OK, my wife (i LOVE her!) got me a 32g playbook for Christmas @$250. I have not opened the box yet (crazy right?!)

I' trying to decide if it's a tool to help me be more productive/effiecient/organized...or is it just a "cool/nice" device to have.

I'm not a gamer but i'm REALLY trying to justify $250 for a device that is in "WAITING" or "HOPING" for upgrades to come of age.

I know I can open & test drive it but am afraid my logic will be overcome by emotions once I experience a bigger screen & interface.

Having a wife & 3 daughters to support I need to maximize my money at use so please consider taking time to assist...

I am in sales (financial industry), meeting w/prospects & clients in my office and occassionaly in restuarants & coffee shops.

How is the playbook helping you w/your productivity & efficiency?
    Any suggestions on how to use it?

Thanks in advance!!
    01-03-12 09:40 AM
    This was a question for me as well. I just had to be able to justify the expenditure (paid $300 for 16 gb).
    First, I am self-employed, so my business bought me a nice shiny PB. I asked how much time it would take me to earn that $$ in relation for what it could do for me (which I wasn't so sure about). Speaking for myself, I really underestimated what it could do for me, but I have a BB phone to pair with it. That means being able to pull it out anywhere and play a access Calendar, messages, show a film clip, Power Point, schedule things more easily than on my phone, type more easily than on my phone, take notes, snap a picture or video of something so I can remember or show someone else. I really have been so busy I haven't had time to explore more of the stuff that it can do for me ... and OS2 is coming.
    So I would say a definite if you still have your Curve. It is portable and always with me. If not, it would depend on your access to Wifi. If I download film, PowerPoint, docs from my laptop I don't need Wifi for those. Watching the videos on this site showing off various functions will really help you.
    Good luck with the decision! Good for you in considering your family needs before your BlackBerry needs .... I know it is a toughie!
    DMitch likes this.
    01-03-12 10:03 AM
    open up that box set up that playbook, bridge that curve of yours up to it and BAM ! instant awesome and productive, if you no longer have a blackberry sounds like in your sistuation i would take it back. hope that helps that being said, hope you stick with the playbook, this winning team needs as many members has we can get !
    01-03-12 10:28 AM
    If I am not mistaken, your 8320 will NOT bridge to your PlayBook (I believe OS 5+ is required for Bridge). If you are able to pick up a more recent BlackBerry, then you will be able explore the true functionality of the PB. If you have an 8320, you should be well overdue for an upgrade.

EDIT: I am not mistaken.
    From BlackBerry's security manual:

BlackBerry PlayBook tablet users who want to use the BlackBerry Bridge must have a BlackBerry smartphone that is running one of the following:
    • BlackBerry� Device Software 5.0
    • BlackBerry� 6
    • BlackBerry� 7

Users whose smartphones are running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 and BlackBerry 6, must install BlackBerry Bridge from the BlackBerry App World™ storefront. The BlackBerry Bridge is pre-installed on smartphones that are running BlackBerry 7.
    That being said, the PB has true multi-tasking, full Docs To Go (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) out of the box, HDMI out, and can handle pretty much any general business need, especially when paired with a BlackBerry. It is portable, pocketable, and relatively inobtrusive. Great for meetings, taking notes (Evernote!), running presentations, editing and sharing documents, browsing the web, and killing time on breaks or lunch.

Open it. Research it. Figure out how to use it to your best advantage. I think you'll find it up to the task in most cases, and far easier to cart around than a laptop. You'll never know until you give it a fair shot.
    Last edited by rrrebo; 01-03-12 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Confirmation of OS requirements
    01-03-12 10:30 AM
    If you can still find one to play with in a store, take an hour and see what it may offer. Obviously, that will not give you full access to apps that might help in your work but you might still get ideas.

If you download the Bridge to your phone (does that phone support bridge?), you can actually pair your phone with the store pb and test out bridge. When you turn off that pb or move out of range, all of YOUR data will be gone from the pb.

And, yes, it still probably needs what we hope OS2 will provide but some folks find it fine as is.

Nice wife and you, a considerate husband and dad.
    01-03-12 10:40 AM
    Personally, i like the playbook. i really do....but it still has some ways to go before it can truly claim the first professional tablet.

My advice to u....keep the receipt and wait a month until OS2 comes out and read the reviews that would come along with it. This is whats going to make or break this tablet. i have faith though....even after all the broken promises, RIM has still had almost a year to work on this update so hopefully they have some great things in store of us playbook users
    01-03-12 10:40 AM
    DMitch,

There are bigger problems for RIM. The shareholders are restless and a management change for Chairman of the board is imminent. One shareholder is calling for the breakup or sell off of RIM. The fate of the Playbook is in flux.
    01-03-12 10:47 AM
    My mistake, just updated my profile...have 9930!
    01-03-12 10:47 AM
    If you still have BB with OS 5.0 or higher, it's a no brainer with the BB Bridge. I am in sales and have hundreds of tech data and msds sheets on my playbook as I never know when a customer may call and need something asap. I just have to pull off the road and with the bridge, can send email with attached documents customer needs. For presentations, hdmi and powerpoint work great as well. Showing presentations at clients desk, one on one is also very impressive with the screen quality.

Just do it!!!!!!
    DMitch likes this.
    01-03-12 10:49 AM
    Wish I had til Feb...retail office store said i have 30days fr purchase to return get refund.
    Thanks for your response!
    01-03-12 10:50 AM
    If you have a Bold, crack that PB open. You can always sell it on here or eBay if you decide to. Resale value remains high. Your wife cared enough to get it for you. I think she made a good choice. Respect it and give the PB a road test. (and it looks way better than "Thanks, honey! I'm gonna return this for cash!") I understand the financial obligations (I have 3 kids, a mortgage, car payment, etc...my PB was a Christmas gift from my mom...), so do what you need to do.
    Last edited by rrrebo; 01-03-12 at 10:54 AM.
    01-03-12 10:51 AM
    I decided to pick up a Playbook over Christmas. I missed out on the $199 deal a couple of months ago and regretted it. So, when they went back on sale after Christmas, I decided to pick one up. When I bought mine at Future Shop, there were people walking by saying "don't do it, you'll regret it, buy a iPad bla bla bla." Like a lot of people though, I didn't even open the box for several days because I wasn't sure if I would keep it. Did a bunch more research and read good and bad reviews of the device. Finally, I broke down and opened it up, figuring that even if I hate it, it's only $199.

So anyhow, I'm loving the Playbook and my kids really love it. The thing has been running constantly for the last week and we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what this thing can do. For what it's worth, I'm really glad that I bought one.
    awesker3#WN likes this.
    01-03-12 11:00 AM
    OK, my wife (i LOVE her!) got me a 32g playbook for Christmas @$250. I have not opened the box yet (crazy right?!)

I' trying to decide if it's a tool to help me be more productive/effiecient/organized...or is it just a "cool/nice" device to have.

I'm not a gamer but i'm REALLY trying to justify $250 for a device that is in "WAITING" or "HOPING" for upgrades to come of age.

I know I can open & test drive it but am afraid my logic will be overcome by emotions once I experience a bigger screen & interface.

Having a wife & 3 daughters to support I need to maximize my money at use so please consider taking time to assist...

I am in sales (financial industry), meeting w/prospects & clients in my office and occassionaly in restuarants & coffee shops.

How is the playbook helping you w/your productivity & efficiency?
    Any suggestions on how to use it?

Thanks in advance!!
    We are for the most part driven by our emotions rather than pure logic anyway. Otherwise nothing would ever be bought or sold. Let's face it, nobody NEEDS a Playbook or any tablet for that matter. But once you have one you will probably find lots of uses for it you didn't think you had.
    You won't be any nearer to the answers with your PB in the box however. So, take it out, try it, buy apps for it (I've seen a couple of sales apps, search App World plus it shows spreadsheets extremely well), USE it, customize to suit your needs. Everyone's needs/uses for the PB are unique - like them. There is a thread somewhere on the forum called "How is your Playbook saving you time and money?" I suggest giving it a read as it's pretty interesting how others are using theirs and you will get some ideas for using yours and perhaps even add your own.

Personally in my "spare time" I run a dance school and I've loaded my PB with over 100 of our teaching videos, which myself and my instructors can then review any time we want. The PB is great for showing our videos to prospective customers and saves me time describing as what we do is very visual. I just show them. They look beautiful and blows watching them on my tiny iPod Touch screen or my instructor's tiny iPhone screen out of the water. I browse to Youtube to veiw our channel, I, surf, email, stay connected with my social networks. It's nice to be able to do all that without an additional data charge. I have ebooks on it. As a PM with lots of meetings I take lots of notes on it. And yes, I do play games on it. There are many more uses I could put it to, but that's just me for starters.

I liken it to having the Internet in your pocket, it's not even limited to wi-fi with the Bridge (which if you meet clients in coffee shops and the like you will find useful). At the very least you will not have to lug around and boot up a laptop. But I digress. You really need to test drive it for yourself in situ - for what it is now and in the end if you don't find it enhances your life sufficiciently you can always sell it.
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 01-03-12 at 11:09 AM.
    01-03-12 11:02 AM
    Id be more concerned about affending my wife after going to the trouble of getting the playbook than what your going to use it for!

my wife bought me a pb for xmas and I havent put it down for one moment, Im not a gammer and tbe question of productivity hasnt come into it yet!

it has replaced my laptop as I mainly browsed the web and the pb has taken the role petectly.

just set it up and enjoy it, and be greatful you have a thoughtful wife!
    01-03-12 11:02 AM
    Here you go:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-money-666325/

It will pay for itself in short order.

BTW your wife seems very thoughtful and generous, not to mention intelligent for selecting the playbook. Is she married?

Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-03-12 at 11:08 AM.
    01-03-12 11:06 AM
    my first smile & chuckle for the day...thanks needed that!
    01-03-12 11:09 AM
    Id be more concerned about affending my wife after going to the trouble of getting the playbook than what your going to use it for!

my wife bought me a pb for xmas and I havent put it down for one moment, Im not a gammer and tbe question of productivity hasnt come into it yet!

it has replaced my laptop as I mainly browsed the web and the pb has taken the role petectly.

just set it up and enjoy it, and be greatful you have a thoughtful wife!
    I totally agree. First of all, life is short. Secondly, if someone...especially your wife...buys you a present, then honor that gift by enjoying what she bought 'ya. And, thirdly, you will, you will, you will...
    01-03-12 01:17 PM
    I love my PB but, it is a toy for those with extra cash to play with. It is great for YouTube, movies, games, and web surfing. It will probably make you less productive not more productive. It is not for you. Return it and get a good ball point pen and a pad.
    Ah, yes! Return it and get a good ball point and a pad! Words to live by, my friend. Wait, I have to make some computations. Where is that abacus of mine, anyway....
    bkupris likes this.
    01-03-12 01:23 PM
    Here you go:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-money-666325/

It will pay for itself in short order.

BTW your wife seems very thoughtful and generous, not to mention intelligent for selecting the playbook. Is she married?

Oh, go back to your little tootsie, the ticket taker on Amtrak, Jack!
    01-03-12 01:24 PM
    hello, I have a similar problem, my daughter bought me a 16GB Playbook, also as yet unopened. My problem is that as she bought it a while before Christmas she paid as much for it as a 32GB Playbook is now. According to receipt I have until 21st Jan to return it for a refund or exchange.
    That seems straight forward exept that she is in Austarlia at the moment and not back until after that date, and paid by credit card.
    No local stores have the 32GB in stock, so exchange would be difficult.
    So after all of my waffle my question is , How much difference would the extra 16GB make.
    Thanks for reading and maybe help me decide !!
    01-03-12 01:28 PM
    I agree with rrrebo and disagree with psycho1.

Since you have the new BB Bold 9930, it will work beautifully. This morning I went into the bank to get a bank draft to send funds to cover a holiday condo rental. The owner had sent me the banking instructions in a .doc file attached to an email. At the teller counter, I was able to open the .doc file on my playbook and show it to the teller so she could easily read and type out the info into her bank computer. As she was finishing up the paperwork, I typed an email to the owner telling her the deposit had been made. I attached a photo of the foreign exchange receipt (taken at the teller counter using my playbook) so she would know what exchange rate was used.

It is so useful for mobile professionals. I'm certain once os2 is released next month, it'll be even better than it is now.

Regarding the corporate shenanigans, I wouldn't worry about that. RIM is in no danger of going belly up. They may be taken over but if that happens, there is no way the new owners would terminate the tablet line just as this new device form is taking over from laptops. In my humble opinion, the tablet market has plenty of room to grow and has lots of room for this amazing 7" device.
    01-03-12 03:11 PM
    Seeing as you have a BB phone keep it and work around it's limitations. If you never owned a tablet then you will love it. If you didn't have a BB phone I would recomend you return it.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    01-03-12 04:52 PM
    Seeing as you have a BB phone keep it and work around it's limitations. If you never owned a tablet then you will love it. If you didn't have a BB phone I would recomend you return it.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    I don't have a BB phone and my PB is attached to my hip.

Beyond its business capabilities, its a regular camera, a HD video camera, a full gps with a BB phone and a sorta gps without one. Its a music player, a superb video player. A great web browser not to mention the ton of great mindless games to amuse you. My current addictions are Bubble Birds (free) and Wig Wag (boggle like game - .99 ). You can set it up for remote access to your home computer, and a ton of other things as well. I keep learning new things I can do with it.

oh yeah and a great ereader as well.
    vedwardsiii likes this.
    01-03-12 05:24 PM
    I bought my 16gb last September. At first, I thought I had made a mistake. It seemed like tablets, in general, were a solution looking for a problem. It was really just my own habits. I was used to doing things a certain way since I didn't have a tablet. Over time, I've used my netbook less and less and my Playbook more and more. I find myself adjusting to doing things a different way now that I have a highly portable tablet computer. And the Playbook just keeps getting better and better. While there are bugs, the current OS2 beta is very very good. I say, open it up and take a chance, but expect that it will be awhile before you really begin to realize what it can do for you. It's just a very different way of computing.
    01-03-12 06:06 PM
    hello, I have a similar problem, my daughter bought me a 16GB Playbook, also as yet unopened. My problem is that as she bought it a while before Christmas she paid as much for it as a 32GB Playbook is now. According to receipt I have until 21st Jan to return it for a refund or exchange.
    That seems straight forward exept that she is in Austarlia at the moment and not back until after that date, and paid by credit card.
    No local stores have the 32GB in stock, so exchange would be difficult.
    So after all of my waffle my question is , How much difference would the extra 16GB make.
    Thanks for reading and maybe help me decide !!
    Depends how you want to use it, I suppose, but for most users including me, 16GB is plenty. This is just the "hard drive" storage, so will not affect how the device operates unless you really do run out. Some people load their tablets up with pirated movies and like/need the extra storage; but, where do you draw the line? If you fill up 16GB, you're probably going to fill up 64GB soon as well. Probably better to use your PC's hard drive to archive, and transfer files to the Playbook as needed via USB...
    01-03-12 06:29 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD