"Heins said critics arent seeing the bigger picture, as PlayBook was never meant to be simply a tablet. He said PlayBook has been designed as a mobile computing platform that will be offered to QNXs global list of clients in various industries."

Read more: RIM shifts BlackBerry development work to Ottawa
    01-27-12 06:52 PM
    I've been saying that since day 1....even before I purchased one. The PB is a professional grade mobile PC....everything else is just a tablet.
    01-27-12 06:58 PM
    I've been saying that since day 1....even before I purchased one. The PB is a professional grade mobile PC....everything else is just a tablet.
    Totally Agree!
    01-27-12 07:04 PM
    The more i experiment with the pb, the more impressed i am with all it does. it is a computer, and with the improvements coming with os2, it will be even more productive and powerful. The guys at work constantly give me grief about my "note pad" as we are heading to meetings, but as i take notes over bridge, i am setting up tasks and appointments at the same time. when i walk out of the meeting everything is done. On top of that, i am pulling up docs, answering questions, researching manuals all at the same time so that when the meeting is over, we try and leave informed, and not having to go research items for yet another meeting.
    My using the pb at work has inspired others to bring their ipads into work as well, but so far as i have seen, the pb has outpaced them on everything. this is an awesome product.
    01-27-12 07:30 PM
    imagine employees, instead of carrying a laptop, they carry a playbook. when they reach the office, they put the playbook on a docking station which will offer hdmi to vga, bluetooth mouse and keyboard. then they bring up office applications and mail app. multitasking no sweat. they undock the playbook and go for lunch while using the pb surfing the net, back to work and back to the docking station. 5 pm they undock the pb and go home with it. i think this is not so hard to materialize.
    01-27-12 07:35 PM
    X100 !! Same for me. I didn't have my first one until September and from the start it was purchased for myself and then to convince my company to adopt them, primarily for business and technical use. Which we now use it for. Successfully I might add. I'm excited for the future of the PB and RIM in general.
    01-27-12 07:35 PM
    Agreed, I will be spending 3 weeks in TN for work. All of my emails will be handled thru my playbook. Blackberry needs to market this is not a Droid. RIM does not spy on its users like Google and Droid. Right there is solid marketing.
    Playbook a pocket PC that doesn't spy on you.
    01-27-12 07:40 PM
    Agreed, I will be spending 3 weeks in TN for work. All of my emails will be handled thru my playbook. Blackberry needs to market this is not a Droid. RIM does not spy on its users like Google and Droid. Right there is solid marketing.
    Playbook a pocket PC that doesn't spy on you.

What a great advert slogan.
    hpjrt and jafobabe like this.
    01-27-12 07:43 PM
    QNX is ahead of the 7" tablet market for sure.

RIM on the other hand are behind, if they can quickly integrate the Services, Apps, OS, Phone and Tablet hardware they will have a structure good enough to rival the other fruit.
    01-27-12 07:54 PM
    And it will! RIM might have dropped a ball with Marketing and the eco system, but they are making up for it now.
    Fruit had a hard row to go in the beginning too, and it amazes me how the consumer had selective memory about that.
    hpjrt likes this.
    01-27-12 08:05 PM
    imagine employees, instead of carrying a laptop, they carry a playbook. when they reach the office, they put the playbook on a docking station which will offer hdmi to vga, bluetooth mouse and keyboard. then they bring up office applications and mail app. multitasking no sweat. they undock the playbook and go for lunch while using the pb surfing the net, back to work and back to the docking station. 5 pm they undock the pb and go home with it. i think this is not so hard to materialize.
    Here is an interesting evaluation of that possibility, by Pat Moorhead at AMD:
    BlackBerry PlayBook as Modular Desktop Workspace | Home Blog
    I set out to test the BlackBerry PlayBook in my personal work environment as my primary deskside compute device, or what I am calling my Desktop Workspace. To be fair, this isnt what RIM is intending for the product, but when you enable a mouse, you are asking for users to try it out. And with so many people pontificating about the value of PC versus the tablet its an interesting test.

Here is a link to Mr. Moorhead's other posts about the PlayBook from shortly after its release. They are pretty favorable reviews (no, the PlayBook wasn't panned by all reviewers).
    PlayBook | Home Blog
    01-27-12 08:22 PM
    My PB has all but replaced my laptop. It really is all I need. Of course, there are a few things like video editing that I wouldn't want to do on any tablet, but for normal everyday use the PB rocks.
    hpjrt and jafobabe like this.
    01-27-12 08:31 PM
    My pb has almost replaced my laptop. icing on the cake was splashtop, now i can leave my laptop home and still access it for that rare thing that cannot be done on my beloved PB.
    collapsed likes this.
    01-27-12 08:53 PM
    The Playbook and QNX OS are not really up to serious office applications, at present. On the other hand, there have long been Windows "convertible" tablets that can be used quite nicely that way. Of course, they tend to be a lot larger than a Playbook. Currently, if I wanted a "slate" tablet capable of running serious office software, it would be something like the Fujitsu STYLISTIC Q550 10.1" (Windows 7).
    01-27-12 10:36 PM
    Ive told everyone i know exactly this.

Ive been doing union negotiations for my work and just imagine all the different types of programs and file types that have to be used for that... not to mention all the paper.

Well, with my Playbook I can do everything with one device and save A LOT of paper.

WINNING!
    01-27-12 10:57 PM
    "Heins said critics arent seeing the bigger picture, as PlayBook was never meant to be simply a tablet. He said PlayBook has been designed as a mobile computing platform that will be offered to QNXs global list of clients in various industries."

Read more: RIM shifts BlackBerry development work to Ottawa
    It's disappointing that Heins doesn't understand that, to successfully compete with other tablets, the Playbook does have to make it as "simply a tablet," in addition to whatever other vision RIM has for it. With all his talk about the role QNX plays in various automotive systems, I'm also not sure he understands RIM really dropped the ball when it brought QNX out as a tablet OS but failed to give it the massive, immediate support needed to popularize a new OS.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-27-12 11:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD