One thing that has really impressed me is the amount of large developing firms and content providers investing so heavily into the platform..by that I imply investing their interest(currently working on providing products)..as far as titans go...RIM has some of the biggest and most influencial devs for the consumer/enterprise market very thrilled and excited for the platform. The sheer scale of interest as far as content providers goes, IMHO is unrivaled on a new platform launch in recent memory!

The extent to which QNX on PB and hh's in the future will support sdk's puts RIM in a position to have no peer or rival for many years to come...the magnitude of future support is just to a point it's very difficult to comprehend...as it transcends the barriers of anything currently possible. Wow is all I can say..

Remember we have only seen the basics demoed on this platform, which already out perform anything on the market...just wait until devs actualy exploit it's potential to it's limits...

One things for sure..If I was a talented dev...I would be very excited to work on a platform where I can extend to the furthest reach of my potential..very gifted and talented people will thrive on this platform !!!!! Why else would TAT be so thrilled to be on board????
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-25-11 at 06:12 PM.
    03-25-11 05:51 PM
    One should understand that stock market is not a one way street. And my targets are really for the long term and not for short-term.

Stock prices can be driven by the perception of the market on company's initiatives.

If you really want to analyze the reasons for RIM stock to dip so much after their earnings release and want to see if the dip is justified, you should look at the details.

RIM did beat EPS estimation for Q4. It has given a lower guidance for the next quarter due to-->
    1. Heavy investments RIM is making in marketing PlayBook and heavy investments in it's platform.
    2. New phones won't be launched in the coming quarter.

But, RIM has given a significantly higher than street estimated guidance for the year going forward. The street has pretty much decided to ignore this.

Street is worried that RIM is making a huge investment on PlayBook and QNX and is worried that this strategy might fail. If PlayBook and QNX are going to fail, hammering of RIM stocks is justified.

But being a technology company, RIM can't stay competitive without investing in new products/technology and going aggressive in the market. RIM was a company which was very conservative in approach and this is the whole reason why RIM let many other companies go ahead in the high end smartphone market and RIM has been highly critisized for this. If RIM has decided to change from this approach and is ready to take risks for greater growth I think it's a good move and well worth the gamble.

So, there is always an other side to such a major technology initiative. If the gamble works and PlayBook and QNX become highly successful RIMM stock can see the great heights that I have mentioned.

My analysis pretty much makes assumption that PlayBook and QNX will be very successful initiatives for RIM. If the assumption goes wrong, my analysis will be wrong. Only time can answer if this assumption will come true or not. Street hammering RIMM stocks is not proof that this assumption is wrong.

One should do a fundamental analysis and take a call.

If you want to jump on the bandwagon, if you want to feel more secure by believing what the street believes will always be true, of course you know what to do

If one want to jump into the details, here are some interesting details from the earnings call of March 24th -->
    Research In Motion Reports Year-End and Fourth Quarter Results for Fiscal 2011 - Seeking Alpha

RIM Expands Application Ecosystem for BlackBerry PlayBook - Seeking Alpha
    Rimm has a fundamental problem. On its best day it produces the third best tablet and 3 best smart phone. There's not a lot of profit in being 3rd best and easily they can be 4th or 5th best if the PB doesn't come off well and they don't drastically improve the BB devises and soon. To date their technology is always behind and always buggy. Hopefully they get it all fixed but if history is our guide they won't.
    03-28-11 10:47 AM
    Is it true you will have to tether your PB to your BB to get cellular network access?
    03-28-11 10:50 AM
    Just seems like RIM is losing momentum.

Having a proprietary IM is a liability, not an asset; while it is a 'killer app', nobody I know has a Blackberry to BBM to, so my contacts are pretty much empty, while apps like Google Talk are cross-platform, are integrated with email account contacts, and have an easily discovered identity (no exchanging PINs, which are also awkwardly tied to a device, not a user). I would have a bigger Face Time contact list.

RIM doesn't have the wall of advertising saturation that Droid & iPhone are putting up. People respond to advertising, advertising tells consumer drones what is stylish and what they should buy so their friends think they are cool.

RIM doesn't have product diversity. Apple, Samsung, Motorola, etc: they have other products besides phones, the company will survive the complete faltering of one division.

