I got my playbook about two weeks ago. I love it, but I need a keyboard for it for when I need to write long e mails or word docs. Does anyone use a bluetooth keyboard with their BP? Does it work sufficiently? And If so, which keyboard should i get?
    06-29-11 01:59 PM
    I got my playbook about two weeks ago. I love it, but I need a keyboard for it for when I need to write long e mails or word docs. Does anyone use a bluetooth keyboard with their BP? Does it work sufficiently? And If so, which keyboard should i get?
    Congratulations and welcome! Hope you are enjoying it. Well I know you are. There have been quite a few threads on bluetooth keyboards, you should be able to search for them. Use "the "search this forum" tab.

Personally, I'm still waiting for the feature of typing from my BB phone keyboard which RIM promised would be here in 60 days Just kidding for those who have not had to endure the whiners in the forums for long yet.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-29-11 at 02:33 PM.
    06-29-11 02:29 PM
    Found the same need, and after doing some research, got a Freedom Pro (uses BlueTooth to connect). The only downside is that the specialty keys don't work at this time, but the keyboard is really great. Plus it folds in half, for easy carrying. If you follow their instructions on their web site, it pairs up without a hitch. I got mine from Amazon.

Hope that helps.
    06-30-11 09:11 PM
    I currently use the Apple wireless BT keyboard + magic mouse for it, works perfectly fine for the the PB. They keyboard is not as small as the other (foldable) options out there but small enough to be portable and lightweight at that.

As with the other options, special keys will not work. Price wise that combo is probably not the cheapest, more or less comes with the brand I guess.

If you prefer a different brand/color, I don't have any experience with it but.. HP is releasing a wireless keyboard for the touchpad, should be on the shelves soon enough. The price tag on that one is similar but.. it's Black (mmmm, I'm giving this one away as soon as I can get my hands on one of those )
    07-01-11 02:51 AM
    I'm still waiting on Leak below:

RIM's BlackBerry Playbook Could Get Bluetooth Keyboard Accessory

This is one sexy keyboard, or if they made the one below for the PlayBook also, it'd be awesome!

Logitech Designed Keyboard Case for iPad 2 | LikeYourShirt.com
    07-01-11 04:41 AM
    thanks for all of the suggestions!
    07-01-11 12:07 PM
    I am hoping for a docking-type keyboard so it could give extra battery like the Transformer, or like Samsung Galaxy Tab's one. Most bluetooth keyboard + book case don't have a good reviews. Currently looking for one too.
    07-01-11 02:03 PM
    I'm still waiting on Leak below:

RIM's BlackBerry Playbook Could Get Bluetooth Keyboard Accessory

This is one sexy keyboard, or if they made the one below for the PlayBook also, it'd be awesome!

Logitech Designed Keyboard Case for iPad 2 | LikeYourShirt.com
    Was anyone else the 100,000th visitor when they clicked that first link, or just me? lol They want to give me a free ipad should I fall for it? I have 9 hours to decide if I should give them my complete data profile.

Well I went back again and I was not the 100,001 visitor so so much for my happy day...

Not holding my breath for anything from RIM at this point.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-01-11 at 03:04 PM.
    07-01-11 02:58 PM
    I understand that people have connected the apple keyboard to their playbook. My playbook won't even find it after search. Any suggestions. Thanks.
    07-02-11 08:50 AM
    I tried everything to get the Apple Keyboard to work with the Playbook. One of the Geek Squad at BestBuy said I had to unlock it and change software. Staples said they won't work with BB Playbook software. Then I thought: Maybe the problem is the keyboard. So I went and purchased a new Apple portable keyboard. Then I tried to connect with Blue Tooth and it worked like a charm. Vey quick and sea,less. Keyboard works absolutely perfect.

Then I bridged my BB phone and it went seamless as well.

I am starting to like this Playbook more and more as I use it.
    07-02-11 03:08 PM
    I successfully paired two different Apple bluetooth keyboards (one for home, one for the office). First one was a breeze; second one wouldn't work at all.

Through sheer luck, the keyboard's battery died and I replaced it - worked like a charm. Probably, it only had enough power previously to give the little green light and fool me into thinking it could send a signal. Try a new battery and see if it works.
    07-02-11 04:42 PM
    Can confirm both the Apple Keyboard and Magic Mouse work on this via bluetooth. You will not be able use the touch scroll feature and for some reason it won't scroll in the browser. I've read the Logitech V470 works great and I will be getting mine next week. Do not bother with the MS BT notebook mouse as it will not work.
    07-02-11 05:16 PM
    Can somebody please help me here? I want to get a bluetooth keyboard for PB. As I wish to restrict the purchase to <$40, my options are limited to:

1. Logitech K-400
    2. Amkette Wi-Key Touch
    3. Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 800
    4. Belkin Premium Wireless Combo
    5. Logitech Wireless Combo MK220

Forgive me if I sound stupid, but most of these keyboards come with the USB Bluetooth dongle. Would the playbook find them without it?

And has anybody used any of these keyboards with your PB?
    05-21-12 08:10 AM
    05-21-12 08:17 AM
    Can somebody please help me here? I want to get a bluetooth keyboard for PB. As I wish to restrict the purchase to <$40, my options are limited to:

1. Logitech K-400
    2. Amkette Wi-Key Touch
    3. Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 800
    4. Belkin Premium Wireless Combo
    5. Logitech Wireless Combo MK220

Forgive me if I sound stupid, but most of these keyboards come with the USB Bluetooth dongle. Would the playbook find them without it?

And has anybody used any of these keyboards with your PB?

No, it wouldn't work with the playbook. Nothing with a USB dongle will work

I bought a keyboard at Staples I can roll-up. It's great for portability but the keyboard keeps dropping the connection

There's a nice Logitech keyboard for tablets at Staples. It's for iPad or android but it might pair with the playbook. The keyboard uses 4 AAA batteries. Take some batteries with you to Staples and try to pair it to your playbook
    Last edited by anthogag; 05-21-12 at 08:44 AM.
    BerryOttawa likes this.
    05-21-12 08:30 AM
    Thanks a lot, anthogag.

I was almost going to get one with a dongle. And this connection dropping seems to be a common problem with many keyboards connected to PB.

The logitech tablet board seems to be good. But it is a bit too expensive. 80-85$. The android one seems to be having some issues with PB but I heard that the apple one works fine.
    05-22-12 02:19 AM
    Has anyone purchased the PB keyboard and found they don't want to carry it in the supplied case? I have one coming in the mail but suspect I am not going to want to use the keyboard all the time (I have got by so far without it!).
    I was considering putting the kb into the neoprene case supplied, but am not sure. I currently carry my PB permanently in a journal case as I love the business look. So I was thinking...... Would the kb be too slim for a leather slip case for the pb?
    That way I could carry both separately with similar style and use as required.

Does anyone have a kb and a leather slip case? Does the kb fall out easily if it is just in the leather slip case?
    Cheers in advance!
    05-22-12 02:42 AM
    I think I've read some folks use the original neoprene case for the keyboard.

Others with the keyboard could tell you how close in size to the pb it is and whether a pb slip case could work.
    05-22-12 08:28 AM
    Has anyone purchased the PB keyboard and found they don't want to carry it in the supplied case? I have one coming in the mail but suspect I am not going to want to use the keyboard all the time (I have got by so far without it!).
    I was considering putting the kb into the neoprene case supplied, but am not sure. I currently carry my PB permanently in a journal case as I love the business look. So I was thinking...... Would the kb be too slim for a leather slip case for the pb?
    That way I could carry both separately with similar style and use as required.

Does anyone have a kb and a leather slip case? Does the kb fall out easily if it is just in the leather slip case?
    Cheers in advance!
    I am sort of in the same situation as you. Sometimes I don't need the keyboard but want to carry it with me just in case. I have the leather slip case and the keyboard will slip out if you turn it upside down and give it a little shake. Still nice though... Just have to be a little careful.

Question: if you use the journal case and want to use the keyboard, how are you going to prop the PB up? This is why I still use the kb case when commuting to work.
    05-22-12 09:25 AM
    I am sort of in the same situation as you. Sometimes I don't need the keyboard but want to carry it with me just in case. I have the leather slip case and the keyboard will slip out if you turn it upside down and give it a little shake. Still nice though... Just have to be a little careful.

Question: if you use the journal case and want to use the keyboard, how are you going to prop the PB up? This is why I still use the kb case when commuting to work.
    I guess for the slimmest solution, one of those very cheap, wireframe plate display stands would work. Otherwise, there are variety of "ipad" tablet support frames.

Here's a quick link but some folks have posted images of really cheap, thin, foldable ones, too:

Wire & Acrylic Display Stands, Plate Stands - Gibson Holders
    05-22-12 09:55 AM
    Thanks King Benny.

I have no problem with the Journal case and use it all the time. I prop it up on (believe it or not) my desktop computer sometimes, othertimes, I just prop it up with the case (by folding it over) or lay it flat. When I have the KB, I will just do the same. Also, when you use the Journal case and fold it all the way back underneath (and use the elastic to secure it) it forms a small triangle which is often perfect for typing without the kb, so it should still be good with the kb?

I re-watched the blackberry video about the kb (I am tracking my order from The Netherlands at the moment, 10 stops so far and at least a day or two away yet!) and am feeling even more now that the case will be too big to lug around with the kb permanently inside.

Have ransacked my house and can't find the original neoprene case though......... a bit of a catch 22!
    05-23-12 01:38 AM
    07-15-17 12:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD