I'm thinking of buying a BlackBerry Playbook to use during lectures instead of my laptop. Will I be able to take notes on word and is this investment a good idea?
    06-06-12 11:35 AM
    as long as you have blackberry case with keyboard or blackberry phone connected to playbook through bridging app
    06-06-12 11:48 AM
    You can take notes or just record voice notes instead or do both at the same time, multitasking! I prefer using my Bold as a keyboard instead of using a Bluetooth keyboard. I much prefer taking my pocketable PlayBook to meetings instead of lugging a laptop.
    dusdal and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    06-06-12 11:56 AM
    ......or film the lecture in HD
    06-06-12 12:07 PM
    Hi Edymott1,

I was asking the same questions about the playbook a year ago. Long story short, yes and yes.

I use voicenotes during lectures and upload them to box.com afterwards for listening to the lectures later on my PB or BB while running, cycling or driving.

While recording the lecture, I take notes using word(preinstalled on PB). I also usually have a PDF of the relevant textbook lecture open in qPDF app so that I can make annotations if needed. If there is a relevant powerpoint, I also have this open so I can follow along and type notes to each slide.

The great thing is, all of these are open at one time and you can easily swipe between them as needed on the fly.

I bought the blackberry keyboard and can type a mile a minute, but you would be fine using the on-screen keyboard or bridging to your blackberry.

It feels amazing to see everyone lugging in pencils, papers, textbooks etc and I just pull the PB out of my back pocket.

Do it!
    edymott1 likes this.
    06-06-12 12:11 PM
    I only brought my laptop to school when I needed to use a CAD or needed to give a presentation. I haven't found myself an affordable adapter from HDMI to VGA
    06-06-12 12:37 PM
    PlayBook has two great mic's the quality of the recorded audio is awesome. Whenever important points are explained through power point I quickly fire up the camera and take photos. I've got 2 playbook's I'm planning on getting a laptop, playbook does have its limitations.
    06-06-12 12:54 PM
    I regularly use my PB for taking notes at seminars, however I find it easier to use the keyb on my bold to type (the PB sits on my lap in it's flip-stand-case)
    06-06-12 12:57 PM
    as long as you have blackberry case with keyboard or blackberry phone connected to playbook through bridging app
    Wrong. You do NOT need the seperate keyboard OR BB phone to do what he intended to do. Doc to Go is native app on PB for Word note taking and the touch keyboard works wonderful.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-06-12 at 01:01 PM.
    06-06-12 12:58 PM
    I just took my PB on a few four week trip and left my laptop home. Big mistake! I had to edit some reports in excel and with my limited experience with my PB and excel in had not realized the PB excel limitations. I needed to copy from one spreadsheet to another and had not realized that you cannot do this. If your work requires a laptop take a laptop. If not the PB is a perfect most activities that do not require heavy editing. This is of course based on my own experiences. I love my PB and other than this problem it has served me well on this trip to France.
    06-06-12 01:01 PM
    I just took my PB on a few four week trip and left my laptop home. Big mistake! I had to edit some reports in excel and with my limited experience with my PB and excel in had not realized the PB excel limitations. I needed to copy from one spreadsheet to another and had not realized that you cannot do this. If your work requires a laptop take a laptop. If not the PB is a perfect most activities that do not require heavy editing. This is of course based on my own experiences. I love my PB and other than this problem it has served me well on this trip to France.
    True in your case, but the OP is enquiring about note taking, i.e. using Word.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-06-12 at 02:28 PM.
    06-06-12 01:04 PM
    I suggest trying one. Some folks have no trouble typing on a GLASS surface but others do have issues since there is no tactile feedback. Also, going betw letters and numbers/symbols can be an issue for some.
    06-06-12 02:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD