I use my Playbook mostly for work. I am in the field 70-80% of my day. Let me try and list all that I do with it:
    Check Email and keep in contact with my customers and workers. Download and view my PDF's of house plans so there is no "I forgot the plans. Can we do this another day".
    Take pictures of signed changes to the plans and send them (PDF) using PDF Creator to my inside person who than can enter the changes and change the pricing. Look up specifications of different appliances to know how they are wired than send the link to my guys who are doing the work. Take pictures/videos of mistakes or things that need to be recorded for later. Answer questions and emails, update contacts, and view and update calendar on a 7" screen. Show selections and options through pictures instead of hauling around samples. And during lunch video chat with my wife and surf crackberry for info on my PB.
    This is pretty much all done through bridging with my 9930. Add WiFi and it gets done even faster.
    All done without going into the office. You can load papers,plans, files, presentations, Power point, what ever you want and connect the mini hdmi to a tv and you are set to display to a crowd if you want.
    I say open it and get your use out of it. The more you use it the more uses you will have for it.
    jivegirl14 and DMitch like this.
    01-03-12 06:40 PM
    Open it and use it. It use to be $500
    01-03-12 06:57 PM
    Oh, go back to your little tootsie, the ticket taker on Amtrak, Jack!
    We broke up - she wouldn't buy me a another playbook
    01-03-12 06:57 PM
    I am a business owner, so I am always selling. I have photos of my work organized into albums, some Powerpoint presentations that I can display on a bigger LCD tv and control with a bluetooth keyboard/touchpad, videos I have taken in the shop. And when there is no wifi, there is always bridge, so I can go to my website or one of the professional forums I am active on. I used to lug a laptop, and I needed a special bag for it. And it didn't take photos or videos.

My quotation spreadsheet is also on board, although Sheet to Go is not as functional as I would like. But there will be an Office-type suite in Feb.
    01-03-12 07:00 PM
    hello, I have a similar problem, my daughter bought me a 16GB Playbook, also as yet unopened. My problem is that as she bought it a while before Christmas she paid as much for it as a 32GB Playbook is now. According to receipt I have until 21st Jan to return it for a refund or exchange.
    That seems straight forward exept that she is in Austarlia at the moment and not back until after that date, and paid by credit card.
    No local stores have the 32GB in stock, so exchange would be difficult.
    So after all of my waffle my question is , How much difference would the extra 16GB make.
    Thanks for reading and maybe help me decide !!
    I bought a 16G in June and haven't run low yet.. I shoot videos and haven't had to offload them yet - I do NOT download movies or music and don't have a wagonload of apps, though I have a heck of a lot.

So I would say it depends on how many movies and music you want with you. Also keep in mind that OS 2 MAY have SD card and USB storage support.
    01-03-12 07:03 PM

So I would say it depends on how many movies and music you want with you. Also keep in mind that OS 2 MAY have SD card and USB storage support.
    BJ: I wonder whether it might be PB2 (not OS2) that may have the SD card. USB storage is more likely, but there may never be a PB2 unfortunately.

Take good care.

BB
    01-03-12 07:10 PM
    OK you're right. I recind "my take it back remark". I has just been frustrating trying to make it do what i can do with my toshiba. However the ui is pretty brilliant, and in a couple months it could be the best device out there.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    01-03-12 07:11 PM
    Another two cents:
    Most of the responses are so emotional. I'll get to the same perspective but I think in a more rational approach.
    1. 250 is 250. If the gift is essentially from yourself AND you have no need for any tablet AND you can find better use for 250 THEN return it. If your wife bought, appologize perfusely for being an ingrate and open it, and treat her like a queen.
    2. If you want or need a tablet, what are your alternatives. The PB is price point as Nook Tab with vastly less hardware and a little better ecosystem with Android. HW will not change post purchase, but SW will.
    3. The PB affords many productivity gains: cheaper books and reference materials all in one place; fast and feature rich web browsing; 2 cameras even though the rear is only fixed focus; movie/stream player with amazon instant video and a HD tv; presentation with device or via hdmi to larger monitor or tv; audio record in stereo or video record meetings for later review; listen to music through good speakers and save your ears; seemless thether to BB phone or others that allow it to saw the cost of 4G enable tablet (a 100 dollar premium); etc.

I have 2. I for me and the other for my preteen. I would recommend, but it is not headache free.

