Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and this is my first post, so please be kind

I am a huge Apple fan, always have been, always will be.

I have owned every iteration of iPhone (and currently own the 4), as well as an iPad. I got rid of my iPad last year when I purchased a Macbook Air 11" and realized that it was far more capable than the iPad for my 4 hour (roundtrip) daily commute on the train.

Now, I am back in the market for a portable tablet that will allow me to do work (the main web-interface I use for work is flash based *sigh*) and not carry around a laptop case. I have looked at the iPad 2, I have looked at the Motorola Xoom, I have looked at the 7" Galaxy Tab, and obviously at the PlayBook.

Needless to say, and to cut to the chase, i pre-ordered PlayBook from BB yesterday and cannot wait to receive it, it seems like the ultimate portable device, capable of everything I need it to do, and quite honestly the most polished interface i've seen since the iPad.

SO, here's my question, I 've seen every video possible on youtube and read about the apps, the features, etc.. but I find that there is in general, a LACK of information regarding specifics of the device, that I simply find astounding!

I have an iPhone 4, I will not get a BlackBerry cell phone anytime soon.

I don't care too much about BBM, given that I've never owned a blackberry and therefore have no contacts-

What i AM worried about is the ability to receive email. I *need* Exchange support on the device. Is there really NO native email client on the PlayBook? Is this really true? If so, I'm hopeful someone will have one up and running on the App World soon, because to me, a "professional tablet" with no native email (I'm sorry but the "bridge" just doesn't cut it), is an immediate deal-breaker, and i will regretfully have to return it after receiving it, or cancel my order before it ships.

On the same note, have we found out if the PlayBook will connect to AdHoc WiFi networks? I ask because currently I can create WiFi hotspots on my iPhone4 using MyWi, and this is key for me to be able to work while on my commute.

And lastly, of all the videos of on-board apps I've seen, I have yet to see one that dives into specifics about Kobo for Playbook- I'd love to see if there are page-turn animations, how fast the books load, selection, etc.. Has anyone had a chance to play with Kobo for Playbook?

Anyhow, thanks for bearing with my long post, and I look forward to integrating this community once I become a BlackBerry owner for the first time

Cheers.
    03-23-11 10:02 AM
    Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and this is my first post, so please be kind

I am a huge Apple fan, always have been, always will be.

I have owned every iteration of iPhone (and currently own the 4), as well as an iPad. I got rid of my iPad last year when I purchased a Macbook Air 11" and realized that it was far more capable than the iPad for my 4 hour (roundtrip) daily commute on the train.

Now, I am back in the market for a portable tablet that will allow me to do work (the main web-interface I use for work is flash based *sigh*) and not carry around a laptop case. I have looked at the iPad 2, I have looked at the Motorola Xoom, I have looked at the 7" Galaxy Tab, and obviously at the PlayBook.

Needless to say, and to cut to the chase, i pre-ordered PlayBook from BB yesterday and cannot wait to receive it, it seems like the ultimate portable device, capable of everything I need it to do, and quite honestly the most polished interface i've seen since the iPad.

SO, here's my question, I 've seen every video possible on youtube and read about the apps, the features, etc.. but I find that there is in general, a LACK of information regarding specifics of the device, that I simply find astounding!

I have an iPhone 4, I will not get a BlackBerry cell phone anytime soon.

I don't care too much about BBM, given that I've never owned a blackberry and therefore have no contacts-

What i AM worried about is the ability to receive email. I *need* Exchange support on the device. Is there really NO native email client on the PlayBook? Is this really true? If so, I'm hopeful someone will have one up and running on the App World soon, because to me, a "professional tablet" with no native email (I'm sorry but the "bridge" just doesn't cut it), is an immediate deal-breaker, and i will regretfully have to return it after receiving it, or cancel my order before it ships.

On the same note, have we found out if the PlayBook will connect to AdHoc WiFi networks? I ask because currently I can create WiFi hotspots on my iPhone4 using MyWi, and this is key for me to be able to work while on my commute.

And lastly, of all the videos of on-board apps I've seen, I have yet to see one that dives into specifics about Kobo for Playbook- I'd love to see if there are page-turn animations, how fast the books load, selection, etc.. Has anyone had a chance to play with Kobo for Playbook?

Anyhow, thanks for bearing with my long post, and I look forward to integrating this community once I become a BlackBerry owner for the first time

Cheers.
    for right now that is true, there is no activesync/exchange support. You will have to check your company email via the web if available. they say there will be a native email and calender as the platform evolves but even then im not sure if you will get the exchange support you need. Your best bet might be a 3g/4g model. Im crossing my fingers they have exchange/activesync support but no holding my breath
    03-23-11 10:11 AM
    I'm in the same boat. What Matt said is true and I'll also toss this in because my plan was to use MyWi also but it seems like AT&T may be cutting down on that

I'm wondering if someone is going to do something like TouchDown for the PB like Android also I'm not sure the 3G/4G will have active sync. It will probably be BES only
    03-23-11 10:15 AM
    First off, as to the email, there probably won't be a native email app at launch. There probably will be one in a future software update, and until then there probably is a third-party one, or you can use your web browser same as if you were on your computer.

I am pretty much positive that it has been said a week or so ago (though I might have misinterpreted) that the PlayBook can connect to the internet through any smartphone with WiFi hotspots.

I think that there was a CrackBerry video from CES or something else more than a month ago where there was a 15 second or so demontration of Kobo that included showing that it did load quickly, and there were page-turning animations. To see the selection just download the Kobo app onto your iPhone. It should be the same library.

If you have any problems with the PlayBook when you get it, or if you have any more questions before then, these forums are a good place to be.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-11 10:17 AM
    IPhone4 to Playbook Wi-fi access

Hi all. I have an iphone 4 and I've just purchased a playbook, which so far I love, except for trying to get internet access through my iphone.

I've read up many threads on here, and since then, I've changed my iphone name to a simple one, i.e. "iphone" because someone said it would work.

I've set-up my personal hotspot and the iphone and playbook do connect. The iphone shows the Personal Hotspot is connected, and the WIFI connection does come through the phone, so that part of it works. However, when I try to browse anything on the internet it doesn't load and I get the "no network connection".

I'm at my wits end, and I don't know what else to do. My carrier is Rogers and the playbook works fine with my home wi-fi, but not with my iphone. Can anyone help??? Thanks!
    02-13-12 04:02 PM
    I have the iPhone 4 as well, and I actually just posted a thread a few days ago giving step by step instructions on how I got it to successfully tether my wifi for the PlayBook. I didn't use MyWi, I used PDAnet - which after some digging I found that it had better connections with the PlayBook over MyWi.

As far as the email goes, once OS 2.0 hits you'll be able to set up an email account no problem.

Here is the thread I did for the wifi setup with the iPhone 4:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...iphone-696799/
    02-13-12 05:08 PM
    Have you tried connecting something else to your iphones hotspot to see if it's possibly something with the phone. I have no problems at all with my iphone's hotspot. I am with Telus.
    Last edited by testerdennis; 02-13-12 at 05:15 PM.
    02-13-12 05:10 PM
    I'm with Rogers too and my iPhone 4 tethers w/out any issues. In fact wi-fi strength is consistently strong compared to the home router. Hope this helps.
    02-13-12 05:38 PM
    I will say I just tried this on my iphone. PDAnet works good for me. But I am jailbroken.
    02-13-12 05:57 PM
    Problem with pdanet is you need to jailbreak your iPhone, and I'm not willing to do that and throw away any factory or extended warranty I have on my phones. For a paltry $4.99 per month and no contract, TruConnect - No Contract Mobile Internet is the best deal on planet earth for 3G tethering of your iPhone with your PlayBook.
    02-13-12 06:19 PM
    well PDAnet isnt working for me...crap!
    02-13-12 07:27 PM
    JUST UPGRADED and RE-JAILBROKE my iphone4

took about 90 minutes... but that includes downloading all the programs, backup and restoring all my 10GB of music.

I did lose all my apps though, but i dont really care for that bc I dont use them much.

I am pretty disappointed about the notification center though, the LockInfo Cydia app is MUCH better!

*Tested the personal hotspot and it worked without issue!!!
    02-13-12 11:00 PM
    IPhone4 to Playbook Wi-fi access

Hi all. I have an iphone 4 and I've just purchased a playbook, which so far I love, except for trying to get internet access through my iphone.

I've read up many threads on here, and since then, I've changed my iphone name to a simple one, i.e. "iphone" because someone said it would work.

I've set-up my personal hotspot and the iphone and playbook do connect. The iphone shows the Personal Hotspot is connected, and the WIFI connection does come through the phone, so that part of it works. However, when I try to browse anything on the internet it doesn't load and I get the "no network connection".

I'm at my wits end, and I don't know what else to do. My carrier is Rogers and the playbook works fine with my home wi-fi, but not with my iphone. Can anyone help??? Thanks!
    Weird we have all these iphone\PB threads going on. Anyway, I wrote out the steps to connect using personal hotspot from an iphone at 5.01 to PB, see my post here (Im jailbroken, but its not required):

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9/#post7121654

Maybe it can help you, cheers!
    02-14-12 05:01 AM
    JUST UPGRADED and RE-JAILBROKE my iphone4

took about 90 minutes... but that includes downloading all the programs, backup and restoring all my 10GB of music.

I did lose all my apps though, but i dont really care for that bc I dont use them much.

I am pretty disappointed about the notification center though, the LockInfo Cydia app is MUCH better!

*Tested the personal hotspot and it worked without issue!!!

That is interesting you say that, since I read an article in the local paper the other day, and there was an indepth story on tablets and app availability. The article went on to say that while Apple indeed had a huge app base, that for the most part, many users who went hog wild buying apps or downloading freebies, wound up using less then 10% of those apps, and typically, the apps they used most already came with their tablets. The article only served to confirm to me what I already knew, and that this whole eco-system app availabilty mantra is way overblown.
    02-14-12 05:19 AM
    I have a iphone 4 on 5.01 jailbroke with 20 gig of music and 150 apps. It took me 30 min in all to backup, jailbreak, and reload all music and apps. I use tetherme from cydia to tether my playbook and iphone. Sometimes it takes a minute or two for my playbook to connect to my phones hot spot but it works everyone and I can connect to the internet and browse any Web page just as I as I am sitting at my home Wifi. I followed the jailbreak instructions from iphoneforums. This was my first attempt at jailbreaking my iphone. I am also using playbook beta .7111. I haven't done anything special. It works fine
    02-14-12 06:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD