I came across this review on engaged BlackBerry PlayBook 4G LTE hands-on. I know it is "older" review and it was discussed here before but I am wondering if anyone here actually has or had both and compared them side by side. I am particularly curious about Android Player and Android Apps. Many android apps do work on Playbook but performance wise leave a lot to be desired. Lets take as an example "Flipboard" or "Dolphin". both work perfectly fine on playbook (aside from lack of flash on Dolphin) but performance is so,so. The same apps on Nexus 7 are just flying. I am not sure if this is good example though because say if the same app is run on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 the performance is not as fluent as on Nexus 7. Anyways, my question is did anyone actually had opportunity to compare both LTE and WIFI Playbooks and elaborate more on performance differences between the two. is it noticeable, perhaps neglectable ? It would be great to see them side by side and see some results.
    12-18-12 12:40 PM
    For the Google Android applications to run on the BlackBerry PlayBook required Research In Motion to develop an emulation layer which they call the BlackBerry Android Player. Every emulator will have a performance impact on the applications running within the emulator. At best the application runs at the same speed from the user's perspective as in the native environment, but more often it is the case that the same application does run appreciably slower within the emulator when compared to its performance in the native environment. It is simply the nature of emulation.
    12-18-12 01:03 PM
    For the Google Android applications to run on the BlackBerry PlayBook required Research In Motion to develop an emulation layer which they call the BlackBerry Android Player. Every emulator will have a performance impact on the applications running within the emulator. At best the application runs at the same speed from the user's perspective as in the native environment, but more often it is the case that the same application does run appreciably slower within the emulator when compared to its performance in the native environment. It is simply the nature of emulation.
    Yes I agree with you but how much better is it on Playbook LTE ? My thought is that Playbook has 1Ghz Dual Core Cpu. The review mentions that 1.5Ghz does give performance boost and apps run faster. But how much faster ? I am also wondering about upcoming BB10 phone. With Quadcore CPU this phone should be able to run Android Player so fast that there will be no performance difference say between Nexus 4 and BB10 phone running same apps ? is my logic correct ?
    12-18-12 01:11 PM