no BB10 for the PlayBook, what should BlackBerry do?

1. Continue to port as much BB10 over to the PlayBook as feasible so that it's more functional. Release it at some point, but do not make any announcements or promises. Just do it. If devs find code blocks, let people speculate and post rumors, but don't say anything.

2. Drop development completely and release the bootloader and device drivers so that devs can port Android (or any other OS) over. This, of course, will be a problem with existing support contracts BlackBerry might have with companies/institutions where they're bound to deliver a secure tablet. However, when the last contract expires, they should release this info.

3. Offer a trade-up. One registered PlayBook serial number gains the owner $100-$200 off the price of a Z10 or Q10. The owner gets to keep his/her PlayBook. The owner doesn't feel like the PlayBook was a complete loss and BlackBerry may still move more inventory, of PlayBooks, Z10's and Q10's.

4. ???

Typed on a PlayBook in Tokyo using a Palm foldable keyboard.
    06-28-13 12:18 PM
    They should do that.

They owe it to their fans
    06-28-13 12:19 PM
    I'll keep copying and pasting this same post of mine.

They need to come out with a press interview to community heads cb,berryreview,bbe etc.Why they cant do BB10 on the playbook, are they gonna update the current PB with a diet version, or anything??

If they tell the truth people would'nt be so mad,just tell the truth.If they say another playbook will come out no one will buy it.Since there's no assurance they will look after it.Even if they smooth things over and announce a tablet with no discount,rebate or good price for previous owners they are screwed.Its already a niche product they could of sold it on their web site and shipped it out made decent earner.Now NO ONE will invest in any BB product outside the phones.

They need to address things with statements out ASAP!!!
    06-28-13 12:21 PM
    Agree 100% with this! Just be open and communicate with us. That is all we want!!
    RECOOL likes this.
    06-28-13 12:24 PM
    I bought a PlayBook for me and my gf, convinced my mother to purchase 4 more for her, my father, my sister and her bf. All because bb10 was coming...
    I have egg on my face now....

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    06-28-13 12:25 PM
    I bought a PlayBook for me and my gf, convinced my mother to purchase 4 more for her, my father, my sister and her bf. All because bb10 was coming...

Don't feel too bad. BB CEO's have a record of breaking promises.

The last CEO convinced me that email would be on the PB within 60 days. So I bought a PB based on that "promise".
    dphjeff and FF22 like this.
    06-28-13 12:43 PM
    My guess is the port isn't done yet and a decision needed to be made as to continue or not. Had BlackBerry done better with their finances, they could comfortably continue working on it, as BB10 on the PlayBook is a goodwill gesture to the PlayBook users. The number of Z10 and Q10 owners already exceed PlayBook users within one quarter (with probably a lot of overlap, so they're not necessarily going to gain another million+ users for BB10 to excite developers). Since they took a loss, they need to show that they're still cost cutting to shareholders.

Of course, maybe BB10 on PlayBooks is just not very fast right now. If they said it wasn't very fast, people would still clamor for its release to determine for themselves... then people would want some effort put in to optimize it "just a little bit" to make it useful.
    Carmels likes this.
    06-28-13 12:50 PM

This why you never convince and only recommend. Inform and let people make an educated decision for themselves! Then you wouldn't be cleaning yourself off.
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    06-28-13 01:06 PM
    They should do that.

Do which one of the options mentioned?
    06-28-13 01:11 PM

1. Continue to port as much BB10 over to the PlayBook as feasible so that it's more functional. Release it at some point, but do not make any announcements or promises. Just do it. If devs find code blocks, let people speculate and post rumors, but don't say anything.

2. Drop development completely and release the bootloader and device drivers so that devs can port Android (or any other OS) over. This, of course, will be a problem with existing support contracts BlackBerry might have with companies/institutions where they're bound to deliver a secure tablet. However, when the last contract expires, they should release this info.

3. Offer a trade-up. One registered PlayBook serial number gains the owner $100-$200 off the price of a Z10 or Q10. The owner gets to keep his/her PlayBook. The owner doesn't feel like the PlayBook was a complete loss and BlackBerry may still move more inventory, of PlayBooks, Z10's and Q10's.

4. ???

I see option 2 and 3 out the window already, you're not going to run support on open source development you have no control over and giving cash/credit back for a previously purchase and used product is a brutal business decision. Would make the company look even more desperate to retain users.

Option #1 would be the best compromise. I'm not disappointed with the PB OS as is now but if you can port over some BB10 functionality as well as bring back some bridge functions I'd be happier then a pig in ****!
    06-28-13 01:12 PM
    This why you never convince and only recommend. Inform and let people make an educated decision for themselves! Then you wouldn't be cleaning yourself off.
    Totally agree with you. It is always the best way to go.
    06-28-13 01:13 PM
    I'll keep copying and pasting this same post of mine.

