Hi everyone,

My PlayBook has been relegated to use as a media player over HDMI to my TV for a while now. I didn't want to part with it.
    It also comes in handy as a web browser when I connect to it using bridge on my Z10.

Since we are not going to get anything significant in the way of updates going forward I thought it was time to consider a change.

I was hoping we would get the new android runtime and maybe then get to use XBMC on the PlayBook but I cant see that happening now.

I have been considering giving the OUYA a go, and my local Game store will give me some money off the OUYA by trading in my old tech. I was then going to install XBMC on the OUYA and also give their games platform a try.

Anyone out there already own an OUYA? or any other suggestions on a replacement for my media player?

Thanks
    04-01-14 07:33 AM
    would kalemsoft not do what you want?
    04-01-14 09:03 AM
    A cheap quad core rooted and rom'd android tab and a Chromecast. XBMC and a lot more for about $150.00.
    04-01-14 09:07 AM
    A cheap quad core rooted and rom'd android tab and a Chromecast. XBMC and a lot more for about $150.00.
    I have a Nexus 7 2012 - so I might consider this route.

I still find the OUYA appealing as its something new to try and I wonder what games are on the platform.
    04-01-14 09:47 AM
    Having not really paid much attention to Chromecast, does it only stream from the web or can you beam content from your Android device to it directly?
    04-01-14 09:51 AM
    would kalemsoft not do what you want?
    I'm looking to ditch the PlayBook now, I really have moved on from it. Had it got BB10 it might have been a different story.
    04-01-14 09:52 AM
    Having not really paid much attention to Chromecast, does it only stream from the web or can you beam content from your Android device to it directly?
    Yes you can run local and LAN with Chromecast. It is only limited by certain formats that it supports but the Plex app can be used for transcoding. There is an app called Cast Store that will list all the chromecast compatible apps in app store.
    04-01-14 09:58 AM
    Yes you can run local and LAN with Chromecast. It is only limited by certain formats that it supports but the Plex app can be used for transcoding. There is an app called Cast Store that will list all the chromecast compatible apps in app store.
    One last question, is the Chromecast left untouched or does that need rooted and a new ROM loaded too?
    04-01-14 09:59 AM
    One last question, is the Chromecast left untouched or does that need rooted and a new ROM loaded too?
    just the tablet. I prefer having root but you don't need to root it to work with chromecast. Rooting is only needed for xbmc so you can access the root file menu and add a casting app like Avia as the default media player. So far MX Player, VLC etc. do not support chromecast. Plex would work without root but you have to buy the app.
    04-01-14 10:01 AM
    just the tablet. I prefer having root but you don't need to root it to work with chromecast. Rooting is only needed for xbmc so you can access the root file menu and add a casting app like Avia as the default media player. So far MX Player, VLC etc. do not support chromecast. Plex would work without root but you have to buy the app.
    I have not played with rooting android since gingerbread but this could be fun

Still open to any input / experience anyone has of owning an OUYA though!
    04-01-14 10:06 AM
    I have a Nexus 7 2012 - so I might consider this route.

I still find the OUYA appealing as its something new to try and I wonder what games are on the platform.
    WhT version of Android are you running ln your Nexus 7? Plenth of apps for Chromecast in Google Play Store. To stream from your device you need Chrome browser. At one time a third party had enabled this with an app for nonrooted N7 but Googledisaabled that with an update. Gooe may have reenabled it now.
    04-01-14 10:25 AM
    WhT version of Android are you running ln your Nexus 7? Plenth of apps for Chromecast in Google Play Store. To stream from your device you need Chrome browser. At one time a third party had enabled this with an app for nonrooted N7 but Googledisaabled that with an update. Gooe may have reenabled it now.
    You don't need chrome browser, although they did release a beta that works with chromecast from the tablet. The chrome browser you are speaking of is needed for casting from a computer, not a tablet.

Lots of apps allow playing of local media from a tablet, but yes you still need chrome browser to do so from a computer.
    04-01-14 10:29 AM
    Just the official ROM, think we are up to 4.4.2. I have been giving Twonky Beam a go over DLNA to my (2010) Sony TV and (2012) Panasonic Blu-Ray. Its good but not great.
    04-01-14 10:36 AM
    I got an OUYA the other day, works great for the things you've described, but it also works great for games with the built in BT controller. I'd say better than a PB, at least for me. It also has more power than the PB, and does Plex without a hitch (and I've tried XBMC on it too but not too much testing as I prefer Plex).

Short version: If you want just the media center, than the PB could work, but an OUYA from Gamestop refurb cost me $70 the other day, and is better for games at a distance.
    codiak likes this.
    04-01-14 11:21 AM
    I got an OUYA the other day, works great for the things you've described, but it also works great for games with the built in BT controller. I'd say better than a PB, at least for me. It also has more power than the PB, and does Plex without a hitch (and I've tried XBMC on it too but not too much testing as I prefer Plex).

Short version: If you want just the media center, than the PB could work, but an OUYA from Gamestop refurb cost me $70 the other day, and is better for games at a distance.
    Well I'm pleased to find someone who has an OUYA! the deal I am looking �89.99 which comes with a �10 OUYA credit to spend in their store. What sort of games do they have on there?
    04-01-14 11:29 AM
    OUYA is absolute garbage. Don't even bother. The games are horrible and the box is clunky
    04-01-14 11:32 AM
    Well I'm pleased to find someone who has an OUYA! the deal I am looking �89.99 which comes with a �10 OUYA credit to spend in their store. What sort of games do they have on there?
    Indie games really. One that I right away was:
    https://www.ouya.tv/game/BombSquad/

DubWars is good too
    https://www.ouya.tv/game/DubWars

And The Ball looks good:
    https://www.ouya.tv/game/The-Ball

It can also do emulators pretty well. No issues with N64 running (Mupen has some graphical glitches, but not slowdowns). Also easy to root/sideload apps on too.

OUYA is absolute garbage. Don't even bother. The games are horrible and the box is clunky
    With specific examples like that, it's a wonder that anyone still uses it! I'll make sure I don't play any of the games I used to enjoy before your insightful expos� on the world of OUYA!
    codiak likes this.
    04-01-14 11:58 AM
    I was wanting XBMC as that's the platform I used to run emulators off.

This is something I really want back.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 12:03 PM
    Can you expand on that?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 12:04 PM
    I was wanting XBMC as that's the platform I used to run emulators off.

This is something I really want back.

Posted via CB10
    XBMC works, as do emulators. I don't know how they work together, as I use Plex, and my Emulators are on the OUYA itself (which I might suggest over in XBMC as they're native apps they might run better without having XBMC's weight in the background).
    Last edited by bobbob1016; 04-01-14 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added the ')'
    codiak likes this.
    04-01-14 12:19 PM

Only BlackBerry fans and PlayBook owners would ever consider buying a failed product like the OUYA. I have to say I laughed a little when I read your title. God bless Playbook lovers and BB enthusiasts, you never fail to entertain.
    04-01-14 12:32 PM
    Can you expand on that?

Posted via CB10
    More then one controller it has lag. Never been fixed, games are often low quality junk.

Works as an emulator and half arsed xbmc.

Raspberry pi can run circles around it!
    04-01-14 12:38 PM
    I have been using an ouya since july for games and as a media center. Xbmc works well and sideloading android apps like netflix and dropbox is easy to do without even needing to root. the games are great for casual players. I have bought more than 30 games and play almost exclusively on ouya, though I do own an xbox360. you can check out the games on ouya.tv in the games section. I have gotten 2 of my friends to buy the system and they both love it as much as I do. also, if you like to tinker with tech this is a nice box to tinker on. one thing though, the wifi antenna isn't great, so I would recommend hooking it up with an ethernet cable.
    bobbob1016 and codiak like this.
    04-01-14 12:49 PM
    Only BlackBerry fans and PlayBook owners would ever consider buying a failed product like the OUYA. I have to say I laughed a little when I read your title. God bless Playbook lovers and BB enthusiasts, you never fail to entertain.
    Ah, so troll thread?

More then one controller it has lag. Never been fixed, games are often low quality junk.

Works as an emulator and half arsed xbmc.

Raspberry pi can run circles around it!
    Huh, my controller doesn't lag. I guess this could be the new "My controller is broken!" that the losing player used to say when I played SSMB. The Pi is a one core at 700mhz, overclockable to 1ghz. The OUYA is over 2ghz and a Quad Core. So... Your math doesn't add up. I like my Pi, but still.
    04-01-14 01:05 PM
    I believe the controller lag has now been corrected, it was poor firmware in the controllers. You can get new ones for free if you contact support if you happen to have one of these older models.

I do appreciate the input people

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 02:02 PM
28 12