> No native mail. If you have a BB phone, you can bridge the mail function. Or, go beta and install K9 oe Kaiten mail.
    > Lower quantity and missing apps. Most of what you need is available for free or at very little cost. Some of the rest you can get from converted android apps. The rest has no future or wait and see.

In summary, it can enhance or replace your portable music player, portable video player, camera, thumb drive, portable hard drive, home/business library, dvd HD player, stream device, internet device, financial calculator, tip calc, alarm clock, HD radio, music stream, presentation device, and your PC or laptop for light document creation.

Did I mention the stellar hardware. Good dual core, spectacular HD screen, 1 meg RAM, BT, 2x cameras, 16GB+ storage, good multitasking OS, Android Virtual Machine, HDMI, USB2.0 (OTG upcoming), antiglare, GPS offline + location, great battery, thin, fairly light, solid construction, and handsome.
    DMitch likes this.
    01-03-12 07:21 PM
    "Thanks" to all for taking time to post your well thought out responses outlining how you use the PB.

Based on all of you guys/gals...i'm going to take it out of box today and test drive this bad boy!!

Not looking forward to dealing w/all the technical headaches & bugs...I am one that can't even set up a home wireless router in less than hr & half! Dang! just broke one of my new yrs goal...BEING POSITIVE!!
    01-04-12 09:43 AM
    "Thanks" to all for taking time to post your well thought out responses outlining how you use the PB.

Based on all of you guys/gals...i'm going to take it out of box today and test drive this bad boy!!

Not looking forward to dealing w/all the technical headaches & bugs...I am one that can't even set up a home wireless router in less than hr & half! Dang! just broke one of my new yrs goal...BEING POSITIVE!!
    I didn't have any technical issues setting up mine, or bugs. It seemed to be taking its time at one point so I simply restarted it. It found an available wi-fi and once I added our home wi-fi details it automatically goes to that one. I've had no issues since, neither did my husband when he set up his. Best of luck.
    01-04-12 10:24 AM
    BJ: I wonder whether it might be PB2 (not OS2) that may have the SD card. USB storage is more likely, but there may never be a PB2 unfortunately.

Take good care.

BB
    I don't mean internal - I mean an SD card accessed with a USB SD card reader, through the hosted USB port -
    01-04-12 10:36 AM
    Yeh, I agree with most of the folks here. If you've got a BB phone to bridge, there really isn't any question. I've found that I am rarely needing to take my laptop on business/personal trips any longer. It's very convenient.

And in regard to RIM as a whole, try changing your flagship product from one operating system to another in under 1 year and NOT having any growing pains. Problem is, a lot of folks around here completely forget about that and proceed to complain. Those are the folks that have never been in software development and don't understand exactly what RIM is trying to conquer right now. IMO, RIM has done well with the QNX implementation to date and things are only going to get better. Besides, if you tried it and didn't like it, you could probably sell it and only lose around $50-$75 in the process. But at least then you'd have closure that you made the right decision for you.
    jivegirl14 likes this.
    01-04-12 10:49 AM
    Open it, plug it in to the AC adapter or rapid charger (or dock), and connect to wifi. You will be prompted to update the OS immediately, so be prepared to spend a few hours with it.

***You will likely want to use the same BBID you use on your 9930. This helps keep your AppWorld purchases in line between devices.***

Some key free apps preinstalled on your PlayBook:

- Documents To Go (full version, as far as I can tell, I can create new docs with it)
    - Adobe Reader
    - Kobo Book Reader
    - Music Store (I believe it's 7Digital)
    - Podcasts
    - YouTube
    - Bing Maps (yeah, well, it's what we get)
    - Slacker Radio
    - Facebook
    - Twitter (web shortcut only)
    - Weather (quite nice for an integrated OS freebie)
    - Tetris
    - Need For Speed: Undercover

Recommended free apps to download from AppWorld:

- Air Browser (a file system browser to navigate your PB folder structure)
    - RIDGID Digital Bubble Level (everyone needs a level, don't they?)
    - ScoreMobile (if you are a sports fan)
    - BlueBox (DropBox client, I think it's it's free...)
    - The CB App (well, duh)
    - TouchUp Lite (free version of a premium photo editor)
    - Xploding Boxes (by Ebscer, great game, $3 for the full version, single purchase gets you the full game on BB and PB!)
    - Pixelated (by Ebscer, like XB, great game, $3 for the full version (Pixelated Plus), single purchase gets you the full game on BB and PB!)
    - Poynt

Paid apps I dig:

- Blaq (awesome Twitter client, $1.99)
    - Files and Folders (comprehensive file explorer, zip/unzip tool, more capable than AIR Browser)
    - Book Reader (more versatile than Kobo)
    - Dead Space (great creepy FPS, great graphics and controls, currently $4.99)
    - Angry Birds (if you dig it, buy 'em all. $4.99 each)

*These lists are my personal recommendations. Please feel free, everyone, to add your own. Let's help this guy love his PlayBook!
    Last edited by rrrebo; 01-04-12 at 10:53 AM.
    DMitch likes this.
    01-04-12 10:51 AM
    I believe you'll find the Playbook to be very helpful to you. You mentioned that you were in the financial services industry. There are a couple of apps in App World that may interest you; a couple on stock tracking and one good one on calculating life insurance needs. I'm in insurance sales myself and find the Playbook an excellent way to show presentations, store underwriting guides, and access company files in the field. Good luck using your Playbook! You'll find it to be a fun ride!
    DMitch likes this.
    01-04-12 10:51 AM
    I am a business owner, so I am always selling. I have photos of my work organized into albums, some Powerpoint presentations that I can display on a bigger LCD tv and control with a bluetooth keyboard/touchpad, videos I have taken in the shop. And when there is no wifi, there is always bridge, so I can go to my website or one of the professional forums I am active on. I used to lug a laptop, and I needed a special bag for it. And it didn't take photos or videos.

My quotation spreadsheet is also on board, although Sheet to Go is not as functional as I would like. But there will be an Office-type suite in Feb.
    If you are looking for a great option to "Sheet to Go" try this free option zoho.com, works to perfection for me, just as good as MS Office for me.
    01-04-12 11:43 AM
    rrrebo - nice write up hope you don't mind if I copy that to Tips and tricks for newbies?
    01-04-12 11:57 AM
    DMitch,

There are bigger problems for RIM. The shareholders are restless and a management change for Chairman of the board is imminent. One shareholder is calling for the breakup or sell off of RIM. The fate of the Playbook is in flux.
    Oh my one lone shareholder is calling for the breakup or asset sale of Research In Motion, eh? Gee, we better dump our BlackBerry devices lest this sole shareholder somehow overrules the majority shareholders. Only an or a vulture would be calling for the sale of the company when all that is needed is a return to its innovative roots and focus on its core competencies.

Maybe Mike and Jim can make an appearance on "The Dragon's Den" making a sales pitch for a small investment and a strategic partnership with one of the dragons.
    01-04-12 11:57 AM
    Dang! just broke one of my new yrs goal...BEING POSITIVE!!
    No worries about breaking a resolution. The first week of January is transition week so small transgressions can be overlooked.

To really harness the full potential of the BlackBerry PlayBook be sure to bridge it with a compatible BlackBerry smartphone. You will impress your clients with the ability to access information and present information in a professionally-productive manner. In sales, perception is reality and financial clients buy into perception especially when you can reinforce it with a touch of reality.
    DMitch likes this.
    01-04-12 12:09 PM
    rrrebo - nice write up hope you don't mind if I copy that to Tips and tricks for newbies?
    G'head. Just throw my name on it somewhere.
    01-04-12 01:03 PM
    With all the uncertainty surrounding RIM, if I had to consider a tablet purchase (right now) I don't know if I would consider the PB. I only say that because based of what I am reading I can see a scenario where someone or some company takes over RIM and in order to get their financials back in order that they discontinue the lines that are not profitable. I don't work for RIM but I would have to say that the PB is not a financial hit and shutting down production and scraping the tablet altogether is not that far out of the question. Tough decisions in a weak economy have to be made and you generally start with unprofitable products and move on from there.
    Has anyone considered why all the price slashing RIM has done on the PB? Could it be a fire sale to get out of the tablet business....no one knows. But just getting the PB into the hands of people is not going to suddenly make it popular as some people have suggested. Even with a 2.0 relaunch I don't think the rest of the world (besides us) really cares. I hope I am wrong but I am a little apprehensive about the future of the PB now.
    01-05-12 03:54 AM
    Here's the deal. Right now and for the foreseeable future pb is and will be supported. When paired with the phone it is great. I used to carry my toshiba tablet to work but the pb has taken it's place for productivity. I am finding apps (thanks to all the great people in this forum) that will do what I need to get done. If is 2.0 comes great. Then it is the best tab out there.
    Worst case scenerio. BB goes belly up and never supports it again. You still have great hardware that I can assure you someone will find a way to port android to. Maybe even Linux or win 8 if you have a 64 gig. Either way you can't really loose.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    DMitch likes this.
    01-05-12 05:04 AM
    Open it, plug it in to the AC adapter or rapid charger (or dock), and connect to wifi. You will be prompted to update the OS immediately, so be prepared to spend a few hours with it.

***You will likely want to use the same BBID you use on your 9930. This helps keep your AppWorld purchases in line between devices.***

Some key free apps preinstalled on your PlayBook:

- Documents To Go (full version, as far as I can tell, I can create new docs with it)
    - Adobe Reader
    - Kobo Book Reader
    - Music Store (I believe it's 7Digital)
    - Podcasts
    - YouTube
    - Bing Maps (yeah, well, it's what we get)
    - Slacker Radio
    - Facebook
    - Twitter (web shortcut only)
    - Weather (quite nice for an integrated OS freebie)
    - Tetris
    - Need For Speed: Undercover

Recommended free apps to download from AppWorld:

- Air Browser (a file system browser to navigate your PB folder structure)
    - RIDGID Digital Bubble Level (everyone needs a level, don't they?)
    - ScoreMobile (if you are a sports fan)
    - BlueBox (DropBox client, I think it's it's free...)
    - The CB App (well, duh)
    - TouchUp Lite (free version of a premium photo editor)
    - Xploding Boxes (by Ebscer, great game, $3 for the full version, single purchase gets you the full game on BB and PB!)
    - Pixelated (by Ebscer, like XB, great game, $3 for the full version (Pixelated Plus), single purchase gets you the full game on BB and PB!)
    - Poynt

Paid apps I dig:

- Blaq (awesome Twitter client, $1.99)
    - Files and Folders (comprehensive file explorer, zip/unzip tool, more capable than AIR Browser)
    - Book Reader (more versatile than Kobo)
    - Dead Space (great creepy FPS, great graphics and controls, currently $4.99)
    - Angry Birds (if you dig it, buy 'em all. $4.99 each)

*These lists are my personal recommendations. Please feel free, everyone, to add your own. Let's help this guy love his PlayBook!
    For task management I would add Conqu - you don't need to be connected to wi-fi or Bridge to use it. I believe it's paid but it's inexpensive for what you can do with it.
    I also use Groovy Notes, also paid but excellent app, backs up all your notes, ideas, diary and more to Drop Box with one tap. Also allows you to record voice notes. I think it's $4.99 but to me great value for the use I put it to. For notes on the fly I am using JotIt.
    DMitch likes this.
    01-05-12 08:09 AM
    I don't tend to use my Playbook much for games. If you worry about productivity, there are great apps for contacts, agenda/calendar, to-do lists,keeping notes (written and audio), advanced calculators, papers and magasines and radio for following industry news, word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation apps for when you can't be at your desktop, budgeting apps, project management apps, and some industry specific apps good for me. That includes finance and trading information, and some math review when needed.

Also nice are some educational programs, for learning or reviewing various things (languages, finance, maths, preparation for industry exams, etc.) And apps for entering work-related documentation, for easy searching later.

An advantage of the Playbook having relatively fewer apps than some other tablets/phones is that it's feasible to look through AppWorld for all the offerings there. You may be surprised at some of the tools that'll enhance your productivity.

And then when you want time off, plenty of fun things too!
    01-05-12 11:56 AM
    I am in Real Estate and I use my PB all the time, it is always with me. I downloaded all listing information and brochures and can email them anywhere I am. I can search the multiple listings and email information or show information while out and about with clients. I have graphs and other data to email or show to clients. I attend several committee's, I keep all agenda's, notes and minuets in files on the PB, never needing to carry around my briefcase or laptop any more. I use it while cooking as I download and store recipes on it. I use the gps to get me to where I need to go. I did most of my xmas shopping on it. I read all my books and newspapers on it. My G-kids play on it while visiting me. I listen to music and watch videos on it. I take and show photos and video's of property with it. I check weather with it. The only thing I use my laptop is for printing. I no longer keep it with me. Can I live without it? Yes. But I wouldn't want to.
    jivegirl14 likes this.
    01-05-12 01:16 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD