Strategic on Apple's part but I'm wondering if it'll prove to be a significant blow to the PB's success.

Thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-10 10:09 PM
    Wouldn't surprise if the release dates are close. But all I have to say is bring it on apple!

12-05-10 10:15 PM
    and this day would be...

and yes it would certainly hurt PB sales since it would still be unseen for most of the public while the ipad is already known and has a pretty good rep
    12-05-10 10:30 PM
    If this is the case, RIM needs to make and put up a PB commercial on TV on multiple channels AT LEAST A MONTH BEFORE D-Day. If they don't, they can pretty much guarantee that most people who aren't BB followers in the news outlets won't know about it.

And no RIM, your press release demo video won't cut it. You need something better then that. I hope your marketing company can come up with something better then what we've all seen so far for the Torch or BBM commercials. Those are a joke.

And what I mean by that is that when I watch those videos my inner voice doesn't say "Wow, I want to do that!" It says "I can do that with Android, iPhone, WinMO, etc." If you can't change that viewpoint from your audience, expect the same substandard turnout and embrace of your offerings.

12-05-10 10:57 PM
    and this day would be...

and yes it would certainly hurt PB sales since it would still be unseen for most of the public while the ipad is already known and has a pretty good rep
    Its sometime in April. No official date, persay, just a speculated month.

12-05-10 11:04 PM

I have to say, I agree. Their marketing department is going to be put to the test.

12-05-10 11:06 PM
    I think these initial demos at various places are simply to keep things ticking over on the pr front after they decided they had to announce it sooner than usual in order to drum up interest in advance from 3rd party developers, if they were going heavier with the promotion at this time then people would simply get bored of the advertising while waiting for it to come out in the new year.
    12-05-10 11:50 PM
    I think these initial demos at various places are simply to keep things ticking over on the pr front after they decided they had to announce it sooner than usual in order to drum up interest in advance from 3rd party developers, if they were going heavier with the promotion at this time then people would simply get bored of the advertising while waiting for it to come out in the new year.
    What initial demos? Should be "demo" because each video shows the same things we saw in the previous videos. I'm still waiting to see new content.

12-05-10 11:54 PM
    If this is the case, RIM needs to make and put up a PB commercial on TV on multiple channels AT LEAST A MONTH BEFORE D-Day. If they don't, they can pretty much guarantee that most people who aren't BB followers in the news outlets won't know about it.

And no RIM, your press release demo video won't cut it. You need something better then that. I hope your marketing company can come up with something better then what we've all seen so far for the Torch or BBM commercials. Those are a joke.

And what I mean by that is that when I watch those videos my inner voice doesn't say "Wow, I want to do that!" It says "I can do that with Android, iPhone, WinMO, etc." If you can't change that viewpoint from your audience, expect the same substandard turnout and embrace of your offerings.

this! i need to be shown why i should spent $500-600 for a BB Playbook when i can get several nice android tablets that will do the same things and more than what RIM has shown us and it will cost half that much and I can get them right now
    12-06-10 04:52 AM
    this! i need to be shown why i should spent $500-600 for a BB Playbook when i can get several nice android tablets that will do the same things and more than what RIM has shown us and it will cost half that much and I can get them right now
    The thing about all these commercials is they always seem to want to show us how nice watching movies would be.

I have a 10 year old 7" dvd player that does that. And plays music CD's as well.

What was it Janet Jackson said? "What have you done for me lately?"
    12-06-10 06:45 AM
    The thing about all these commercials is they always seem to want to show us how nice watching movies would be.

I have a 10 year old 7" dvd player that does that. And plays music CD's as well.

What was it Janet Jackson said? "What have you done for me lately?"
    I agree with this. Stop showing me freaking movies. I want to see the UI in action, some apps running, show me what it can do. To be honest I don't care about having 1080p on a small screen. This is the same problem I have with the upcoming ADAM device also, shows videos of the device playing a video. That's an expensive movie player.

I'm also tired of hearing about devices having flash and then they show youtube. Hulu won't allow mobile devices but show me something from ABC,USA, NBC or something if you want to show a streaming movie.

If Apple does plan on releasing around the same time as RIM then RIM really has to step it up because there are some Android tablets coming out also and will have 3.0. I've seen I don't know how many iPad commericals the past few months. Apple has allowed the iPad to be sold at Walmart/Sams, Target, BestBuy so that gives them more Brick and Mortar visibility and I feel Apple did this because they know Android and RIM have some nice devices coming out and to stay in the forefront they need to be as visible as possible.

I like what the PB has as far as specs but I'm still not sold just yet when there are Android tablets coming out that will be optimized, has apps and isn't such an unknown.
    12-06-10 10:04 AM

IF that is the Rumor I really don't put much faith in it

BOTH RIM and Rogers are talking heavily about Q1 Release dates,

Jan/Feb/March that is Q1, if you are going to push heavy on a Q1 release date you plan it for Feb, that way if their is a delay, you have a month to solve it and you don't have to apologize for said delay.

I am with Civic here, that RIM needs to pump out some "it's coming" commercials.

They need to really address "Blackberry Amplified!"
    a commercial showing how the BB connects with the playbook,
    They need to show wireless syncing, and Flash video's and games,

REALLY If I was RIM I would be looking at a Flash Game website, to buy into, to leverage that for Games out of the box, having a banner ad on various flash based websites saying Soon you can brows this site from your Blackberry Play book.

The iPad commercial is a very good commercial just showing off the basics of the MANY uses of an iPad, RIM needs to address what it does new/better and let people realize hey I don't need an ipad I'll get the Playbook with my BB. Focus on BB users first, then start looking at getting non BB users to buy the Playbook + an Blackberry.
    12-06-10 10:35 AM
    show me angry birds on the PB and it will draw me in a little more lol
    12-06-10 10:58 AM
    if they are the same date, I wonder which line-up will be longer.
    12-06-10 02:14 PM
    Q1 has been stated. CX has said January (I'd guess late). That easily gives a month still. Now- in 1977, Geroge Lucas did an amazing thing. He sold empty boxes (Kenner Toys - Early Bird Certificate Package). That's good marketing. Think about it, RIM.

12-06-10 02:45 PM
    if they are the same date, I wonder which line-up will be longer.
    Apple...People seem to camp out for that stuff like it's Black Friday. I'm just ready for this thing to get far enough along that it gets into some reviewers hand.
    12-06-10 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD