I can honestly say that my PlayBook has turned into a piece of (fill in the blank).

- try and restart.....NOTHING
    - try and reboot.....NOTHING
    - try and connect with my laptop (when it's actually working).....NOTHING
    - try and listen to music while sitting in the charging pod......a song will play for 5 seconds and then switch to another song, play 5 seconds and switch to another song, etc
    - try and listen to music and the song will STOP. Swipe and the song continues
    - one day I took it out of the pod and left it on the table. I returned 10 minutes later to find that five apps had opened up and a song was playing.

To say that I am REALLY pissed off would be a massive under statement.

I don't know what to do.
    09-18-13 02:49 AM
    You sound frustrated

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 02:53 AM
    Do ya think?
    09-18-13 02:56 AM
    Paranormal activity. :O
    09-18-13 06:14 AM
    Did you update to latest os that came out last week?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 06:25 AM
    What did you do to it? Are you in showcase mode?
    09-18-13 06:34 AM
    I can honestly say that my PlayBook has turned into a piece of (fill in the blank).

- try and restart.....NOTHING
    - try and reboot.....NOTHING
    - try and connect with my laptop (when it's actually working).....NOTHING
    - try and listen to music while sitting in the charging pod......a song will play for 5 seconds and then switch to another song, play 5 seconds and switch to another song, etc
    - try and listen to music and the song will STOP. Swipe and the song continues
    - one day I took it out of the pod and left it on the table. I returned 10 minutes later to find that five apps had opened up and a song was playing.

To say that I am REALLY pissed off would be a massive under statement.

I don't know what to do.
    Have you searched these forums about that problem? I'm sure I have heard of similar issues. I believe certain things can interfere with the touch screen, and cause weird things to happen. Has anything changed in the environment that you usually use your playbook? New electronic equipment (TV etc.). Have you tried operating the Playbook somewhere else (say in the garden or street) and see if you still get the same problem?
    FF22 likes this.
    09-18-13 06:55 AM
    Sounds like a PlayBook possessed.

The description of symptoms come up pretty close to an interference in the touchscreen input. I get the same behaviour in winter when I bring in the PlayBook from the cold - screen frozen or accepting touch input with difficulty, random programs opening and random features operating, generally behaving like it is possessed. Only a reboot brings things back to normal. Proximity to the wrong electronic device will also trigger odd behaviour that generally amount to effects from the touchscreen's sensitivity to electronic signals and electrostatic discharges.

I'm with the previous poster: there may be some electronic interference / electrostatic influence happening from an external device or in the environment. Taking the PlayBook away from that location and rebooting it may clear up the problems. Also, make sure the touchscreen is clean and free from conductive contaminants that can be deposited by errant young hands or curious pets.
    09-18-13 07:18 AM
    How old is the pb? Warranty? Did you get it wet/damp in some fashion? But I agree with the electrostatic ideas suggested? Oh, plugged into charger or just unattached?
    09-18-13 08:37 AM
    How old is the pb? Warranty? Did you get it wet/damp in some fashion? But I agree with the electrostatic ideas suggested? Oh, plugged into charger or just unattached?
    It may be time to do a wipe/reload of the OS. I know it's a pain in the *ss, but After a couple of years on my 1st PB, I had to do it, Just wasn't acting right, and I bit the bullet, and all was happy within 2 hrs. That would be the last ditch effort, but as long as you batteries are healthy, it will be like a new PB. Just copy your data/files/images/movies/music to a directory on your PC desktop, wipe/reload OS, then drag/drop your items, and all should be rosy in the world.

c
    09-18-13 09:02 AM
    Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and/or suggestions.

- I have updated the OS
    - To my knowledge I haven't been doing anything different. I am not sure what showcase mode is.
    - I have spent a lot of time searching these forums for similar problems. I have tried the suggestions with regards to restarting or rebooting.
    - The problems seemed to start when I moved to a new house at the beginning of August. I'm not really sure if there's any new electronic signals in the area. The problems are at home and work.
    - The PB is close to two years old so I'm assuming the warranty is gone. It's never been wet/damp or dropped.
    - Lately when it's not plugged in and I try to restart or reboot, it hangs on the BlackBerry PlayBook screen with the changing colors. If I turn it off and then plug it into the wall charger it seems to come back to life but it takes longer than normal to come back.

The fact that my laptop (desktop software or usb connection) doesn't recognize it when I plug it in is a concern. The software does recognize my 9780.

The suggestion of paranormal activity definitely crossed my mind, especially after the song started to play and the five apps opened up. By the way, the song that was playing......."Highway to Hell" by ACDC
    09-18-13 09:41 AM
    Well just to clarify, when you said you updated the OS, does that mean you have done a security wipe like Carl recommended?

Also, you can try the BB link software instead of the desktop manager software to see if that will get your pc to recognize playbook when connected via usb.

I agree with Carl and think a security wipe and reload of the OS, not an update would be helpful.

Good luck
    09-18-13 09:51 AM
    Cynycl .....

I just did the update that was available, not a wipe. What is the BB link software?
    If I do the reload: a) how do I do it?
    b) does that mean EVERYTHING is gone (paid apps included)?
    09-18-13 10:00 AM
    Cynycl .....

I just did the update that was available, not a wipe. What is the BB link software?
    Here is a link:

To perform a full wipe/re-install of the Playbook OS. All you have to do is get past the guy eating his dinner. Simple.

All you want to do is plug into the computer and copy all of your docs: images, music, vids, docs to a directory on your Desktop. Then, do the wipe-install. Once that is done, then you plug the PB into your pc again and replace/drap/drop your docs, etc. back into your PB.

The Apps and such, you will have to go to BB App world and re-install your apps. no charge, already paid for. The ONLY thing you might lose are your progress levels in games and such.

c
    gp2002 likes this.
    09-18-13 10:09 AM
    Cynycl .....

gp2002 - like the others suggested, a security wipe and re-load may be helpful. The BB web site has details, but in general, you'll find the option under the main settings menu under Security (or similar - I'm not looking at mine right now). This wipes out everything, setting your PB back to "out of the box condition". You'll be starting over, and the PB will detect that you need to update the software (depending on when you bought it, the wipe will take it back to either v 1.0 or 2.0). Once the newest operating system is restored, when you open BB World, all of your paid (and free) apps fro BB World will be available to re-load (you won't have to pay, assuming you use your same BB user id). However, any sideloaded Android apps will be gone - they will have to be re-loaded from the original converted .bar files.

I am experiencing one of the problems you mention - my laptop isn't always recognizing my PB when I connect it through the USB port. I have found that by trying different USB ports on my laptop it then is recognized.
    Carl Estes and gp2002 like this.
    09-18-13 10:16 AM
    Thanks for that Stephen_TX and Carl
    09-18-13 10:21 AM
    I watched the video which was very helpful.

My only concern is what if my computer does not recognize the PlayBook when I plug the usb in because lately it has not been working?
    09-18-13 10:59 AM

My only concern is what if my computer does not recognize the PlayBook when I plug the usb in because lately it has not been working?
    Try the BB Link software instead of the Desktop Manager, it may work better for you
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-18-13 11:49 AM

You will find that out when you at least the attempt to copy all of your music, docs, images, and "stuff" to someplace on your desktop. The FIRST step in doing the wipe/restore of the OS.

Keep us posted...

c
    09-18-13 12:39 PM

Here's another way to transfer files without using the USB connection - wirelessly. See the following article from BB's Knowledge Base:
    KB26068
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-18-13 01:41 PM
    Yeah, you can everything wirelessly, with the exception of backing up and restoring your apps and settings. You can manually backup your media through wifi, and you can do a security wipe to reload the OS via wifi.
    09-18-13 06:32 PM
    Here's another way to transfer files without using the USB connection - wirelessly. See the following article from BB's Knowledge Base:
    KB26068
    Sorry Stephen.....how do I find KB26068?

Cheers
    09-19-13 09:01 AM

Cheers
    He's referencing a BB knowlegde base article, you can find on BB web site. You can also search in the search box at the top of the forum page for wifi transfer with playbook or just Google your search. Lots of info out there and likely a few youtube videos as well. Seems to be a youtube video for how to do everything on the playbook.
    gp2002 likes this.
    09-19-13 09:05 AM
    He's referencing a BB knowlegde base article, you can find on BB web site. You can also search in the search box at the top of the forum page for wifi transfer with playbook or just Google your search. Lots of info out there and likely a few youtube videos as well. Seems to be a youtube video for how to do everything on the playbook.
    Cynycl's correct!
    09-19-13 09:58 AM

Cheers
    Here is the toolkit.

http://www.troubleshootingtoolkit.co...?lang=1&id=223

Here is the Knowledge Base.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...s/microsite.do

And here is the article.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    Last edited by jpash549; 09-19-13 at 11:46 AM.
    09-19-13 11:36 AM
45 12