I know an article similar to this one has been posted but I'm just giving my thoughts on it.

It's pretty cool that we could be seeing the playbook in some Crown Vics and Chargers and other police vehicles. A question though-does it replace the vehicle's police computer? Do they have to alter the way it works or the operating system at all? The current "operating systems " in police computers are pretty basic and don't have many effects or fancy bells and whistles. Would they be using the PlayBook's normal fluent menus for navigation? It did not provide details about that in the article.
    Here's the article
    Law Enforcement Turns to the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet - Latest News

The picture shows a PlayBook installed in a 2012 Dodge Charger Police Cruiser. It looks pretty nice - Black on black. I own a 2012 Charger so it's cool to see it in the same type of car that I own!
    rotorwrench and baldanders like this.
    05-08-12 08:24 PM
    I have read a couple of articles, but could not find them. They did talk about with the Ford GV out of production, that those ruggedized laptops are to big for the new smaller cars. Safety of officers was a concern. Also mentioned the security of the Playbook and the ability to use the Playbook out of the cars. I belive they were pairing/bridging with bb phones.
    05-08-12 10:47 PM
    My boss saw a PB in a police cruiser in western Washington. He didn't say what city, but it was on a mount aft of the dash in the center.
    05-09-12 01:15 AM
    Those Panasonic ToughBooks are running UNIX as a wireless client...some in a Citrix evniornment in Windows. This is a very old system and just as long on tooth as the Panther platform of the Crown Vic.

Way over due for an efficient and more compact upgrade. My only concern is the size of the PB screen being able to present the volume and density of data they need at a glance.

The military uses the same ToughBooks for combat IT. They've proven themselves in just about every hazardous field.
    05-09-12 01:16 AM
    We been using Toughbooks for several years and since January have replaced 7 of them with PBs.
    05-09-12 01:22 AM
    Great news, OP.
    05-09-12 01:28 AM
    Rut Rhoh.... guess this means I need to get my foot off the pedal..
    05-09-12 02:14 AM
    We are just getting started with Watson & VisonAir both that use Windows operating systems. So with that said we are using notebooks that have Verizon wireless to access the internet while out in the field.
    05-09-12 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD