Well here is the one I was talking about

Netter's Anatomy Atlas for iPad on the iTunes App Store

apparently its 90 dollars, I couldn't find the iPod/iPhone version but this iPad version is 90 dollars

Last time I checked (quite a while ago) I saw the iPod/iPhone version was 39.99, although maybe that has changed.

Here's is a GREAT demo of how the PlayBook can be used in a medical setting, to be quite honest this implementation would actually help out a lot in the hospital I've worked at as a cooperative education student and volunteer.

04-30-12 11:14 AM
    no word on epocrates?
    04-30-12 11:27 AM
    no word on epocrates?
    Tried it in the previous android runtime (2.0.0.56) and it didn't work, crashes a lot.

Haven't tried it yet in the new android runtime (2.0.1.30)
    04-30-12 11:29 AM
    cant believe epocrates has not made it to the playbook. Playbook is so much easier to carry cuz of its size..perfect for a dr.
    04-30-12 11:44 AM
    is not the $ is the convenience. I could care less what other interns, residents and Docs are using. I own an iPad and it is huge.
    04-30-12 11:46 AM
    Good luck in med school - you are going to need it!
    He goes against the grain, we need more students like this in medical school
    hpjrt and LewLew23 like this.
    04-30-12 12:30 PM
    Medscape published an article few weeks back saying mobile iOS penetration of doctors is 30-50%. That's huge, obviously, and carries its own prestige and momentum. When it comes to work (or school), I try to set aside whatever fanboy tendencies I have and focus on getting the work done. No question that Apple is dominating the medical field right now, and it's up to RIM and developers to change that. There's a reason I kept my ipod touch and use it side by side with the playbook. But the playbook has its own advantages, yes including price, yes including portability, multitasking, etc.

The playbook is in some ways better suited to the medical setting than the ipad. RIM should focus on medical, if for no other reason than because hardware expenses in medicine can always be shifted to corporate and government - which also means bulk purchasing - there are constantly resources being put into new tech, and finally because the medical environment is subject to regulatory pressure (read: security) in ways that the ipad was not designed to deal with, but which the playbook is.

If I were RIM and I wanted to compete with ipad in medical, I would put together presentations demonstrating how patient data can be hacked off the ipad, what regulatory and legal penalties such an event may force on health providers and their employers, and how all that risk could be eliminated by switching to playbook. Of course, they would also need to have all the right apps in place by then, and no doubt apple would fight back by boosting security, but at least RIM could get a foot in the door.

Goku... I saw that app, but there are so many netter apps for iOS with seemingly overlapping content that I never know which one I should get + some of them force you into in-app purchases for additional modules.
    04-30-12 12:40 PM
    He goes against the grain, we need more students like this in medical school
    I see what Psych is saying, though. There is a lot of conformance and performance pressure in med school and technology just makes it worse. When everyone, including the professor, can open the same app and see the same content... except YOU, because you just had to be different... that kinda sucks. But what really hurts is that there is probably no similar app on playbook, so not only are you different, but a loser to boot. Maybe it won't affect your grades, but why take the chance? We shouldn't have to.

I'm glad I got the playbook (just last week), and I'm excited at its potential, but I wouldn't advise it to fellow med students who don't already have an iOS product they can lean on while playbook gets better.
    04-30-12 12:59 PM
    Hi Guys

Slightly off topic - but I wondered if you could help....

I have been helping my (very experienced) physiotherapists set up the technology for their expanding business - they are now using PlayBooks to manage their calendar appointments via two gmail accounts (which has saved them a fortune as they don't need a Receptionist)

When the Physios wanted to review my MRI Scans (a tale of degenerative disc disease woe....), we had to use a laptop - however, one of my best friends (General Medical Consultant) can view my MRI Scans on her iPad

I would like to be able to set up the Physio's with DICOM viewers on their PlayBooks, along with a structured Image Repository on their server

Do you know if there is a DICOM Reader/Viewer for the PlayBook? I have looked and cannot find any. A company advertises DICOM-AVC as working on iPad, Android & PlayBook - but I cannot find it in AppWorld (maybe I am searching on the wrong criteria?)

Any help gratefully received

Thanks, Alex
    04-30-12 01:39 PM
    Agree - Playbook as a device is better suited to medical environments. But, it is already much too late. Iphone & Ipad have already taken over. All the resources are in place and being used world-wide.

Independent practice affords some, but limited, leeway. "Going against the grain" does not survive in med school.
    The point I'm trying to make is that many people, including those in the field of medicine, see it just as specific profession related to the cure of illness. Although this is indeed false. There is much more to medicine than this. I'm not saying ignore the practices associated with evidence based medicine and so forth but when you have a bunch of people trained to think a certain way, react a certain way, and preform a certain way then you ignore the possibility of handling cases that fall out of the "textbook" if you know what I mean
    rotorwrench likes this.
    04-30-12 01:51 PM
    When the Physios wanted to review my MRI Scans (a tale of degenerative disc disease woe....), we had to use a laptop - however, one of my best friends (General Medical Consultant) can view my MRI Scans on her iPad

I would like to be able to set up the Physio's with DICOM viewers on their PlayBooks, along with a structured Image Repository on their server

Do you know if there is a DICOM Reader/Viewer for the PlayBook? I have looked and cannot find any. A company advertises DICOM-AVC as working on iPad, Android & PlayBook - but I cannot find it in AppWorld (maybe I am searching on the wrong criteria?)

Any help gratefully received

Thanks, Alex
    Alex, you're looking for the app Goku was talking about earlier, when he put up a link to youtube. It's called "eUnity" and its available in AppWorld. The app itself is free, but it requires an eUnity Server setup, which probably costs something. A cheaper option may be to run a virtual desktop on the Playbooks, so that you can use whatever DICOM viewer they're using on their main computer directly, but I haven't played much with virtual desktops, so I'm not sure if that will work well.

Edit: By the way, Alex, I've been avoiding syncing my Gmail account (email, calendar, contacts) with the Playbook, but after I just read your comment I decided to try. It took one minute and works flawlessly. The calendar is actually easier to navigate and use in Playbook than in actual html on a desktop.
    Last edited by victorshikhman; 04-30-12 at 02:25 PM. Reason: new info
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-30-12 02:02 PM
    Has anyone tried using the "Printing To Go" feature from the Desktop? The one that lets you print stuff and it automatically puts a PDF on your Blackberry Playbook?

You could open up any of the Medical Text Book PDF's and use the "Print to Go" feature:

BlackBerry - Print To Go

It will put a PDF file directly on your Playbook without even having to connect it to your computer. That may also correct the formatting issues or compression/size problems. I realize that this is converting a PDF to another PDF, but maybe that conversion makes it run smoother once it gets on the Playbook and strips any extra info that may slow things down and makes the file smaller.
    04-30-12 02:16 PM
    Has anyone tried using the "Printing To Go" feature from the Desktop? The one that lets you print stuff and it automatically puts a PDF on your Blackberry Playbook?

You could open up any of the Medical Text Book PDF's and use the "Print to Go" feature:

BlackBerry - Print To Go

It will put a PDF file directly on your Playbook without even having to connect it to your computer. That may also correct the formatting issues or compression/size problems. I realize that this is converting a PDF to another PDF, but maybe that conversion makes it run smoother once it gets on the Playbook and strips any extra info that may slow things down and makes the file smaller.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...behind-706815/

Loving the print to go feature. It turned out to be a lot more convenient and useful than what the initial impression of the application portrayed it to be.
    mkanaman likes this.
    04-30-12 03:21 PM
    Our next release is going to bring some sweet speed improvements in loading docs and scrolling through them. We're finishing up testing this week and it should be released in the next week or so (plus BB's turnaround to processing the update to market after that). I'm pretty excited about it and can't wait to see what everyone thinks about it!

The options are already there, but they're all small-time developers with products that won't really be mature for another 6-12 months. This is why all the people moaning about paying for apps are so wrong - if big companies like Adobe who control universal, work-critical applications pull out of playbook, we NEED to sustain the small developers by paying for their apps, because without them we simply won't have that vital functionality.

I WANT book reader and qpdf to work in ways that Adobe's native, abandoned reader never will. So far, qpdf is too laggy for me to use. Whether they can fix that, or Book Reader can bring on PDF support first (or did Igor do it already?)... that's who will earn my allegiance.
    05-02-12 03:04 PM
    Our next release is going to bring some sweet speed improvements in loading docs and scrolling through them. We're finishing up testing this week and it should be released in the next week or so (plus BB's turnaround to processing the update to market after that). I'm pretty excited about it and can't wait to see what everyone thinks about it!
    YES!! I'm so glad I waited patiently with this playbook!

Is this app using cascades?
    05-02-12 05:34 PM
    Agree - Playbook as a device is better suited to medical environments. But, it is already much too late. Iphone & Ipad have already taken over. All the resources are in place and being used world-wide.

Independent practice affords some, but limited, leeway. "Going against the grain" does not survive in med school.
    Not taken over. A clinic here and the Trauma Unit at our hospital now use PBs. The ER doctor I talked to about it said they use them because a sister hospital in NYC started using them and recommended the PB. They have been very pleased with their performance and are looking to trial them in their ICU. My niece is in nursing school and has seen them in use by students and doctors there.
    hpjrt likes this.
    05-02-12 06:26 PM
    Not taken over. A clinic here and the Trauma Unit at our hospital now use PBs. The ER doctor I talked to about it said they use them because a sister hospital in NYC started using them and recommended the PB. They have been very pleased with their performance and are looking to trial them in their ICU. My niece is in nursing school and has seen them in use by students and doctors there.
    Yep it's a split, there is no "general issue" here as well, to each their own (each being hospital in this case). I'm wondering if either the PlayBook, or the iPad for that matter will become standard issue. I know here in Canada we have what we call the LHINs (Local Health Integrated Networks) which are comprised of a certain number of hospitals in a geographical range. Our LHINs also have "subdivisions" for regional hospitals, mine being the William Osler Health Centre (now known as the William Osler Health System). Lets say if WOHC decides to implement the PlayBook (or iPad), other LHINs might take notice if it becomes effective. I guess it'll be a long while before there is a general standard issue for all hospitals, sometimes they can be slow to adopt new technology, and the staff isn't always happy to give their old tools for newer ones.
    05-02-12 09:17 PM
    Very much looking forward to that update, Karen! Thank you for letting us know. It couldn't be coming at a better time for me.
    05-03-12 11:08 AM
    The best anatomy app I've see to date is nettler's guide to human anatomy. Hands down the best anatomy app you could come across. The bad news, right now it seems like an iOS exclusive application. But dang is it ever useful. Medscape is still a solid app which runs on the playbook very well so no complaints there . If we get some good quality anatomy apps I seriously think the playbook is a great tablet if not the perfect tablet out in the field. The size, plus the apps when that selection improves, the multitasking, the security and so forth. As a side note, I've heard that two pharmaceutical firms have picked up the playbook for testing. Hopefully if all goes well perhaps we might see some further adoption in the medical field.
    I see Nettler's available in BBAW for my BlackBerry. Is it now available for the PlayBook?

If so, I'm getting it. Thanks.
    05-03-12 11:48 AM
    My local provider is approx. 200 providers (my wife is one). They were going to impliment IPAD's, but have been having security issues. It would be a great time for RIM to make a move. I have sent numerous emails and tried various means to contact RIM sales, but can not find an avenue to get anyone to listen.

Any suggestions.
    05-03-12 11:51 AM
    I see Nettler's available in BBAW for my BlackBerry. Is it now available for the PlayBook?

If so, I'm getting it. Thanks.
    I haven't seen it yet for the PlayBook, it seems like the old version I was using is no longer available, I never heard of the developer company either, the version I used was never made by Skyscape.

Nonetheless you have intrigued me enough to think about checking it out.

My local provider is approx. 200 providers (my wife is one). They were going to impliment IPAD's, but have been having security issues. It would be a great time for RIM to make a move. I have sent numerous emails and tried various means to contact RIM sales, but can not find an avenue to get anyone to listen.

Any suggestions.

You might want to contact the RIM Public Relations department.

Scroll down to "Media Contacts" Not sure how much help that will be but hey it's a start right?

RIM News - Research In Motion Newsroom
    Chrisy likes this.
    05-03-12 12:00 PM

Any suggestions.
    I'll ask the the Adm. I met in my clinic if a rep is willing to talk with another provider about their security issues, that being one of the reasons they too chose the PB. No other tablets passed their security and network requirements. Most people don't realize that security for medical records is a very serious matter, as well confidentiality issues.
    05-03-12 12:13 PM
    Would also love a coding app for PlayBook! Hurry BlackBerry 10!
    05-03-12 02:51 PM
    I'll ask the the Adm. I met in my clinic if a rep is willing to talk with another provider about their security issues, that being one of the reasons they too chose the PB. No other tablets passed their security and network requirements. Most people don't realize that security for medical records is a very serious matter, as well confidentiality issues.
    Well said, even if you breach the confidentiality agreement and you're not at the same institution you could face legal issues. I'm curious as to why the Galaxy Tab wasn't also suitable, don't get me wrong, I'm an avid BlackBerry Fan but the Galaxy Tab is also FIPS certified.
    05-03-12 02:58 PM
    Hi Karen,

I updated my qPDF through appworld, but it doesn't open for me, it gets stuck on the black android player screen
    05-07-12 11:18 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD