Hi,

I already have a playbook, and I'm debating getting one for a family member. What gives me pause is that I cannot stream this site:

http://rt.com/on-air/rt-america-air/
    Adobe Flash 11.8.8

I have had little use for live streaming before now, so: Is there a list of known live tv channels/sites that work well with PB? Any experiences to report?

I would rather have my family member stick with my blackberry ecosystem if I can get sufficient usability for the person to watch one's preferred media content (e.g., "Breaking Bad") when no cable service is available, etc. Any advice is appreciated, and

Thanks!!
    09-28-13 07:04 PM
    try origami browser. for rt on air.
    stock browser or fas browser did not work
    09-28-13 07:26 PM
    stock browser or fasbrowser did not work
    Origami browser and you might look at tubeplus.com, lots of recent shows there.

C
    09-28-13 07:29 PM
    I've had pretty good luck working with streaming content and the PlayBook browser. As for this RT site, it works fine here.

Have you enabled Flash in the browser's settings? (Settings > Content > Enable Flash)

PlayBook and live streaming: current usability-pb_rt.jpg
    blucie likes this.
    09-28-13 07:30 PM
    ==wxmancanada==
    As for this RT site, it works fine here.
    ===============

Hmm... I get -- after a long wait:

"The media is loading very slowly. It may not be possible to play it with the current network connection"

A quick speed test gives me 5.7Mbps, and on a PC the flash applet gives options for Auto, 720p, 360p, and 240p, etc. Does the PB default to the highest speed?

Then, after clicking "Wait" I get

"There was an error decoding this media. The media format may not be supported"

Flash is on, I have the very latest os update etc...

=====blucie=====
    stock browser or fas browser did not work
    ===============
    Origami does what your screenshot does, putting the media in the top left corner. But even that does not work except very intermittently. Then

"There was an error receiving video data. The server may have stopped sending. Please try to restart the video or restart the network connection"

Then,

"There was an error decoding this media. The media format may not be supported."

OR

"Error Loading media: File could not be played."

Thanks for replying and I look forward to any other guidance!
    09-28-13 08:27 PM
    What's your connection method? Are you on WiFi?

My test was via WiFi, I can assume if you were trying this over bridge it would fail.
    09-28-13 08:40 PM
    You can try this site for international tv: wwiTV - World Wide Internet TeleVision.

For RT scroll down on the left side to Russian Federation. The RT America link may work for you.

Reminder to anyone trying the tv sites on this link is that a lot won't work on the Playbook. The Playbook doesn't support Silverlight so those stations will need to be accessed on other devices.
    09-28-13 09:10 PM
    What's your connection method? Are you on WiFi?

My test was via WiFi, I can assume if you were trying this over bridge it would fail.
    Direct WiFi via my home router, no bridge...

But that gives me a thought: Maybe the router is the issue (although it was top of the line 2 years ago when I bought it and it sits right next to me where I'm testing things). But my PC, from where I run my speed tests, plugs directly into the router.
    09-28-13 09:17 PM
    Using your PlayBook, can you run a speed test at Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test and let us know the results?
    09-28-13 09:28 PM
    Using your PlayBook, can you run a speed test at Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test and let us know the results?
    The link does not support playbook.
    09-29-13 12:29 AM
    Sooooo, type in "s p e e d t e s t . n e t" and press Enter? Google "speedtest"?

Works fine on my PlayBook. And the girlfriends. And my colleagues. And my neighbors. And my... well, you get the idea.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 12:33 AM
    sideload speed test
    Creaulx likes this.
    09-29-13 01:17 AM
    Or, you could support a native app developer by installing Speedtest HD, a free app in app world.

PlayBook and live streaming: current usability-img_20130592.jpg

PlayBook and live streaming: current usability-img_20130593.jpg
    Creaulx likes this.
    09-29-13 02:46 AM
    Hi,

Ookla works here, although it took a little while to load the test. I did a few tests, here is a range:

download: 4.39mpbs -- 5.28mbps
    upload: 1.03mbps -- 1.10mbps

Speedtest HD averages a couple of mbps slower than Ookla, but Ookla searches for a local server while ST-HD may be (?) using a Canadian server.

The PC (plugged directly into the router) averages about 3mbps more across the range than the playbook (over wifi)

I'm not so sure the router is at fault because these streaming sites work fine on my laptop, used quite some distance from the router... It may be that the playbook needs faster speeds to process live streams efficiently than a laptop pc does... Does that make sense at all? OTOH, I have no problem with youtube and other non-live streaming...

I look forward to further thoughts and Thanks!!
    Last edited by ishamid; 09-29-13 at 10:18 AM.
    09-29-13 10:07 AM
    This is very odd. Can you load up the link above (the RT one) into the PlayBook browser and send us a screen shot?
    09-30-13 02:16 PM