They need to come out with a press interview to community heads cb,berryreview,bbe etc.Why they cant do BB10 on the playbook, are they gonna update the current PB with a diet version, or anything??

If they tell the truth people would'nt be so mad,just tell the truth.If they say another playbook will come out no one will buy it.Since there's no assurance they will look after it.Even if they smooth things over and announce a tablet with no discount,rebate or good price for previous owners they are screwed.Its already a niche product they could of sold it on their web site and shipped it out made decent earner.Now NO ONE will invest in any BB product outside the phones.

They need to address things with statements out ASAP!!!
    Yup, unfortunately BlackBerry seems to do everything wrong when it comes to PR. CEO Heins could have indicated they would be upgrading the browser, bridge, and maybe something like allowing the usb to be used with memory sticks, etc. But it sounds like they probably don't have any of that ready or coming in the near future. Sounded more like BlackBerry's foray into the tablet market is now over and won't be revived.
    06-28-13 01:16 PM

4. ???

This is a great post. I think option 2 would be great because we have a group of very talented individuals around here that would do wonders with it. This would open the door for an entrepreneurial effort by them as well if they choose to take it to that level.
    06-28-13 01:18 PM

4. ???

I like them all, just don't see any of them happening.

I like to see Bridge funtions with a BB10 device restored. And the ability to "sideload" BB10 apps....if we can get Android Apps working on the PlayBook, why can't we get BB10 Apps.
    06-28-13 02:40 PM

Learn to walk the middle line next time. The pain/shame sucks but not to say that you are, a bias doesn't usually work out well.

I leave people with objective opinions while being careful as not to add my own bits their decision making.

Sent from my iPhone4S after my Z10 took a trip in the bowl
    06-28-13 02:45 PM
    I have been writing on blackberrys forum for years to just be honest. They're now I'm my books one of the worst manufacturers for telling the truth. I simply can't believe I've spent what I have on their products in hope. I.wont be fooled again

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 03:35 PM
    Double post
    06-28-13 03:36 PM
    The very first thing in such situation is to apologise. Did Herr Heins apologise? I didn't hear that.
    06-28-13 03:57 PM
    Leaked copy of policy document regarding what Blackberry should do next with the Playbook.
    Attached Thumbnails PlayBook, moving forward from here...-pcfv01p10_15.jpg  
    FF22, dphjeff, kbz1960 and 2 others like this.
    06-28-13 04:04 PM
    Since the company is now losing money and will be losing money in he foreseeable future, it has to stem the bleeding and drop what does not make money and the PlayBook has unfortunately been a money loser in spite of the technical success.

I will continue to use and enjoy my PlayBooks but now consider the product abandoned with minimal support, no updates and no upgrades.

Overall, I don't expect the company to survive in its current form. I don't know if it will shrink to a niche market or if it ends up getting broken up and sold in parts to unlock remaining value for shareholders. It's too bad the shorts have won, but that's business.
    Last edited by Enyigma; 06-30-13 at 07:24 PM.
    06-28-13 04:05 PM
    Since the company is now losing money and will be losing money in he foreseeable future, it has to stem the bleeding and drop what does not make money and the PlayBook has unfortunately been a money loser in spite of the technical success.

I will continue to use and enjoy my PlayBooks but now consider the product abandoned with no support, no updates and no upgrades.

Overall, I don't expect the company to survive in its current form. I don't know if it will shrink to a niche market or if it ends up getting broken up and sold in parts to unlock remaining value for shareholders. It's too bad the shorts have won, but that's business.
    I agree. I think any upgrade to the pb has as much chance of happening as bb10 still coming. They do not have money and they won't be making a lot more. With BB10, they've given up their cut of money data charges. Obviously, there's still a lot of bis out there but it will get less and less. What's ironic is that with the end of BIS, they've enhanced carriers data stream because there's less compression and folks are using more data now.
    dphjeff likes this.
    06-28-13 08:21 PM
    I personally can't see how they are loosing money with 6.8 million devices sold in the first quarter. You can't tell me the the Z10 and Q10 cost $700.00 to produce (there not that great). Something is wrong with this picture.
    06-28-13 08:34 PM
    My guess is Thor said tablets will be dead in 5 years, they can't compete etc. They want nothing to do with it any longer. They will not be making another tablet so why would they even bother just to get it on a dead product?

The OP's 3rd option could unruffled some feathers but the whole delay it is coming etc. has burnt a lot of people including me. Option 3 might change my mind if they are no longer having serious issues with the phones and updates start happening faster and they quit saying things they pretty much know isn't going to happen.
    06-28-13 08:40 PM
    I choose option #3. And the discount should be applied to ANY device that BlackBerry currently offers at the time.
    06-28-13 08:51 PM
    They should do that.

They should, but they will not.
    06-28-13 08:53 PM
29 12