RIM's users are those that appreciate a real keyboard. They were in early for tech users, being the e-mail phone, but have faltered in smartphone territory against the competition which has the CPU horsepower and screen to play Angry Birds, HD video, video chat, and has marketed their media capabilities hard. (Apple still is pure evil; they have locked their platform so you can install no OS, app, or media without it being approved by and getting 30% of it's profits leeched off by Apple, but shareholders like profit - BB OS 5.+ has perfect media for me: drag and drop mp3s in the OS, no sync software, DRM, or other crap, but no money going to my phone vendor either).

The only advantage RIM has is that they get a cut of the carrier's monthly data plan for BIS. BIS is there for what? - to get emails and IMs, and to proxy and simplify web pages for devices that can't handle the real Internet. Two or three bad quarters of not being the cool phone to have, and RIM is done (and when the bankruptcy court breaks them up, your device is dead in the water without the Blackberry servers).
    03-28-11 11:37 AM
    One thing that has really impressed me is the amount of large developing firms and content providers investing so heavily into the platform..by that I imply investing their interest(currently working on providing products)..as far as titans go...RIM has some of the biggest and most influencial devs for the consumer/enterprise market very thrilled and excited for the platform. The sheer scale of interest as far as content providers goes, IMHO is unrivaled on a new platform launch in recent memory!

The extent to which QNX on PB and hh's in the future will support sdk's puts RIM in a position to have no peer or rival for many years to come...the magnitude of future support is just to a point it's very difficult to comprehend...as it transcends the barriers of anything currently possible. Wow is all I can say..

Remember we have only seen the basics demoed on this platform, which already out perform anything on the market...just wait until devs actualy exploit it's potential to it's limits...

One things for sure..If I was a talented dev...I would be very excited to work on a platform where I can extend to the furthest reach of my potential..very gifted and talented people will thrive on this platform !!!!! Why else would TAT be so thrilled to be on board????
    @missing_K-W your comments kill me. you are very funny. when Angry Birds, the most successful mobile game ever is not available on the BB platform, doesn't that say something?!?
    03-28-11 03:17 PM
    Ok, you think I am manipulating the market. Call it lack of understanding of stock market

Let me give you guys few facts.

Average volume of RIMM stocks on Nashdaq is around 10 million stocks per day, so the value of daily transaction is around $650 million per day. Most of these transactions are done by institutional investors, not by small investors like you and me.

Each and every financial institution has it's own financial analysts who will be giving buy and sell call everyday for most of the major tickers. So any day there will be huge number of people who would have put buy call and huge number of people who would have put sell call on RIMM stock.

A small and inconsequential person like me for the financial industry giving a buy call on a technology fan site which is frequented by few hundreds of geeks, 90% of whom don't have any idea of stock market experience is not going to manipulate the market in any way.

In any case, I have days of research behind my article to back up my claims. My article is going through review process on seekingalpha.com and will be published soon. I will post the link.
    Isn't the NASHDAQ a river in India?
    03-28-11 03:42 PM
    There is only a tiny step separating investing and gambling.

99% of people working in Wall Street and in any financial markets don't know **** about the underlaying products. It's all about doing trades for the sake of doing trades -- money exchanging hands for no good fundamental reasons. Speculations amplify the trades. Scams amplify the profits. And you have most of the media and analysts (when they're not busy trying to intentionally manipulate the market), who are even more clueless, serving as spin doctors for building a smokescreen that gives the impression to the public that the market is highly logical and reasonable and that its people know what they are doing.

People interested in having an insider's look of the financial market should check out Michael Lewis' best sellers.
    03-28-11 04:41 PM
    @missing_K-W your comments kill me. you are very funny. when Angry Birds, the most successful mobile game ever is not available on the BB platform, doesn't that say something?!?
    That was a future based post..I'm aware of the present(I should note the past and present are of no concern to myself)...however I'm more concerned with the future(being aware of" what is" and what's to come)......my post history is available ...as you or anyone for that matter ,who cares to hold my future based opinions into account begining fall 2011...is very welcome to do so! And I hope you do

Now when you are finished pulling yourself up off the floor....

We'll begin a discussion of what you find so hard to believe...and we'll begin to put that into detailed account and perspective...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-11 05:02 PM
    What does it say about the QNX/PB platform?
    03-28-11 11:18 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD