Did anyone pick up the journal case Staples has for the playbook? It looks quality and useful for bringing the PB ariund from office to office and on work sites, but the $59.99 price tag seems a little steep.

Anyone using it right now?
    04-20-11 09:08 PM
    I bought one and am using it right now. I REALLY like it!
    04-20-11 09:10 PM
    I bought one, and I have mixed feelings. It looks really nice and is built solidly, but the function is poor. It has tremendously increased the difficulty of pressing the power and volume buttons, to the point of impossibility. When the cover is folded back, the device is in a reverse incline, forcing upside down usage on the tabletop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 09:16 PM
    sounds really nice but I'm so tired of overpriced accessories based largely on popularity (or the anticipation thereof).

I saw the screen protector - $25 - for a thin piece of plastic. It's crazy.
    04-20-11 09:19 PM
    i really liked the look and feel of the leather on the journal case but i went with the convertible case instead because i wanted to be able to stand the PB up. i like it except it makes the power button even harder to use so i just stopped using it. just let the screen sleep on its own and then wake it with the finger swipe.
    04-20-11 09:36 PM
    Did anyone pick up the journal case Staples has for the playbook? It looks quality and useful for bringing the PB ariund from office to office and on work sites, but the $59.99 price tag seems a little steep.

Anyone using it right now?
    Nope, I'm most likely going to get the "Not There" case featured on CB's main page.
    04-20-11 09:48 PM
    Question about the journal case, in the picture on staples it looks like it has a string to keep it closed?
    04-20-11 09:57 PM
    Question about the journal case, in the picture on staples it looks like it has a string to keep it closed?

There's an elastic strap across the back. I actually wondered what it was for and then I read your post. LOL I think you can flip it around to hold the journal case closed. But, I have not used it at all and have had no problems with the case staying closed.
    04-21-11 08:27 AM
    LOL its a "Journal" case, has anyone ever owned a journal, most have a string/elastic.
    04-21-11 08:33 AM
    LOL its a "Journal" case, has anyone ever owned a journal, most have a string/elastic.

I'm not a writer and have never enjoyed writing so I never owned or kept a journal
    04-21-11 09:00 AM
    I'm not a writer and have never enjoyed writing so I never owned or kept a journal
    My apologies no offence intended.
    04-21-11 09:04 AM
    My apologies no offence intended.

I'm not offended I just thought I'd explain why I didn't see what the elastic was for right away. It's not because I'm a total boob LOL
    04-21-11 09:09 AM
    The Cheap Route usually fails! I tried a case from ebay and the damn this covers the borders so much I can't use any of the gestures that start there! My Piel Frama case is working very well!
    04-21-11 09:39 AM
    Looks really nice but why would you want this one instead of the convertible case? Honest question. The convertible case is cheaper and can function as a stand.
    04-21-11 10:18 AM
    Can anyone put up a video review? THat would be awesome!!

Question: how is typing with the front cover folded back? I love typing on the Playbook in portrait mode and am wondering if it is difficult to do that with this case.

Thanks.
    kpmel likes this.
    04-21-11 11:12 PM
    I bought the Journal case. While the case is nice, I have to agree that it makes the power and volume buttons almost unusable! Not too thrilled with that.

Guess I got spoiled by the original iPad convertible cover.
    04-23-11 06:05 PM
    Looks really nice but why would you want this one instead of the convertible case? Honest question. The convertible case is cheaper and can function as a stand.
    1) Because the stand isn't a big deal to me. (but it would be nice)
    2) I hated the way the convertible case's material felt
    3) I like the elastic because it makes me feel like if I drop the thing when its closed it won't pop open mid-flight and then cease to protect the screen.
    04-23-11 06:26 PM
    i just returned mine. you cant charge the pb while the case is closed. also like everyone is saying the case makes the buttons on top barely usable.

will be getting the otterbox case
    04-23-11 06:50 PM
    I love my journal case. Yes, it's overpriced, but I felt I needed a case for protection, and I didn't like any other cases. Otterbox Defender series is too bulky for my taste (love the Commuter series, have it on my BB). The volume and power buttons are difficult to adjust, but I don't use them enough for it too be too inconvenient. I carry my PB everywhere and the journal case offers enough protection and looks like I'm just carrying a Moleskin nootebook (very understated). With a Zagg Invisishield, I feel my PB is protected, yet still ultra portable.
    06-16-11 12:12 AM
    I also love the journal case. At first the design seems a bit unusual but makes sense for the most part when you really think about button and port placement of the playbook. The journal case seems to protect well and has a very classy look.
    06-16-11 01:15 AM
    Hint on the volume buttons on the Journal case. Don't hit the edge of them but push in the middle of the button. Once you are used to pressing it that way it works flawlessly (power still sucks but I never turn my PB off).

Love my journal case, yes it needs to be open to charge... but that also means those ports are covered when it is closed to keep out the lint and other nasties that are in your bag/purse/briefcase. To me the professional look of the case outweighed the fact it is not a stand.
    06-16-11 01:19 AM
    I know I'm a total geek but the neoprene wetsuit case that came with it works just fine lol I like the feel of my playbook naked when I play with it.

Happy to see people settling down and talking about cases instead of OS bugs, cases have been a big topic today ... I guess that means Playbook is a keeper.
    06-16-11 01:39 AM
    Odered mines already should be here by next week.
    06-16-11 06:02 AM
    I use the journal case and it is fantastic looking case and it does a dam fine job of actually protecting the playboo, the only short coming is you can't charge it when it is closed.
    06-16-11 06:21 AM
    1) Because the stand isn't a big deal to me. (but it would be nice)
    2) I hated the way the convertible case's material felt
    3) I like the elastic because it makes me feel like if I drop the thing when its closed it won't pop open mid-flight and then cease to protect the screen.
    #3 is a good point. but i also experienced when dining out, often wish i dont have to lay playbook flat on table as one of my hands is not free. i agree otherwise there is rarely a need to stand it up but hold by hands as it is not a 10" pad that can be left standing then watch from distance, have to keep it close.
    10-26-11 11:12 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD