I was just wondering if anybody thinks its pointless to own a Playbook and a laptop. I currently own a Dell Studio XPS and was thinking about getting the Playbook but before investing I was wondering if it would be pointless to own the 2 devices together.
    04-06-11 03:32 PM
    I think it all depends on how you rely on your laptop. If you ever need to do serious word processing or use proprietary software exclusive to Windows/Mac while on the go, you're still going to need it.
    04-06-11 03:42 PM
    Well I'm in college and I use it a lot to take notes and different things like that in class so I guess it couldn't hurt to own one for "business" and the other for recreation.
    04-06-11 03:44 PM
    I'm owning tv, hifi, laptop, desktop, torch and soon a bb playbook.

Do I need them all?
    NO

Do they make life easier?
    MAYBE

Do they make me happy?
    YES

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-11 03:45 PM
    ^ Thats all that matters in life haha
    04-06-11 03:48 PM
    To say it is pointless is more of an opinion than anything else.

I have in my stable of computing devices.

Sony Laptop with Windows 7
    Sony Laptop with XP- Probably 5 years old and mainly only use it to connect to a VPN because I am too lazy to sit down and figure out my Window 7 machine. (512mb but it does the job)
    HP Laptop which was replaced by the new Sony (I forget how old but less than 3) going to be for the kids now probably
    Motion Computing LS800 with Windows XP Tablet addition (almost 3 years old and wow a tablet older than an ipad how can that be)
    HP Home Server
    My Storm
    My Wife's Bold
    Desktop at the office on a network of others.

With the exection of my Wife's bold and the old HP Laptop I use all of these devices for different reasons.

I would like to see how the Playbook fills my needs before figuring what else I want.

My future list of replacements is a Home Desktop or a new Motion Computing Tablet to replace the old Sony Laptop.

Everyone has their wants, needs and desires so YOU may not want or need to have 2 devices but others will. Not sure how old your Dell but if it is old there is no harm in getting the playbook. If you just purchased it in the last year or so maybe you don't want to buy the playbook just to have 1 of these expensive devices laying around.

Our newer Sony is the primary computer and sometime my wife might be using it and it is not worth it to turn on the old 512mb Sony just to look something up plus I travel and need something that will last a plane ride which the motion does not.
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 04-06-11 at 03:55 PM.
    04-06-11 03:52 PM
    When I first heard/read about an iPad, my response was: 'it looks freaking awesome, but wtf will I EVER do with it!?' Not being an iSheep I luckily didn't have to buy one!

Now the PB for me is a game changer: instead of just being a larger version of your phone, it builds on it and actually offers added functionality!

As a standalone wifi device I can quickly check something on the internet at home (internet banking, wikipedia, games, youtube, tv guide etc). My PB screen is larger than any tablet, because its wired via HDMI to a 32 inch FullHD LED tv. Unplug HDMI and read some CB news or a book in bed (which I now usually do on my Torch) without it taking up more space on the matrass than my own head

7 inch form factor + hdmi out = a very strong use case! Offering portability AND a large screen. Having your cake and eating it

And then there's blackberry bridge (my BB email on another screen but without yet another notification *ding*, again having+eating cake), tethering, gaming, multitasking, the (reported) great user experience of QNX, heavy use 10 hour battery time, always-on, productivity apps (BB security with android apps, having and eating cake yet again!) etc etc enough to consider a purchase and enough to set it apart from a laptop, netbook and smartphone.

But all my BB fanboyism is gone if this blatant lack of communication about international availability lasts much longer. Ill happily buy a tablet that IS available (or simply none at all) if �uros aren't good enough for RIM.

04-06-11 04:44 PM
    Excuse the rant

04-06-11 04:46 PM
    I think a tablet for on the go use and a desktop for home use will be the ultimate combo for me.
    04-06-11 04:50 PM
    I have a work laptop that I use for personal as well but my plan is to use the playbook as my main home computer with some work as well while at conferences or while traveling. I'm so excited to get this thing.
    04-06-11 04:52 PM
    I'm gonna be using the Playbook to surf the web on the couch while watching TV or check out the news+weather in bed when I wake up. I find it much more cumbersome to do those things with a laptop.

To me 7" falls right in the range of the perfect tablet screen size, more than 8" and I might as well get a netbook, less than 6" and I might as well stick with my smartphone.
    04-06-11 05:21 PM
    I just returned from the NY Public Library main reading room.
    There were about fifty laptop PC's on the desks .. nary an iPad or other tablet.
    IMO: It will be long b4 PC's are out or favor with students and business folk
    04-06-11 07:18 PM
    I will be keeping all of my devices because each fills a role:

XP Desktop PC: for most things when I'm at home and doing actual "work" (or play).
    Win 7 Laptop: for school since I'm back in college and taking a lot of notes and accessing BlackBoard.
    Bold: mail/PIM/Phone and a few corp apps
    PlayBook: an always with me quick web access, game, email/PIM, use. When I was at a movie theater waiting for the movie to start I had to surf the web using my phone and thought "man, would it be nice to have my PlayBook right now..."

Each device has a niche and a purpose for me. They overlap at points but it is the case of the right tool for the job.
    04-06-11 09:06 PM
    I just returned from the NY Public Library main reading room.
    There were about fifty laptop PC's on the desks .. nary an iPad or other tablet.
    IMO: It will be long b4 PC's are out or favor with students and business folk
    i've only seen three on my campus.... guess what they were ALL doing? sitting down playing a game
    04-06-11 09:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD